Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually if you're overclocking you're not getting much performance by upgrading. Sandy Bridge has rather low stock clock speeds compared to the later chips, but clock-for-clock Skylake is only 10-20% faster than Sandy Bridge.

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to jump to at least a 5820K. Microcenter has them for $300. Either Haswell-E or Skylake will need DDR4, if you want to re-use your memory the latest generation you can use will be Haswell.

Well that was mostly based on AVeryLargeRadish's comment that boards for the 2500k aren't as readily available now. I love the 2500k. I don't OC at all, never really have because I've never felt I need it but I meant more that if the mobo is the problem here and I need to replace it, then I won't be able to use the 2500k on a new board so I'd need a new CPU... at that point I've basically replaced the core of the machine so it follows that I'd probably just replace the RAM and PSU as well to bring it up to scratch.

Unless I misunderstood what was meant by "scarce" but I took it to mean that they're just not in production now because it was nearly 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sundowner posted:

Unless I misunderstood what was meant by "scarce" but I took it to mean that they're just not in production now because it was nearly 5 years ago.
You are correct. You'll end up paying about as much for a used 1155 board as you would a new 1150 or used 2011 one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sundowner posted:

Haha at this point it seems like a more sensible option would be to just build a new computer almost entirely, which I'm not against doing. I mean, I built this one in 2011 so it's probably worthy of an upgrade but it just means waiting longer and in the meantime having to run this computer on an old GT 220 :v:

I really wish this would just work, it was very generous of Ozz to send me the 6970 now I feel like a jerk because it doesn't work.

Hey bud, no worries, sometimes stuff happens :shobon: I feel like a dummy too for not asking more about your PC before sending the card so I could look up potential problems ahead of time. PC hardware can be finicky, just the nature of the beast and nobody should feel bad, if nothing else it was good to see so many other people jumping in to offer suggestions and helping out :)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 21, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sundowner posted:

Well that was mostly based on AVeryLargeRadish's comment that boards for the 2500k aren't as readily available now. I love the 2500k. I don't OC at all, never really have because I've never felt I need it but I meant more that if the mobo is the problem here and I need to replace it, then I won't be able to use the 2500k on a new board so I'd need a new CPU... at that point I've basically replaced the core of the machine so it follows that I'd probably just replace the RAM and PSU as well to bring it up to scratch.

If you aren't overclocking you would see some decent performance gains from switching to a Skylake based system. If you just want a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and PSU you could get a decent setup for about £315:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.27 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£74.51 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£29.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.37 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £315.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 02:35 GMT+0000

Toss in a case and a decent video card:

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£29.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card (£115.04 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H24 ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.49 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.37 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £461.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 02:38 GMT+0000

That should give you an idea of what you are looking at spending for a new machine.

However, I was able to find a decent motherboard available in the UK for a reasonable price: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/173263/Asus-P8H67-M-LE-Version-3-Socket-LGA1155-Motherboard

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Should I be at all concerned that my MSI Z77A-GD65 is showing 8.2V on its +12V rail, possibly since I plugged in a Strix GTX 960? Or maybe it was since I just added a Xonar DX card that's been in storage for several years now? I don't even know if this is an accurate voltage reading that HWMonitor is pulling from my board.

Currently rocking from a Seasonic X750 Gold, which I got from NewEgg in 2012. It has been in semi-regular use ever since then. I hope it's not a failure already, since it was pretty expensive.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

td4guy posted:

Try overclocking or underclocking by 10 or 20MHz then.

Tried overclocking to no effect, not tried underclocking, will do and report back.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could possibly record the issue using my phone or a noise measuring app or something to just take what its doing to try and get an objective or knowledgeable opinion on the card?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

kuroshi posted:

Should I be at all concerned that my MSI Z77A-GD65 is showing 8.2V on its +12V rail, possibly since I plugged in a Strix GTX 960? Or maybe it was since I just added a Xonar DX card that's been in storage for several years now? I don't even know if this is an accurate voltage reading that HWMonitor is pulling from my board.

Currently rocking from a Seasonic X750 Gold, which I got from NewEgg in 2012. It has been in semi-regular use ever since then. I hope it's not a failure already, since it was pretty expensive.

Is that reading taken from the BIOS or from a hardware monitoring program? I would be surprised if it would even boot if the 12v rail was that undervolted.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you aren't overclocking you would see some decent performance gains from switching to a Skylake based system. If you just want a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and PSU you could get a decent setup for about £315:

Total: £315.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 02:35 GMT+0000

Toss in a case and a decent video card:

Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card (£115.04 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H24 ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £461.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 02:38 GMT+0000

That should give you an idea of what you are looking at spending for a new machine.

However, I was able to find a decent motherboard available in the UK for a reasonable price: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/173263/Asus-P8H67-M-LE-Version-3-Socket-LGA1155-Motherboard

Thanks for that! I'll keep a note of this. Hopefully soon I'll be able to start saving for a PC again.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Er did anybody else know that Intel had a 1.5 billion dollar 5 year agreement with nvidia? :lol: cause I didnt

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/intel-radeon-graphics-chipmaker-may-switch-from-nvidia-to-amd-1317364

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Is that reading taken from the BIOS or from a hardware monitoring program? I would be surprised if it would even boot if the 12v rail was that undervolted.

Hardware monitoring program. I'll have to reboot if I want to check what the BIOS says.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Er did anybody else know that Intel had a 1.5 billion dollar 5 year agreement with nvidia? :lol: cause I didnt

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/intel-radeon-graphics-chipmaker-may-switch-from-nvidia-to-amd-1317364

Yes, but it's only of note now because 1) Chipzilla moving makes mountains, 2) where AMD is as a whole in terms of financials, 3) What this would mean for AMD's financials overall, and 4) What it would do at the cost of Nvidia.

I'm thinking that Intel is doing this either to get on the AdaptiveSync train like they said they would (there was no way any of that was coming out before Ice Lake) or, and in my mind, much more likely, that they want in on the interposer model of shared memory/L3 cache, which is most certainly going to get much, much, much cheaper than putting tiny bits of eDRAM onto chips like how Intel has been doing for their Iris Pro graphics. (Something so exorbitantly expensive that really, only Intel could have gotten away with for as long as they have.)

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
So seeing as unfortunately the 6970 currently isn't compatible with my machine, I'm sort of back to square one with getting my PC working again... at first I was thinking of just getting a £100 MSI 750Ti from Amazon. It's not a huge upgrade over my 560 Ti but right now I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade, just to get my PC back to working so honestly if I could even find a 560 Ti I'd go for that as I'd know for sure it would work.

It seems like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA all offer comparable 750 Ti's for £100... if I could go for a straight upgrade I of course would but aside from the issue of my generally dated hardware, the real issue is I'm stuck for work right now so until I'm working again I'm saving pennies where I can so looking for the cheap option makes most sense to me. I could probably sell off some old console games I don't play and just keep an eye on eBay for something around the 560 Ti like a 480 or 650 and their ilk. At least that way I know for (almost) sure it will work.

A technical question I have though is the 750 Ti I believe is a PCI 3.0 card whereas I'm sure my board (P67a G45 B3) has PCI 2.0. Is PCI backwards compatible or am I hosed there too?

As I write I'm beginning to think seeking a used card circa 2011-2012 rather than any cheap modern option for maximum compatibility.

I don't want to keep having to dredge this up when with the help of many posters here we have exhausted possible solutions but I guess I just appreciate the guidance of more experienced folk.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sundowner posted:

So seeing as unfortunately the 6970 currently isn't compatible with my machine, I'm sort of back to square one with getting my PC working again... at first I was thinking of just getting a £100 MSI 750Ti from Amazon. It's not a huge upgrade over my 560 Ti but right now I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade, just to get my PC back to working so honestly if I could even find a 560 Ti I'd go for that as I'd know for sure it would work.

It seems like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA all offer comparable 750 Ti's for £100... if I could go for a straight upgrade I of course would but aside from the issue of my generally dated hardware, the real issue is I'm stuck for work right now so until I'm working again I'm saving pennies where I can so looking for the cheap option makes most sense to me. I could probably sell off some old console games I don't play and just keep an eye on eBay for something around the 560 Ti like a 480 or 650 and their ilk. At least that way I know for (almost) sure it will work.

A technical question I have though is the 750 Ti I believe is a PCI 3.0 card whereas I'm sure my board (P67a G45 B3) has PCI 2.0. Is PCI backwards compatible or am I hosed there too?

As I write I'm beginning to think seeking a used card circa 2011-2012 rather than any cheap modern option for maximum compatibility.

I don't want to keep having to dredge this up when with the help of many posters here we have exhausted possible solutions but I guess I just appreciate the guidance of more experienced folk.

PCI-e is backwards compatible so no worries there. For a new card I would recommend spending around £4 more and getting this R7 370, it's much faster than the 750 Ti and XFX makes decent cards.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

PCI-e is backwards compatible so no worries there. For a new card I would recommend spending around £4 more and getting this R7 370, it's much faster than the 750 Ti and XFX makes decent cards.

I wouldn't mind going that route, it's just that the card Ozz sent was AMD and it turned out incompatible so I was trying to err on the side of caution and stick around the 560 Ti sort of cards. I'd actually like to go AMD for a new build once I'm actually able.

I suppose with Amazon if the card doesn't work I could return it so there's that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sundowner posted:

I wouldn't mind going that route, it's just that the card Ozz sent was AMD and it turned out incompatible so I was trying to err on the side of caution and stick around the 560 Ti sort of cards. I'd actually like to go AMD for a new build once I'm actually able.

I suppose with Amazon if the card doesn't work I could return it so there's that.

I doubt that this issue has to do with whether the card is AMD or Nvidia.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That probably explains why Intel did absolutely nothing groundbreaking with Havok while they still owned them

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I doubt that this issue has to do with whether the card is AMD or Nvidia.

Yeah I doubt it too, I think my pov is just coloured by what happened. I just figure staying within range of the last card that worked would be a safe bet.

I don't know much about the major differences between AMD and Nvidia enough to say it, I was just going by personal experience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Norm from Tested plugs a card into the Razer Core, and some other questions are answered as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFRoWj0YOw
It's a pretty slick process and compared to a regular enterprise-level docks it's not that expensive when bought with their laptop, but still.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mobby_6kl posted:

Norm from Tested plugs a card into the Razer Core, and some other questions are answered as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFRoWj0YOw
It's a pretty slick process and compared to a regular enterprise-level docks it's not that expensive when bought with their laptop, but still.

I really love this idea and I hope it catches on enough to come down in price a bit. You could swap your single GPU between a desktop, a laptop, and an HTPC if you had one with the proper connectivity.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am extremely excited for the Core, I can't wait for benchmarks. Latency might be the biggest killer on that one (or the dual core processor/8GB of RAM in the Blade Stealth).

I mean, for 99% of people, an i7 HQ processor might be overkill, but I have a feeling for something that's an ultrabook in the streets and gaming rig in the sheets that it'll hit a bottleneck there.

I tested one out at the Microsoft store yesterday, and the keyboard is pretty meh. A little mushy. It pushed me towards the $1k 1440p one and I'll have some external SSDs attached to the Core back home for games since storage will be on the low side.

This is the kind of thing I've always wanted and it's becoming real very quickly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

This is the kind of thing I've always wanted and it's becoming real very quickly.
Quickly? We've been seeing half-baked and vaporware announcements of this kind of stuff at CES for what feels like decades now.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Speaking of vaporware announcements, whatever happened to that technology that involved putting any two random video cards from any manufacturer into your computer and it would work just like it was a proper SLI/Crossfire configuration?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kuddles posted:

Speaking of vaporware announcements, whatever happened to that technology that involved putting any two random video cards from any manufacturer into your computer and it would work just like it was a proper SLI/Crossfire configuration?
This article talks about Lucid's efforts, and the upcoming DX12 functionality:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview/2

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

It works fine, except micro stutter returns.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Do you think it would benefit AMD to fix heterogeneous multigpu? I'm not sure since it can kind of encourage people to purchase a competitors card, but AMDs market position and Nvidia's market saturation might mean that AMD (with better multigpu support) is more likely to be picked up period for anyone looking at a multigpu.

I don't see how it specifically benefits Nvidia though, especially since heterogeneous multigpu currently works best with a stronger, primary AMD card and a slave Nvidia card.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mobby_6kl posted:

I so badly want this to be a thing, but I just can't prove to myself that Thunderbolt 3.0 can hold up.

I am also cold-sweating like hell thanks to the flu, but I think my math is still sound, in that at best, we're getting only the equivalent of 4 lanes of PCIe here, and while it's known that recent video cards run "fine" on 4X PCIe 3.0 (with like, maybe a 1-3% loss over 16X) I don't have any numbers on say, slapping a 980TI into one of these and seeing if that bottlenecks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I so badly want this to be a thing, but I just can't prove to myself that Thunderbolt 3.0 can hold up.

I am also cold-sweating like hell thanks to the flu, but I think my math is still sound, in that at best, we're getting only the equivalent of 4 lanes of PCIe here, and while it's known that recent video cards run "fine" on 4X PCIe 3.0 (with like, maybe a 1-3% loss over 16X) I don't have any numbers on say, slapping a 980TI into one of these and seeing if that bottlenecks.

If anything, hopefully Thunderbolt becomes ubiquitous as an artifact of eGPU.

EDIT: Goddamn phone.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 23, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I assume that was autocorrect and actually "becomes ubiquitous". That's fine, I have no problems with Thunderbolt being "The eGPU Cable", because the next version is planned to have 80Gbits of bandwidth, and ostensibly future generations will double that again, but my hangup is, "I really want to be able to pump 16 lanes through Thunderbolt, because it's not just your GPU, but also the built-in Ethernet, USB 3.0 ports, and... yeah."

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I didn't realize people would be excited for that gpu dock. I don't see when I'd use it if I had one

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I assume that was autocorrect and actually "becomes ubiquitous". That's fine, I have no problems with Thunderbolt being "The eGPU Cable", because the next version is planned to have 80Gbits of bandwidth, and ostensibly future generations will double that again, but my hangup is, "I really want to be able to pump 16 lanes through Thunderbolt, because it's not just your GPU, but also the built-in Ethernet, USB 3.0 ports, and... yeah."

Thanks for pointing that out, corrected.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I didn't realize people would be excited for that gpu dock. I don't see when I'd use it if I had one

I don't need it but I want TB 3 to be the universal industry standard docking station cable so I can buy and run one station for whatever device (although having naked PCIe on your charging cable is a loving horrifying idea from a security standpoint).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kuddles posted:

It will never be as good as a proper homogenous multi-GPU setup simply because interoperability is always going to have to happen by going through the CPU. Having interlinked homogenous GPUs lets you do things like copy memory between cards without going through system memory or doing format conversions and it lets you use inter-GPU synchronization objects which don't need CPU intervention.

The more practical use for heterogenous multi-GPU is to use the discreet card for rendering and use the integrated GPU for compute work like physics.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD doesn't seem super secure.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wanna break that down for the not-so-smarts?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Not technical enough myself but

quote:

This patch set adds kernel support for the new Polaris asics. Patches
that add support for userspace and new firmware will be out momentarily.
Support is included for:
- GFX
- UVD
- VCE
- Power management
- Displays

Polaris being added to AMD linux drivers is what I can parse. Personally a bit confused on some points,such as Topaz (mobile Oland) shows up among a bunch of desktop GPUs. Confirmation Ellesmere is Polaris10 and Baffin is Polaris11. Also PCI IDs for Ellesmere and Baffin, so potentially 2 variations of Ellesmere and 6 of Baffin? I'm sure someone more literate can parse out something more.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

AMD is adding support for future hardware into the kernel drivers before the hardware is actually out, similar to what Intel has been doing for a while.

Alex Deucher works for AMD and none of this is a leak or security breach though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It is, however, both a sign of an imminent release, a sign that AMD is doing their legwork ahead of time, and that AMD is at least marginally supporting Linux this time around.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Not my order, a kickstarter

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

It is, however, both a sign of an imminent release, a sign that AMD is doing their legwork ahead of time, and that AMD is at least marginally supporting Linux this time around.

It doesn't sound like it will actually be merged any time soon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So can small polaris fit into laptops or what?