Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wait what, theres shipping for replacement parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Not shipping cost, but shipping time. They said they'd ship it express but I haven't received a number yet.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

BULBASAUR posted:

Give him a master crafted weapon of some kind and an invuln save (the MC crafting is free btw). Otherwise he's just going to do nothing.

Deep striking terminators as toops is sweet. You can drop your tactical squad to grab a dreadnaught and give upgrades to your consul.

Drop the tactical squad completely? Or down to fewer models?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BULBASAUR posted:

Dorn stands atop a pile of eviscerated tyrant terminators, which is why he isn't released yet

To top Perturbaro, I think Dorn will be based on a 28mm scale model of Mt. Everest before the Imperial Palace was built.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

muggins posted:

Not shipping cost, but shipping time. They said they'd ship it express but I haven't received a number yet.

That sucks, but your videos are loving rad!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hencoe posted:

Doesn't ZM say models can't be on a base bigger than 60? Leviathans are on 80's.

I believe the 60mm base limitation is for monstrous creatures.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Note that models aren't allowed to pass through places where the model itself (if not on a base) or the base is unable to fit through. The narrow blast doors in the official Zone Mortalis tiles are about 50mm wide. Even if you could tecnically fit something bigger in there, it likely wouldn't be too practical to actually move around. (Incidentally, this is why the classification for Terminator armor is Tactical dreadnought armor - they were intended to get as close to an actual Dreadnought power-wise as they could while remaining compact enough to be effective boarding combatants.)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

That missile backpack will be cool for all sorts of conversions

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
ungh that rotor cannon :flashfap:

If I could justify any of that for EC, I'd pick some up in a heartbeat.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah that missile backpack would be sweet for a Master of Signal. Maybe with the auspex from the tac squad kit.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

That missile backpack will be cool for all sorts of conversions

drat. Those look sweet. Definitely putting together a heavy flamer squad as a retinue for my Death Guard Siege Breaker.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sick. I also love that heavy bolter, very nice.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

HB, AC, LC and Volkite are the loving bees knees here.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That rotor cannon needs to be out on a Catachan as soon as possible. Finally we can build the Predator reenactment we've always dreamt of.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

koreban posted:

ungh that rotor cannon :flashfap:

If I could justify any of that for EC, I'd pick some up in a heartbeat.

Squad of 10 sunkillers with lascannon is only 450 ptsish

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

If I want a heavy weapons squad for EC, I always have Kakophoni.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muggins posted:

Playing the Emps and not taking squads of 6 special / heavy weapons / terminators? Shame.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm reading Nemesis. It's not bad. Neat seeing details of the assassin temples behavior and tactics. Are assassins even legal in 30k?

Also read Fallen Angels. It was bad or mediocre. Why did the dark Angels have invested librarians after nikea? Luthers rebellion seems reasonable given the cultural pathos of having your world terraformed by a galactic bureaucracy. Is that really the great secret the dark Angels are hiding?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The great secret the DA are hiding is that Luther was the loyalist, and Lion was the traitor. Lion then turned back into loyalist. Makes more sense than "OH GOD SOME OF US TURNED TRAITORS. THE OTHERS MUST NEVER KNOW"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's exactly it. DA are probably one of the coolest loyalist legions because of all that backstory.

Most legions have a mirror. DA are kinda like the loyalist Alpha Legion.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Almost no one seriously gave a poo poo about the Nikea Edict other than Dorne.

Magnus was designed for it and couldn't give it up, the Khan was against restricting the gift and didn't care for the rule (and no one cared about him anyway), Russ was a hypocrite and doing not-magic casually.

I'm guessing Sanguinus was not enforcing it all that strongly being highly in tune with his powers, Curze was also a psyker but had other poo poo to think about, the Lion and Alpharius loved their seecreets so that's that.

Mortarion was too busy huffing toxins to notice that his second in command was a practicing witch and got royally hosed for it, Angron didn't have any after his whole Librarius tried to shank him.

Dorne actually did it. Roboute... Probably but not entirely? No idea about Perturabo and the remaining few.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sanguinius was enforcing it. His legion had wardens all over the loving place.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Luther is Alpharius

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sanguinius was enforcing it. His legion had wardens all over the loving place.

Ah alright, makes sense. At best I skimmed any of the BA books. Are any of them good?

I'm stuck with no computer, just a smartphone and a kindle, so I'm down for cheesy HH book recommendations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Fear To Tread is decent, but can get abit drawn out. It shows how the legion handles the red thirst, and how Sanguinius cares about his legionaries.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DeadGame posted:

I'm reading Nemesis. It's not bad.

Nemesis is actually one of the worst books in the series.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

panascope posted:

He's comparing it to Fallen Angels, it's a masterpiece in those terms.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

panascope posted:

The writing across the series is poor, so judging it on those terms is a waste of time. Does it have some bad lore ? At this point it seems all the books have flaws there. So I'm going by what entertains me. Mechanicum and Fallen Angels were pretty boring.

Also it would be great if the Lion was the traitor, but they don't seem to be telling that story unless fallen angels is a corrupted attempt to also hide the truth, as it ends with the Lion helping Perturabo.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 23, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

The great secret the DA are hiding is that Luther was the loyalist, and Lion was the traitor. Lion then turned back into loyalist. Makes more sense than "OH GOD SOME OF US TURNED TRAITORS. THE OTHERS MUST NEVER KNOW"
Yep, the Lion sure was the traitor. Mmhmm. Not like Luther got all jacked-up on chaos or anything. No sir. Nope. No chaos there.

But nah, the Lion was definitely loyalist. He and the bulk of the Dark Angels were off on the Thramas crusade, hosed up the Night Lords, joined up with the Ultramarines and Blood Angels in that dumb Imperium Secundus plotline, and then hosed up a bunch of traitor worlds while trying to make it back to Terra in time. There may have been some doubt about him and his legion around the time of Istvaan, but I'm guessing being attacked by the Night Lords pushed them into the loyalist side if nothing else.
:goonsay:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Vile Dark Angels propaganda.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The shameful secret is probably that the Lion thought it was his Terran recruits who'd betray him, but in reality it's his very own Calibanites who went all "spread some hot, sweet chaos all over my perfectly chiseled abs hmmhm yeah

wait what was the topic again

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

The shameful secret is probably that the Lion thought it was his Terran recruits who'd betray him, but in reality it's his very own Calibanites who went all "spread some hot, sweet chaos all over my perfectly chiseled abs hmmhm yeah

wait what was the topic again

Fallen

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

The White Scars had a huge chunk of their dudes side with Horus, but you don't hear about them going all "woe is our dark secret"!

Though I suppose they didn't go for daemonic swords.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I think that also accounts for the SW low numbers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Luthor being loyalist makes a much more interesting story. The latest 40k book and that one about the space wolves vs alpha legion after Prospero also drop some hints about it, but I doubt they'll ever outright say it.

I've never read a book from Black Library except the Cain stuff. The bar for writing just doesn't seem high and the primarchs seem like super hero stories (which is cool if that's your thing)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yep. It would be a good reason for the whole hunting down the fallen thing, for fear that they reveal the truth. And tieing it in with Cypher and his journey to Terra would also make sense.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

The White Scars had a huge chunk of their dudes side with Horus, but you don't hear about them going all "woe is our dark secret"!

Though I suppose they didn't go for daemonic swords.
I guess the White Scars didn't lose their home world while their primarch disappeared and they were just able to handle all of that internally. Or maybe it's because the Dark Angels are psychologically hosed up and internalized it all. Think about the poem/poet they're a reference to. :v: More than likely it's that and the fact that the Heresy wasn't fleshed out when the Dark Angels' back story was written so a bunch of dudes from an otherwise loyal legion turning traitor was supposed to be a big deal.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I think that also accounts for the SW low numbers.
I think they're low because they lost a ton of dudes destroying Prospero and the Thousand Sons.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nah. Nerds can't fight.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It definitely feels a little like a relic of the initial heresy vision, what with everyone having their own traitors. I imagine the Black Library will eventually get around to re-explaining it.

Same as when the legions got massively boosted in size to their modern numbers, it makes for some odd things.

As for the Wolves, they got wrecked really hard the moment the Sons decided to push back. And then the Alpha Legion came around shortly after to dog pile (haw haw) on them further.

They kind of had a poo poo time, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

As for the Wolves, they got wrecked really hard the moment the Sons decided to push back. And then the Alpha Legion came around shortly after to dog pile (haw haw) on them further.

Nuhuh. At any rate, lexicanum describes the wolves losses as being "moderate", so anywhere from 25-50% casualties. I'm assuming they didnt have an easy time with the two other legions they forcibly hosed either. Which book is AL vs SW in btw?