Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This can't be right: I'm getting a defensive call to arms from Austria, and apparently the fact that this puts me at war with Savoy which I have a truce with, means I lose 5 stability. The call to arms of course doesn't mention this. Seems a bit harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You're right, that can't be right. You never get stab hits on defensive CtAs, regardless of truces. You guys are normal allies presumably?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This can't be right: I'm getting a defensive call to arms from Austria, and apparently the fact that this puts me at war with Savoy which I have a truce with, means I lose 5 stability. The call to arms of course doesn't mention this. Seems a bit harsh.

Do you have mil access with anyone that you're at war with now?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

You're right, that can't be right. You never get stab hits on defensive CtAs, regardless of truces. You guys are normal allies presumably?
Were at the time, yeah.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you have mil access with anyone that you're at war with now?
Well, I decided to do it over and let Austria hang, not going to take an unannounced 5 stab hit for a war we were sure to lose, so I'm well past it now, but I'm pretty sure I didn't since it was solely against France and Savoy. Not much reason to have military access with either at this point.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So after 200 hours in the game I just found out that pressing esc means autodecline, when I got the offer to fight megaAustria for succesion over the Commonwealth as Russia. Now Austria wants to break our alliance anyway.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
So with the new replay feature and the ability to play beyond the end date (without Ironman), you can actually combine the two: play until 3400AD and see how you got there :catstare:

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Allyn posted:

So with the new replay feature and the ability to play beyond the end date (without Ironman), you can actually combine the two: play until 3400AD and see how you got there :catstare:

According to the stream, it actually goes to 9999AD. 3400 was just as far as that game had been run so far. No new anything past 1821, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I see they're getting things ready for the EU4 - Stellaris converter.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Sorry if this is something that gets brought up a lot, but I started my first two games with the random new world turned on.

This was as Portugal:

The trade routes with those northern continents are all weird, and not super helpful for Portugal (would've been great for England)

and England:

The two landmasses don't seem to be linked by a trade route, so no Trans-Atlantic trade? And that tiny landmass I have a colony on obviously doesn't have a route to the English Channel :(

So my question is, is the random new world generator always this lovely, or does it generate real continents sometimes? The picture in the OP looks neat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

doctor iono posted:

Sorry if this is something that gets brought up a lot, but I started my first two games with the random new world turned on.

This was as Portugal:

The trade routes with those northern continents are all weird, and not super helpful for Portugal (would've been great for England)

and England:

The two landmasses don't seem to be linked by a trade route, so no Trans-Atlantic trade? And that tiny landmass I have a colony on obviously doesn't have a route to the English Channel :(

So my question is, is the random new world generator always this lovely, or does it generate real continents sometimes? The picture in the OP looks neat.

Trade routes can definitely get funky. In my current game there's a decent sized chunk of land just below where Greenland would be, but it doesn't ship any trade to Britain. In fact there's a continent right where north America should be that doesn't ship any trade directly to western Europe. The only nodes that flow in are to Ivory Coast and Seville, and they go through a Caribbean analog..

Honestly, if I start a game as a colonizer now the first thing I do is check the relevant European trade nodes I'll be using. If they have one or more ??? tabs that means they'll get trade flowing in from the New World. If not they never ever will. I'll restart immediately if it's impossible to get any trade whatsoever for my node.

BIG continents seem pretty rare. Most RNWs seem to be very broken up/lots of small islands. They've said they might add more tiles / more big tiles, but either it's not a priority or they aren't mentioning as one of the next expansions features.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
got something for you pretty borders fans out there

don't worry, austria has salzburg contained, we are safe

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Fintilgin posted:

Trade routes can definitely get funky. In my current game there's a decent sized chunk of land just below where Greenland would be, but it doesn't ship any trade to Britain. In fact there's a continent right where north America should be that doesn't ship any trade directly to western Europe. The only nodes that flow in are to Ivory Coast and Seville, and they go through a Caribbean analog..

Honestly, if I start a game as a colonizer now the first thing I do is check the relevant European trade nodes I'll be using. If they have one or more ??? tabs that means they'll get trade flowing in from the New World. If not they never ever will. I'll restart immediately if it's impossible to get any trade whatsoever for my node.

That's a great tip, thanks.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Another Person posted:

provence.......

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

provence.......

the best bit is hungary

they look like a dog which is putting their paw up to shake hands

or perhaps it is the part where there are 2 Provences, 2 Savoys, 2 Livonian Orders, 3 Pommeranias, 2 Utrechts, 2 Hesses (who is the emperor), 2 Scotlands. like 20 mins before I took this screenshot there was an independent Meath.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

doctor iono posted:

[...]

This is kinda against the spirit of the thing, but you really should turn off lobby TI and take a peek at the eastern edges of the RNW to see if there's landmasses that would justify trade towards you. There's also some mods in the workshop that disable most of the smaller tiles to make continent-sized ones more frequent, so you might want to look into those, but I would say that tile sizes can be deceptive. Several of the medium-sized island tiles have a lot more provinces than you'd think.

In general though, while the RNW generator is Good and Cool, it is not the best thing ever either, and will hopefully get tweaked and have more larger landmasses added to it.

Another Person posted:

This is honestly pretty mild.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, come back when you've got something crazy like Austria snaking its way through Asia.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i think it is funny just because there are so many instances of stupidly hosed borders

it is more impressive when so many different things are going on than one really extreme thing like dudes stretching across the map as a mega blob, because when a nation gets big enough nobody will gently caress with it

e; basically, i think it is funnier when so many small hosed up stars align

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 23, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Another Person posted:

the best bit is hungary

they look like a dog which is putting their paw up to shake hands

or perhaps it is the part where there are 2 Provences, 2 Savoys, 2 Livonian Orders, 3 Pommeranias, 2 Utrechts, 2 Hesses (who is the emperor), 2 Scotlands. like 20 mins before I took this screenshot there was an independent Meath.

provence is in a minimum of three pieces and possibly four. can't tell what's going on in belgium.

they start out split up, of course, but... not quite that much.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Speaking of ugly rear end borders. In my current Ottomans game Poland decided since it was unlikely they were going to annex Lithuania they would just expand around them.

Hasnt quite worked out for them. LITHUANIA SMASH!

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Another Person posted:

Behold my works and despair:

Tsyni posted:

I know you guys love pretty borders:

Mostly unremarkable Papal State run. Grabbed several achievements I didn't have yet. Only really interesting thing was Canada being the third most powerful country in the world after I had my way with Europe.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

provence is in a minimum of three pieces and possibly four. can't tell what's going on in belgium.

they start out split up, of course, but... not quite that much.

Provence is in 3 pieces. The little bit you see in the Lowlands? That is Hesse.

btw, if any of you do an Ottoman run any time soon, convert Bulgaria's cores and release them. they are the balkan prussia and are less Bulgaria and more Wrecking Ballgaria

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just want Mare Nostrum to come out so I can spend another 100 hours playing in Africa.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tsyni posted:

I just want Mare Nostrum to come out so I can spend another 100 hours playing in Africa.

:agreed:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Todays Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-24th-march-2016.915482/

Not much in there. You can now unconditionally surrender and give enemies 100% warscore against you if you're getting stomped, and some stuff about map sharing.

Good news is the release date is April 5th.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Guys, I haven't been playing this for a while and I want to do a custom nation run on very easy, for chillaxing purposes. Please, recommend me the most OP combo you can think of. I usually start with -tech and +shock, but then everything worth of note seems appealing. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

+Legitimacy is strong for monarchy starts, but if you just want the most broken poo poo then set custom nation points to 800 and give yourself maximum +republican tradition with an oligarchic republic start, that will solve all your monarch point needs. Then I don't know, max +morale of armies is really powerful early game. I'd pick max discipline somewhere and something like +20% Artillery Combat Ability as the finisher/7th idea since that's around the point where arty becomes useful in combat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YF-23 posted:

+Legitimacy is strong for monarchy starts, but if you just want the most broken poo poo then set custom nation points to 800 and give yourself maximum +republican tradition with an oligarchic republic start, that will solve all your monarch point needs.

or just be a Dutch Republic

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Transmetropolitan posted:

Guys, I haven't been playing this for a while and I want to do a custom nation run on very easy, for chillaxing purposes. Please, recommend me the most OP combo you can think of. I usually start with -tech and +shock, but then everything worth of note seems appealing. :v:

Dutch Republic, +fire, +shock, +AT gain, -AT decay, +discipline, +morale.

Add whatever else to taste and however many points you're running with. If you start next to colonizeable stuff, just grab +colonist and +growth and balloon like whoa.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Dutch Republic, +fire, +shock, +AT gain, -AT decay, +discipline, +morale.

Though you are pretty much given to be a OPM with the cost of these things, no?

(I assume you are suggesting to max the bonuses out)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Transmetropolitan posted:

Though you are pretty much given to be a OPM with the cost of these things, no?

(I assume you are suggesting to max the bonuses out)
With 800 points you can do a lot. Wont be a OPM but you wont be the Ottomans or even Aragon at start, but if you do a random world you should be fine.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

do a random world

heresy

OP custom nations are meant to laugh maniacally as you trash France et al, come on :gibs:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Although if you do a wacky custom nation remember to not choose something silly like Atlantean culture, it seems like it's going to be fun but then you realize that all that means is that your rulers have silly names and nothing in your neighborhood is accepted culture

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
If you're not going after the "Ideas Guy" achievement you can just remove the point restriction and go hog wild :toot:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chickpea Roar posted:

If you're not going after the "Ideas Guy" achievement you can just remove the point restriction and go hog wild :toot:

How?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I think there are some mods that just do that.

Like this

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Football?!?

Also pictured: Me failing at getting Ming to collapse. Twice I have taken them to 20 WE and took nothing in the peace deal and two other times I got them to 20 WE and took only tiny bits and they just wont explode.

I'll hopefully be earning Sultan of Rum, Thats a Silk Road, and Master of India in the next few years :neckbeard:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So with the new territory system, which has been switched to areas instead of regions, can I assign American areas as core territory? Like I get to keep New England or Cuba or something as core national land and it doesn't go to a colonial nation?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

We've seen no indication that that is the case, and I would not expect it to be so.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

We've seen no indication that that is the case, and I would not expect it to be so.

Too bad. I often want to do something like keep Panama or a Caribbean island as a staging area / recruitment / national zone.

I mean, I usually do it by grabbing Newfoundland or something (and nothing else in Canada), but it would be nice to have some more choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well you can recruit in your CNs now, which is the most annoying part of that removed.

• Locked thread