Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Free chicken snacks sample: http://grubblyfarms.com/products/grubblies-free-sample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

CountFosco posted:

Whelp, my girlfriend wants chickens, and it's her house so we're getting chickens. Chicks, at first, and they're scheduled to arrive either today or tomorrow. A dozen of an egg layer mix, six silkies, six mixed bantams. We have an indoors area set aside to bring them from chicks to chickens all set up. As far as a chicken coop goes, we're planning on using a wood shed, coverted. So long as it's well ventilated you can convert a wood shed to a coop, right?

I'd definitely focus your research on easy to clean as a priority, when its hot, chook poo reeks haha.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Welp, the chicks came this morning! We ordered 24, but one didn't make it. Given how sad I feel about just that, I can't imagine I'll be tucking into these chickens ever. The good news is that the rest seem to be doing well! And a couple of them have these adorable little white caps on their heads, my girlfriend thinks they might be polish white crested chickens? That would be cool.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
You don't know what kind of chickens you ordered :confused: Did you get all pullets or a straight run? If you ordered a straight run of 25, you're gonna have to whack some of them.

We killed 10 roosters (from our straight run of 25) last weekend and goddamn butchering is a lot of work. Next time I'm spacing it out over a couple weekends, I don't know what I was thinking doing all of them at once especially considering it was my first time butchering.

Kharnifex posted:

I'd definitely focus your research on easy to clean as a priority, when its hot, chook poo reeks haha.

Discount linoleum on the floors man, it rules. It cost me ~$10 to do 100 ft²

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 16, 2016

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CountFosco posted:

The good news is that the rest seem to be doing well! And a couple of them have these adorable little white caps on their heads, my girlfriend thinks they might be polish white crested chickens? That would be cool.

Please post some pics of the new babies! :3:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i butchered my first quail on tuesday (i've had to euth a few before but this was the first one i've processed) and made a total hash of it. i did the pulling-out-the-spine-and-guts-all-at-once trick and the legs came off too. i wanted the legs :( anyway the dog ended up getting the corpse and he thought it was excellent. i was surprised how easy it was to process - especially pulling off the skin all at once like a shirt, wow - and hopefully the next one will end up less mangled, more edible.

our plymouth rock rooster stole the quail guts from under the dog's nose and thought they were delicious :ohdear:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Avshalom posted:

i butchered my first quail on tuesday (i've had to euth a few before but this was the first one i've processed) and made a total hash of it. i did the pulling-out-the-spine-and-guts-all-at-once trick and the legs came off too. i wanted the legs :( anyway the dog ended up getting the corpse and he thought it was excellent. i was surprised how easy it was to process - especially pulling off the skin all at once like a shirt, wow - and hopefully the next one will end up less mangled, more edible.

our plymouth rock rooster stole the quail guts from under the dog's nose and thought they were delicious :ohdear:

My husband accidentally ripped the head off one chicken and covered our white puppy in blood :lol: pup thought it was super rad. Man butchering is way harder than youtube makes it look. Getting the wings/legs/breasts off was super easy but man cutting out their assholes is a pain. I only pierced the colon on my first one though :toot: I'm a little tempted to just buy a bunch of meat birds so I can get more practice, butchering was pretty interesting once I got into the groove of things.

I reeaaaally need better knives though

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Avshalom posted:

Skin is so so so easy. It sounds like you clipped the hip bones. Quail are really held together by practically nothing at all and it's really easy to do. I bet you'll nail it next time.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Skin is so so so easy. It sounds like you clipped the hip bones. Quail are really held together by practically nothing at all and it's really easy to do. I bet you'll nail it next time.
they're terrifyingly fragile! i hope i can get one in edible condition soon. at least the dog and the rooster enjoyed it, although if the rooster develops a taste for quail flesh i'm going to be in trouble

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
ahhhhh i think i killed them all!!!

I came home at lunch from the office, turned my quail eggs and forgot to put the temp probe back in. The eggs potentially got as hot as 110F for around 4 hours...
how hosed am I? should i toss the eggs?

i started incubating on the 11th, any signs I can look for?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

BCBUDDHA posted:

I came home at lunch from the office, turned my quail eggs and forgot to put the temp probe back in. The eggs potentially got as hot as 110F for around 4 hours...

Well, you can candle the eggs for embryos starting around a week to 10 days after the start of incubation, by then you should be able to see if they are there and if they are viable. What the heck, what have you got to lose? You can look online and on YouTube for candling techniques and vids of what to look for.

Fingers crossed, you never know!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Well, you can candle the eggs for embryos starting around a week to 10 days after the start of incubation, by then you should be able to see if they are there and if they are viable. What the heck, what have you got to lose? You can look online and on YouTube for candling techniques and vids of what to look for.

Fingers crossed, you never know!

You just told someone to candle quail eggs. A first timer. Quail eggs are notoriously hard to candle. There's tons of people out there that say it's impossible. I've seen it done and done it myself, but it's definitely nowhere near as clear as a non-chocolate chicken egg.

And 10 days after setting quail eggs is about 5 days out of lockdown. At 10 days I'd expect to see half a chick formed. I usually candle at 5 because if you can see through the egg (and I'll say not all of them you can- ones with very large black splotches are drat near impossible if the chick's hanging out on one of those splotches, obviously) you'll see shadowing and whatnot. You may or may not see veins with quail eggs.

BCBUDDHA posted:

I'd give it 4-5 more days then pop one open. If it's alive, it'll wiggle a little before it dies and should look nearly like a fully formed chick at that point. 110 degrees is pretty hot and I wouldn't hold my breath very much, but at worst you've lost a batch of 20 eggs. At best, they hatch and are totally fine. If you lost them all, I wouldn't mind replacing them for you on the cheap if you want to try again if the farm doesn't have a supply for you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
today i saw a twelve-day-old chick try to face off with a huge fully grown light sussex rooster and it was very emotional for me

candling quail eggs is annoying, last batch i thought i'd hosed up and had like 5% fertility and two weeks later i had eighteen chicks out of twenty-two eggs. guinea fowl are frustrating too. on the other hand when you do get a good look at a quail foetus you can see its tiny beating heart! i like candling araucanas because the eggs light up bright turquoise like enormous jewels

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Avshalom posted:

today i saw a twelve-day-old chick try to face off with a huge fully grown light sussex rooster and it was very emotional for me

candling quail eggs is annoying, last batch i thought i'd hosed up and had like 5% fertility and two weeks later i had eighteen chicks out of twenty-two eggs. guinea fowl are frustrating too. on the other hand when you do get a good look at a quail foetus you can see its tiny beating heart! i like candling araucanas because the eggs light up bright turquoise like enormous jewels

Yep, candling is fun. And so exciting to see the little squirmers in there! :)

VVV Yay!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 21, 2016

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
what the gently caress am i doing

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Preppin' to get pooped on, I reckon.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You just told someone to candle quail eggs. A first timer. Quail eggs are notoriously hard to candle. There's tons of people out there that say it's impossible. I've seen it done and done it myself, but it's definitely nowhere near as clear as a non-chocolate chicken egg.

And 10 days after setting quail eggs is about 5 days out of lockdown. At 10 days I'd expect to see half a chick formed. I usually candle at 5 because if you can see through the egg (and I'll say not all of them you can- ones with very large black splotches are drat near impossible if the chick's hanging out on one of those splotches, obviously) you'll see shadowing and whatnot. You may or may not see veins with quail eggs.

I'd give it 4-5 more days then pop one open. If it's alive, it'll wiggle a little before it dies and should look nearly like a fully formed chick at that point. 110 degrees is pretty hot and I wouldn't hold my breath very much, but at worst you've lost a batch of 20 eggs. At best, they hatch and are totally fine. If you lost them all, I wouldn't mind replacing them for you on the cheap if you want to try again if the farm doesn't have a supply for you.

Any thoughts on floating the eggs? i might as well smash one open though, seems like it could be fun

edit: well that was loving horrifying. I hunt and have no problem killing animals, but i just wanted to put that poor little alien fetus back in its shell... hahaha anyhow, looks like some of them are viable.

BCBUDDHA fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 22, 2016

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I recall seeing something about eating almost developed chicken eggs or duck eggs something like that. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called. I'm thinking it starts with the letter B.

edit: Found it..... balut

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 22, 2016

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

piscesbobbie posted:

I recall seeing something about eating almost developed chicken eggs or duck eggs something like that. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called. I'm thinking it starts with the letter B.

Balut

I'm not happy I put that into google.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

thanks you are quick!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BCBUDDHA posted:

Any thoughts on floating the eggs? i might as well smash one open though, seems like it could be fun

edit: well that was loving horrifying. I hunt and have no problem killing animals, but i just wanted to put that poor little alien fetus back in its shell... hahaha anyhow, looks like some of them are viable.

I'm glad that they're viable man. I've never had any luck floating eggs with viability that late in the process with quail eggs. Yeah, the little weird half formed quail are sad when you bust them open early. Sorry little guys.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm glad that they're viable man. I've never had any luck floating eggs with viability that late in the process with quail eggs. Yeah, the little weird half formed quail are sad when you bust them open early. Sorry little guys.

candled a few using the flash/flashlight on my iphone 5, shows pretty nicely on some, i can definitely see some moving. I think i'll probably end up with like 5-6.

my humidity guage seems to have gone tits up, so im just gonna rely on keeping moisture in there and hope for the best in this home stretch

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BCBUDDHA posted:

candled a few using the flash/flashlight on my iphone 5, shows pretty nicely on some, i can definitely see some moving. I think i'll probably end up with like 5-6.

my humidity guage seems to have gone tits up, so im just gonna rely on keeping moisture in there and hope for the best in this home stretch

I always just use one of those cheap outdoor weather monitor things. looks a bit like a digital clock. I'm glad that your eggs aren't being a pain :3:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Chick rations have me confused. The book (Dummies) says that for general purpose/layer breeds (i.e. not meat birds) I'm looking for starter feed with 22 % protein. Stores seem to have either 24 % for game birds, or 20 % "grower" or feed that is labeled "starter" but has only 18 % protein. So I got them the medicated starter with 18 %. Now because I'm clueless but anxious about the protein I'm feeding them a hard boiled egg every once in a while, making the whole protein accounting go right out the window.

Am i damaging them beyond repair? For what it's worth they go absolutely nuts over the boiled egg.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

hey santa baby posted:

Am i damaging them beyond repair? For what it's worth they go absolutely nuts over the boiled egg.

Haha! Chick owners here feed their babies scrambled and hard-boiled eggs all the time. The little cannibal chicks love 'em! :D

So, yeah, it's okay to feed chicks cooked eggs. Great source of protein.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Inveigle posted:

Haha! Chick owners here feed their babies scrambled and hard-boiled eggs all the time. The little cannibal chicks love 'em! :D

So, yeah, it's okay to feed chicks cooked eggs. Great source of protein.

I sort of figured that. I was more concerned about the 18 % protein vs. the recommended 22 % vs. the random amount they end up getting with the egg. The book talks about developmental defects if they don't get the correct amount -- crooked legs and so on.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Big floor and tiny floof.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

hey santa baby posted:

Chick rations have me confused. The book (Dummies) says that for general purpose/layer breeds (i.e. not meat birds) I'm looking for starter feed with 22 % protein. Stores seem to have either 24 % for game birds, or 20 % "grower" or feed that is labeled "starter" but has only 18 % protein. So I got them the medicated starter with 18 %. Now because I'm clueless but anxious about the protein I'm feeding them a hard boiled egg every once in a while, making the whole protein accounting go right out the window.

More importantly, you appear to have baby chick royalty there.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Ugh, the "assorted crested bantam" is the boldest of the batch. Bullying the others and trying to jump out of the brooder at like a week and a half. I bet it's a boy.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Well, Spring has finally arrived in the UK and the hens were enjoying the sunshine yesterday:

Especially Pip.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I gave that hen a dog bed. Hens love dog beds.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Well, Spring has finally arrived in the UK and the hens were enjoying the sunshine yesterday:

Especially Pip.

No human alive will ever know that level of pure bliss.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

On the other end of the spectrum, one of mine tried to eat a honeybee today. :cripes:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, one of mine tried to eat a honeybee today. :cripes:

So...what happened? We need to hear the story!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I changed my oil today, and after dumping it into a jug for recycling, I left it up on top of a garbage can so I could tip it and empty whatever was left over.

Of course, Dahlia decided jumping up on there was an excellent idea, so now I know how to get motor oil off a chicken. She splashed herself but good, too. Luckily the weather should be warm and dry this week so hopefully she'll be able to get waterproof again before it rains.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
hurray! its come time for my quail eggs to hatch, after repeatedly loving up the temperature by leaving the probe out, I floated the 9 remaining eggs today and had 7 that started wiggling.

I'll need to build a brooder I guess pretty quickly. Im thinking a desklamp for heat over a clean cardboard box?

Pics incoming when they've hatched

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
If you can afford it, there are some good infrared brooders that don't produce light and are a bit more energy efficient. They'll keep the babbies warm, but won't interfere with their ability to sleep as much as a light will.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
If you do cardboard put plastic under it, that way you're prepared when the chicks inevitably have super wet poops in the only bare spot on the box floor, or spill their water into the bedding. Babies are messy.

Can't wait for pictures! ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Nevermind, answered my own question.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 31, 2016