Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

Whenever you deliver goods manually or craft something manually, good chance you're doing it wrong and should be working on complicating your setup. Also, many people here seem intent on to institute ORDNUNG UND SAUBERKEIT to a degree that weirds even me as a german out. If you want the organic fuckery from the trailer, just do your thing and automate all the things and never tear anything down. It becomes pretty glorious quickly.

And if you want an extra-hosed factory setup, make a new map with peaceful biters, but all biter settings on maximum and terrain fragmentation set to high. That way you'll have to build around hordes of biters and biter buildings, while any mis-step to hurt them will utterly gently caress you up.

Screw this! I'm going to build and research my way to the rocket depot manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Well, a stone age completion run without assemblers would be novel, if nothing else.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

zedprime posted:

Doing more complicated than the smartchest-smart inserter loop and you need a grasp on algorithmic math which is better taught in other circumstances. Including games if you're into that. Its also, as mentioned, completely superfluous.

I still honestly havent touched on half the dynamics of the game yet and just finished automating research potions 3 last night.. now id prefer to do it like all efficient like

I also like super math as well so i might try my hand at some sicknasty logic thingies once i play with all the components a bit more

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

zedprime posted:

That's probably the only useful use of circuits before you get the logistic network going, if you want to keep stocks of things that are less than 1 slot. If your stock is in multiples of slots, don't forget about slot restrictions in chests.

I'm playing on Bob's mod, so by the time i get to smart chests, i have already played three vanillas games.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Node posted:

Screw this! I'm going to build and research my way to the rocket depot manually.

Please don't you'll make me sad :ohdear:

Real talk, there's a lot of things your can't craft by hand, like engines.

Pull-based automation is a neat idea that you could approximate to some degree by pulling components for one assembler's product directly from the assemblers that make them. No bus, no intermediary storage, just directly pull from one assembler into another.

Or just give in to the beautiful world of belts and buses!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Solumin posted:

Pull-based automation is a neat idea that you could approximate to some degree by pulling components for one assembler's product directly from the assemblers that make them. No bus, no intermediary storage, just directly pull from one assembler into another.

I was kidding, it looks like it would take longer than a human lifetime to construct everything you need.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
gently caress buses, if you don't have weird poo poo like the giraffe nerve going on, you're taking the game way too serious. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

But you could end up with WIP in the assemblers! That is not tidy! :spergin:

Using chest limiters or circuit/logistic conditions to create a finite pull at the end is as much pull as you ever need because plates and circuits sitting on the belt is a pittance of extra pollution for the convenience factor, and as you say more complicated constructions shuffle materials from assembler to assembler. If I knew anything about scripting and thought it'd be balance-able in some way, figuring out a punishment for WIP would be an interesting experience compared to the buses of popularity.

Even without that, a made to order robot system seems like it'd be fun to make. Just setting up robot makers to dump everything into roboports is good enough since you can limit or debottleneck the rate as you choose from some of the slow steps, and who doesn't want extra robots? But imagine if you had a highly parallelized robot maker line with logic set up that let you order 500 robots at a time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

gently caress buses, if you don't have weird poo poo like the giraffe nerve going on, you're taking the game way too serious. :v:

But they're so neat and orderly and you get an IRON PLATE SUPERHIGHWAY!

Node posted:

I was kidding, it looks like it would take longer than a human lifetime to construct everything you need.

I usually end up hand-crafting half the stuff I need anyway, it's a bad habit. Like I'll only set up factories for science packs and solar panels + accumulators, and then wonder what else do people automate?? And then I end up abandoning that save because this factory, it is not good enough!
(Things to automate: Iron gear wheel factory for personal use. Yellow, red and blue belts and splitters. Engines and robots. Modules. I usually play on peaceful, so I don't have to worry about walls, turrets or ammo until late game. Furnaces. Inserters of all kinds...)

zedprime posted:

But you could end up with WIP in the assemblers! That is not tidy! :spergin:

Using chest limiters or circuit/logistic conditions to create a finite pull at the end is as much pull as you ever need because plates and circuits sitting on the belt is a pittance of extra pollution for the convenience factor, and as you say more complicated constructions shuffle materials from assembler to assembler. If I knew anything about scripting and thought it'd be balance-able in some way, figuring out a punishment for WIP would be an interesting experience compared to the buses of popularity.

Even without that, a made to order robot system seems like it'd be fun to make. Just setting up robot makers to dump everything into roboports is good enough since you can limit or debottleneck the rate as you choose from some of the slow steps, and who doesn't want extra robots? But imagine if you had a highly parallelized robot maker line with logic set up that let you order 500 robots at a time.

Achieving one logistics robot per second isn't even that hard -- it's a bit bulky, but everything besides advanced circuits and electrical engines is basic components.

I'm not sure what you mean about WIP. There's nothing wrong with having stuff lying around!
One option to punish buses would be "Biter infiltrators" or "Biter sappers", who sneak into your base and nibble on anything lying around on the ground. That isn't entirely easy to implement, since buses don't actually carry physical items. Plus you'd have to add something else in order to protect against them, if you allow them to sneak past turrets and walls...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't get the people who want to make biters even more challenging. I feel like right now they're fine as they are. Having biters that come in solely to inconvenience you in lovely ways (like eating up metal plates or other objects on the ground) is just awful and I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be to have one slowly devour my conveyor belt system. I guess if it's a toggleable option before you start a game though, everyone can get biters the way they want.

I automate all the inserts, gears, belts etc etc the only thing I make by hand are underground belts and splitters.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Loopoo posted:

I automate all the inserts, gears, belts etc etc the only thing I make by hand are underground belts and splitters.

Automate everything that you'll ever make more than 20 of. The only thing I never automate is Labs. (And burner things and equipment I guess [though batteries/shields should be automated too!])

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

Automate everything that you'll ever make more than 20 of. The only thing I never automate is Labs. (And burner things and equipment I guess [though batteries/shields should be automated too!])

This 100%, automate all the things! When you get logistics, replace the chests with providers and your robot workforce has access to everything needed to build all your blueprints.

zedprime posted:

That's all in the base game if I'm reading you right. Connect a smart chest and a smart inserter by circuit wire. Set inserter to pull when item < N. No mod, no decider.

That's probably the only useful use of circuits before you get the logistic network going, if you want to keep stocks of things that are less than 1 slot. If your stock is in multiples of slots, don't forget about slot restrictions in chests.

I too have dreamed of a smart pull/made-to-order manufacturing line because the push manufacturing from a bus is totally wrong. But its not actually wrong because there's very little punishment for work in progress as long as you set up inventory control on your most expensive items.

0.13 will make doing this easy because they're adding switches. So build all the precursors and when all the signals add up correctly, activate the switch which powers the factory block until the desired output count is met and it switches the power back off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ratzap posted:

This 100%, automate all the things! When you get logistics, replace the chests with providers and your robot workforce has access to everything needed to build all your blueprints.

0.13 will make doing this easy because they're adding switches. So build all the precursors and when all the signals add up correctly, activate the switch which powers the factory block until the desired output count is met and it switches the power back off.

wooooo

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Pretty sure the only way to play this game correctly is with breakfast machine on repeat

This is incorrect:

http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TRQPLGL143F0B78EEB

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Wooo indeed, switches will open up whole new areas of sperginess ;) For example, someone will no doubt create a photo sensor to tell if it's day or night (or jury rig one by checking if accumulators are draining - but that's not as reliable since lasers firing could set it off) and use that to switch entire chunks of your factory off during night time to save energy. Or set up the blocks of the factory which don't make things constantly with switches, when none of it is currently working, turn it all off and save the drain (all things have a standing electric drain when they're not doing anything, it all adds up). Set up your backup power to measure accumulator state, if it drops below X MJ fire up the generators and top them off. Switches are going to be great.

In my ROS game I opened a 7th oil field which has temporarily solved the oil problem. They're so far away they're 5-600% patches and I have 20k crude stored now. I also expanded the coal to oil products area which is helping too. I thought 'great, I get to actually do something about the factory' then noticed YARM showing zero mining rates in my resource areas. Some of them just need miners moving, others are depleted so I have to go set up more. ROS feels more like resource quest than anything to do with building a factory at the moment.

I have to zoom out so far to fit everything in that the names disappear. Trains take so long to the outer fields that I've had to put in extra ones to keep a steady flow. And yes, I do not like diagonal tracks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Straight tracks look nicer, but imo it isn't worth the aesthetic value if it almost doubles the train journey time. I'd rather just put in diagonal tracks to speed up rail travel and not need to spam my railway network with trains just to keep flow up. Awesome base though. Is that big blue rectangular looking thing your solar / accu array?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Wooo indeed, switches will open up whole new areas of sperginess ;) For example, someone will no doubt create a photo sensor to tell if it's day or night (or jury rig one by checking if accumulators are draining - but that's not as reliable since lasers firing could set it off)

You might be able to use a lamp for this, but I'm not sure. Or just using a single solar panel, or a solar panel -> accumulator, that's not part of your regular network could probably work. (You would need something to drain on the accumulator, I believe -- maybe a lamp or two?)

Personally, I'm waiting for the new track laying stuff before trying out trains in earnest. Having 2 types of rails is annoying and weird.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

Achieving one logistics robot per second isn't even that hard -- it's a bit bulky, but everything besides advanced circuits and electrical engines is basic components.

I'm not sure what you mean about WIP. There's nothing wrong with having stuff lying around!

Ratzap posted:

Very sane responses. But I'm talking insane here. Its not about the speed of robots. Its about making robots with nothing left on the belts or in assemblers afterward. Turning off the base power draw is awesome, but leaves WIP in assemblers. Kill all WIP.

Welcome to the Clean Plate Club (full album)

Nothing on the belts. Nothing in the assemblers. It only chews through the exact number of components as you tell it to at any given moment.

The cornerstone is this mess of spaghetti wires. It picks the right amount when told by the central controller, then the central controller ticks down and it sends everything into the live system.

With a blueprint it isn't 100% crazy to create production lines this way, only 99%. Red and green wires and chest circuit "switches" are a loving shitshow for trying to program logic. Those chest circuit switches end up being a nightmare because the marker item in transit takes real time for the state to change that caused troubleshooting woe. I can't even tell you if half those wires are even necessary, but it all works and I've managed to avoid crosstalk by no doubt luck. Its kind of hypnotizing to watch work in a way that your first bus was so many gameplay hours ago.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

zedprime posted:

Very sane responses. But I'm talking insane here. Its not about the speed of robots. Its about making robots with nothing left on the belts or in assemblers afterward. Turning off the base power draw is awesome, but leaves WIP in assemblers. Kill all WIP.

Nothing on the belts. Nothing in the assemblers. It only chews through the exact number of components as you tell it to at any given moment.

The cornerstone is this mess of spaghetti wires. It picks the right amount when told by the central controller, then the central controller ticks down and it sends everything into the live system.

With a blueprint it isn't 100% crazy to create production lines this way, only 99%. Red and green wires and chest circuit "switches" are a loving shitshow for trying to program logic. Those chest circuit switches end up being a nightmare because the marker item in transit takes real time for the state to change that caused troubleshooting woe. I can't even tell you if half those wires are even necessary, but it all works and I've managed to avoid crosstalk by no doubt luck. Its kind of hypnotizing to watch work in a way that your first bus was so many gameplay hours ago.

I like your flavor of crazy.

is there a limit as to the max distance for circuit wires?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SneakyFrog posted:

They travel along power poles if you want to hook things up long distance. Red and Green are essentially two channels, and you broadcast and receive through the entire channel through anything attached, which is why I talk about lucking out of crosstalk by fidgeting around and luck.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

SneakyFrog posted:

Yes, but you can tide it to an electric pole and make it run through many poles. Therefore it's possibly infinite.

Zedprime good job with the requester/production of the clean belts project. How do you send the "request signal"?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RattiRatto posted:

Yes, but you can tide it to an electric pole and make it run through many poles. Therefore it's possibly infinite.

Zedprime good job with the requester/production of the clean belts project. How do you send the "request signal"?
There's a little more specification in the Imgur album if you haven't looked, but the circuit system is so janky its hard to describe very well.

But a request signal is as simple as >0 in the counter chest. You load up the counter chest with your inserter stack tech times the quantity you want, as long as its got something in it it says hey get going.

I run it through a decider to pare it down to 1 and run it through an adder that sums it up with anything in inventory so it only starts picking cycles when it the master signal is on and it has nothing in the picker or inventory chests. When it finishes a cycle, the same signal dumps everything out as does increment the counter chest down so by the time it tries to start a new cycle, the master signal might be off if its finished.

e. I could probably specify the mess in functional block form if there was interest

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Straight tracks look nicer, but imo it isn't worth the aesthetic value if it almost doubles the train journey time. I'd rather just put in diagonal tracks to speed up rail travel and not need to spam my railway network with trains just to keep flow up. Awesome base though. Is that big blue rectangular looking thing your solar / accu array?

It also makes it easier to lay tracks and put in junctions. I only need 3 blueprints - straight track, T junction and 4 way full intersection. I don't need to worry about joining diagonals to straights. Yes, that's 100MW (currently) and 5.4GJ of solar/accumulator. I'm not adding any more for a while now because all my production goes into science. On a whim I added the science cost tweaker mod to that save when I made it without the penny dropping that 4 to 9x the cost and time of research on top of a resource poor map might be a little bit awkward. Once I only have purple science topics left I'll tear the whole mess down, scale it up and start again. At which point I can spare production for other things.

zedprime posted:

I like this. Given that Factorio is supposed to be Turing complete, I'm surprised there aren't more weird control circuits around.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

:eyepop:

I desperately need a video of this, please!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If what Youtube is telling me is right, several hours from now this might be stuttery mess with warped audio because I don't actually know anything about video capture and I don't have a ShadowPlay graphics card, but it will show the basic idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY6zsz8Okt0

e. Videos out of the oven, get it whiles it hot.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 24, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solumin posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for the new track laying stuff before trying out trains in earnest. Having 2 types of rails is annoying and weird.

If you plan on having one track, you're basically shooting yourself in the foot and killing off any potential at expanding your rail network without completely tearing whatever infrastructure you started with down and building from the ground up. Single track rail systems need tonnes of layby's and have slow throughput: trains always end up waiting politely for each other to pass and once you're needing deliveries from multiple outposts, it'll slow everything down to a trickle.

With two lines, you've got dedicated one-way tracks, so barely any waiting is needed since trains on the track will all be travelling in the same direction. I did the whole single track thing and then realised it was way too time-consuming doing all the layby's. Ended up tearing it all down in favour of 2 tracks. Life has become so much more simple.

Waiting for the new track system is a good idea, though FARL really has changed my view on it and I'm not even sure if I'll use the track laying system for anything other than making junctions. I reckon I'll just stick with FARL for the long stretches of rail laying.

PS: I am now a one-man army. I can wade into a huge biter nest and demolish them all. It feels great!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No I meant having straight rails and curved rails instead of just one kind of rail that can be shaped as you need it is really annoying and kills my interest in actually doing any rail stuff beyond the really basic things. Two tracks definitely makes sense, I wouldn't dream of doing one track unless I was just running one train between two stations. (Which is the extent of my experience with trains in factorio!)

Also version 0.12.29 is out. That's 3 patches in 4 days, for those of you keeping track at home. They're really cranking out the bug fixes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solumin posted:

No I meant having straight rails and curved rails instead of just one kind of rail that can be shaped as you need it is really annoying and kills my interest in actually doing any rail stuff beyond the really basic things. Two tracks definitely makes sense, I wouldn't dream of doing one track unless I was just running one train between two stations. (Which is the extent of my experience with trains in factorio!)

Also version 0.12.29 is out. That's 3 patches in 4 days, for those of you keeping track at home. They're really cranking out the bug fixes.

Oh shiiiit, they're gonna remove the two track pieces (curved and straight) and just make it one item that automatically configures itself to become straight or curved? That's amazing!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Here's the blog post describing the new rail building: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

And a few others on new train stuff:
http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-114
http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-126

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Stop describing it. I want it. I want that patch. Give me the patch.

This is like porn to me.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 23, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fans posted:

Stop describing it. I want it. I want that patch. Give me the patch.

<<Removed>>

This is like porn to me.

Agreed, it is such a good loving idea and it looks so cool and uuuuugh.

[Removed because VVV instead see 3rd image of http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113]

:sbahj:

Solumin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 23, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You should really not hotlink those, their latest blog post is about how those gifs caused them huge data overages with their hosting providers, besides hotlinking being against the rules in general.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I did not know that! Lesson learned then, I've quickly re-hosted it.

Still sexy.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 23, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Could they not release the train track mechanic now? It seems like it's finished! I'd rather not wait for 0.13 for it to get released.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on it, they've been pretty solid so far when it comes to updates.

Still want it though. This game becomes the official replacement for OpenTTD when it releases.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speaking of music to play during Factorio...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9CCvTHvpM

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

I like this. Given that Factorio is supposed to be Turing complete, I'm surprised there aren't more weird control circuits around.
I imagine the draw just isn't there. Gameplay wise, a bus really is the correct answer, and where the simple implementation fails there's load balancing by belt design to do to fix it. The average person could probably benefit from a little interwoven inventory control, I know I could. But you can also just make more forges and oil refineries until you don't need to worry about robbing batteries from the laser turrets and accumulators to feed blue science and ending up eaten by biters.

Meanwhile its not an incredibly attractive tool on the theoretical side. It lacks the immediate recognition of Minecraft's circuit board like constructs, and logical constructs are kind of a mess, assuming I'm not missing any big ahas people have found out, which is possible cause I just hacked the picker out of first principles.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm so stupid, god drat. No wonder outposts are a pain in my rear end, I don't blueprint ANYTHING. Super fast outpost building is now a-go, thanks to me blueprinting a wall segment with spaced turrets / powerlines between them. I just wham down the blueprint however large I want, and then build inside the outpost. Outpost building: super simple stuff.

My one iron mine isn't producing enough ore to give my trains the amount of ore they need to fill all the chests in my base, so iron production is taking a hit. I'm going to have 3 separate iron outposts with one train doing a massive run between the three, in the hopes it comes back fully loaded every time.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Super fast outpost building is now a-go, thanks to me blueprinting a wall segment with spaced turrets / powerlines between them. I just wham down the blueprint however large I want, and then build inside the outpost.

That's a good idea. I also don't use blueprints enough, I have one that's just a big square o concrete, and one for a very simple robotic-fed dual assembler combo. Most stuff I always just custom plant every time, I should really get that blueprint saving thing and make an actual decent science layout instead of cooking up some new bullshit everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Indecisive posted:

That's a good idea. I also don't use blueprints enough, I have one that's just a big square o concrete, and one for a very simple robotic-fed dual assembler combo. Most stuff I always just custom plant every time, I should really get that blueprint saving thing and make an actual decent science layout instead of cooking up some new bullshit everytime

Yeah the main reason I've never heavily used blueprints is due to the fact they're not transferred across saves or uploaded to your account so you can use them whenever. I only ever use blueprints for mundane stuff like walls, concrete, railway lines etc. I've never spent a good 20 minutes designing a super efficient assembly line and then blueprinting it for later use.

I think downloading the foreman mod would remedy that.

Also, this game, I can't get enough of it. I've always got something to do, and never enough time to do it. So I'll start redesigning my assembly to bolster production, but then notice I'm running low on ore, so I'll trek out into the wilderness and set up and outpost. When that's done, I'll head back to base to finish the assembly redesign, only to notice something else that's inefficient and have a go at correcting that instead. It's great fun. Wish I had a good friend to coop with, but none of my friends are interested in this game.

They call it Autism Simulator :(