Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't love the keyboard, but found I could still type fast on it on a quick check.

As someone who usually doesn't have tons of hardware hanging off my laptop and likes travelling, I dig that machine. But I use Lightroom enough on my Air (which is a struggle with 24mp raws, especially when combining exposures or images) that I know it's not for me, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jealous Cow posted:

I think the screen has one stuck pixel near the middle toward the bottom but I can't find it anymore.

I'd buy if you decide you want to upgrade

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm not sure if I buy the premise that Apple is waiting until June-July for an upgrade. Skylake has been out for months and Apple always gets the newest chips first.

Maybe they'll leapfrog to Kaby Lake?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

As for the keyboard, I don't like it, but I believe you that I'd get used to it.
Keyboards are one of those items where everyone has a preference, so anyone's "opinion" is anecdotal at best. Having used the rMB as a portable ultra weight for work meetings, I still much prefer my 2015's rMBP keyboard to the rMB's. I even prefer my work's Dell M4800's keyboard and holy hell is that annoying to lug around, but I also am sure there are just as many who prefer the rMB's to everything.

Nothing still beats a nice mechanical keyboard though for work productivity, silence be damned!

Edit:

Cingulate posted:

All the comments are just: I don't want thin, I want ports and performance.

I bet none were typed on a blackberry or an Alienware desktop replacement though.

Having an additional USB-C port isn't going to ruin the laptop.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not sure if I buy the premise that Apple is waiting until June-July for an upgrade. Skylake has been out for months and Apple always gets the newest chips first.

I'm can't find the source article, but Apple usually has two models of a product on the go at any given time. A "conservative" version, which in this case would probably just be Skylake in the same MBP chassis and a more ambitious version. When Apple is coming up to when they want to release they decide which one is ready and spin up manufacturing. I'd speculate that they made the decision to wait till WWDC to get the lead time on producing the more ambitious model, and that it was done somewhat at the last minute, which is why everyone saw oddly great discounts on current models that evaporated after the event.

Then again I'm just speculating the poo poo out of this and Apple's secrecy and planning is some next level poo poo so maybe we'll see a quiet release of new MacBooks next week.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

If Kaby Lake follows the previous rollouts there'll only be the low powered stuff available in that timeframe, but hell who knows, Intel's roadmap seems like it changes around every few months.

I'd hope it's for new discrete GPUs, but with a thinner enclosure and Intel's IGPs improving, it could go either way there too. Maybe waiting for 10.12 announcement with external GPU support :downs:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

japtor posted:

If Kaby Lake follows the previous rollouts there'll only be the low powered stuff available in that timeframe, but hell who knows, Intel's roadmap seems like it changes around every few months.

I'd hope it's for new discrete GPUs, but with a thinner enclosure and Intel's IGPs improving, it could go either way there too. Maybe waiting for 10.12 announcement with external GPU support :downs:

eGPU support is gonna change everything.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

skylake with mediocre graphics has been out for months

skylakes with the better iris 580 just came out http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88392/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Mobile
the skull canyon nuc is the first computer the iris 580 and will ship in may afaik

so a macbook refresh in June is pretty reasonable

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KingEup posted:

eGPU support is gonna change everything.

I'll believe it when I see it.

More specifically, given Apples disdain for anything that requires serious GPU horsepower, I'll believe it when I see Apple actually bother to support it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

More specifically, given Apples disdain for anything that requires serious GPU horsepower, I'll believe it when I see Apple actually bother to support it.

Apple has made an art form out of the non-upgradability of their systems. It's not that they hate GPUs, but if they sold you an iMac with an nVidia 990ZOMG UTLIMATE XXXXTREME edition in your MBP or whatever, you wouldn't upgrade on their next release. (This is why I eye-roll every time they talk about their environmental impact: When I replaced my Mini, it got chucked into the trash wholesale because it wasn't upgradable in any way and the 1.4Ghz I was talked i'm cheap into buying was useless.) I mean, when they were clearing their back stock, I bought a loaded 2013 iMac for a significant discount and unless they cram a Xeon into the new kit, I won't have any jealousy issues with the Fall 2016/Fall 2017 iMac updates. Intel has nothing fancy on their current time line - certainly no reason that I would have an impetus to upgrade.

If you look at it that way, then using the TB2/3 to allow for upgrades would mean that you'd buy that upgrade a year into their release cycle and see no need to upgrade the following year because the new processor and RAM is all-but identical to your current processor and RAM. This is the same reason no one upgrades their computers on the PC side. You have a Core 2 Duo or newer? You are set until the dust bunnies breed into an actual fire. Windows8 and Windows 10 use less resources than Windows 7, which used less resources than Vista. The software is actually getting faster simply because you can't count on speedier and beefier machines in a constant upgrade cycle.

Really, the only people salivating over the upgrades are those that need the fringe use cases. Longer battery life or faster transfers for their video equipment, and so forth.

The only way I could see Apple allowing external upgrades is if they can somehow lock the system to only accept Apple-branded/Apple-partnered upgrades, and I'm skeptical that such a system wouldn't be broken within a month or so of release.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The reduced price Watches are still the same hardware, correct? Can we anticipate an upgrade at WWDC?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Picked up a 13" MBP for my wife, can't keep waiting for Apple to get their poo poo together, and I certainly don't want to be forced into a Rev1 of a new design . It's a shame it has a terrible graphics card, but what can you do.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

The reduced price Watches are still the same hardware, correct? Can we anticipate an upgrade at WWDC?
If the new hardware has new features (software or otherwise) that need to be taken advantage of with lead time for World Wide Developers Conference, expect announcement then with release following in the fall with feature fit & finish.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I wanted to buy a Watch on a whim just to play with it and see if I like it, but it's still 399 CAD for the cheapest one, which is really too much for a toy. Apple could really do well if they were to say "eh, gently caress it, we don't need the margins that badly" and just priced it way lower. They have the bargaining power and supply chain to do it. 399 CAD, while affordable for the enthusiast, still puts it outside of "gently caress it, why not" territory for the everyman. And I am not a wearables enthusiast ... so, sorry, Apple.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsten posted:

Apple has made an art form out of the non-upgradability of their systems. It's not that they hate GPUs, but if they sold you an iMac with an nVidia 990ZOMG UTLIMATE XXXXTREME edition in your MBP or whatever, you wouldn't upgrade on their next release.

Or more likely, the general Mac user would not value it over higher battery life and the like.

Pivo posted:

I wanted to buy a Watch on a whim just to play with it and see if I like it, but it's still 399 CAD for the cheapest one, which is really too much for a toy. Apple could really do well if they were to say "eh, gently caress it, we don't need the margins that badly" and just priced it way lower. They have the bargaining power and supply chain to do it. 399 CAD, while affordable for the enthusiast, still puts it outside of "gently caress it, why not" territory for the everyman. And I am not a wearables enthusiast ... so, sorry, Apple.

In fairness the Canadian Dollar has done weird stuff lately. I remember Apple stopped selling iPhones in Russia for a while after the ruble meltdown (though that's significantly worse than Canada).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

We have no refresh history to work off of with the Apple Watch and it's an entirely new product line so we can only infer so much from their other schedules. Basically no one has any idea.

Also this isn't the Watch thread.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Quick Airport networking question. I currently have my cable modem attached to a 5th generation AirPort Extreme (last of the flat square ones), which in turn is attached to two additional 5th generation extremes. I just picked up the new 6th generation extreme. Is there any benefit to swapping it with the 5th gen that attaches directly to the cable modem, outside of whether or not it provides the best wireless coverage in that location?

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

japtor posted:

Maybe waiting for 10.12 announcement with external GPU support :downs:

If apple does end up adding Thunderbolt 3, then you will definitely be able to use eGPUs like the Razer Core (or that one MSI is making). Only question is if the GPU manufacturers will bother to write mac os drivers

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Or more likely, the general Mac user would not value it over higher battery life and the like.

I obviously did a terribad job of explaining what I meant. :( That was only an example for illustration of the progression of upgrades and simply extended another posters' point on GPUs.

If you have Mac A and the new release is Mac B, if you stick a 750 into the Mac A and then an 850 into the Mac B, you have more powerful hardware in the second release. If you put a 790 into Mac A and top out at an 870 (for whatever reason) you prohibit a group of people from upgrading to that generation.

To look at it in real world terms, see how much teeth gnashing there has been over the 2014 Mac Minis vs the 2012s, not just in terms of upgradability but also in terms of what you can actually buy in the Mini package. You could get a dual-drive setup in the 2012 and a QC i7. You max out in the 2014 with a single hybrid drive and a DC i7 that has a lower clock.

And the Mini really didn't need a power consumption break (also, it has no battery life to extend). The 2012s sipped power. Now the 2014s sip slightly less power. But, it made it a worse product for a lot of people. Sure, some of them moved to iMacs (A win for Apple) but I know that all of the new, refurbished, and 3rd party refurbished 2012s in my area were gone within 30 days of the 2014 spec announcement. That tells me that a lot of people entrenched in what they had and are waiting to upgrade (and perhaps bought a spare to CTA).

So, let's say that they bring out a 2016 Mini that is what every Mini lover wants in every conceivable way. Apple will instantly break any and all pent up demand and have a stellar year -- at the expense of the next few years because once they have a 2012 (or new 2016 ultra bling bling) they have absolutely no reason to upgrade for at least five years. So Apple plays the long game: Limit upgradability and get people used to consuming complete replacements on a cycle.

That brings me to my point: Introducing something like an external GPU (or even, as I've seen wide-eyed people gab about, TB3 external CPUs) would extend that already-business-stunting 5-year upgrade cycle potential because the GPU is the place you will Feel the Bern first as your system ages or as you branch out into things like hobbyist video encoding. Apple wants you to go "Huh. It takes me days to encode this home made video on my 2016 Mac Mini. I'm going to pick up a 2019 iMac for $1,500." and not "Huh. It takes me days to encode this home made video on my 2016 Mac Mini. I think I'll pick up a $250 external video card made by Belkin."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arsten posted:

(This is why I eye-roll every time they talk about their environmental impact: When I replaced my Mini, it got chucked into the trash wholesale because it wasn't upgradable in any way and the 1.4Ghz I was talked i'm cheap into buying was useless.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having a cynical laugh at all that enviro bullshit in Monday's thing. Yeah, great. You're more than happy to let me give you back the phone I paid $700 for three years ago so I can feel better about all the rare earth minerals you cram into these things. Your environmental conscious sure as poo poo won't keep you from trying to obsolete the hardware you sold me so I can upgrade, will it? I wonder what the carbon footprint of buying a new phone every two years is, even after factoring in recycling?

They're a business, frankly I expect them to push devices even if it's not the most environmentally friendly thing in the world. Acting like they're saving the world by recycling old phones and planting some trees on a roof or whatever was just silly, though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having a cynical laugh at all that enviro bullshit in Monday's thing. Yeah, great. You're more than happy to let me give you back the phone I paid $700 for three years ago so I can feel better about all the rare earth minerals you cram into these things. Your environmental conscious sure as poo poo won't keep you from trying to obsolete the hardware you sold me so I can upgrade, will it? I wonder what the carbon footprint of buying a new phone every two years is, even after factoring in recycling?

They're a business, frankly I expect them to push devices even if it's not the most environmentally friendly thing in the world. Acting like they're saving the world by recycling old phones and planting some trees on a roof or whatever was just silly, though.

Any company that calls themselves "Green" or "Environmentally friendly" just makes me think it's another company on the "hip" branding trend. They never do anything they wouldn't have done anyway to drive costs down, but now they put spin on it. E.g. "We put idle limiters on our fleet of delivery trucks to help the environment!" when in reality the company did it so that they would burn a lot less diesel fuel. They would have done it even if there was no such thing as an environment to care about because diesel is expensive to waste.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're trying to make up for the nuclear plants they had to build to power all the G5's

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsten posted:

So, let's say that they bring out a 2016 Mini that is what every Mini lover wants in every conceivable way. Apple will instantly break any and all pent up demand and have a stellar year -- at the expense of the next few years because once they have a 2012 (or new 2016 ultra bling bling) they have absolutely no reason to upgrade for at least five years. So Apple plays the long game: Limit upgradability and get people used to consuming complete replacements on a cycle.

Do you have evidence that people actually upgrade every year? Even the anecdotes on this forum suggest that predominantly people keep their computers for a set cycle (say 3-5 years) before upgrading.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

computer parts posted:

Do you have evidence that people actually upgrade every year? Even the anecdotes on this forum suggest that predominantly people keep their computers for a set cycle (say 3-5 years) before upgrading.

I did from 2010 to 2014

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I used to craigslist shuffle every two years while the computer still had AppleCare. Now, this 2012 non-Retina 15" MBP is still so good I have no desire to upgrade until Apple actually gives me a good reason to.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Arsten posted:

Apple will instantly break any and all pent up demand and have a stellar year -- at the expense of the next few years because once they have a 2012 (or new 2016 ultra bling bling) they have absolutely no reason to upgrade for at least five years. So Apple plays the long game: Limit upgradability and get people used to consuming complete replacements on a cycle.

That brings me to my point: Introducing something like an external GPU (or even, as I've seen wide-eyed people gab about, TB3 external CPUs) would extend that already-business-stunting 5-year upgrade cycle potential because the GPU is the place you will Feel the Bern first as your system ages or as you branch out into things like hobbyist video encoding. Apple wants you to go "Huh. It takes me days to encode this home made video on my 2016 Mac Mini. I'm going to pick up a 2019 iMac for $1,500." and not "Huh. It takes me days to encode this home made video on my 2016 Mac Mini. I think I'll pick up a $250 external video card made by Belkin."

computer parts posted:

:what:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Socko posted:

Quick Airport networking question. I currently have my cable modem attached to a 5th generation AirPort Extreme (last of the flat square ones), which in turn is attached to two additional 5th generation extremes. I just picked up the new 6th generation extreme. Is there any benefit to swapping it with the 5th gen that attaches directly to the cable modem, outside of whether or not it provides the best wireless coverage in that location?

Probably not any human tangible benefit; the routing hardware is arguably better on the AEBS 802.11ac, the RAM is definitely larger / better (512 MiB RAM vs 128 MiB RAM.)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pivo posted:

Since I know you live in Toronto, you can check out the Best Buy at Bay & Dundas and see if they have any open-box watches. I picked mine up for ~$340 there a few weeks ago. Still pricey for a "play with it and see if I like it" toy, but I've had no problems with mine. Original packaging and all.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

Since I know you live in Toronto, you can check out the Best Buy at Bay & Dundas and see if they have any open-box watches. I picked mine up for ~$340 there a few weeks ago. Still pricey for a "play with it and see if I like it" toy, but I've had no problems with mine. Original packaging and all.

Yeah, gently caress it, whatever, let's do it. Do I need to wear pants to Best Buy? I'm really not a big fan of pants.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Probably not any human tangible benefit; the routing hardware is arguably better on the AEBS 802.11ac, the RAM is definitely larger / better (512 MiB RAM vs 128 MiB RAM.)
Thanks! Just wanted to be sure.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

They didn't have any. He checked stock all over the city and they didn't have any. They had ones online but they were $399, which is Apple's price. He was like, "they could give you a 10% discount...".

Psh. If I wanted to pay full price I'd just go to the Apple Store. No Watch for me. Oh well.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
^^^ Ah drat, sorry to hear. I guess it depends on how many people return their watches or w/e. I must have gotten lucky.

Pivo posted:

Yeah, gently caress it, whatever, let's do it. Do I need to wear pants to Best Buy? I'm really not a big fan of pants.

after I bought my MBP from there I realized my fly was down, i think you'll be OK. Say hi to the crazy jesus dude at Yonge and Dundas. Also if you see me there please don't say hi since I'm going to be there this aft looking for a case for my MBP :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh wait, your argument is even dumber than I thought, my mistake.

People are already used to buying a complete replacement every cycle, even Windows users. :ssh:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2016

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
So I've been using my rMBP for a couple of days now and it's pretty amazing, one of the things I love most about it is leaving the charger at home and using it literally my entire workday and not running out of juice. Of course, I'd like to keep it this way. I was wondering, when I'm not away from home, which is best: leave it plugged in as much as possible or cycle between drain > charge > drain > charge? The apple.com batteries page is very uninformative.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I leave it plugged in at home, this page http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/ seems to indicate that lighter use of the battery makes it last longer, and charge cycles can last days. It's supposed to last something like 1000 cycles.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Well then, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mostly use my laptop at home, but I've got almost 500 cycles in five months. It's claiming to get under three hours on a 80% charge, now.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 24, 2016

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

ethanol posted:

I leave it plugged in at home, this page http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/ seems to indicate that lighter use of the battery makes it last longer, and charge cycles can last days. It's supposed to last something like 1000 cycles.

Hm. For me it says it's completed 3 cycles, which is about right considering I've been using it for two full work days and at home. Does that mean I should bring my charger to school and charge it when I'm near an outlet, if I want to keep this battery healthy for over three years? Guess I'll buy another charger to go in my bag considering the one I use at home is mostly behind/inside my desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I Am Crake posted:

Hm. For me it says it's completed 3 cycles, which is about right considering I've been using it for two full work days and at home. Does that mean I should bring my charger to school and charge it when I'm near an outlet, if I want to keep this battery healthy for over three years?

If you can, change it, if you can't, use the battery. Don't worry about it too much, just don't regularly take it under 10% or go three months without unplugging it for a day

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Sinestro posted:

Well then, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mostly use my laptop at home, but I've got almost 500 cycles in five months.

Uh, it's literally impossible to go through 3.33 cycles per day so you should go take that into the Apple Store. Something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sinestro posted:

Well then, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mostly use my laptop at home, but I've got almost 500 cycles in five months.

that seems like a lot. my rmbp is approaching 7 months and I have used 91 cycles