Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

They're getting enough of that from being able to declare victory in Syria, regardless of whether or not anything that could be deemed "victory" was achieved.:wink:

For the record, my grandfather was a Russian tank driver during the Winter War, so the Finland discussion is very interesting to me, fwiw.

Cool! T-28 or KV-1 crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Friendly Humour posted:

Cool! T-28 or KV-1 crew?

KV-1. He always said the cuckoos (snipers) were a constant source of terror for the Soviets, which certainly squares away with my reading of history. One shot him through the forearm, and he had the scar until the day he died. Guy was a badass - glad he made it to the U.S. eventually though!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad his guy was a bad shot then!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

khwarezm posted:

I think its worth keeping in mind, despite the extreme degrees of romanticism around the winter war, the Russians weren't actually defeated. They actually imposed harsher terms on the Finns when the war ended than what was offered before it began.

True, but it kept Russia from having Finland as a satellite state they could dictate terms to. Finland would have been absorbed into the Soviet Union otherwise.

And the Russians were defeated in their attempts to conquer Finland, because it wasn't worth it. They could have won, but they couldn't make that victory cost-effective.

And that's more or less the Finnish plan in the future too. It doesn't need automatic weapons, it needs ways to harass the enemy from afar to keep them from sleeping, and ways to make it an expensive logistics nightmare to transport anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Friendly Humour posted:

I'm glad his guy was a bad shot then!

So am I!;)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We should bomb the Saudi royal family to kingdom come.

I say stop buying their oil. Don't let them invest and tell Switzerland that when their regime collapses that under no circumstances are they allowed in Switzerland. Let them die.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

endlessmonotony posted:

True, but it kept Russia from having Finland as a satellite state they could dictate terms to. Finland would have been absorbed into the Soviet Union otherwise.

And the Russians were defeated in their attempts to conquer Finland, because it wasn't worth it. They could have won, but they couldn't make that victory cost-effective.

And that's more or less the Finnish plan in the future too. It doesn't need automatic weapons, it needs ways to harass the enemy from afar to keep them from sleeping, and ways to make it an expensive logistics nightmare to transport anything.

Its more than a little contentious to argue that Stalin was seeking to reabsorb Finland under the Russian thumb as a primary aim. He could attempted to do so seriously during WW2 itself and the amount of resources required probably would have been a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the horrifying struggle that was the Eastern front. In any event the main impetus of the war was laid out by Soviet demands before it started and what they took after it ended, the surrender of territories around Leningrad to make it less vulnerable in the event of German attack, they even offered to exchange territory in Karelia to make an easier swallow, albeit frozen wasteland but it was something. This was very much in line with Soviet behavior in Poland and the Baltic, grabbing surrounding territory less to reconstitute the old Tsarist empire (though that's a plus on the side) but to create a buffer against the Nazis if the worst came to the worst. Given the horrific siege of Leningrad that followed its easy to see why the Soviets were preoccupied with making their second city as secure as possible.

When the war ended they gained basically all of the territory they demanded and more without giving up any of their own, if the war continued it would probably have gone even worse for the Finns. The problem was such a victory took an utterly embarrassing amount of time, men and money, despite the huge disparity in size and means between the two countries, and worst of all this was gold for Hitler since it seemed to show what he believed, that the Soviets were a paper tiger that would fall apart if the right amount of pressure was applied.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

The reason Finland trains most of its men to be in the army and supports active reservists training with their own rifles, which the current iteration if the directive would curb, is to make any military action against us too costly, hth. It must be nice to be rich enough to make flippant statements about other countries safety and I am glad that you guys are not interested in the directive as it means the powers opposing it are more likely to prevail.

I suppose you guys oppose any kind of self-defence and believe in the rule of the strong too?

I can imagine you would have said roll over to Ukraine as well.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Syrians rescue German far-right candidate from car crash wreckage

This time, the Musselman has gone too far. :argh:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

Jean Christoph Fiedler, the NPD’s leader in the Hesse region, told the Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper that the Syrians had “likely performed a very good, humane deed”.

What a petty rear end in a top hat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What's with the (Greater) German far right and crashing their cars?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They're defending the purity of German culture through drinking beer and driving with no speed limit, I guess?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's because they drive German cars.

Nah, actually it's because German roads are trash, since Germans HAVE CUT BACK ON FUNDING and now they are REGRETTING THIS.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

White trash with German characteristics.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

That's because they drive German cars.

Nah, actually it's because German roads are trash, since Germans HAVE CUT BACK ON FUNDING and now they are REGRETTING THIS.

Hahaaahah! I see what you did there!

that said, did they really cut back on funding?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

What is the difference between a disaster and a tragedy?

A disaster is a serious car crash involving the NPD, a tragedy is that the NPD members survived.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dawncloack posted:

Hahaaahah! I see what you did there!

that said, did they really cut back on funding?

I've read a couple of articles about how Germany's budget restraint to achieve GaussianCopula's favourite buzzword ~balanced budget~ has meant that infrastructure maintenance funding has been lacking.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well really the issue with German highways is that they're made out of concrete, so keeping them in shape is becoming increasingly expensive as the concrete cracks and buckles; but they never planned their maintenance budget for something that gets more expensive to maintain over time. Since Autobahns were built in the 1960s and 1970s, they're reached the end of their "mostly okay with minimal maintenance" life time and entering "holy poo poo this is turning into a death trap if you don't rebuild them" period. It doesn't help that traffic has greatly increased and now exceeds what was planned for when they were built, and trucks have become heavier, so the wear and tear they cause has increased dramatically.

The damage on that picture was caused by a heatstroke, by the way. In the same situation, an asphalt road melts in place, then goes back to normal after cooling off.

Asphalt roads are less durable than concrete roads, but they damage more gracefully, are easier to repair, and when you need to resurface them you can recycle the old asphalt over and over again whereas old concrete is useless. So regular maintenance with relatively constant cost is something you can do with asphalt road, while with concrete roads you've got exploding costs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-21/crumbling-german-autobahns-leave-drivers-stuck-in-traffic-jams
http://www.worldhighways.com/catego...o-be-increased/

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 23, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cat Mattress posted:

Well really the issue with German highways is that they're made out of concrete, so keeping them in shape is becoming increasingly expensive as the concrete cracks and buckles; but they never planned their maintenance budget for something that gets more expensive to maintain over time. Since Autobahns were built in the 1960s and 1970s, they're reached the end of their "mostly okay with minimal maintenance" life time and entering "holy poo poo this is turning into a death trap if you don't rebuild them" period. It doesn't help that traffic has greatly increased and now exceeds what was planned for when they were built, and trucks have become heavier, so the wear and tear they cause has increased dramatically.

The damage on that picture was caused by a heatstroke, by the way. In the same situation, an asphalt road melts in place, then goes back to normal after cooling off.

Asphalt roads are less durable than concrete roads, but they damage more gracefully, are easier to repair, and when you need to resurface them you can recycle the old asphalt over and over again whereas old concrete is useless. So regular maintenance with relatively constant cost is something you can do with asphalt road, while with concrete roads you've got exploding costs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-21/crumbling-german-autobahns-leave-drivers-stuck-in-traffic-jams
http://www.worldhighways.com/catego...o-be-increased/

Old concrete from a roadway isn't useless - in America we recycle it by either running the concrete rubble through a cleaning and filtering process to use as part of the aggregate for new concrete, or using it instead for baselayers under roads that help spread the load, which you would otherwise use gravel or similar for, and then place new concrete or asphalt on the top.

Edit: Also sometimes we just really beat and groove up the already worn down concrete road surface and then pour new asphalt on top, or even put new concrete on top. Lots of ways to reuse concrete that is no longer serviceable on the road as-is.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 23, 2016

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just quickly from Wikipedia, German road fatalities are pretty low no matter what way you slice it, unless you compare to Sweden that's gone for 100% driver safety instead of having roads that are fun to drive

edit: US with double Germany's rate lol, though not really surprised by that given how crazy driving there seems compared to driving in Finland for example

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

100% driver safety instead of having roads that are fun to drive

I like that you place this as a negative in your post somehow

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Just quickly from Wikipedia, German road fatalities are pretty low no matter what way you slice it, unless you compare to Sweden that's gone for 100% driver safety instead of having roads that are fun to drive

Trafikverket! :argh:

While I do prefer not dying on the roads it can get a tad obnoxious at times.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 23, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Xoidanor posted:

Trafikverket! :argh:

While I do prefer not dying on the roads it can get a tad obnoxious at times.

A decade ago, my dad did an experiment and abided by ALL the traffic limitations at ALL times while driving between two of our cities. The amount of profanity thrown at him was hilarious, and he himself was certain the rules really were not necessary to be this restrictive, unless you got a drivers' license as a literal retard.

Truly, the finest form of trolling on the road in some EU countries is to do everything exactly as the rules say. If you have the time for it, ofc.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 23, 2016

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Welp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ions/?tid=sm_tw

quote:

For the Jews of Belgium, Wednesday should have been the happiest day on the calendar.

Purim, the most raucous and joyful Jewish holiday, begins Wednesday at sundown. But this year, there will be no merriment in Brussels. With the holiday falling the day after terrorist attacks that killed at least 31 people and injured 270 more in the capital city, the Jewish congregations in Brussels decided that celebrating Purim would not be appropriate — or safe.

“In general, we have to be careful. Every day, every service, morning and evening,” said a staff member at the Great Synagogue of Europe, located in the city’s historic heart. Asking hundreds of Jews to leave their homes to celebrate Purim on Wednesday night would be too much of a risk, he said.

The synagogue employee, who did not want to give his name, said that his congregation and at least four others decided, after conversations with Belgian authorities, to cancel their Purim parties.

The holiday, which celebrates the Jewish people’s survival when the tyrant Haman vowed to wipe them out, is normally marked with festivities including costumes, sweets, dramatic productions and alcohol. The Great Synagogue had planned a rock concert for hundreds of attendees.

The employee said that the Great Synagogue will instead host a worship service and will read the Book of Esther, which tells the Purim story. He expects about 50 to 70 congregants will attend the sober worship service, whereas most people in the 400-family congregation would have come to the rock concert.

Long before Tuesday’s attacks, Belgium’s Jewish population of roughly 30,000 people had been anxious about a resurgence of anti-Semitism in Europe. At the Great Synagogue, anyone who is not a regular attendee must show a passport to get inside the building — a precaution that has become so matter of course for European Jews that some are surprised to hear American Jews don’t require IDs to enter their synagogues.

Purim will not bring any relief with its silly costumes this year, the synagogue staffer lamented. “In the street now, it’s dangerous to walk with a kippah in the street.”

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kind of ironic how anti-racism rightly inspired by a rejection of the horrors of the Holocaust has had the unintended consequence of enabling violent elements of new migrant communities to once more victimize Europe's Jewish population.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

So sad the far right street patrols are making jews in Belgium feel so unsafe.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Man, so that's why these Jewish dudes were wearing silly-rear end hats in the metro in Paris today ! I thought they just had terrible fashion sense.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sinteres posted:

Kind of ironic how anti-racism rightly inspired by a rejection of the horrors of the Holocaust has had the unintended consequence of enabling violent elements of new migrant communities to once more victimize Europe's Jewish population.

Personally, I'd say nationality/culture counts for a lot. Or at least, it's a fuckton more progressive to look at it that way rather than still focusing on the color of one's skin.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 23, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The FT has an early Easter present for us: Lunch with Varoufakis

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/4d29f82e-f0ee-11e5-9f20-c3a047354386.html

quote:

He then admits he had actually written a resignation letter but decided not to give it to Tsipras because he wanted to “be there for him” during the lowest point. When, exactly, did he write it? “27 of April,” he says. This date is familiar, reminding me why I — and many who dealt with him at the finance ministry — found him so exasperating.
April 27 was the day I had written a story that Tsipras had sidelined him in a reshuffle of his negotiating team. But that article would be one of the stories he spent weeks denouncing as “absolutely false”, insisting Tsipras hadn’t sidelined him at all. Here he was now apparently admitting he had been so sidelined that he had written a resignation letter. He had called my reporting inaccurate, but it had been nothing of the sort.

There are some more very funny passages in there.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
what the actual gently caress Sweden what are you doing how could you possibly have thought that was a good idea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/sweden-cuts-maximum-mortgage-term-to-105-years-the-average-is-14/

quote:

hink there's a housing affordability crisis in Britain, with low mortgage rates likely to drive house prices even higher?
Take a look at Sweden where lending policies have been more generous, and where house price inflation has been (at least recently) more extreme.
A number of banks and analysts have warned that Sweden's housing market is overheating, with HSBC in January saying: "The pace of acceleration in the housing market points to a bubble."

House prices across the country were up 18pc last year.
Now Sweden is dealing with its overheated housing market by reining in mortgage availability.
Regulators introduced restrictions which will mean mortgage terms - the time homebuyers have to clear the debt - will be drastically reduced to just... 105 years.
The move comes because historically there has been no time limit on mortgage duration.
So as prices rose and affordability became tougher, Swedish banks' response was to extend terms, as had been the case in other high-cost property markets including Japan in the Eighties.
The average term is reported to be 140 years. This meant many people who inherited property but who could not afford to take on the mortgage debt had to sell up.
No, HSBC, it is not the "pace of acceleration" that points to the existence of a bubble, it is the fact that you have normalized taking out a mortgage that is longer than a human lifespan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LemonDrizzle posted:

what the actual gently caress Sweden what are you doing how could you possibly have thought that was a good idea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/sweden-cuts-maximum-mortgage-term-to-105-years-the-average-is-14/

No, HSBC, it is not the "pace of acceleration" that points to the existence of a bubble, it is the fact that you have normalized taking out a mortgage that is longer than a human lifespan.
The Swedes are counting on their health care system extending their lives a bit more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Our politicians on both sides are just proudly passing along the bomb in the hope that it won't blow when they're in government. :sweden:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Our politicians have gone full retard for quite some time and something like 70 % of people still think that the prices will just keep increasing! Since it's totally different now compared to the last bubble 26 years ago, they are right though since this time the difference is that it will be much worse!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lord Tywin posted:

Our politicians have gone full retard for quite some time and something like 70 % of people still think that the prices will just keep increasing! Since it's totally different now compared to the last bubble 26 years ago, they are right though since this time the difference is that it will be much worse!

Full Kommunism Now.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Everyone player knows exactly what needs to be done to deflate the bubble or at least to make it not grow (somehow remove the tax deduction on interest payments and remedy the lack of rentals/affordable housing) but this would affect strong voting blocks (middle class) so nobody wants to touch that issue with a 10 foot pole. This together with the fear of popping the bubble makes them try various other things that have only token or non existent effects. The only upside is that many tiny puncture holes might deflate the bubble over time, but as it stands now housing prices just keep on increasing and everything is going up up up! :downsgun:

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

As a Dutchman I'm getting a strong sense of déja vu here (the mortgage interest deduction was pretty much the third rail of Dutch politics - touch it and you die). Although at least there have been some measures, such as capping the deduction, limiting the size of the mortgage, ending the frankly insane deduction for redemption-free mortgages and limiting the deduction for interest on mortgages to 30 years. Our government still seems to be hellbent on murdering the social housing market though :(.

I don't think anyone really knows how to pop a housing bubble without having a major crash - around a third of mortgages are now under water and housing prices dropped by at least 15% since 2008.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 25, 2016

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Wait, 140 years?! That's fricking insane. Does that mean that you pay almost nothing to equity and payments are mostly interest (which you can deduce from your taxes)?

Does this mean the government is defacto subsidizing home buyers to a high degree?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/mobile/Shooting/law/EU-Gun-Ban-French-Ministry-Internal-Affairs-responsibility/

Not surprising but nice hypocricy from the French government.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Speaking of France, how's that supermarket food waste law working out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

I'm probably going to regret this, but are these the changes you're so upset about?

http://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/latest-news/qa-european-commission-proposals-for-amending-the-firearms-directive/

quote:

What is the EU Commission proposing for firearms?
The Commission is proposing a number of changes to the EU Firearms Directive (91/477/EEC) following recent terrorist atrocities. Proposals include the following:
Introduction of a five year ceiling to certificate life.
Introduction of a ‘standard medical test’ for applicants.
Bringing ‘collectors’ and ‘sound moderators’ within the scope of the directive.
Regulating blank firing and other replicas.
Banning the ownership of EU category A firearms (such as machine guns) even when deactivated.
Introduction of ‘competence checks’ for firearms dealers and brokers in addition to safety/criminal checks.
Tightening of the distance sales for firearms dealers.
A proposed ban on “semi-automatic firearms for civilian use which resemble weapons with automatic mechanisms”.
Introducing stricter specifications on deactivated firearms.
Introduction of stricter marking and tracing rules.

If so, how on earth do any of those regulations impede your ability to form a militia and play Red Dawn: Mosquito Swamp Edition with the Russians? None of them relate to the functioning of the weapon, and the only one that would affect existing owners is the "no scary black rifles" rule (which, admittedly, is dumb).