Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My fav youth day thing is that for some reason the city of Warsaw is shelling out from its own budget for an event organized in Cracow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

That reminded me of another hilarious thing.

I reported several pages ago that the current president, Andrzej Duda, almost had a car accident, because the tirein his car fell apart? Some right-wing conspiracy theorists already suggested it was an (another) assassination attempt, that a hired sniper could have shot the wheel. There was a swift investigation and the truth has come out a few days ago.

It turned out that the tire that fell apart mid-ride was not only six-years old, but also already decommissioned. Some idiots in BOR (Government Protection Bureau), however, needed a tire for the presidential armored car right loving now, because Duda wanted to ski. They took the one from the decommissioned parts storage and installed it into the presidential armored car, which was meant to take the president from Wroclaw to Karpacz. Unfortunately, there were a section of the track which was not only quite steep, but full of rocks and ice. No car except the mountain lifeguards' off-road car could drive across. But the driver of the presidential car just floored and went through the rocks on full speed. This is probably when the tire was damaged.

Over a month later, the presidential car were speeding through the highway so fast the ambulance being a part of the convoy couldn't catch up. Low pressure alert was blaring, but the driver ignored it, because the president's delegation was already late. Somehow no one got hurt when the tire inevitably blew up. Had the idiot in the car died, we would have another Smolensk.

Edit: The best thing is that they can't blame PO for that, because they replaced the entire leadership of BOR several months ago.
:eyepop:

Sorry, but I just can't contain my schadenfreude. This is so awesome.

You made that turd sandwich, Poland. Now eat it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

:poland: piss and poo, back and forth, forever :poland:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
This thread has been lacking recently of fabulous things we come up with in Estonia.

1 unit of monetary fine is 4 euros right now. Would be 8 afterwards. What this means is if you're walking around drunk without wearing a reflector you will get fined 800 euros instead of previous 400. Without being drunk its just 40->80. This in a country where people from poorer areas already take sitting in jail over paying their fines.

For some perspective, the average net salary is 850 euros.

edit: this is not necessarily the maximum. but they could.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 21, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

jonnypeh posted:

What this means is if you're walking around drunk without wearing a reflector you will get fined 800 euros instead of previous 400. Without being drunk its just 40->80.
Wait, what? How is that fineable? And why is the penalty for being drunk ten times larger? You're not driving a car, it's not like your reaction time will matter when you're going 5 km/h. :psyduck:

edit - Apparently, according to Wiki, it's a thing in Finland, Latvia and Lithuania as well. What is it with the Baltics and their obsession with safety reflectors? (Replace "Baltics" with "limitrophes" if you're a Finn and you take objection to being piled together with those dirty Balts.)

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

jonnypeh posted:

Eastern Europe: fabulous things we come up with in Estonia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Wait, what? How is that fineable? And why is the penalty for being drunk ten times larger? You're not driving a car, it's not like your reaction time will matter when you're going 5 km/h. :psyduck:

edit - Apparently, according to Wiki, it's a thing in Finland, Latvia and Lithuania as well. What is it with the Baltics and their obsession with safety reflectors? (Replace "Baltics" with "limitrophes" if you're a Finn and you take objection to being piled together with those dirty Balts.)

It's probably so that you don't get ran over (as often) when you're stumbling along unlit roads at night, dressed in all black. I remember hearing something similar here in CZ as well but I'm not sure if it passed or not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

It's probably so that you don't get ran over (as often) when you're stumbling along unlit roads at night, dressed in all black. I remember hearing something similar here in CZ as well but I'm not sure if it passed or not.
It's for that purpose in Latvia, but you generally will not have anything beyond verbal warning in Latvia. Our policy prioritizes reflectors for children, since our drivers suck - there often were nation-wide reflector givewaways for school children while I was a kid etctera.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting fined for not wearing a reflector in Finland. Nor for just being drunk, you actually have to do something to annoy people for cops to get interested. Like talking to people without asking first.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My closest story to being fined for not wearing reflector is a drunk 2 metres tall acquaintance running with a giant wooden reflector around a local supermarket, until he got apprehended by police. He then did shortcircuit the light in the temporary detainment basement of the local police and begun to yell that he is afraid of darkness.

Dude was let go.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the thing about laws and northerners is that our cops aren't complete dickheads, so even if you broke some petty law they ain't gonna fine you unless you give them a reason by being rude. This might be hard to comprehend if you happen to live in a society where the police is the enemy of the public.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Estonia's prime minister is visiting USA. He has been invited to be a guest on The Daily Show.

I am sure that he is going to embarrass us thoroughly.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

Yeah the thing about laws and northerners is that our cops aren't complete dickheads, so even if you broke some petty law they ain't gonna fine you unless you give them a reason by being rude. This might be hard to comprehend if you happen to live in a society where the police is the enemy of the public.
So it's basically a dead letter. Good to know it's not as idiotic as it sounds.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gantolandon posted:

Unfortunately, they treat pretty much everyone but the US and UK like lepers. Their treatment of Russia isn't really unique.

Poles are destined to become the Sardaukar of Europe - hardened by their nation's insufferable politics, led to blind loyalty to authorities and indoctrinated to hate Russia unconditionally, they will be the bulwark against Russia, and the shock troops of our future push against the Bear.

They have already started the process of turning themselves into a militarized, cult-like society. Now we just need to hope there are no Fremen in Siberia.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Pizdec posted:

It's a transparent handout to Big Sequin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Poles are destined to become the Sardaukar of Europe - hardened by their nation's insufferable politics, led to blind loyalty to authorities and indoctrinated to hate Russia unconditionally, they will be the bulwark against Russia, and the shock troops of our future push against the Bear.

They have already started the process of turning themselves into a militarized, cult-like society. Now we just need to hope there are no Fremen in Siberia.

Does that make Russia the Harkonen?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Does that make Russia the Harkonen?

Is there any doubt?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

alex314 posted:

Is there any doubt?

So that makes the US the Atriedes?

Oh god :ohdear: And Spice is a Petroleum reference. poo poo!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If Poles are to be Sardaukar then Czechens are Fremen, death commando dying upon many unfamiliar lands for their God-Emperor :eng101:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
A lot of focus on Ukraine in recent days has been on the trial of Savchenko, where the guilty verdict is expected any minute now, but fighting around Donetsk drags on. Most of the fighting has been taking place in Avdiyivka, a Ukrainian-held industrial suburb immediately to the north-west of Donetsk city, known for its production of coke and other coal products. The attacks so far have been extremely unorganized and pro-Ukrainian sources have indicated this as a sign of general disillusion in the separatist ranks. Probably the most telling incident is when a separatist approached Ukrainian lines to attempt to surrender, only to be shot and killed, allegedly, by his CO. Despite this, the separatists haven't completely lost resolve, two days ago a Ukrainian officer's vehicle was hit by an ATGM killing 5, so they are still resisting. We're approaching 2 years of hostility, it's pretty depressing that despite all the international effort, the conflict remains active.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

A lot of focus on Ukraine in recent days has been on the trial of Savchenko, where the guilty verdict is expected any minute now, but fighting around Donetsk drags on. Most of the fighting has been taking place in Avdiyivka, a Ukrainian-held industrial suburb immediately to the north-west of Donetsk city, known for its production of coke and other coal products. The attacks so far have been extremely unorganized and pro-Ukrainian sources have indicated this as a general disillusion in the separatist ranks. Probably the most telling incident is when a separatist approached Ukrainian lines to attempt to surrender, only to be shot and killed, allegedly, by his CO. Despite this, the separatists haven't completely lost resolve, two days ago an officer's vehicle was hit by an ATGM killing 5. We're approaching 2 years of hostility, it's pretty depressing that despite all the international effort, the conflict remains active.

What do we know about the Savchenko case? Is it a total show-trial, or do they have any vaguely plausible dirt on her?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

What do we know about the Savchenko case? Is it a total show-trial, or do they have any vaguely plausible dirt on her?

It has been proven through phone records that at the time of the death of the journalists she was in captivity. The argument of the prosecutors has been that even if that is true, it doesn't matter as she was part of the "criminal organisation" responsible for the deaths of the journalists, aka the Ukrainian Army.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

There's no substantial case to be made against her based on anything I've read, and even if there were signs of some sort of a crime, her human rights have been grossly violated, which completely undermines the Russian case. She's been held in a cage like an animal, for Christ's sake!

In addition to that, you need to understand that there's no independent judiciary power in Russia, all justice is subject to government interests or to petty profiteering of involved persons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think a minor detail should give the proper taste:
Among other things, after she was taken POW and moved to Russia (with a bag over her head), the Russians charged her with illegally crossing the border.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

sparatuvs posted:

Probably the most telling incident is when a separatist approached Ukrainian lines to attempt to surrender, only to be shot and killed, allegedly, by his CO.
How very :commissar: of them. They've learned well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...:homepage/story

quote:

"Ukraine is a country that affects us far less than it affects other countries in NATO, and yet we’re doing all of the lifting," Trump said. "They’re not doing anything. And I say: 'Why is it that Germany’s not dealing with NATO on Ukraine? Why is it that other countries that are in the vicinity of Ukraine, why aren’t they dealing? Why are we always the one that’s leading, potentially the third world war with Russia.' "

Trump said that U.S. involvement in NATO may need to be significantly diminished in the coming years, breaking with nearly seven decades of consensus in Washington. "We certainly can’t afford to do this anymore," Trump said, adding later, "NATO is costing us a fortune, and yes, we’re protecting Europe with NATO, but we’re spending a lot of money."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, Trump really is a secret Russian sleeper agent. :stare:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Savchenko convicted and sentenced to 22 years, because lolrussiancourts.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NAT-T Ice posted:

Savchenko convicted and sentenced to 22 years, because lolrussiancourts.

Also a fine of 30,000 rubles for "illegal border crossing".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

With every passing day it's becoming clearer why Putin endorsed Trump's candidacy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Also a fine of 30,000 rubles for "illegal border crossing".

$441 USD... Uh, lol.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Murgos posted:

$441 USD... Uh, lol.

Well, unlike most kidnapping transoms, they don't even pretend the victim will not free if its paid.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, Trump really is a secret Russian sleeper agent. :stare:

Not just from that quote, but you can see that one of his foreign policy advisers is Carter Page, who is well-known in Moscow due to his work with the Russian oil industry.

Also, Kellogg, formerly of CACI, and Schmitz, formerly of Blackwater(!), seem to come from the PMC fraternity that produced such wonders in Iraq like Abu Ghraib and Fallujah. It's like the worst loving people are attracted to Trump.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Murgos posted:

$441 USD... Uh, lol.
Slightly more than triple the monthly salary of one of my friends. Before tax.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Slightly more than triple the monthly salary of one of my friends. Before tax.

Does he work part-time? That's super low even by non-Moscow standards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Does he work part-time? That's super low even by non-Moscow standards.
Full time, entry level factory job.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kalstrams posted:

The rent on my decrepid 20m^2 in Helsinki is 750 euros per month. The vent hood isn't connected and I can't get cold water. The door is crooked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

That's depressing to hear. It's below what janitors make.
I've also just checked unemployment benefits in Russia, and the amount hasn't been changed since 2009. They range from around $12 up to $73.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

That's depressing to hear. It's below what janitors make.
I've also just checked unemployment benefits in Russia, and the amount hasn't been changed since 2009. They range from around $12 up to $73.
Jokes on you, acquaintance's mother happens to be a janitor, and she's making even less with some ~60-70 hour work week. Life in sub-million cities in Russia can suck quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
love my city :poland: