Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

I know nothing about the Federal hiring process or hiring processes in general, I imagine "Your Name has Been Sent to the Selecting Official" means that HR has determined that I meet the basic requirements and that a recruiter will go through the resumés they received to determine the best qualified candidates to interview, is that about right?

My USAJOBS status changed to "You Have Been Selected for the Position", so I guess I should be expecting an email from HR or somebody in the not too distant future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Soviet Commubot posted:

My USAJOBS status changed to "You Have Been Selected for the Position", so I guess I should be expecting an email from HR or somebody in the not too distant future?

Different Position. You should still expect a call to come in.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Different Position. You should still expect a call to come in.

I got the tentative job offer today, I'm honestly pretty surprised it happened that quickly.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, So I guess I have got to this point-

Is there any truth to the "yes, DO disclose your disability for federal/government jobs- its actually likely to help" meme out there?

Bipolar disorder scares a lot of people and is synonymous with irresponsibility, learned quickly in my varied life to not disclose it unless it is some thing that could boomerang 20 years down the track to hurt you i.e. I had to disclose it when I was admitted to the bar (equivalent) in a foreign country.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Ever hear of schedule A, Jacobin?

If not, look it up at OPM.gov. Psych issues like bipolar are what are known as "targeted disabilities" - folks with disabilities where the government doesn't have many of em and needs to recruit em for their own hiring requirements.

Of course, I would yield to those already in fed service if they say don't disclose, because I might be wrong.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I was trying to learn more about Schedule A myself, since I have major depression and generalized anxiety; both of those are on the targeted disability list under "psychiatric disability."

I felt a little weird and dishonest (?) about saying my mental illness qualifies me to have the same treatment as someone with an "actual" disability, and but then I remembered that part of the stigma against psychiatric issues comes from the fact that people can't see them. Just because people can't see what's going with my brain chemistry doesn't mean they're not real problems that I haven't had to manage.

I found these to be pretty useful:

http://www.dol.gov/odep/wrp/scheduleachecklist.pdf

http://www.benderconsult.com/careers/schedule-A-process

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf256.pdf

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Thank you wolf and ace- currently going about getting a 'proof of disability' letter from my doc now.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Schedule A's important, but enforcement of reasonable accommodation once you are working matters as well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This question is sort of related to the recent educational discussion and is possibly not something anyone can answer--

Does education help in any way other than strictly allowing you to yes/no apply to increasingly higher grade levels? Does, say, having a master's degree do nothing specifically for you if you are applying to a job below GS-9, where it would be required in lieu of time-in-grade?

I should probably talk to my local HR people about this but I would also be interested to hear a "real-life" perspective as well. I definitely did not get the sense that the promotion people cared in the slightest about my education since I had the necessary time-in-grade as well--and maybe that is just "working as intended?" Not sure.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

This question is sort of related to the recent educational discussion and is possibly not something anyone can answer--

<degree stuff>

It depends. (We love saying that in government, don't we?) Where I work, if you are a GS-13 or above, you are pretty much expected to have or to be working towards an advanced degree. Is it a hard requirement? No, there are plenty of exceptions, but they are mostly people who have been in place a while or there's some other special skillset that got them to where they are. We generally encourage people to start pursuing their masters so they have it by their 12, looking towards 13 where it will be expected by a promotion panel. Now does that mean a masters guarantees a promotion? No. And as I said not a hard requirement either, but you know most of the people you are going against will have them by that point. I should say relevant masters, as well.

There are jobs where advanced degrees won't matter, though. Below 12s are usually in set development paths and their degrees will be ignored generally speaking other than whatever they were worth coming in. They may have helped get the initial job or set the initial grade, but that is it. An applicable advanced degree will eventually be worth having for them none the less, unless they have some super special other talents or don't want to go beyond 12.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh, thats good. Having a Masters helped land me a 7/9/11 job, but I wasn't sure if the time it would take to move up the ladder and get another job would diminish having the degree. It's nice to know that its basically a prereq for GS12+ so it'll help me a lot down the road as well.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I should also say that promotion panels look for growth, too, so if you have an advanced degree plan another way to show you are improving your skills and increasing your contribution and not just lazing about in your position waiting for the promotions to come. Not specifically targeting this post at anyone! Just don't want anyone to think that having an advanced degree sets them for life. And the reality is promotion panels even at the same place can be composed of very different people and whoever is the lead often sets the tone for what is being looked for. So generalities, grains of salt, all that nonsense.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If I have a masters does that preclude me from being selected for lower positions, say a 5?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Sad, depressed question, so please keep that in mind as you answer - I can take honesty, but not false hope by this point.

Whenever I apply for jobs, granted they're around GS-5...I am always always always beaten by vets. Nothing I do, no matter how perfect I might look for the job, beats what I am quickly calling the "Green Wall".

Is it such that a non-vet should not bother applying to the government, or is there actually a hope in hell of someone with Schedule A but not vets preference being able to use Schedule A to get selected?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

FWIW I'm not a vet and I got into an agency that's like 80% vets in the DoD. I am, however, a highly-qualified engineer with extensive education and critical private sector experience, so YMMV. I think it just really depends on your background and which corner of the Federal world you're trying to penetrate.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I just got a GS-5 position with a 5-6-7 ladder, and I'm not a vet. However, what I did have were two very specific qualifications for my position. These two qualifications precluded everyone that didn't have at least some time in the job field. So it is possible. Don't lose hope! All it takes is one posting to not have vets apply.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

If I have a masters does that preclude me from being selected for lower positions, say a 5?

I started as a 5 with an MA, so probably not an issue.*

*may depend on agency, etc. Also, they deemed my MA irrelevant to the position :shrug:

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

e_wraith posted:

Oh, I should also say that promotion panels look for growth, too, so if you have an advanced degree plan another way to show you are improving your skills and increasing your contribution and not just lazing about in your position waiting for the promotions to come. Not specifically targeting this post at anyone! Just don't want anyone to think that having an advanced degree sets them for life. And the reality is promotion panels even at the same place can be composed of very different people and whoever is the lead often sets the tone for what is being looked for. So generalities, grains of salt, all that nonsense.
This and your first post make a lot of sense. Granted, it kind of hurts my feelings to think that "you spent 5 years out of the workforce, but what are you doing to improve yourself NOW?" is the line of reasoning they may be running with, but what can you do? I doubt hiring panels even necessarily recognize you can get in trouble for even having an outside job while in a doctoral program (though I have no doubt that varies by institution) so it just makes me sad to think it is expected that you do that on-the-job instead of outside-the-job.

BUT! Other than that point, everything you said makes sense, and it is good to know that the higher up you go the more it is expected that you have some extra educational qualifications. Not, mind you, that I ever thought I would even make GS-12 money, let alone more than that, but apparently turning my sights outside academia does have some advantages.

Oh and

Spacewolf posted:

Sad, depressed question, so please keep that in mind as you answer - I can take honesty, but not false hope by this point.

Whenever I apply for jobs, granted they're around GS-5...I am always always always beaten by vets. Nothing I do, no matter how perfect I might look for the job, beats what I am quickly calling the "Green Wall".

Is it such that a non-vet should not bother applying to the government, or is there actually a hope in hell of someone with Schedule A but not vets preference being able to use Schedule A to get selected?
Looking for honesty: I applied to ~250 jobs and only got to the "we are interested enough to take you to the next level" phase twice. But, it seems like 20% of postings are cancelled without doing any hiring, and then maybe 10% were jobs at lower grades than where I was eventually hired, where the panels probably assumed (likely correctly) that I would move on the moment I found something else. I was hired as part of a group coming into my agency that was about 75% ex-military, then the rest were all either lawyers or former long-term contractors for the agency (and then you had me, the recovering academic).

But! Then get into why it actually is not as bad: Schedule A should, in some ways, actually help you out more than being a veteran--I do not know anything about the program first-hand, but it sounds like it is sort of like being a Returning Peace Corps Volunteer in that you can directly apply to (some specific) jobs put aside for hiring the specific group, as opposed to veterans who, yes, have sort of a universal mild advantage that does end up being pretty significant, but do not have any specific jobs only open to them (unless you count National Guard postings).

I think your best bet is looking for postings listing "many vacancies," considering they were the only positions that ever got me any traction in my own huge job search, in addition to doing whatever Schedule A people are supposed to do.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I've never seen any postings specifically for Schedule A eligibles - USAJobs only lets you choose between "open to everybody" and "Federal employees only", basically...

Not saying they don't exist, but I have never ever seen them.

It could be that I'm failing at USAJobs's crappy interface.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

I've never seen any postings specifically for Schedule A eligibles - USAJobs only lets you choose between "open to everybody" and "Federal employees only", basically...

I don't believe that positions are ever listed as Schedule A only, rather you apply for a regular open position as a Schedule A applicant, which allows the agency to hire you without the usual competitive hiring rules. Each agency should have a coordinator that handles this.

Source: vague memories of discussions over lunch with a guy who was a Schedule A hire at the same time I was first hired.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

TheMadMilkman posted:

I don't believe that positions are ever listed as Schedule A only, rather you apply for a regular open position as a Schedule A applicant, which allows the agency to hire you without the usual competitive hiring rules. Each agency should have a coordinator that handles this.

Source: vague memories of discussions over lunch with a guy who was a Schedule A hire at the same time I was first hired.

Which is my memory too. How to use the Schedule A letter to not get beaten by a vet? That's where I get confused.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Bonzi Buddy stop talking to yourself

I know there are a couple of people with Schedule A experience in this thread...though I grant Spacewolf that you might be one of the people I am thinking of, which would not do you much good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TheMadMilkman posted:

If it follows most other attorney positions, GS-14 is probably the full working level, meaning that if you came in at 11 you would automatically be promoted a pay grade each year until you reach 14. Chances are that there are GS-15 positions, but you have to be a 14 for a year and then apply for the higher grade when one opens.

I would still ask just to make sure. If it was an auto promotion to 15, you would go from GS-14 step 6 to GS-15 step 2 next year. There's a "2 step rule" for grade promotions -- take your current pay step, add 2 steps, then find the first step on the new grade that meets or exceeds that number.

You can also ask why you were offered a 14 when you were marked as qualified for a 15. I know of numerous people who have pushed this point, myself included. I wasn't successful, but I know people who have been. Nobody's job offer was affected by asking, so why not ask?

I got the TO and it refers to the position as "GS-0905-14" but then under the position it says "the full performance level of this position is GS-15."

Am I understanding correctly that this means automatic promotion to 15 in a year? My brief research online tells me yes which would change things completely.

Also LOL at having to reply in three days after waiting three weeks...

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

That is what that should mean, I believe. I was initially hired as a GS 7 FPL 12, and I've been promoted every year on my anniversary, and am hitting 12 finally next month.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I got the TO and it refers to the position as "GS-0905-14" but then under the position it says "the full performance level of this position is GS-15."

Am I understanding correctly that this means automatic promotion to 15 in a year? My brief research online tells me yes which would change things completely.

Also LOL at having to reply in three days after waiting three weeks...

This is my understanding as well, but definitely verify. Losing a few thousand in year 1 is nothing in the long run, and at GS-14 step 6 you would be GS-15 step 2 in year 2 and right on track.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

Bonzi Buddy stop talking to yourself

I know there are a couple of people with Schedule A experience in this thread...though I grant Spacewolf that you might be one of the people I am thinking of, which would not do you much good.

I think I am, which is kind of the problem.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Are there any aircraft logistics management types in here with a good working knowledge of LCN development?

If so, could you shoot me a pm if possible?

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
Finally got an email that I've passed my testing phases and got my tentative tentative offer. So if they decide they want me for any of the three locations I qualified for then I will get the tentative offer. It's about 13 months since I initially applied and 11 months since they sent the initial notice of an intention to test me for these openings. Now that I've spent five years trying to get in I might finally be in.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Welcome aboard the gravy train! *lights cigar with $100 bill*

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I had a tentative offer but I couldn't make the deadline for drug testing due to a flight cancellation yesterday so I'm hosed :(

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, how often does anyone here get drug tested?

I didn't get tested during the entry process nor have they tested me at any other point in the last 5 years.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

I didn't get tested during the entry process nor have they tested me at any other point in the last 5 years.

Depends on what you do. If you're in a place like TSA or any other agency dealing with national security, they will random piss test you all the time. At my new job however, I asked about drug testing and the manager and supervisor busted out laughing.

"This place would be empty if we did drug tests."

:stare:

Delorence Fickle fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 25, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Delorence Fickle posted:

Depends on what you do. If you're in a place like TSA or any other agency dealing with national security they will random piss test you all the time. At my new job however, I asked about drug testing and the manager and supervisor busted out laughing.

"This place would be empty if we did drug tests."

:stare:

I'm not as low as TSA by a long shot but work for one of the presidential programs involving POTUS' vehicles. Acquisition/maintenance type stuff (as evidenced by my LCN question above). I would fully expect them to piss test us but it's never happened. I'm fairly certain most of my co-workers go home and get high on the weekends in the way that old people would.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm at a national security type place (albeit as a contractor) and I've never been piss tested in 3 years.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Regarding Schedule A chat.

My husband was hired in it 5 years ago and posted in here. Many of our friends also were hired on it since we hang out with the Deaf community. There are two ways for Schedule A to work. At least, this is my belief...I don't know all the inner workings since I'm not in HR. We are both in 0500 series related jobs.

Number 1 is what was already mentioned: you attach your letter to your application and indicate it in the questions if necessary. Schedule A applicants are placed on a separate cert than DEU (all applicants), the veteran specific cert, and merit. His manager explained that it made it a lot easier to interview since there are very few names on the cert for Schedule A.

Number 2 is to contact an agency SPPC. Here is the directory: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/selective-placement-program-coordinator-directory/

A hiring manager can request to send an opening to them, and they can go through a list of all Schedule A ready applicants. One of my friends is an SPPC and she regularly will send emails out with a posting for Schedule A only applicants. Usually she sends it to state vocational rehabilitation agencies who will share with their clients.

You can also contact SPPCs directly, but not all SPPCs are responsive. I think my husband had only 1 reply to him, and they never sent him openings. He was eventually hired on an opening that was advertised as open to all, and came in on the Schedule A cert with one other person. After that, he just went through normal internal merit postings for his promotions once his 2 year probation ended.

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 25, 2016

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

LCL-Dead posted:

I was in a law enforcement-ish position for 4 years and got drug tested 4-5 times, plus the one at hiring. Asked at my new agency and doesn't sound like we get tested after the initial.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The job I was trying to get was with the National Nuclear Security Administration and required a Q Sensitive clearance, equivalent to Top Secret SCI so I imagine it was part of that. They also have their Human Reliability Program stuff which seems to require regular drug tests and other regular checks on behavior.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Soviet Commubot posted:

The job I was trying to get was with the National Nuclear Security Administration and required a Q Sensitive clearance, equivalent to Top Secret SCI so I imagine it was part of that. They also have their Human Reliability Program stuff which seems to require regular drug tests and other regular checks on behavior.

Courier?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Yup. Apparently they hire a couple of times a year so maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Soviet Commubot posted:

Yup. Apparently they hire a couple of times a year so maybe I'll have better luck next time.

I debated applying for that position but couldn't really get around the amount of travel involved in it. They do open up applications twice a year I think. I'm on the mailing list for whenever it does.