Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Travis343 posted:

Well amazon doesn't sell raw meat and vegetables, I don't think. And getting some Domino's delivered doesn't come with the free back pat of getting to say you cooked a meal.

I guess as a first step into providing for oneself, anything that gets people fresh out of college off of takeout and totinos is good. To me it just seems like a ridiculous extravagance. To paraphrase a McElroy the problems solved by Blue Apron and the rest are so white you could cut holes in them and wear them as a Halloween costume.

Yeah nobody wants to learn things to learn things, it's just to get a "free back pat" for the meal you cooked for yourself from... someone, somewhere

Not gonna touch that second part with a ten foot pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's pretty decent portion control too, I dunno how Blue Apron works but the UK equivalents tell you the nutritional content and it's handy. Some weeks I'm too busy/stressed to do a proper shop and I get one of those boxes, if that makes me a lazy millennial satan then at least I am a lazy millennial satan with a nice burger to eat.

Got some MeUndies based on the ads, so yeah, their ads sometimes work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well this is really losing the point of what I said in the first place, being able to get groceries delivered isn't the same thing as a subscription service that plans your meals for you and sends you everything you need to do it short of turning the oven on for you

And it doesn't excuse all the other dumb subscription services advertising on maxfun shows either

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well this is really losing the point of what I said in the first place, being able to get groceries delivered isn't the same thing as a subscription service that plans your meals for you and sends you everything you need to do it short of turning the oven on for you

so, pressing one button to order a meal online is materially different than pressing several buttons to google a recipe, then search for the ingredients on amazon fresh

k

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Blue Apron is mad white but being white is rad and has historically worked out great so ???

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Literally the entire premise of My Brother My Brother And Me is that people can't figure out the basics of being an adult and interacting with other people and so they ask a podcast things like "how do I have a conversation with my roomate?"

If the listeners of MBMBAM could think about and figure out how to do adult things on their own the show would not exist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

whew, at first i was gonna order spaghetti from blue apron, but then i pressed ctrl+t and searched "spaghetti recipe"

those extra clicks have turned me from a filthy privileged millenial into a proud evolution of the first hunter-gatherers

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MeUndies are pretty good. I bought one pair just to try it out and now I want more. Not super excited about spending $80 on 5 pairs or whatever, which is the only reason I haven't already ordered more.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, one requires you to know exactly what you can do already and the other helps you learn a thing along the way. How lazy! And that dreadful mealplanning, who could've known that when weightwatchers started in 1963 they had to wait so long for those lazy young people to show up

Like, every single subscription service I've seen targets one of two things: either a recurring service that you're paying for the benefit of not running out of an easily-overlookable thing when you need it (see: dollar shave club) or you're paying for someone else to give you a selection of things that you'd be extremely unlikely to encounter/find/acquire on your own (like naturebox). Framing it as millenials wanting mommy to do their chores for them is baffling and reeks of you coming to a thing with your own opinion and ignoring anything that doesn't fit it!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's what I'm saying, if you want to learn how to cook the internet is right there. You're already using the Internet to order the blue apron. You can learn whatever you want on there.

Picking out a meal, learning the recipe, and buying what you need for it is absolutely different than just waiting for the box to come in the mail and following the instructions. The whole thread was bagging on these stupid Internet companies but when I articulate exactly why they're stupid all of a sudden the whole thread thinks they're awesome and rad

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

myron cope posted:

MeUndies are pretty good. I bought one pair just to try it out and now I want more. Not super excited about spending $80 on 5 pairs or whatever, which is the only reason I haven't already ordered more.

You can get the same thing at Uniqlo for like $7 a pair.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
When I saw this thread had like a hundred replies since last time I checked it I assumed Griffin choked to death or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nature box / Blue Apron, whatever. You're paying a premium for the convenience of not having to make the selection yourself. Not my thing, but I can see why people might want it.

The product I never understood was Stack-Soap. It's a bar of soap that has a groove so you can fit the sliver of the old bar in, and not waste it. ...but wet soap sticks to wet soap. You can just 'glue' the old bar to the new bar, regardless of shape. Doesn't everyone do this? This product does literally nothing for you.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 23, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I said all that poo poo about Internet companies but I'm gonna be honest if there was one that sent me a new crazy strain of weed every month I would subscribe to that

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bobulus posted:

The product I never understood was Stack-Soap. It's a bar of soap that has a groove so you can fit the sliver of the old bar in, and not waste it. ...but wet soap sticks to wet soap. You can just 'glue' the old bar to the new bar, regardless of shape. Doesn't everyone do this? This product does literally nothing for you.

Didn't the brothers not understand it either? I distinctly remember in one of the paid spots for the kickstarter one of them exclaiming "why did you give this so much money!?"

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Say what you will about Blue Apron, this is still a better side track of angry careposts than D&D systems bitching for TAZ.

We did it guys.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Who cares what dumb box people order? If they want to order a box with a pre-measured meal or a small bag of snacks, who cares? Chase your bliss and all that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

Nature box / Blue Apron, whatever. You're paying a premium for the convenience of not having to make the selection yourself. Not my thing, but I can see why people might want it.

I think my issue with blue apron vs the others is it's this weird 'we're disrupting the system man' thing that really just monetizes ignorance and lack of life skills. Like, it overcharges for ~the convenience~ of not having to go to the store but it's not like that's not actually a super important skill to have. Not just literally 'leave your home and go to the store' but like...smart shopping and poo poo. Coupons, store brands, looking at deals and all that, these are really important life skills no matter who you are and trying to throw in a 'or just pay me every week and I'll mail you stuff, don't worry about it' feels...gross I guess?

Plus I don't like anything that presents 'cooking' as if it's this barrier filled skill that boy howdy you need a lot of help to start huh? Mystifying the process of making food is how junk food companies and all keep their customers. There's no way you can just MAKE this stuff, better pay us an extra couple of bucks and you can just dump it in a pot and cook. That kinda stuff. The kind of people who can afford to pay someone a constant fee to mail them a box of ingredients can also afford to go to the store and remove the veil of mystery around food making.

It's like if someone started a service that just mailed you a fresh shirt and pants every day because gently caress laundry right guys?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm going on a longish vacation and coming back on a red eye mid-week. I'm going straight to work, working all day, and coming home. I'm def having a box of some sort of food prep stuff sent because after a vacation all I want is home-cooked food and gently caress if I'm going to the grocery store on my way home from work. So they have their place and if I traveled a lot or had really crazy work hours I would probably do it on the reg.

Also a cursory look at Blue Apron's recipe one of them had loving tempura which is the opposite of lazy.

They need to release a monster factory or something so we have something to talk about besides this.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Travis343 posted:

That's what I'm saying, if you want to learn how to cook the internet is right there. You're already using the Internet to order the blue apron. You can learn whatever you want on there.

Picking out a meal, learning the recipe, and buying what you need for it is absolutely different than just waiting for the box to come in the mail and following the instructions. The whole thread was bagging on these stupid Internet companies but when I articulate exactly why they're stupid all of a sudden the whole thread thinks they're awesome and rad

You can learn mandarin on the internet too, go ahead just start picking words out of the dictionary until you figure out what works

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

detectivemonkey posted:

They need to release a monster factory or something so we have something to talk about besides this.

We got the next Crystal Kingdom tomorrow, it's good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

detectivemonkey posted:

We can talk about the wonderful commitment to the bit that they didn't repeat a bit on Goofbusters 2. It's really great to me, and people are still commenting on their Facebook saying, like, "No, seriously, you did. Just listen!".

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

We can talk about the wonderful commitment to the bit that they didn't repeat a bit on Goofbusters 2. It's really great to me, and people are still commenting on their Facebook saying, like, "No, seriously, you did. Just listen!".

This is why I hesitate to join FB groups for anything I like, the terror of seeing how loving dumb comments can get.
:ohdear:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The MBMBaM one is shockingly pretty good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Isn't it still pretty heavily moderated by Travis?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Scudworth posted:

This is why I hesitate to join FB groups for anything I like, the terror of seeing how loving dumb comments can get.
:ohdear:

The MBMBAM FB is pretty decent, as far as they go.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

The Facebook group is worth it, especially to see all of Lin Manuels antics.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish I could order a better thread from a sf startup

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ordering things online: Chase your bliss/ stand in your truth/ no tea, no shade, no pink lemonade.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get any new Subway Hacks from goofbusters.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I really enjoy the Seth Romatelli-esque rants Griffin gets into every so often, and this week's Roze Buddiez bit about Flavor Flav defending Trump was no exception.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I hadn't heard of Flavour of Love before this podcast, and I had assumed maybe it was an attempt to combine the magic of cooking reality shows and dating reality shows or something weird like that.

I was shocked and disappointed.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I hadn't heard of Flavour of Love before this podcast, and I had assumed maybe it was an attempt to combine the magic of cooking reality shows and dating reality shows or something weird like that.

I was shocked and disappointed.

You didn't watch nearly enough. That show is pure magic.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Here's an underrated goof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjAkbRlf8o
"A butt with, like, a man's whole head in it!" is actually iambic pentameter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Literally the entire premise of My Brother My Brother And Me is that people can't figure out the basics of being an adult and interacting with other people and so they ask a podcast things like "how do I have a conversation with my roomate?"

If the listeners of MBMBAM could think about and figure out how to do adult things on their own the show would not exist.

No, the show is about laughing at people who can't figure out things on their own. Which makes the fact that most of their advertisers seem to be companies built around selling product subscriptions to people who can't figure out things on their own really funny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why is every thread in this subforum completely loving insane

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Alaois posted:

why is every thread in this subforum completely loving insane

Generally relaxed moderation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Generally relaxed moderation.

it can't just be that. is there something about podcasts as a medium that just attracts crazy people who NEED to share their views on (x) regardless of how much anybody else actually cares?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you realize you describe the very idea of internet forums right

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Alaois posted:

is there something about Something Awful that just attracts crazy people who NEED to share their views on (x) regardless of how much anybody else actually cares?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

you realize you describe the very idea of internet forums right

i just don't see the connection between "a place to talk about a podcast with 3 silly brothers" and "LET ME TELL YOU HOW loving MILLENIALS ARE RUINING THE WORLD BY LEARNING HOW TO COOK DIFFERENTLY THAN ME"