Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If your going to be offended at least be able to say what it is that offends you is all I ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not offended, I saw people bitching on FB and found it amusing.

No wait, I am offended by the lovely art.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Making Deadpool look ridiculously attractive except blotchy sort of undermines his character, doesn't it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think that cover is just for fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I think that cover is just for fun.

"Just for fun" guarantees that someone, somewhere, is going to raise a stink about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Making Deadpool look ridiculously attractive except blotchy sort of undermines his character, doesn't it?
Well, it worked for the movie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My one real gripe with the movie was that he looked too pretty after the treatment.

Hell, that Iraqi vet guy who had his face burned off still got married to his highschool sweetheart.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Um...Unless there's another guy that I haven't heard about...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least they tried :shrug:

My main point was that he just wasn't as ugly as he should have been. I had a great uncle who almost looked that bad just from a life working on a farm out in the sun each day.

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
:nws:http://postimg.org/image/lq3em1r93/:nws:
:nws:http://postimg.org/image/4xwb0vce9/:nws:
:nws:http://postimg.org/image/y6359byc7/:nws:

(Woodland penis animals.)

Caveman Cat fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I like how the snake is relatively unchanged

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Hope this is the right thread for this. Around 2013-2014 I took a real interest in reading and collecting comics and being from the UK I had easy access to 2000 AD's prog and through that I bought up older back issues and stuff.

Came across a trove of comics in my cupboard, some progs/megazine and some US comics ranging from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s.

Any interest in me digging through these and sharing some of the best/worst stuff I can find?

Not to open with a showstopper but fresh outta 1987 is the first issue of Grant Morrison's Zenith.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sundowner posted:

Hope this is the right thread for this. Around 2013-2014 I took a real interest in reading and collecting comics and being from the UK I had easy access to 2000 AD's prog and through that I bought up older back issues and stuff.

Came across a trove of comics in my cupboard, some progs/megazine and some US comics ranging from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s.

Any interest in me digging through these and sharing some of the best/worst stuff I can find?
The early-mid 1990s were the nadir for 2000AD's "third-rate Bisley clone brown-on-brown painted art printed on toilet paper" period, so reliving some of its worst horrors would be fun.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'M A SHIELD OF HOPE!!

:cool:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Got distracted, finally uploaded these. I went through the '87 pile first because it's a short run and all Pretty Much Good so there's nothing too groundbreaking but these are some highlights.

From 2000AD Progs 535 - 542 (circa August-November 1987) featuring the first part of Grant Morrison's Zenith among the usual suspects, Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and various Future Shocks.

Pictures aren't as good as the next batch will be, didn't realize my phone wasn't taking full res pics earlier. I'll probably switch to my real camera to get other photos.

Groovy, man...

:krad: I get a bit of a Phil Noto vibe from that last one.

The Prog and 2000AD in general have always had some zany art, and it's so varietous because of the anthology format. One of the reasons I love(d) collecting them.

Though this was a cool aside.

This is what piqued my interest. I don't know much about Manga to be honest, but I've always gotten this sort of manga vibe from early Strontium Dog comics.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 23, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sundowner posted:

Got distracted, finally uploaded these. I went through the '87 pile first because it's a short run and all Pretty Much Good so there's nothing too groundbreaking but these are some highlights.

From 2000AD Progs 535 - 542 (circa August-November 1987) featuring the first part of Grant Morrison's Zenith among the usual suspects, Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and various Future Shocks.

Pictures aren't as good as the next batch will be, didn't realize my phone wasn't taking full res pics earlier. I'll probably switch to my real camera to get other photos.

Groovy, man...

:krad: I get a bit of a Phil Noto vibe from that last one.

The first Zenith cover you posted was a Dillon, but Zenith marked the debut of Steve Yeowell, who went on to illustrate The Invisibles.

The Noto-esque page is hard to source as the issue was credited to K Edwards but it's known to be a collaboration between Will Simpson, Gary Leach and Dave Elliot. It doesn't look much like Leach or Simpson, so I'm guessing it's Elliot.

quote:

The Prog and 2000AD in general have always had some zany art, and it's so varietous because of the anthology format. One of the reasons I love(d) collecting them.

That's John Hicklenton, whose art I never liked - especially as it came immediately after Bryan Talbot's run on Nemesis. Hicklenton went to Dignitas to die in 2010 after a ten year struggle with multiple sclerosis.

quote:

This is what piqued my interest. I don't know much about Manga to be honest, but I've always gotten this sort of manga vibe from early Strontium Dog comics.

Weird, I've never had a manga vibe from Strontium Dog or Colin MacNeil. That story was the first time anyone other than Carlos Ezquerra had drawn the strip in 2000AD and MacNeil was very much trying to imitate Ezquerra, which is why his style is somewhat off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Weird, I've never had a manga vibe from Strontium Dog or Colin MacNeil. That story was the first time anyone other than Carlos Ezquerra had drawn the strip in 2000AD and MacNeil was very much trying to imitate Ezquerra, which is why his style is somewhat off.

I think there's maybe a kinda sorta Fist of the North Star vibe to some of it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think there's maybe a kinda sorta Fist of the North Star vibe to some of it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it reminds me of too, especially the middle one. It's mostly the heads and faces, really.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Jedit posted:

The first Zenith cover you posted was a Dillon, but Zenith marked the debut of Steve Yeowell, who went on to illustrate The Invisibles.

The Noto-esque page is hard to source as the issue was credited to K Edwards but it's known to be a collaboration between Will Simpson, Gary Leach and Dave Elliot. It doesn't look much like Leach or Simpson, so I'm guessing it's Elliot.

That's John Hicklenton, whose art I never liked - especially as it came immediately after Bryan Talbot's run on Nemesis. Hicklenton went to Dignitas to die in 2010 after a ten year struggle with multiple sclerosis.

That's for the insight! In hindsight I should have at least given details of the artists provided I had the info but the extent of my artist knowledge is sort of mid 2013-2014 DC and Marvel comic runs when I was really collecting so I wasn't thinking of going into detail about them. In the future I'll provide credit where I can find it, but it's probably best left to someone like you who knows their stuff to actually talk about it! :P

Re: strontium dog, granted I haven't read a lot of it yet (caught it now and then when I picked up progs that featured it) maybe my memory is just cloudy. I'm not about to say you're wrong. That said, I still get a strong manga-like vibe from those panels I posted. Something about the shading, the white-out eyes and that silhouette.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sundowner posted:

Re: strontium dog, granted I haven't read a lot of it yet (caught it now and then when I picked up progs that featured it) maybe my memory is just cloudy. I'm not about to say you're wrong. That said, I still get a strong manga-like vibe from those panels I posted. Something about the shading, the white-out eyes and that silhouette.

Well, the eyes are specific to Johnny Alpha; they're his mutation.

This is what MacNeil looks like when he's not trying to be Super Squirrel (and when he's allowed to paint):

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Jedit posted:

This is what MacNeil looks like when he's not trying to be Super Squirrel (and when he's allowed to paint):

Painted Colin MacNeil is my favourite Dredd artist, especially when he does night scenes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
MacNeil and Kev Walker were easily the best of 2000AD's "fully painted" artists, but I'm guessing that the sheer amount of time and work needed to do each page is the reason they both changed their style back to coloured lineart. (Phone posting, or I'd stick up some of Walker's ABC Warriors paintwork.)

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Artist: Sean Phillips

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If Devlin Waugh isn't just Evelyn Waugh with a red laser gun I don't want to hear about it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sundowner posted:

Artist: Sean Phillips

So.

He had to fight some space monsters before competing in Mr. Universe?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

So.

He had to fight some space monsters before competing in Mr. Universe?

It's probably the apes in the background, but I assumed he had a gorilla torso for some reason.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

prefect posted:

It's probably the apes in the background, but I assumed he had a gorilla torso for some reason.

Physique is middling tbh. DYEL?

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Please keep posting

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Timelapse of Jung Gi drawing interconnecting Civil War 2 covers in ink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVJfp834uw

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Archyduke posted:

If Devlin Waugh isn't just Evelyn Waugh with a red laser gun I don't want to hear about it.

Exorcist-turned-Vampire Evelyn Waugh with a gun, a mystic amulet, and a liking for steroids.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Please keep posting

You asked for it! Some highlights from Devlin Waugh - Swimming In Blood. I really suggest y'all check out some Devlin Waugh stuff because it's hilarious and great. He's ostensibly a Olympic body building homosexual vampire who hunts down dastardly things. He was made to fly in the face of the Judge Dredd types that 2000AD were inundated with - though he does live in Judge Dredd's universe.

A fitting introduction...

His never relenting campness is a huge part of his dialog, and he's very well spoken...

Some great art throughout...

If you'd like to read more about this particular book...

My favourite panel, it pretty much says everything you need to know about Devlin...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Note to self: purchase "Devlin Waugh".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Note to self: purchase "Devlin Waugh".

Yeah, that's all good stuff. Is that the only Devlin Waugh adventure?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

redbackground posted:

I think Swimming In Blood is the first run featuring him in 1992 but there's plenty more up to at the latest 2007.

edit: haha no way, Swimming In Blood was released the month and year of my birth.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 30, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

redbackground posted:

Nope. There's two collected volumes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'M A SHIELD OF HOPE!!

:cool:

Is Captain America punching MODOK in the dick?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jedit posted:

Well, the eyes are specific to Johnny Alpha; they're his mutation.

This is supposed to be good? IT looks like poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw this spread in a preview of this week's Batgirl #50 by James Harvey.

I love this guy.

He did a few pages in the last issue

and character covers and one issue of interiors for We Are Robin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

This is supposed to be good? IT looks like poo poo.

My condolences on your loss of vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw this spread in a preview of this week's Batgirl #50 by James Harvey.
I love this guy.
:agreed: His DC work is some of the best I've seen on their side in a very long time.

Those Robin covers knocked me out.