Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

2MB posted:

Welp, I just bodied ChrisG on stream. (I was literally his first 12 matches online)

you're a goddamned hero is what you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Reiley posted:

There are $10 ethernet adapters for WiiU which only make your connection better, the offbrand ones still work all the same and are highly recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1TX0K36502

I ordered this over christmas, it works with the front USB ports and is a godsend.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah just played a few matches online, netcode seems really legit(especially since wireless is basically the only option for wii u). That and matchmaking is blazing fast holy cow.

I basically still don't know what to do but that was good enough to win most my matches. Is there like, a shoryuken.com or videoseries or something for this game to teach you whats actually going on?

Shofu on YouTube has some decent ranked videos

He does narrate a little, but they're not really tutorials. I picked up a thing or two by eyeballing his opponents.

He plays Pikachu and is one of the top USA players

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Rafza posted:

you're a goddamned hero is what you are

Glad I could be the gatekeeper for this brave new world.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What does beating the iron league unlock?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SeANMcBAY posted:

What does beating the iron league unlock?

A lot of pokedollars and titles. That's it, its effectively "post game" content.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dosvidanya posted:

who's your main character?

I use weavile for example and how I deal with suicunes is on field phase I go at an angle. If they homing water missile orb I jump X them. If they do anything else I agility to the side and then flank.

In duel phase I approach with slide (goes under beam) and if they jump beam I switch sides on them (usually with another slide) and punish with a full combo. I try and stop myself from jump attacking because their counter is really effective vs what weavile wants to do (and usually counter pierces my counter). If they're doing other stuff, I use jump~b~a~forward a to close the distance.

My main is also Weavile so I'll try this out. Thanks. :)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Weavile stuff you should know if you don't:

Agility (neutral a) is projectile immune/but not attack or grab immune so only use it as a hard read. Going into the clap (ay, aay, aaay) seems to put you at frame advantage. There might be a slight pause between doing yyxxxy between the first y and the x but it's a lot safer to buffer into agility claws from there than it is to do it raw.

You can cancel F+A (and its variant yyyyy) with R if you do it early enough. You can also cancel his b+A i believe (and his down+a taunt version of that if you just want to put the debuff on them)

His best anti air (outside of burst attack) is up+y but it has major tracking issues. I have it get beat out a lot online because it does nothing versus crossovers. Might as well bite the bullet and just counter attack where you can if someone's spamming jumps at you.

I have zero wake up tech with him. He doesn't have a command throw to bait out throws/counter attacks or do a late jump A/R drop down to mess with non auto tracking wakeup attacks.

up+a seems to be complete garbage. down+xxxx isn't a true string because of that lol.

the best bit of shenaniganery i've found with his jump attacks is that you can change the angle of them (back is sharper, forward travels further) so if you get into a situation where you're just jump Ying their guard and you bounce back into the air you can hold back and land in front of them if they charge a counter attack and throw that, or hold forward and get behind them.

I'm only d2 right now with him but essentially reacting to what people do is the winning strat with him once you know what his buttons beat out because he has frame advantage on nearly every single one of his attacks outside of neutral X and back A/up A and really loving fast ground walking speed. You can essentially do the SF5 shimmy where you walk really fast up to their knocked down self and then walk back before they can know what's happening lol.

forward+x is also a really good button.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I didn't know weavile's name was pronounced "wee-vile" but I guess I shoulda known better.

I also didn't know machamp is apparently weavile, as the announcer lady always calls machamp that no matter what and its very confusing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Evil Canadian posted:

I didn't know weavile's name was pronounced "wee-vile" but I guess I shoulda known better.

I also didn't know machamp is apparently weavile, as the announcer lady always calls machamp that no matter what and its very confusing.

If you mean Nia the Navigator, she's talking to or about her own Weavile, not your Pokemon of choice.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Weavile is very scrappy and cute, Nia made a strong choice and a lifelong friend.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you mean Nia the Navigator, she's talking to or about her own Weavile, not your Pokemon of choice.

Oh I didn't know she has one, I don't recall ever seeing it. That makes a lot more sense.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nia is a psychopath and hallucinates a weavile partner for herself. It's why you never see it and she just shouts at the air.

It's also why she follows you around in the story for literally no reason like lady who even are you

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I feel like I'm only playing half of Suicune. I got her zoning down decently but in my experience so far, her duel phase options are so bad that her only reasonable option is counter. It's quite frustrating and disheartening. Maybe I should actually look into a different character for a bit.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

I feel like I'm only playing half of Suicune. I got her zoning down decently but in my experience so far, her duel phase options are so bad that her only reasonable option is counter. It's quite frustrating and disheartening. Maybe I should actually look into a different character for a bit.

I tend to feel characters with counter attacks are in a very good place, especially online. The big problem I have is coming out of the Smash Bros mentality of punishing rushdowns with blocks then throws. Throwing is incredibly unsafe in this game as hitting evenly a perfectly timed shield seems to generate no notable hit-stun. Counter moves on the other hand seem to be a much more solid deterrence to aggressive players.

That said, I honestly know little about Suicune to really give you any proper advice. I've seen some pretty good players of them online but he does seem to be better at the Field phase which actually seems balanced unlike characters such as Braixen.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So this has happened to me a few times in ranked online matches, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me, but sometimes if I finish a match and queue up for another one I get matched against...the same person. I feel like that shouldn't happen?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nia is a psychopath and hallucinates a weavile partner for herself. It's why you never see it and she just shouts at the air.

It's also why she follows you around in the story for literally no reason like lady who even are you
I really wish there were more unlockable advisors. it's actually kind of insane that there aren't tbqh.

they could at least use the voiceacted people that have special fights on their own spots on the map before chroma league

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

IronicDongz posted:

I really wish there were more unlockable advisors. it's actually kind of insane that there aren't tbqh.

they could at least use the voiceacted people that have special fights on their own spots on the map before chroma league

It would be weird to pull in the random english student teachers they got to voice act this game for extended gigs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it'd be better than having Nia pop on my screen at the end of every single goddamn round

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just want to say I've been having fun with my good friend Gengar devouring the souls of the forsaken.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'm normally not the kind of person to get annoyed by these things but Nia is loving insufferable and the fact that turning advice off doesn't stop her from talking before and after matches is this game's greatest flaw

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Xad posted:

So this has happened to me a few times in ranked online matches, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me, but sometimes if I finish a match and queue up for another one I get matched against...the same person. I feel like that shouldn't happen?

There a re a few options after each match which let you fight against the same player again (assuming they also choose to fight you again) or fight someone new, with the added option of using the same pokemon or picking a different one. In my short experience online, each time i've chosen to fight the same person again, they disconnect, which kicks me back to the menu screen. :(
So to avoid this i don't select it anymore. I don't care if this makes me seem like a dick who doesn't want a rematch, i'd just rather not be kicked out of the loving game at all.

absolutely anything posted:

I'm normally not the kind of person to get annoyed by these things but Nia is loving insufferable and the fact that turning advice off doesn't stop her from talking before and after matches is this game's greatest flaw

I'm pretty sure there's an option to mute (all) voices. Have you tried that?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an option to mute (all) voices. Have you tried that?

Ok yep, I saw the volume slider before and kinda assumed it was for Pokemon voices and didn't mess with it but I just saw there's a voices off option under it (they both control the people voices and not the Pokemon voices by the way) thank god. The game is perfect now

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

"Okay, one more match then bed."

"what a beautiful sunrise."

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i made a thing about the properties of blazikens burst vs other bursts in a vacuum, you can click on the annotation at the top of the video to get the showcase and skip the intro poo poo

interesting takeaways if you don't/can't watch the video

mewtwo and chandelure can burst and then block afterwards to avoid getting tagged by gatling flame kicks
braixen can as well, but only if GFK comes out first; if she bursts first, she will get tagged
weavile will straight up dodge gatling flame kicks with his burst
charizard will straight up defeat your gatling flame kicks in a trade

all other mons get defeated in a burst trade against blaziken

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So the gist is that all speed characters are absurdly solid, all power characters except chandelier are terrible, and Weavile and Braixen are the kings of the mountain?
Maybe I just lack information. How the hell are you supposed to deal with Weavile and his stupid blue backdash claw.

You can't grab him through it, you can't counter attack through it, and its safe on block.
The hell is this?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Gorp posted:

and its safe on block.

It really, really isn't. Grab him or mash out a light string.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
On topic of bullshit stuff that I'm unsure of how to counter, I play Pikachu Libre, and have a BITCH of a time with Charizard. Is it his counter that matches his flaming dash forward in Smash? I cannot seem to grab through it, and doing anything but blocking seems to just get me punished HARD. :(

I had a guy do nothing but spam the poo poo out of that for an easy win and I couldn't figure out a good way around it in the middle of the battle.

On that topic, I didn't have time to check and I'm now at work, but can I set up the training to have a training dummy Charizard to just do this over and over? I guess it would also be nice to check how to deal with that Weavile move too!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The Gorp posted:

So the gist is that all speed characters are absurdly solid, all power characters except chandelier are terrible, and Weavile and Braixen are the kings of the mountain?
Maybe I just lack information. How the hell are you supposed to deal with Weavile and his stupid blue backdash claw.

You can't grab him through it, you can't counter attack through it, and its safe on block.
The hell is this?

Braixen is good, but is not king of the mountain. All she really has is projectile vomit and a weak duel phase once you get in close range. That's the trick to Suicune, Chandelure and Braixen; once you get within close range their options are severely limited compared to the rest of the roster.

Biggest part of fighting them is getting around or going through projectiles. Braixen does have an irritating grab though

e:

The Gorp posted:

all power characters except chandelier are terrible

i'm fairly certain machamp is a power type and machamp has been sitting at the top or near the top of both leaderboards for a while now

Drowning Rabbit posted:

On topic of bullshit stuff that I'm unsure of how to counter, I play Pikachu Libre, and have a BITCH of a time with Charizard. Is it his counter that matches his flaming dash forward in Smash? I cannot seem to grab through it, and doing anything but blocking seems to just get me punished HARD. :(

I had a guy do nothing but spam the poo poo out of that for an easy win and I couldn't figure out a good way around it in the middle of the battle.

On that topic, I didn't have time to check and I'm now at work, but can I set up the training to have a training dummy Charizard to just do this over and over? I guess it would also be nice to check how to deal with that Weavile move too!

I think you can set it up to trigger on reaction (i.e. hit them while they're blocking and they will retaliate with whatever move), but I'm not sure. I only tested it with bursts.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 23, 2016

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Gorp posted:

The hell is this?

the counter one that follows his taunt? i find that if the other character keeps their combo going i'll usually get knocked out of it, so my advice would be to just go nuts with the longest combo you have.

or don't, so i can win if i ever play against you.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's weird how Greninja, the coolest as heck water ninja who throws water shurikens, isn't in this game. Hopefully the dude will be DLC soon enough.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Every time I lose matches in online mode, Nia keeps congratulating me and telling me how her advice must really be helping me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

SilverSupernova posted:

Every time I lose matches in online mode, Nia keeps congratulating me and telling me how her advice must really be helping me.

I can't wait for the Game Theory video explaining that your character is actually a small child playing pretend with his Pokemon toys and Nia is just your supportive babysitter.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it is absolute bullshit that you never get to fight nia. i was hoping she'd be the secret master of the iron league or someshit, but no. the game refuses to give me the chance.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Inflammatory posted:

it is absolute bullshit that you never get to fight nia. i was hoping she'd be the secret master of the iron league or someshit, but no. the game refuses to give me the chance.

This was exactly what I was thinking. I mean, her partner IS a playable character in this game, so it's not like it'd be hard. I was expecting it the entirety of the Iron League, but nah.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Inflammatory posted:

The funny thing is that she's even goading you during the story and leagues. "You're almost as good as me!" "But I think Weavile and I still have the upper hand, heh."

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

The Gorp posted:

The hell is this?

the secret to dealing with weavile's blue backdash claw is to attack him through it. the actual dash has no armor whatsoever and low priority. it's honestly a bad move to just whip out because canceling it doesn't cancel it until the end. the dash (both versions b+a, and taunt d+a) isn't safe on block in my experience either.

honestly the only irredeemably not good character i think is gardevoir but even they can do work. the game is pretty match up/knowledge heavy. For example, weavile has good tools for getting in but almost none to keep people out so power champions have a good match up vs him. his only projectile in duel phase commits to a jump so it can be unsafe once they reach a certain proximity.

if i had to pick a top 5 online with solid match ups so you don't get hosed by say being a power character vs an absurd zoner i would say Gengar, Pikachu, Braixen, Weavile, and Mewtwo are good characters to learn.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the first shadow Mewtwo fight after the Green League supposed to be unwinnable?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ventana posted:

The funny thing is that she's even goading you during the story and leagues. "You're almost as good as me!" "But I think Weavile and I still have the upper hand, heh."

Funniest part about this is at the end of blue league I think she says "wow you're better then me at this point!" and as soon as you beat the next league "Haha you're almost as good as me!"

Dunno why but just found that amusing.

jivjov posted:

Is the first shadow Mewtwo fight after the Green League supposed to be unwinnable?

You can win but unless you're doing the Chandalure a button spam or you've spent a good amount of time learning the game online you probably aren't going to beat him on your first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
what is even the deal with machamp's running grab move? it starts as a counter and then becomes a grab. how are you supposed to deal with that?

• Locked thread