Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I ended up getting Assault Android Cactus on a friend's suggestion who insisted that it should have won over Broforce and he was completely right. Broforce is a riot in itself (and online multiplayer) but AAC is really fun and technically competent where Broforce feels broken in so many technical ways. Either way, AAC is worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking of Dark Souls 3 the Japanese version on Xbox One has English text, the ps4 one does not :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Japanese people don't play Xbox

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I got Dark Souls 3. I am happy so far, but real Dark Souls has not started yet and I'm going to bed before it does, or else I won't be able to sleep.

gently caress you samurai sanders :smith: (I'm just jealous of you stupid early Japanese copy players)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Really sucks that in this day and age we don't get a simultaneous release. Almost another 3 weeks to go for us, by which time most of the game will be known :(

DS2 and Bloodborne had world-wide release within a couple of days of each other, why is this time around so staggered?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MZ posted:

Really sucks that in this day and age we don't get a simultaneous release. Almost another 3 weeks to go for us, by which time most of the game will be known :(

DS2 and Bloodborne had world-wide release within a couple of days of each other, why is this time around so staggered?

If I had to guess - reverse importing. Generally if there's a big-name Japanese game that's more gameplay than plot focused, that's the reason. Since JP software prices are incredibly stupid.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If I had to guess - reverse importing. Generally if there's a big-name Japanese game that's more gameplay than plot focused, that's the reason. Since JP software prices are incredibly stupid.

Not true, I can get the JP version for pretty much the same price as the UK one.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It probably has something to do with From publishing the JP console versions itself while Bandai Namco handles the rest.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
this system have no games I am interested in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I've seen a few people say this and I don't really get it. It is very much its own game; the exploration and platforming elements are far more of a Metroidvania thing than anything, the combat is entirely its own thing revolving around combos and such, and the overall aesthetic goes for a more punk gritty sort of thing than the typical Souls melancholy. To me it's a Metroidvania with a lot of Souls dressings owning to the devs being huge fans of it, and what elements it directly takes it always does something interesting with (e.g. how focus interacts with the stamina bar, how the creeds work in general, how sanctuaries work in general).

It's not identical by any means, but it's close enough that it feels very derivative to me. Which is fine because that's obviously what they were going for, it just keeps me from appreciating S&S as it's own thing and makes it feel like fan fiction. I would have preferred a major thematic shift or something to make it come off as less of just a 2D Souls. I'd say the same thing about that game EITR that is supposed to come out soon.

One thing that makes it stick out even more to me is that it's not a reimagining of a long neglected series. it's something that is getting a sequel in a couple of weeks. Nonetheless it's still totally worth playing, but I'll never be able to play it without that looming in the back of my head.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goferchan posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls 3 the Japanese version on Xbox One has English text, the ps4 one does not :(

lmao this is the biggest loving troll considering no one in Japan owns an Xbox One. I love that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All the GTA games are pretty boring

This always weirds me out, especially 4 and 5. They have all the pieces ready to be constantly causing really neat procedural madness but they design their cops and baddies and missions as if they specifically don't want this to happen.

Some of the most interesting GTA times I've ever had are interactions between players with and without wanted levels online where the cops become confused or mixed up in two different chases. Just a tiiiiiiiiiny bit of random idiocy in the police behavior would make the meat of their games (running from the cops) waaaaay less predictable and boring.

I still love the games just for the glimpses of these things and their mindblowing effort on the cities, but goddamn. Update the chases already rockstar.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

lmao this is the biggest loving troll considering no one in Japan owns an Xbox One. I love that.

This is a patently false claim. 91 more people own an Xbox One in Japan this week than last week.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I got Dark Souls 3. I am happy so far, but real Dark Souls has not started yet and I'm going to bed before it does, or else I won't be able to sleep.

Oh right, it's out in Japan. Welp, goodbye internet for the next few weeks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

This is a patently false claim. 91 more people own an Xbox One in Japan this week than last week.

This is hosed up if true. :eyepop:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The major problem with games is and has always been AI, tbh I couldn't care less about 1080p 60fps or whatever, what I really wanna see is someone making an actual good non-easily exploitable AI for once.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

El Hefe posted:

The major problem with games is and has always been AI, tbh I couldn't care less about 1080p 60fps or whatever, what I really wanna see is someone making an actual good non-easily exploitable AI for once.

People who are really good at AI programming don't work for games companies, they work for finance companies or google.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or in secret for the government working on autonomous death machines.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's also because the pc version is delayed and Bandai wants to release here at the same time as pc.

So it's pc gamers fault.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Like some of Franklins assassin missions flirt with a Hitman/Mordor/Dishonored style "get him however you want" kind of gameplay but even then you have to work at it and it never feels like they WANT you to try it differently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
GTA V went a long way into ensuring that you actually finish the game. Mid mission checkpoints were a godsend, because far too many times, I would fail missions because of some weird bullshit, which meant having to drive back to the mission giver, then drive to the mission site, etc.

I actually just recently finished GTA SA on PC after making it to San Fierro on 4 different occasions, losing my save, and having to start over again for various reasons. GTA V was a smooth experience in comparison.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Hefe posted:

This has been possible for a long time, but a super-advanced unbeatable AI isn't actually fun to play against so they get restrained.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

It's also because the pc version is delayed and Bandai wants to release here at the same time as pc.

So it's pc gamers fault.

But streamers are getting their copies of the PC version activated. The PC version is basically good to go so I've no idea what the delay is for.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

haveblue posted:

This has been possible for a long time, but a super-advanced unbeatable AI isn't actually fun to play against so they get restrained.

I'm not talking about an unbeatable AI, just look at the AI in any racing game ever, they are all dumb as bricks and developers usually resort to rubber banding or other methods to provide a challenge to the players or to let them win depending on the case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

afaik From self publishes in Japan so blame Bamco. I'd say maybe they use a different factory or something but the delay has been planned all along so I dunno.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But streamers are getting their copies of the PC version activated. The PC version is basically good to go so I've no idea what the delay is for.
Financial/fiscal results.

I said come in! posted:

This is hosed up if true. :eyepop:
If there is a reason to read sales results every week it's to watch the XBOne's sales bounce between 2 and 3 digits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which of you buggers is playing Dark Souls 3 on my friends list? :argh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else hearing whatshisface from MGSV in the announcer/pit guy in Trackmania.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Feenix posted:

Anyone else hearing whatshisface from MGSV in the announcer/pit guy in Trackmania.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO do you mean?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to finishing Uncharted 2 for the first time as well as a replay of UC3. I gotta say I still don't get why UC2 is still so widely considered the best in the series. Maybe it's nostalgia for people, but 3 feels better to me in just about every way. The gameplay and graphics are unquestionably better. I also found it to have the best set pieces and I think overall the story was paced better. The story definetly had a couple of glaring problems (mainly Chloe and Cutter just disappearing and Syria lasting way too long) and there were also a couple of absolutely obnoxious gameplay segments near the end (holy poo poo fighting those djinn guys while hallucinating as well as the endless grenade spam sucked) but otherwise I really thought it was the best entry in the series.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

NESguerilla posted:

Finally got around to finishing Uncharted 2 for the first time as well as a replay of UC3. I gotta say I still don't get why UC2 is still so widely considered the best in the series. Maybe it's nostalgia for people, but 3 feels better to me in just about every way. The gameplay and graphics are unquestionably better. I also found it to have the best set pieces and I think overall the story was paced better. The story definetly had a couple of glaring problems (mainly Chloe and Cutter just disappearing and Syria lasting way too long) and there were also a couple of absolutely obnoxious gameplay segments near the end (holy poo poo fighting those djinn guys while hallucinating as well as the endless grenade spam sucked) but otherwise I really thought it was the best entry in the series.

When it first came out, there were MASSIVE issues with the aiming that gave a lot of bad first impressions, and while a lot of the setpieces were good, that whole boat segment was just about the worst for some folks. Time has treated it well, but it wasn't so hot when it first came out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't play UC until recently and I still though UC 2 was way better paced and interesting than 3. 3 felt like Call of Duty.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crappy Jack posted:

When it first came out, there were MASSIVE issues with the aiming that gave a lot of bad first impressions, and while a lot of the setpieces were good, that whole boat segment was just about the worst for some folks. Time has treated it well, but it wasn't so hot when it first came out.

There are some subtle differences in Uncharted 2 that put it over Uncharted 3 for me. I know that enemies react to getting shot a little differently. I have had common enemies shrug off bullets from guns in UC3 while in UC2 they react to each shot. Also, I find the encounter design to be lovely in UC3 in that enemies feel like they keep trickling in which feels kind of unnatural.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will agree that the way the enemies trickle in can get very annoying. I think the series in general has a problem with dragging out enemy encounters too much. Usually once an encounter feels like it should be over there is at least 2 more waves to deal with.

Maybe I'm just crazy but the boat graveyard and cruise ship was one of my favorite parts in the series visually as well as gameplay-wise.

Looking at uncharted now there's some things about the series that could really be improved. That's part of why I'm so excited for the new one. Between TLOU and the UC4 beta I think Naughty dog has come a long way and are always striving to out do anything they've done. UC4 is going to be great.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I haven't played 3 yet but UC2 was such a massive improvement from 1 (and just a really fun, good game) that I could see why if UC3 was marginally better at best, it just wouldn't be as well-remembered.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Quote-Unquote posted:

the relationship parts of sleepydogs are incredibly dumb and bad even by videogame standards and make absolutely no sense for the character.
"how dare you see another guy? I sang karaoke for you that one time in a place where you were paid to be! We spent five whole minutes hanging out, bitch! I'll kill you!"

good game otherwise though
Chalk that up to Activision fuckery cancelling development when the game was going to be True Crime: Hong Kong. The dev studio was originally planning more than one date for each girl and was not able to do that when Square Enix rescued the game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

grrarg posted:

Chalk that up to Activision fuckery cancelling development when the game was going to be True Crime: Hong Kong. The dev studio was originally planning more than one date for each girl and was not able to do that when Square Enix rescued the game.

Apparently the whole thing is a lesson in guest voice actors, because the reason why they didn't just axe the mechanic is because one of the dates was voiced by an actress and they had already advertised it everywhere. So they couldn't cut it no matter how little sense it made.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I kind of liked that they were this abrupt thing that basically showed Wei Shen as a broken kind of dude. Also, they were better written than any female character in the history of Grand Theft Auto

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mycot posted:

Apparently the whole thing is a lesson in guest voice actors, because the reason why they didn't just axe the mechanic is because one of the dates was voiced by an actress and they had already advertised it everywhere. So they couldn't cut it no matter how little sense it made.

The American girl is Emma Stone, who was blowing up at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO do you mean?

Had to look it up... Huey Emmerich.

• Locked thread