Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Can confirm that magic/greatsword hybrid works well. If you choose Amber Idol as your effects you can transmute an arcane damage magic-scaling greatsword from the Queen of Smiles Ear. You can then transmute that (or another Kureimoa if you get to rank 3 in the Three/Iron Ones to purchase them form Blacksmiths) to a lightning damage magic-scaling greatscissor. This means you can also use swords effectively, such as the arcane damage Shikeimaru, or the fire damage Branding Iron. So you can go (2handed) greatsword for one loadout and then either a stave or a wand+one of the aforementioned swords for the second loadout. Gives you quick attacks, slow powerful attacks, parrying, and magic.

This sorta stuff makes me really excited to roll new characters. I made a mage earlier and I'm definitely gonna try and make that greatsword then. What level is it though? I don't want to waste a bunch of stats into strength if I don't need to.

Also, is there a holy-elemental whip that I can make early on? Castlevania run yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Also, is there a holy-elemental whip that I can make early on? Castlevania run yo.

The only holy damage whip is the tier 5 one

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This sorta stuff makes me really excited to roll new characters. I made a mage earlier and I'm definitely gonna try and make that greatsword then. What level is it though? I don't want to waste a bunch of stats into strength if I don't need to.

the greatsword is class 2 and the greatscissor class 3 IIRC. As another protip if you're going mage, find the illusory wall on the way to the Village of Smiles (there are two in the room just before it). One has an early lightning spell behind it and maybe a Stone Mage? Either way it's a fantastic boost to the otherwise relatively weak early casting game.

The only wisdom whip is the Construct Coil, made from the Unskinned's Liver. But you could always go early Castlevania authentic and start with the starting whip, upgrade that to Martial Flail (chain whip) and then upgrade that to the Construct Coil. Alternatively could go more magic-wise and end up with the Searing Manacle.

If you need more weapon information I suggest checking out the wiki. It's a little bare bones but also has some unique information since the devs provided the wiki admin with a selective data dump pre-release.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Woohoo, finally beat the witch, about an hour before I'm off to see... The Witch. It was actually a pretty fun fight once I figured out how to dodge all the different spells, very mobile. Is there anything down the huge pit east of Siam Lake or is it just a sanctuary for the evil creed? Trying to figure out whether its worth desecrating a sanctuary or not to gain access.

e; ahh gently caress it why not

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Oh cool, for some reason I thought only miracles used the incantation slots.

e: haha this is like the opposite of a double-post, I erased my original. Fantastic.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 23, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poor life choice posted:

So if one weapon set is occupied by a greatsword it seems like staves are the way to go to get access to two spells, confirm/deny.

Like my nature tells me to sperg hard on the skill tree but it seems like it's perfectly okay to have little vestigial dead ends and alleys as you work toward your planned build, no need to go back and apply a gray pearl to wands 1 after hitting staves 1. If that's even possible.

e: also thanks for the input. Excited to try it!

P. much. Though that's not always necessary. Remember that in addition to spells which much be cast with wands/staves, there are incantations that are used as items (and equipped in the 5 empty slots below the items slots). You got a lot of options of how to set up your 2 loadouts, is what I'm saying.

I can't say for certain, but you should be able to respec in that manner. The only verboten respec is ones that have pre-reqs; e.g. sword 2 must have sword 1.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Beat the game. I liked the ending I got and the last boss is cool. Not too hard overall.

TLDR Salt and Sanctuary is good. Got some warts, but a good, grand start. Make this a franchise.

Really solid write-up. Anyone in this thread who's on the fence about picking up the game should give this a read and it should help convince you either way, for better or for worse. Game's got some flaws but it's also really impressive and ambitious

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

P. much. Though that's not always necessary. Remember that in addition to spells which much be cast with wands/staves, there are incantations that are used as items (and equipped in the 5 empty slots below the items slots). You got a lot of options of how to set up your 2 loadouts, is what I'm saying.

I can't say for certain, but you should be able to respec in that manner. The only verboten respec is ones that have pre-reqs; e.g. sword 2 must have sword 1.

The equipment nodes also give stats equal to the number of pearls they take, so putting a point in a weapon you're not using isn't a waste as long as it gives a stat you use.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The equipment nodes also give stats equal to the number of pearls they take, so putting a point in a weapon you're not using isn't a waste as long as it gives a stat you use.

Good point. Forgot about that. Although you could then put that pearl into a later magic-boosting skill and progress further along the tree earlier, not that it would help all that much.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Good point. Forgot about that. Although you could then put that pearl into a later magic-boosting skill and progress further along the tree earlier, not that it would help all that much.

I'm pretty sure you can't put points into wands 3 without getting wands 1 and 2 and etc., if that's what you mean.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just beat the game, really loved it throughout. I think I died more to falling than any boss or enemy in the game though, which was frustrating at times. The optional boss before the final boss is definitely the hardest boss in the game, IMO. The best moment in the game for me was when I killed the boss of the Pitchwoods with 4 heavy greathammer attacks :getin:

Now to start another character and wrap up the rest of the trophies!

The Duke fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gravity's score is measured in goddamn digits at this point.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone tested an archer build yet? Bows seem sort of useless in a 2-D game but I haven't really tried them out here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't put points into wands 3 without getting wands 1 and 2 and etc., if that's what you mean.

Moreso if you need to pass through some other weapon type you don't want to use to get to one you do want to use. Like going through swords is the path of least resistance for polearms IIRC.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Disemboweled husk was the first boss where I couldn't just get up in his face and body him with a 2h while chugging potions. Had to actually fat roll some pistol shots.

I have gear I want to equip but it's so goddamn heavy I can't wear it despite putting so many points into endurance. So Sodden Knight's armor + Headtaker greataxe continues to roll.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Just realized you can keep putting points into the stat nodes after the 3 dots are filled. It just replaces the 3 dots with a number 4.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

Disemboweled husk was the first boss where I couldn't just get up in his face and body him with a 2h while chugging potions. Had to actually fat roll some pistol shots.

I have gear I want to equip but it's so goddamn heavy I can't wear it despite putting so many points into endurance. So Sodden Knight's armor + Headtaker greataxe continues to roll.

You can jump over his pistol and continue to bash his face in. It's his biggest opening for doing damage.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does the stone charm add time to stagger? It says "stagger damage". I don't really notice any appreciable difference while using it, but I'm already using a warhammer, so I'm not sure if the stagger maxes out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

loving

blade wraiths won't drop anything. not their ribs (which I need), not any other items they're supposed to drop nothing. I have seriously kille dlike 60 of these dudes and none of them have dropped anything but gold and salts my entire game. I have both the willpower and the item find ring on. My item find is 77. Is there a better place to grind these than village of smiles?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Running around with a magic staff is a lot of fun, it definitely changes the game a lot. Now it plays kind of like Megaman meets Castlevania in a pretty fun way. I wish there were more spells around; I picked The Three as my starting creed and I got a cool staff that I've upgraded a bit, but no other spells besides fire and lightning. I also can't make the magic sword I want 'cause I can't find any stone alchemists anywhere, but I'm sure one's gonna be in the Castle of Storms someplace.

Not having a shield makes some fights a lot harder. The Jester was a bit more of a challenge since I couldn't just tank his hits. I don't have any holy attack abilities as a mage either, which is rough stuff. But you guys should definitely give a magic staff a go, it's a fun toy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Running around with a magic staff is a lot of fun, it definitely changes the game a lot. Now it plays kind of like Megaman meets Castlevania in a pretty fun way. I wish there were more spells around; I picked The Three as my starting creed and I got a cool staff that I've upgraded a bit, but no other spells besides fire and lightning. I also can't make the magic sword I want 'cause I can't find any stone alchemists anywhere, but I'm sure one's gonna be in the Castle of Storms someplace.

There's the one in the Watching Woods, dude. You get two orbs of light around that point (at least one from the Sunken Keep IIRC) so just convert that one to your Creed and use 'im.

Also all spells are fire and lightning of some variety (hence the whole "fire and sky" thing) but you do get a good variety of spell types, especially if you level up in covenants. If you want to cheese the game, the House of Splendor, Order of the Betrayer, and Keepers of Fire and Sky all give you the most OP spell in the game (Dragonfire) once you've reached a Devotion of 7 (gotta but it from a Mage tho).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

There's the one in the Watching Woods, dude. You get two orbs of light around that point (at least one from the Sunken Keep IIRC) so just convert that one to your Creed and use 'im.

Also all spells are fire and lightning of some variety (hence the whole "fire and sky" thing) but you do get a good variety of spell types, especially if you level up in covenants. If you want to cheese the game, the House of Splendor, Order of the Betrayer, and Keepers of Fire and Sky all give you the most OP spell in the game (Dragonfire) once you've reached a Devotion of 7 (gotta but it from a Mage tho).

I didn't want to convert that one 'cause I think that's the only tree sanctuary in the game and I may want to try and upgrade all the creeds on this mage build.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

loving

blade wraiths won't drop anything. not their ribs (which I need), not any other items they're supposed to drop nothing. I have seriously kille dlike 60 of these dudes and none of them have dropped anything but gold and salts my entire game. I have both the willpower and the item find ring on. My item find is 77. Is there a better place to grind these than village of smiles?

This doesn't help much but eventually they dropped for me from the village of smiles and I haven't seen any elsewhere in the game. I'm rank 6 in my creed and they were by far the worst drop rate of the bunch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't want to convert that one 'cause I think that's the only tree sanctuary in the game and I may want to try and upgrade all the creeds on this mage build.

Ah, fair enough.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Anyone tested an archer build yet? Bows seem sort of useless in a 2-D game but I haven't really tried them out here.

They're really good if you buy the max amount of arrows. Being able to snipe the really annoying enemies with no downsides is great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Overall, I don't think I like the skill tree system. I just find it irritating that it will force me to get stats I don't need or want. Dark Souls never forced me to get a point of endurance before I could access an arbitrary cut-off point to use high level magic or armor or anything like that. I suppose it isn't all that different from stat requirements, but since I can only access nodes adjacent to nodes I've used, I'm sometimes in a position where I'm pushed towards getting an unwanted stat boost just to get closer to something I do want.

EDIT: Oh, ha, there's a color variation on Quelaana's gear in this game, cool. I wish there was more opportunities for fashion souls beyond just streaming yourself play; a sequel should try to bring over the DS multiplayer aspect as well.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 23, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well I finished everything and holy poo poo the scaling or difficulty curve in this game can be a bit broken. I guess plugging all your orbs into strength/endurance/healing with greatswords can make you a bit overpowered? Cause I defeated everything after Desecrated Corpse by rolling behind, spamming light attack and chugging healing. I killed most of the bosses in the later half of the game on the first try, a few took a second try where I just equipped whatever level 0 light armor had the best defenses against that bosses damage element. Only a handful (mainly the witch) took more than that. I couldn't tell you anything about any of their patterns, but they all went down fast.

Exploring was fun and I enjoyed the first half of the game, wish I hadn't accidentally overpowered myself for the second half.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Overall, I don't think I like the skill tree system. I just find it irritating that it will force me to get stats I don't need or want. Dark Souls never forced me to get a point of endurance before I could access an arbitrary cut-off point to use high level magic or armor or anything like that. I suppose it isn't all that different from stat requirements, but since I can only access nodes adjacent to nodes I've used, I'm sometimes in a position where I'm pushed towards getting an unwanted stat boost just to get closer to something I do want.

At least you can grab what you want and gray orb the stats that your build doesn't need right after.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Marogareh posted:

At least you can grab what you want and gray orb the stats that your build doesn't need right after.

Got my first Gray Pearl. Does that reset EVERYTHING or just wipe out a single skill point item?

Also: In the Dome, what do I need for those cloud platform things I seem to be seeing?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
You get the brand you need for the cloud platforms somewhere in the dome itself.

Kill 2 bosses. The brand guy is right after the third lamb boss

Also, the gray pearl just resets a single node.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Agree about the late game difficulty curve needing major adjustment. I don't even know what the last 5 bosses I've fought did in terms of attacks or movement patterns because they all died in under 10 seconds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The first Stone Alchemist is right after getting the jester's brand, just backtrack a bit and use that obelisk.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is the Castle of Storms supposed to be a huge difficulty spike? These casters just one-shot me every time I run into them, even with my best lightning-resist gear on.

Not much point having warning marks appear on the ground if there are so many of them at once that I can't roll out of them anyway :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Megasabin posted:

Agree about the late game difficulty curve needing major adjustment. I don't even know what the last 5 bosses I've fought did in terms of attacks or movement patterns because they all died in under 10 seconds.

I think the AI's just really weird in some cases. I was literally incapable of attacking The Coveted, purely because both ghosts got locked in a "stay in the air and spin around" pattern which made the axe invincible. A bit irritating to say the least.

Also, do any mobs drop Leader icons? I joined the Betrayer group really late and can't advance because I lack idols and crystal orbs. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

I think the AI's just really weird in some cases. I was literally incapable of attacking The Coveted, purely because both ghosts got locked in a "stay in the air and spin around" pattern which made the axe invincible. A bit irritating to say the least.

You should be able to attack the axe when neither of them is holding it, that may have been a bug.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
speaking of maps, I found this on reddit (spoiler for first areas)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

You should be able to attack the axe when neither of them is holding it, that may have been a bug.

Naw, opposite problem - one of them was holding it but they refused to throw it down, rendering the axe invincible.

I've had really bad luck with this game's bugs apparently! I'm enjoying it a ton regardless though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Suaimhneas posted:

Is the Castle of Storms supposed to be a huge difficulty spike? These casters just one-shot me every time I run into them, even with my best lightning-resist gear on.

Not much point having warning marks appear on the ground if there are so many of them at once that I can't roll out of them anyway :argh:

What build are you using? How many hits does it take to kill them? They have a lot more HP than you might expect a squishy caster to have, but if you pile on and burn them quick, they aren't so tough. The lightning on the ground appears in three places, so just clear the gently caress out. If you can attack from afar, you may find that better for dodging them. I was having trouble with my mage, but I can melt them in two and a half lightning barrages so it works out if I'm quick.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What build are you using? How many hits does it take to kill them? They have a lot more HP than you might expect a squishy caster to have, but if you pile on and burn them quick, they aren't so tough. The lightning on the ground appears in three places, so just clear the gently caress out. If you can attack from afar, you may find that better for dodging them. I was having trouble with my mage, but I can melt them in two and a half lightning barrages so it works out if I'm quick.

I started as a paladin, still using the starting morning star, upgraded 3 times. Level 29, stats are split between strength, endurance and wisdom. I don't know how many hits it takes to kill them, because I haven't succeeded at killing one yet. If the ground lightning doesn't get me (and I swear it isn't just three places, it seems to cover the ground for a huge distance on either side of me, further than I can roll even in light armour), then he just casts his homing bolts directly into my face when I get close and I die instantly before I can even try to dodge. Rolling behind him doesn't help, he just turns around right away and fries me in mid-attack. Half the time I can't even get one hit in.

It seems so ridiculous that I figured this must be a high-level area and resorted to looking up where I'm supposed to go next, but nope, this is where I'm meant to be apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Suaimhneas posted:

I started as a paladin, still using the starting morning star, upgraded 3 times. Level 29, stats are split between strength, endurance and wisdom. I don't know how many hits it takes to kill them, because I haven't succeeded at killing one yet. If the ground lightning doesn't get me (and I swear it isn't just three places, it seems to cover the ground for a huge distance on either side of me, further than I can roll even in light armour), then he just casts his homing bolts directly into my face when I get close and I die instantly before I can even try to dodge. Rolling behind him doesn't help, he just turns around right away and fries me in mid-attack. Half the time I can't even get one hit in.

It seems so ridiculous that I figured this must be a high-level area and resorted to looking up where I'm supposed to go next, but nope, this is where I'm meant to be apparently

Hm. It sounds like the key here is to make sure they don't hit you. You can cancel them out of their attacks if you keep wailing on them. Try to conserve stamina and just get them to flinch before they pull off a spell. However, more than likely you'll have to endure at least one attack. They do the ground pillar attack, which has three lightning bolts come down or up or wherever, it's an area of effect so you just can't be in that area. Haul rear end out of range, make them follow you. They teleport, so when one fades in after you, you can get some free swings in on them. Make sure you kill the Emberskulls first with a plunging attack (triangle in the air) because they'll murderfuck you.

If approaching them is causing you difficulty, move in slowly until they aggro to you, then when they get locked into their casting animation, dodge accordingly. If all else fails, level up some more.

• Locked thread