Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

If Dragons (and Spirit Giants, the best giants) can be stand users, I definitely think the Constructed should draw some inspiration from the Pillar Man/Ultimate Lifeform side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean poo poo, why not.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What does "Stand" refer to in this case?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Golden Bee posted:

What does "Stand" refer to in this case?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can totally do it, just don't use the word Stand. "A ghostly projection of your soul that fights for you" is enough.

Dooo ittt

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

megane posted:

You can totally do it, just don't use the word Stand. "A ghostly projection of your soul that fights for you" is enough.

Dooo ittt

not emptyquoting

You've already explicitly referenced Jojo like two or three times in the inspiration stuff and names take the jump

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's something tacky about just saying stand. It's too explicit, which limits what can be done with it. Something like "the raw manifestation of your will, given force" is more versatile and draconic.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

There's something tacky about just saying stand. It's too explicit, which limits what can be done with it. Something like "the raw manifestation of your will, given force" is more versatile and draconic.

Also, until this post, I had no loving clue what this "stand" thing was or why people were excited.

Never assume your audience will get all of your pop-culture references.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I am way more excited about dragons than I was seeing that "armour and spear" and "manifest willpower" are things you can have as your shtick. Also much more excited having seen how much you managed to do with Giant.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DigitalRaven posted:

Also, until this post, I had no loving clue what this "stand" thing was or why people were excited.

It's going to be weird in the hands of people who do know it, since a weapon is not just a weapon, it's a narrative thing. If you've got a shield you can surf on it, you can chop trees with an axe. A jojo fan playing a dragon is going to go "My stand, Beethoven's Fifth, turns gravity off, so I don't give a poo poo about castle walls.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

chaos rhames posted:

DigitalRaven posted:

Yeah, it's really tacky and reference-y, which is why it was a joke post and not a thing I was going to keep in the game. Although now that I've posted it I guess I'm obligated to do something with it.

Something like that, perhaps. That's more appropriate.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So am I picking up right that dragon both encompasses "literally smaug" and also final fantasy dragoons and D&D sorcerors (with the "children of dragons" background thing going on)?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes. It is all of those things and also maybe a little anime.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Gnome, I was so "eh" on Dragons, but here we are now. I'm very excited this thing is finally about to be out there for everyone to try. My one regret is that it's going to be basically impossible to get my actual play recording group to switch over to this IMMEDIATELY as our ongoing campaign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I forget and don't know where to look to find this info: outside the dragon and the giant, what other LE playbooks are coming out?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Covok posted:

I forget and don't know where to look to find this info: outside the dragon and the giant, what other LE playbooks are coming out?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1383831

The winners were The Remnant, The Constructed, and The Dragon.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Covok posted:

The planned release schedule is currently as follows, in this order:

Fellowship core book, as soon as the art appears. Hopefully out by the end of this month. Physical book releases will be 3-6 weeks later, depending on initial drafts.

The Giant Expansion Pack. Adds the Giant playbook and the Powerful Playbooks mechanic. Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD. Kickstarter backers funded getting this PDF for free.

The Dragon Expansion Pack. Adds the Dragon playbook, the Burning tag, and new fire-based Gear options for some of the old playbooks. Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD. Kickstarter backers funded getting this PDF for free.

The Remnant Expansion Pack. Adds the Remnant playbook, the Ghost tag, and new undead-related Gear options for some of the old playbooks. Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD. Kickstarter backers funded getting this PDF for free.

The Constructed Expansion Pack. Adds the Constructed playbook and the Locked Bonds mechanic. Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD. Kickstarter backers funded getting this PDF for free.

The Remnant and Constructed may be released in the opposite order, depends on which has a stronger initial draft when I get to writing those up. The one with the weaker draft will spend a little more time in the oven. Once all those are released, there will also be a Kickstarter PDF Bundle available for purchase which will get you all of the above in PDF form at some kind of discount, I'll figure out pricing on that later.

Then the Post-Kickstarter Funded Content:

The Spider Expansion Pack. Adds the Spider playbook, the Poisonous tag, and new poison-related Gear options for some of the old playbooks. Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD.

The Pair Expansion Pack. Adds the Pair playbook and a multi-classing mechanic (maybe). Will be available in both print and tiny book PDF for the same price of 4.95 USD.

These two may also be released in opposite order, depending on stronger initial drafts, but the Spider is less complicated and also my baby so it'll probably come first.

And then The Big Maybes, which would be fairly far in the future, probably after some other non-Fellowship products come out, and I have no idea on the final price or availability of:

An Inverse Fellowship, converting my Inverse World setting to the Fellowship system. This book will give a new playbook (The Lantern, which makes a great foil to the Harbinger) and also a new Overlord playbook, The Horizon, which is for playing a world with no great evil, just a frontier to explore.

A Bizarre Fellowship, which is a setting shift to make the game more Jojos. This would be some kind of Gear/Core Move overhaul for every playbook to make your playbook's powers your Stand's powers. I have no idea if I could make this work in a remotely reasonable way but attempting to write it would be fun.

The Empire Expansion Pack, which would give a new Overlord playbook for playing as the Overlord who has already succeeded in their mission, and the players play as the freedom fighters attempting to overthrow a world that is against them at every turn. It would replace Fellowship moves with some kind of Rebellion mechanic and completely change every part of the Overlord rules. This is far and away the most ambitious expansion, which is why as cool and thematic as it would be, it is in the Maybes section.

I intend to give Fellowship a lot of content support, so long as people enjoy it. Every single thing listed as an expansion pack will also come with new Fellowship moves, new enemies for the Overlord's Arsenal, and one new Set Piece.

Also all of that info above will be going into a Kickstarter update when I announce the release of the Fellowship book for sale. I tell this thread a lot of things early but I try not to make it exclusive info.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

I hope all the big maybes come into being.

Thanks for the info.

It looks like the Fellowship Playbooks do something that a lot of roleplaying games do not: they plainly explain how to play a roleplaying game for newbies and give some good GMing advice. Like, having that all in the handout is wonderful!

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
I gotta say, the Little Giant destiny looks amazing and I've shown it to my elf wrestling partner and he agrees. The only issue he takes with it is the move Damage Control, because according to him he'd "never want to contain my beautiful, beautiful destruction."

Serf
May 5, 2011

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

I gotta say, the Little Giant destiny looks amazing and I've shown it to my elf wrestling partner and he agrees. The only issue he takes with it is the move Damage Control, because according to him he'd "never want to contain my beautiful, beautiful destruction."

I gotta ask, does this mean "my partner who I wrestle elves with" or "my partner who is an elf and wrestles?" Either option is amazing, I'm just curious.

Also I wasn't too interested in the Dragon until kobolds came up. Any time the option to play a kobold comes up, I'm in.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'm gonna play a Kobold "Spiritual Giant". Basically Paul Wright meets Pecos Bill.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was thinking about the Silmarillion earlier and wondering how you'd do an Overlord along the lines of Sauron in the second age. He dresses up, acts nice, and manages to convince nearly everybody he's actually a good guy now, I swear on me mum. But of course he's secretly forging the One Ring, corrupting people, and generally being as Overlordy as ever. Would it make sense to have a Threat to the World that represents that? You're either so sneaky or so convincing that most normal people fail to realize how much of a threat you are (the Fellowship knows, of course).

Could maybe work for mysterious, enigmatic types too. Most people don't even believe you exist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I could easily see an Overlord having the Charming stat: No one will believe you're as dangerous as you are. And the Fellowship has to damage that before anyone believes it's you doing all the bad things rather than, say, your General.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes that is exactly how I would do that, and also, that's a really good Overlord Stat example. If you don't mind, I'm gonna put that in the book quick.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, go for it.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Serf posted:

I gotta ask, does this mean "my partner who I wrestle elves with" or "my partner who is an elf and wrestles?" Either option is amazing, I'm just curious.

He's a space fashion elf with a magical folding chair he uses to pull off sweet wrestling moves.

Honestly, we'll wrestle anything, but we haven't met any other elves; I'm sure we'll both piss an elf off at some point by calling them dumb nerds while flexing at each other.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gnome7 posted:

Yes that is exactly how I would do that, and also, that's a really good Overlord Stat example. If you don't mind, I'm gonna put that in the book quick.

Oh, hey, that's also handy for what I was going to do with a Demiurge overlord. (For those 'defeat the evil demon king settings where it turns out Overlord's just trying to protect his Monster people from the actual evil: God and his secretly villainous fantasy Catholic Church threat to the world.)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Similarly, I imagine "Believed Dead" (e.g. Voldemort) or "Mythical" (no one believes he exists) would be reasonable Overlord Stats?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I propose "Rich: You can buy anything that's for sale" for capitalist/colonialist Overlords.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Pththya-lyi posted:

I propose "Rich: You can buy anything that's for sale" for capitalist/colonialist Overlords.

(and Anyone)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh, hey, that's also handy for what I was going to do with a Demiurge overlord. (For those 'defeat the evil demon king settings where it turns out Overlord's just trying to protect his Monster people from the actual evil: God and his secretly villainous fantasy Catholic Church threat to the world.)

I think that one's more covered by your secret motive.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Similarly, I imagine "Believed Dead" (e.g. Voldemort) or "Mythical" (no one believes he exists) would be reasonable Overlord Stats?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes, yes, and yes, those all work very well.

spectralent posted:

I think that one's more covered by your secret motive.

I mean, you could do both.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My Roll20 game is still looking for one more player, if anyone's looking at giving the system a test drive. It looks like we've for sure got a slot open for an Elf, an Orc or Dwarf could possibly be negotiated.

Edit: Also, we're not really going to run tonight, so don't feel rushed. If you want to join, you've still got a week before we'll play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is the Dwarf's Unbreakable Bond gear option one-sided or is the bond Unbreakable for both characters involved?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mors Rattus posted:

Is the Dwarf's Unbreakable Bond gear option one-sided or is the bond Unbreakable for both characters involved?

It is one-sided. The specific bond the Dwarf wrote cannot be removed by any means.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can I get this anywhere yet or is it still between pledging and publishing?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
This game: dope. Thanks a lot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, our world is an Archipelago with Hawaiian Kobolds and Germanic Barbarian Halflings. The Empire is a far flung London-expy, the mer-elves control the sea lanes, and the Dwarves were created by the God of Battle. Unfortunately, the God made them too well; they ate him and live on the island of his hollowed-out scorpion body.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the mer-elves control the sea lanes from their underwater Greco-Roman citystates :colbert:

(seriously though props to this game, i barely joined the campaign today and i've already got alot of neat ideas for my elves just from the game's prompting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah, our world is an Archipelago with Hawaiian Kobolds and Germanic Barbarian Halflings. The Empire is a far flung London-expy, the mer-elves control the sea lanes, and the Dwarves were created by the God of Battle. Unfortunately, the God made them too well; they ate him and live on the island of his hollowed-out scorpion body.

I love this.

Banana Man posted:

Can I get this anywhere yet or is it still between pledging and publishing?

It is still between pledging and publishing but it is VERY close to publishing. I'll post about it in the thread and a bunch of other places but I am expecting to have the PDF for sale by the end of the month. My artist is very hard at work getting the last couple pieces finished and everything other than those is done.