Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Simplicity Sofas has your back. They're a little on the expensive side, but in the "good solid couch" kind of way, not the "designer furniture" way, and they're really easy to move and put together. A child could do it (and they have some really cute videos of kids doing exactly that).
Are these people for real? They're way out of budget for what we need but godamnit, after two cross country moves in the last year they are selling exactly what we want. I was all set to just suck it up and go IKEA and maybe replace whatever we end up with in a couple years, but now I just want to save up for this :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

babydonthurtme posted:

Are these people for real? They're way out of budget for what we need but godamnit, after two cross country moves in the last year they are selling exactly what we want. I was all set to just suck it up and go IKEA and maybe replace whatever we end up with in a couple years, but now I just want to save up for this :ohdear:
Meet in the middle and get a love seat? Ikea has at least one that's 5-1/2 feet long. $250 for a temporary couch while you save isn't too bad.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
How do I do overhead lighting if there are no wires running there? Ceiling is plaster. We're renting but we have nice landlords and friendly upstairs neighbors. Landlords would object to anything too invasive I think.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

I'm pretty happy with the couch I got at Home Reserve. It comes disassembled and seems pretty easy to disassemble again which was important to us since we may be moving again in 6 months, and while it's not of amazing quality it's comfy and feels like it'll last as long if not longer than an IKEA. Plus the underseat storage is cool.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Defenestration posted:

How do I do overhead lighting if there are no wires running there? Ceiling is plaster. We're renting but we have nice landlords and friendly upstairs neighbors. Landlords would object to anything too invasive I think.
I think what you might be looking for is a "hardwall hanger". I don't know how well it'd work on plaster.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

Yeah, they're for real! I got mine for a similar reason, and it's great. It's really high-quality furniture, built in that Carolinas furniture alley. You wouldn't know it was modular unless you saw it coming apart.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 1, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Google "swag light" and see if that fits your fancy.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

photomikey posted:

Google "swag light" and see if that fits your fancy.

:aaa: I had no idea this was a thing and now I'm excited that I'll soon have a living room that's not dark

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Yeah, they're for real! I got mine for a similar reason, and it's great. It's really high-quality furniture, built in that Carolinas furniture alley. You wouldn't know it was modular unless you saw it coming apart.
Well then, I guess I know what we're doing-- cheap IKEA sofa to tide us over, then we'll eventually get one of those. I really like modular furniture-- the only desk we have is my half of an old elfa setup that's basically followed us around on all our moves because most of it can be easily flat packed. My main concern is always sturdiness, but they seem to have that taken care of.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

Well then, I guess I know what we're doing-- cheap IKEA sofa to tide us over, then we'll eventually get one of those. I really like modular furniture-- the only desk we have is my half of an old elfa setup that's basically followed us around on all our moves because most of it can be easily flat packed. My main concern is always sturdiness, but they seem to have that taken care of.

They're a seriously great company, and they include full lifetime warranty on frame construction and springs, with a one-year return window. If you don't think it's sturdy enough for you, I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you and either make it right or take it back.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thought I had found the perfect cheap curtain at IKEA for $20/pair and lo and behold they are at their shortest 98". Any ideas for a more standard 84" curtain that's cheap?

The goal is to use it to span across a massive glass sliding door that is the wall/front door of the condo I'm at so a thicker privacy curtain is needed. Right now there are these plastic hanging blinds that sway and make noise, fall off, and just in general look ugly.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 7, 2016

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

Thought I had found the perfect cheap curtain at IKEA for $20/pair and lo and behold they are at their shortest 98". Any ideas for a more standard 84" curtain that's cheap?

The goal is to use it to span across a massive glass sliding door that is the wall/front door of the condo I'm at so a thicker privacy curtain is needed. Right now there are these plastic hanging blinds that sway and make noise, fall off, and just in general look ugly.

Hem those suckers

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They should even come with heat activated hem tape so all you need is an iron.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My back door from my kitchen is a metal door with a foam core and in a wooden doorframe. Both the storm door and the actual don't poo poo without being SLAMMED shut. My neighbor's kitchen is on one side and our bedroom is on the other side, so not really happy about slamming it. On humid days, I have to hip check or kick them closed and that means it pops open when I forget to do that. I live in an old apartment, so I assume that the doorframe is warped slightly. Is this even something I can have my landlord fix or is it a "live with it" situation?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Since it's a wooden door frame you could possibly sand the doorframe down where it rubs and re-paint it. Or pester your landlord to do so.

Usually with a wooden door you'd want to sand down the door but that's not really an option with a metal door.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 11, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Tell your landlord. Fixing doors that don't close quite right is an art. The bottom right is out too far, so you give each hinge screw a couple turns, then the bottom closes fine but the top rubs, so you give each one of those an extra turn and then the lock won't latch. You are more apt to screw it up worse than you are to fix it. But yes, it's easily fixable.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Is it unreasonable to ask the landlord for a copy of the lease along with the application for an apartment? I did this recently and the guy gave me a shifty look.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You should always have a copy of your lease so I don't see anything wrong with it

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Crazyeyes posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask the landlord for a copy of the lease along with the application for an apartment? I did this recently and the guy gave me a shifty look.

A lot of the time they won't let you see the lease until they're ready to let you sign it. You can ask about certain clauses if you're worried about them having weird rules.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

A lot of the time they won't let you see the lease until they're ready to let you sign it. You can ask about certain clauses if you're worried about them having weird rules.

Ok that's what the guy said and I was really put off by it. I feel like that should be pretty much the first thing I see. Before I even submit the application. Especially since this guy told me the application fee was first moth's rent + some other stuff.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Ok that's what the guy said and I was really put off by it. I feel like that should be pretty much the first thing I see. Before I even submit the application. Especially since this guy told me the application fee was first moth's rent + some other stuff.

That sounds real sketch. Application fees should be like $50 max.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That sounds real sketch. Application fees should be like $50 max.

Yeah. check your local laws, in California its like $30 max.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The fact that the application fee is so high makes me think he probably has a lot of people back out after they see the lease. Which makes me think the lease is terrible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

An application fee is ostensibly supposed to cover the costs of a credit/cursory background check. The first month's rent/security deposit is supposed to be given at lease signing.

Like everyone else is saying, these are some pretty serious red flags. Are you sure you didn't just misunderstand him?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

An application fee is ostensibly supposed to cover the costs of a credit/cursory background check. The first month's rent/security deposit is supposed to be given at lease signing.

Like everyone else is saying, these are some pretty serious red flags. Are you sure you didn't just misunderstand him?

I am not entirely sure I didn't misunderstand. His accent was very thick.

I do know he told me I couldn't have a copy of the lease, but that he "had it memorized" if I had any questions, which I thought was sketchy as hell.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It is not particularly sketchy to not let you see the lease until you're ready to rent the place, or for the landlord/building manager to know the lease pretty much by heart and answer specific questions about the lease/rules/experience of the place. It is exceptionally sketch for somebody to ask for the first month's rent as the application fee, it would be much more in line for that to be the deposit you pay when you are moving in.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 22, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I would say that it is not typical for people to give you the lease before the application - usually you apply, they approve you, then you pay your first/last/deposit with the lease signing. I would also generally trust a landlord to know what is in their lease and be able to answer questions about its content, even if they aren't going to provide it. The exception I would make to this is that if you are not dealing directly with the landlord it is not unreasonable to ask the agent/whoever for the lease information, because way too often I have had an agent show a property and swear up and down about stuff that is radically different in the actual lease.

Asking for the first month's rent when you apply sounds crazy, though, and I would definitely balk at that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should be able to give you a sample lease before you commit. It is sketchy as poo poo to not do so.

They may want a deposit at the time of application. That will be used to reserve the unit, and if you decide not to take it, could be applied to any loses sustained (typically that would be you rent today to move in a month from now. So they take it off the market. Then 2 days before your move in date you cancel. Now they have to try to market it and it will probably sit vacant for a few days. Your deposit is there to offset that. But this should all be spelled out in whatever agreement you sign when you apply.

So: One month as application fee= bad. One month as deposit=okay, but make sure the paperwork spells out how it will be treated

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
First of all, it's a good idea to review the lease before signing, and asking for it at application is not a bad idea at all. That aside, it has literally never happened to me and when you asked, I would immediately think you were trying to sneak something by me. I, and most landlords I know, know the beats of the lease by heart. If you have a question, I know exactly what the lease says about it and I'd actually rather answer your questions than show you the lease (which you will immediately misinterpret). I use a very lightly modified California rear end'n of Realtors standard lease form, and if you asked for a copy of my lease at the same time you were picking up an application, I probably would just tell you to pull the standard lease off the CAR site and ask me if you had any questions. Once you apply, I know you're in it for reals, and I'd be much more likely to draw up the lease we will actually use and let you review it (and if you choose, reject it) before we sign it.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

photomikey posted:

If you have a question, I know exactly what the lease says about it and I'd actually rather answer your questions than show you the lease (which you will immediately misinterpret).

If your lease is that easily misinterpreted, you should probably add further clarification in the actual written lease. The lease is in place to lay out the rules so the tenant does not need to take you at you word (or explanation)... everything is literally spelled out in a document.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Most tenants (Far north of 90% - probably closer to 95%) cannot parse a legal document. My tenants are probably the upper 20% of tenants nationwide and I still find this to be true. Other landlords from our local group just hand over the lease, have them initial each page and sign the back, then hand it back - they have no idea what they're agreeing to. Personally, I go over every clause and explain what it means, and I still have comprehension problems. That's why when someone wants to see the lease before they sign it, I hand it over, and then ask what their concern is. It's always something specific, and I let them know what it boils down to in the lease.

But, thanks for your advice.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

My concern is that if I ask some question about the lease, even if they are going over it with me right there, they could lie if I don't understand/haven't had time to read it thoroughly. Just because the landlord says one thing doesn't mean the lease says that and they could be purposefully misleading.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I need some advice on interior design. We got a typical long rectangular shaped apartment living room/dining room, with a sliding glass door on one end of the short side, and then the door to the tiny cubby kitchen on the other short end.

Our setup is really simple, we got a couch running alongside the left long-side, and then the TV right across from it. Everything else is basically positioned off of the TV and couch so everything ends up being on the long edge of the rectangle. On the very bottom is our round dining room table and chairs (it has leafs so it can be expanded or made smaller), as well as a little island console with our microwave on it (very tiny kitchen, so little counter space)

Our big problem I guess is "defining space" or whatever you call it, we just have one giant room with a couch

Here's a lovely sketchup from some lovely free room planner website.

So, we're not sure what to get here. We're thinking of maybe a chair of some type to go in the top-right corner right next to the bookcase and infront of the window part of the sliding patio door, but we're also thinking we want to get a love-seat or another chair. If so, how do we place it? Should I move the desk elsewhere, and put a chair and side-table to the bottom of the couch, with the back facing towards the southern part of the room so it boxes off the room better? Love seat up against the top right next to the patio-door? We moved in with very sparse furniture that were hand-me downs from family, and since then have slowly accumulated some little things here and there so no planning ever really went into this space.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Crazyeyes posted:

My concern is that if I ask some question about the lease, even if they are going over it with me right there, they could lie if I don't understand/haven't had time to read it thoroughly. Just because the landlord says one thing doesn't mean the lease says that and they could be purposefully misleading.
If you get through the whole process of applying and being approved, make sure you have enough time to sit there and read the entire thing before signing.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Okay, just so I don't jump in too aggressively and too quickly, here's my neighbor issue:

It's an apartment complex building, four lower apartments, four upper. I live in one of the upper apartments.

This most recent neighbor of mine has gotten into the habit of watching movies/listening to music/playing video games at 10-11 at night with his subwoofer cranked up loud enough that not only can I feel the vibrations through the floor, I can often feel them through the coffee table I usually have my laptop sitting on.

Twice now I have already tried to be the nice neighbor, go downstairs, knock on the door and hope for a decent, pleasant talk-- this fucker obviously hears me knocking, but doesn't respond.

First time I tried was that magical night when Daylight Savings started again and I had work at 8 the next morning. 10 PM rolls around, I can still feel the bass. 15 minutes later, I go downstairs to knock and maybe have a nice chat. Nothing, except things got magically quieter.

Second time was tonight. It's after 11 PM as I write this and I tried the "nice neighbor just wants to have a quick chat" and was ignored again with a magical quieting.

Tomorrow I am considering contacting the property manager to let them know this is starting to become an ongoing issue. I have not contacted the police yet to file a complaint because while it annoys me, at the same time, I am also one of those people that goes "oh, but it's just an inconvenience" until I try to talk to the neighbors and get zero verbal response.

There is no defined noise curfew in my city, only a basic "hey, keep it down, don't be a dick."

City of Stevens Point posted:

Noise Violations
Excessive noise that is a disturbance to others is prohibited and if cited can result in fines.This includes, but is not limited to voices, loud music, engines, etc.

See Stevens Point Ordinance 21.03 (14) (pdf)

SP Ordinance 21.03 (14) posted:

(14) No owner, operator, or occupant of a building, building unit, or premise shall without
written approval from the City of Stevens Point suffer, permit, or allow any noise tending to
unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet of persons in the vicinity thereof unless the making and
continuing of the same cannot be prevented and is necessary for the protection or preservation of
property or the health, safety, life or limb of some person. No such person shall suffer permit, or allow
any loud, excessive or unusual noise in the operation or use of any radio, phonograph, or other
mechanical or electrical device, instrument or machine, which loud or excessive or unusual noise shall
disturb the comfort, quiet, or repose of persons therein or in the vicinity.

tl;dr: I have rear end in a top hat neighbors that refuse to actually talk to me face to face at least twice now for the same reason. I'm already at the point where I'm wanting to file a formal complaint with the property manager and/or call the police every time this poo poo starts up again never mind that sometimes I work in the early morning and this regularly starts around 9-10 PM!! Is doing both at once too much, or am I being too much of a doormat and should just man up and start calling the cops on them every single time they do it?

fake edit: they'll know it's me regardless of an "anonymous complaint" so there's gently caress all I can do about that.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Twice in 2 weeks? Honestly he might have just gotten carried away and didn't realize it was so loud. I've got to assume your neighbor is a reasonable person but can't stand confrontation. As soon as he heard the knocks he probably knew exactly what the problem is.

If it were me, I would probably give it a couple more instances before I went to the police. Maybe just call your landlord the next time it happens? Invite him/her over to hear the noise? If they don't give a poo poo about it, you should just start calling the police when it's too loud.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
I'd be tempted to agree at the "can't stand confrontation", but seeing as he was pumping his music at 10 AM this morning, loud as you please, with as much bass as you please, I'm more inclined towards the "ugh FINE I'LL TURN IT DOWN :mad: "

Either way, I would've let it sit if he hadn't done the music thing this morning, so I lodged a complaint with the property manager. They seem to take noise complaints pretty seriously so I really hope it'll just be the end of it.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I would just slip a note under the door like "dude, it's not gonna work out to just wait for me to knock to let you know you're being too loud. get a decibel meter and figure out what you need to keep it under. hint: if poo poo's shaking, you're waving your dick in everyone's face"

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Basically my whole life, I've lived in the NYC area either in NJ or NY. In the past, when my lease was going to be up, I would get a lease renewal form in the mail usually 60 days before the end of the lease (and usually with a rent increase) and would have ample time to decide to sign it, negotiate the new rent, or tell them no thanks and find a new place.

Last year, I moved to California. I just realized it's a little over 1 month before my year long lease is up and I haven't gotten a lease renewal yet. I looked over my lease and there is nothing in there about when or if I will receive a lease renewal. The only thing it says is once the lease is up, it will go into a month to month lease. A quick google search is telling me that landlords in California do not have to give a lease renewal or notify the tenants ahead of time if they do not want to renew their lease.

I like my apartment, building and neighborhood, and after moving across the country and dealing with that stress, I don't want to have to move again so soon. I'm also starting a new job next month and that's stressful enough already. I also like my landlords, they're very nice and we've had 0 issues with them. We've been perfect tenants: kept the place spotless, friendly with our neighbors, always on time with rent, etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with lease renewals in California? Is what I'm reading on Google correct? If so, do I need to ask them for a lease renewal? Do I just wait it out? Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'd just call your landlord and ask.