Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Barbers shouldn't make much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Sphinxster posted:

I disagree; I feel that the person who has such a large impact on my day-to-day appearance, and perhaps more importantly is using sharp instruments around my head, should feel well-compensated for their work.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You did not Ask. Rather, you Assumed.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Are you known for dropping the F-bomb on live radio?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
God Pat is just so rewarding to hate. There's just a deep deep well of unending things to be repulsed by and it only gets better on a re-read.

Like a literal murderer is infinitely more likable as a person. Not that Pat isn't a murderer...he has actually killed several times, hasn't he?

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just Offscreen posted:

God Pat is just so rewarding to hate. There's just a deep deep well of unending things to be repulsed by and it only gets better on a re-read.

Like a literal murderer is infinity more likable as a person. Not that Pat isn't a murderer...he has actually killed several times, hasn't he?

He killed Beef.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've said this before, but Pat is the only member of the cast who doesn't seem to have any steady job at all (Nice Pete has a steady job, just not the kind that pays rent). He was Vlad's sandwich slave for a while, but then that fell through and all his blog posts show his every attempt at entrepreneurship blowing up in his face. He's got no discernible skills or talent whatsoever, unless horrible vegan cooking counts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I love it when Ray casually insults Teodor.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Like a literal murderer is infinitely more likable as a person. Not that Pat isn't a murderer...he has actually killed several times, hasn't he?
Yeah, you want to avoid Nice Pete because you might end up dead or embroiled in one of his bizarre schemes like High School Night.

You don't want to hang out with Pat because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is being gay truly better than owning an iPod? Perhaps a scientific study on this ten year old wisdom nugget from Ray should have been undertaken.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The gently caress is an iPod?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's-- it's like a walkman, but... smaller?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Just Offscreen posted:

The gently caress is an iPod?

I can only get my stuff on it three out of ten times.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Saoshyant posted:

It's-- it's like a walkman, but... smaller?

Probably not, but better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

I love it when Ray casually insults Teodor.

Teodor is a bad friend who has genuine resentment towards Ray for being more successful than him. Not that it's completely impossible to understand not respecting a multi millionaire who idolizes Trump and argues about whiskey dicks. But Ray certainly picks up on some of that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Everyone is resentful of Ray. poo poo just falls into Ray's lap without trying, like that time he found 50 bucks on the sidewalk.
I think everyone knows someone like that and is at least a little resentful at how easy things are for them.

That was always one part of the GoF that I didn't like. Soft pampered rich boy who ain't never done a day's work in his life suddenly being this huge badass?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Everyone is resentful of Ray. poo poo just falls into Ray's lap without trying, like that time he found 50 bucks on the sidewalk.
I think everyone knows someone like that and is at least a little resentful at how easy things are for them.

That was always one part of the GoF that I didn't like. Soft pampered rich boy who ain't never done a day's work in his life suddenly being this huge badass?

The thing about Ray is that yes, everything falls in his lap but none of those things really change him. If Teodor or Roast Beef landed on a huge rear end sum of money or any real position of power it would change them for the worse- and it has in the past. Ray takes everything in stride, and that's what makes it ok when all this stuff happens to him- hes just an uncomplicated guy at heart.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ray's been spoiled since he came out of the womb, so obviously life continuing to dote on him doesn't change him.

As for being easygoing, well, that's his medallion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ray's honestly a pretty bad friend too, outside of matters where he can throw money at the problem; he's pretty dang insensitive towards his friend's problems a lot of the time, if not completely oblivious to them, and is frequently pretty selfish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just Offscreen posted:

hes just an uncomplicated guy at heart.

Throwing a party because his new toilet cleaner made the bowl look so nice :allears:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Roland Jones posted:

Ray's honestly a pretty bad friend too, outside of matters where he can throw money at the problem; he's pretty dang insensitive towards his friend's problems a lot of the time, if not completely oblivious to them, and is frequently pretty selfish.

I always thought that bit where Lyle calls Ray out of the blue and says "I need a hundred dollars and can't tell you why," and Ray comes through with it, said a lot about why nobody's blown up at Ray.

Yeah, he's a pretty terrible friend, but I get the feeling a real-life guy like him would be genuinely difficult to hate. He picks up the check all the time without making it a thing, for example.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
These two strips are Ray and his relationship with his friends in a nutshell.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I bet there are a bunch of people living offscreen in various parts of Ray's enormous-rear end McMansion and Ray lets it happen because A) it won't dent his finance, B) he doesn't care, and C) he probably hasn't noticed half of them.

There's a whole wing of the house he never has cause to enter but if he did he would notice it's a tent city with a better decorator. Every so often they leave pies or empanadas in the kitchen for him and he assumes he went grocery shopping while blackout drunk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's funny to me that Ray is almost as bad with mushy stuff as his dad.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
It's back and forth. What's the first thing he did with Airwolf? Call his boys to see if there were any problems Airwolf could solve.

When the chips were no longer down, well, all they were left with was Keith Moon's head and some uncomfortable truths. Friendship is complicated, dogg.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I always thought that bit where Lyle calls Ray out of the blue and says "I need a hundred dollars and can't tell you why," and Ray comes through with it, said a lot about why nobody's blown up at Ray.

Yeah, he's a pretty terrible friend, but I get the feeling a real-life guy like him would be genuinely difficult to hate. He picks up the check all the time without making it a thing, for example.

The one later arc when he goes on this big capitalist tear against Philippe seemed way out of character for him and one of many reasons why I really don't like the entire "Philippe goes home" storyline.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The one later arc when he goes on this big capitalist tear against Philippe seemed way out of character for him and one of many reasons why I really don't like the entire "Philippe goes home" storyline.

You mean the one where he was under the influence of a ruthless business shoe?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

No, the one where Philippe learns betrayal is the logical consequence of friendship

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I always thought that was perfectly in-character because Ray is under the delusion that he is a good businessman and that he has earned what he has.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought that was perfectly in-character because Ray is under the delusion that he is a good businessman and that he has earned what he has.

That part's in-character, but the bit where he'd take it out on Philippe bugged me.

This is the guy who hired some men to instigate a death relationship with an Internet pervert because he sent Philippe an email.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Ray Smuckles is a wonderful man!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Oxxidation posted:

That part's in-character, but the bit where he'd take it out on Philippe bugged me.

This is the guy who hired some men to instigate a death relationship with an Internet pervert because he sent Philippe an email.

He feels like doing this teaches Phillipe a lesson, and will help him grow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Discombobulator posted:

It's back and forth. What's the first thing he did with Airwolf? Call his boys to see if there were any problems Airwolf could solve.
I mean, that's what Airwolf is for, solving problems. You don't go shop for groceries in it, that'd be vulgar. If you just needed to get from A to B you coulda bought a regular helicopter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

He feels like doing this teaches Phillipe a lesson, and will help him grow.

Which reiterates that Ray is a pretty lovely friend. It's in-character.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saoshyant posted:

Which reiterates that Ray is a pretty lovely friend. It's in-character.

Ray is good some times, and not-good other times.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

this is literally why the comic is good, most of the characters are complicated people that have contradictory traits. Teodor is the most responsible parent while also a slacker, roast beef is the most damaged but has selfish tendencies, etc.

Ray is a good friend, but he is aloof and will do poo poo without realizing its consequences.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pat is an rear end in a top hat but at the same time, kind of a dick.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Ray felt pretty bad about competing with Phillipe, but Phillipe still 'won', so I don't see the problem really.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pat is an rear end in a top hat but at the same time, kind of a dick.

Pat is a taint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm kinda sad we never got to see Pat as a kid with Ray and Beef.