Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I remember CSI being fairly formulaic, but it's been ages since I watched any of them (except for about three episodes of CSI Cyber when it started) and mostly preferred CSI Miami anyway.

Well I think part of the issue with Lucifer's case if the week is that only 3 of the shows 6 characters are involved I the cases, since Maz, Amenadiel, and Linda are all just in Lucifer's plotlines. CSI has a similar sized cast, but they are all involved, the narrative itself has a lot variety depending on which characters they are focusing on. In Lucifer, the case of the week is just Lucifer and Chloe and sometimes Dan. This makes each case feel a lot more samey even after just a few episodes.

Ditto for Castle, where you had Ryan, Esposito, Laney, and Montgomery fleshing out the precinct. By comparison, Lucifer's cast is tiny and underused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Amenadiel and Linda have both been involved in cases now and I assume will be again. I'm guessing Mazikeen will be as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tiggum posted:

Amenadiel and Linda have both been involved in cases now and I assume will be again. I'm guessing Mazikeen will be as well.

Maz is more of a perpetrator than investigator, but yeah, I could see that.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
A childhood friend of mine was pole dancing in the opening scene of the latest episode. So cool. I'm from Vancouver which has a big film industry so people and places I know are on TV fairly often, but it's kind of rare that they're in shows that I actually like!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

But there's no way for them to be involved without tying the episode into the over-arching story. Well not Amenadiel, at least. I'm just not seeing how this should could survive being 100% procedural given the existing cast of characters.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snak posted:

But there's no way for them to be involved without tying the episode into the over-arching story. Well not Amenadiel, at least. I'm just not seeing how this should could survive being 100% procedural given the existing cast of characters.

Amenadiel could be roped into helping just about any time by having him justify it as using it as an opportunity to spend time with Lucifer so he can try to convince him to go back to hell. Linda can be there so they can make use of her expertise. Mazikeen will be the easiest once Lucifer forgives her, since she's his protector and it would make sense for her to be wherever he is.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Tiggum posted:

I like procedurals. I think the bigger story gets in the way of the bits I like. I want the formulaic case of the week, not the rest of it. I hope they don't focus on the big mystery and just keep that as a background thing. Focusing on the bigger stories is what ruins these shows.

I think there are two things: there is the element of how much supernatural woo and mythology they actually put into the show, and then there is story arcs v. villain of the week.

What is probably a waste of the show premise is doing villain of the week for the next 20 episodes, with none of the villains and conflicts being supernatural woo related.

They can keep the mythology separate and mix between the mythology arcs and police case of the week with no woo, but having it be all police case of the week with no side story arcs and also with no woo integrated into the police cases doesn't seem like a long term formula to me.

The stolen wings episode was a good integration attempt IMO.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only real downside to the wings episode was the display looking like a giant iphone case.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only real downside to the wings episode was the display looking like a giant iphone case.

Where'd he even find the case, what's it supposed to hold anyway?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

evilmiera posted:

Standard iPhone 6s case, I think

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

I doubt someone who collects and sells rare antiquities has trouble acquiring custom built display enclosures.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. Those wings aren't real. I.e. not an actual prop.

2d print and cgi.

God drat that is both incredible and depressing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first one was a prop, though, right?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Partially. The wing part he popped the feather off of was a prop.

The ones on the beach were apparently cardboard and more cgi.

I'm seriously impressed by the fx team on the show but god drat at the same time if those wings were legit props in the case that means that someone was able to make them, and that means there's hope that I might be able to swing it some day.

:smith:

Still gonna watch it tonight though. :devil:

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
Lucifer: "Ah. Speaking of the ... me."

Lucifer: "At least she could see what he was thinking."

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Huh. So he brought the dude back from the dead due to some machinations of his own. Wonder what he could be up to worth dragging some rear end in a top hat cop back from hell to accomplish.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nice, they're bringing the cop & angel story together.

Zebulon posted:

Huh. So he brought the dude back from the dead due to some machinations of his own. Wonder what he could be up to worth dragging some rear end in a top hat cop back from hell to accomplish.

Probably so he can shoot Lucifer and get away with it.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh look, the Devil went down to Georgia.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Priest playing Knockin' on Heaven's Door is great.

As is Lucifer seeming offended by the idea a priest could outplay him, then showing begrudging respect when he rocks the gently caress out of it.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Also, (un)holy guyliner, Luci!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

Nice, they're bringing the cop & angel story together.

Probably so he can shoot Lucifer and get away with it.

Bingo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maze continuing to work Lux is confusing after she and Lucifer are done, but I guess it's expected given how TV show casting works. Either that or they've been "done" many many times over the course of their relationship.

Is this show saying Catholics have it right?

Zebulon posted:

Priest playing Knockin' on Heaven's Door is great.
Not a bit much?

edit: Oh, and I keep hoping rear end in a top hat cop will just tell Amenadiel to gently caress off. Is he even allowed to kill a guy?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

odiv posted:

Maze continuing to work Lux is confusing after she and Lucifer are done, but I guess it's expected given how TV show casting works. Either that or they've been "done" many many times over the course of their relationship.

Is this show saying Catholics have it right?

Not a bit much?

edit: Oh, and I keep hoping rear end in a top hat cop will just tell Amenadiel to gently caress off. Is he even allowed to kill a guy?

He's been indirectly responsible for killing several humans already, even if he isn't actually pulling triggers (or swinging fiery swords), and historically angels murdering the poo poo out of humans has been sort of part of the job description.

So is resurrected cop going to have something to do with gluttony? It would be interesting to see him gain like 50 pounds steadily through the rest of the season since he can't seem to stop eating.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's pretty clear that Amenadiel is just using the letter of the law as hard as he can to make Luicfer go back to Hell. He was told to do it, so outside of Amenadiel personally committing a "falling" sin anything goes because that's the entire point of God vs Lucifer. Making mortals do terrible things is still 100% A-OK as far as God is concerned because mortals have free will

In most fiction, Lucifer rebels for whatever reason but "free will" is always a core factor. The cop Amenadiel brought back can choose not to kill Lucifer and just go back to Hell like he would've but if he shoots Luicfer then it's not like Amenadiel did anything wrong because dirty cop made a choice.

Literally everything about the myth of Luicifer boils down to "humans get free will" and other beings don't, so all the external pressure on a person don't matter, they can still consciously choose to do something and face the music for whatever it was.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Snak posted:

I doubt someone who collects and sells rare antiquities has trouble acquiring custom built display enclosures.

Sure, but in less than a week, to a very odd and specific size?

Edit: The only kind of item I can figure them putting in a case shaped like that is a large unfurled scroll of some type, though I think it would be tilted in that scenario to have something for the scroll to rest on and be easier to read.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Edit: The only kind of item I can figure them putting in a case shaped like that is a large unfurled scroll of some type, though I think it would be tilted in that scenario to have something for the scroll to rest on and be easier to read.
This is literally the most ridiculous criticism I've ever seen in TV IV.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

evilmiera posted:

Its a big flat see through case. You could put literally anything in it that was fairly flat, and you wanted to look at but not touch. Manuscripts, tapestries, swords, knives all spring to mind as things an antiquities dealer might have occasion to display that he could have used the case for. In any case, this guy;

Josh Lyman posted:

This is literally the most ridiculous criticism I've ever seen in TV IV.

has a very good point.

This weeks episode, I was kind of hoping the priest would be added to the supporting cast.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Lucifer prop department was able to come up with that case, and you can bet they had a smaller budget and less time than crazy antiquities scam artist man.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm glad the show didn't keep us waiting too long for the reveal about the dirty cop being brought back from hell. Some things he said in the previous episode practically screamed that he had come back from hell.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Lucifer prop department was able to come up with that case, and you can bet they had a smaller budget and less time than crazy antiquities scam artist man.

Hahaha this is literally the best point made on this.

Edit - This is a pretty good show. And I am a huge fan of the book so I came in salty as hell.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 23, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who was disappointed that Lucifer didn't throw himself in front of the bullet to save his "new friend", only to not be harmed by it and have the preacher call it a miracle from God?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

Am I the only one who was disappointed that Lucifer didn't throw himself in front of the bullet to save his "new friend", only to not be harmed by it and have the preacher call it a miracle from God?

At this point Lucifer (at least believes he isn't) isn't invulnerable. He is actually relatively scared of dying and going back to Heck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

At this point Lucifer (at least believes he isn't) isn't invulnerable. He is actually relatively scared of dying and going back to Heck.

I know that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

They're probably going to save that reveal for when the dirty cop tries to kill him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. This last episode was okay, but the case of the week was super boring and predictable and Lucifer's character development is progressing at a snail's pace. This episode had lots of good moments, they were just wrapped in the blandest package.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

They're probably going to save that reveal for when the dirty cop tries to kill him.

It's either that or he jumps in the way of a bullet heading toward Decker. Considering who the planned shooter is, it's probably going to be both at a once.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Calling it now: Maz slips the feather into the pocket of Lucifer's jacket, and when the bullet hits him it also strikes the the feather, pushing it into his body and causing him to explosively manifest the regrowth of his wings.

edit: Just kidding, nothing that cool is going to happen on this show.

So far we've had:
Sports Manager
Pick-up Artist
Youth Center
Actor
Controversial Couples Therapist
some other one's so boring I don't remember

That means we still have:
Musician/Record Producer
Lawyer
Small Business Owner

left for this season.

Did we do High School Homicide yet?

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Season will end with Amenadiel falling then next season will be all about him throwing hell residents at Lucifer "Reaper" style.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't we have record producer in the pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Season will end with Amenadiel falling then next season will be all about him throwing hell residents at Lucifer "Reaper" style.

I'm actually wondering if Amenadiel's not as smart as he thinks he is, and when Lucifer sees through his plan to have him killed, he will be able to drat AMENADIEL TO HELL with the full blessing of their Father.

edit: ^ poo poo, you're right, there was an actor there too, thought, right? That's why I got confused? There was definitely stuntman somewhere...

But yeah, so Record Producer is out. Was there a musician/pop star?

• Locked thread