Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ahahaha who loving cares about ratings if you're getting out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I just immediately signed my last 2-3 without reading them, people were simply flabbergasted. One guy was like "you can get those numbers changed, thats bullshit!!!"

I really couldn't figure out why it mattered though. Like I'm going to submit NCOERs to a job or something lol. My career ended when they told me I couldn't reenlist unless I converted to 79R. Suck my dick, chemical sucks, but no way was I going to spend 10+ years in USAREC.

Sad thing is I have no doubt I would have gotten E7 on my first look in either MOS. Probably would have retired an E8 but oh loving well. Not worth it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

They didn't give her the boot after 2?

Nope. She made it to 13 before she called on all the favors she had ran out. She got a waiver or a letter from the same O6 twice before she was like "you are a waste of dna." And booted her. Last I heard she tried to go reserves so she could pin MAJ.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Don't care much. It's a fine example of how you work hard and get poo poo on after.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

^^^ this

Who cares about your NC/OERs?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have one that's like 16 months overdue or something. Neither the rater or senior rater has any incentive to fix it, and I don't have any real incentive to care.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The small business textbook from ACAP is pretty good tbh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

because of the way navy does rankings i was able to help all the rest of the O2s at the squadron by being low enough that he could put a few people higher and not screw up the average.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
On a similar topic, I really don't understand ETS awards. Like, when I'm getting out, I don't want to have to stand around for another god damned award ceremony just to throw it away in a few weeks. Do career army people think that we wear our ASUs to civilian job interviews? Or we hand out ribbon racks to potential employers with our phone numbers on them?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

On a similar topic, I really don't understand ETS awards. Like, when I'm getting out, I don't want to have to stand around for another god damned award ceremony just to throw it away in a few weeks. Do career army people think that we wear our ASUs to civilian job interviews? Or we hand out ribbon racks to potential employers with our phone numbers on them?

Meh, if you don't care about it just tell the clerk to mail you the 638 and don't worry about anything else.

ETS/service awards are nice though. That is the only medal some Soldiers will ever get and they're proud of it (which is fine).

I will, on occasion, call a young/new Soldier's mom/dad/whatever and tell them how fine their young man/woman is doing and that they should be proud etc. It may not seem like a big deal to us cool cats, but to some people it's the only recognition/proud moment they'll have in their lives before going to work at the plant.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Never posting a bit-

Vasudus posted:

It took me about six months once the paperwork actually got to where it had to be. Then I got the VA's chunk of it about a month after the fact. This was about 18 months ago maybe, so it might be different now.
How long after your approval letter until you got paid? How long until your back pay?

Transcript chat- you know how at the bottom of your Army transcript it has any other duty positions you were assigned to, but not MOS Q'd for listed? Like I was an 11B but assigned as an MP, so it lists MP and had some line like, "Please evaluate for credits in this subject." According to that, I was a Drill Sergeant. Which is pretty impressive, since I got out as an E4.

ACAP- I said I had ACAP everyday for like three weeks. Used it as makeshift pass/terminal leave stand in. Never went to a single class. poo poo ruled.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
ACAP can start when you're a year out from your ETS date, correct?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Aranan posted:

ACAP can start when you're a year out from your ETS date, correct?

I killed a lot of brain cells since June, but I vaguely remember hearing about there being changes which potentially pushed it out to being able to start 18 months before and not 12.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I killed a lot of brain cells since June, but I vaguely remember hearing about there being changes which potentially pushed it out to being able to start 18 months before and not 12.

Yeah, it's at 18 months. They also offer a variety of different classes you can sign up for, like Six Sigma, CDL classes, etc.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Time to get busy!

Also, post wide lock down for an active shooter exercise turned into a post wide lock down for an actual shooter today. Turns out there wasn't a real shooter, but it sounds like someone didn't get the memo and freaked out during the training and reported it as real or something. All I know is its 1400 and I haven't eaten today and I am hungry.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Time to get busy!

Also, post wide lock down for an active shooter exercise turned into a post wide lock down for an actual shooter today. Turns out there wasn't a real shooter, but it sounds like someone didn't get the memo and freaked out during the training and reported it as real or something. All I know is its 1400 and I haven't eaten today and I am hungry.

What kind of Soldier doesn't have pogey bait in his desk/car/cargo pocket?

You are a no go at this station.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Aranan posted:

This is a semi-sore spot and a spot of hilarity.

ETS awards are essentially the same as a PCS award because you cannot receive an award for something you have gotten an award for previously. Which means that even though you are ETSing, you can't get an award highlighting the entirety of your career because you've already gotten an award for it.

I know this because I had to write my own, as usual, and I put myself in for a MSM. I was then laughed at. I still heard the laughter 30 minutes later.

edit: and yeah, you can start ACAPing at 18 months. The best case scenario is (if you want to get a job) volunteer as an intern for a federal company like the Division of Forestry or whatever. They'll let you intern there while you are in the military, and when you get out of the military there's essentially a job waiting for you.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 24, 2016

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

What kind of Soldier doesn't have pogey bait in his desk/car/cargo pocket?

You are a no go at this station.

I was in ASUs for a promotion board and emptied my pockets to look professional. :( I actually had pogey bait in my assault pack and my ACUs, but those were both in my car. I learned today, though... I think I'll put an individual piece of jerky in every ASU pocket so it's not noticeable, but still provides me sustenance through emergencies.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm going to go ahead and say it: If you use the term "pogey bait" you are dangerously close to being an army dick sucking douche. They're called snacks!

Other indicators that "You might be a try hard if..":

- you use any variation of "stay in your lane"
-you ever said that you "took a HEAT round for someone"
-uttered the term "pogey bait"
-used the term "snivel gear"
-you have ever said "allow me to caveat off that sir"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
caveat my dick from the back

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
^^

My favorite "army" saying is definitely "suck my dick from the back."

I've never even heard of the HEAT round one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Stay in your lane is used outside the military. Though granted its very occasional and not every loving hour for whatever reason.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I was in ASUs for a promotion board and emptied my pockets to look professional. :( I actually had pogey bait in my assault pack and my ACUs, but those were both in my car. I learned today, though... I think I'll put an individual piece of jerky in every ASU pocket so it's not noticeable, but still provides me sustenance through emergencies.

I carry a bottle of hot sauce in my ASU pocket. But I guess that wouldn't help too much in your situation.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: If you use the term "pogey bait" you are dangerously close to being an army dick sucking douche. They're called snacks!

What ever, hippie.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
quoting any line from the NCO Creed to prove a point - go gently caress yourself

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
space toaster you know I love you man

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'IM JUST UNREASONABLY MAD ABOUT ARMY CATCHPHRASES

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'IM JUST UNREASONABLY MAD ABOUT ARMY CATCHPHRASES

we get it, tracking like a TOW

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

drat i havent heard that one for awhile

also heard tracking like a "javelin" and "like a dragon" from some really oldschool dudes.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Coming out of the launcher and immediately nosediving 50m downrange, got it.

Edit: I used feet instead of meters, STOLEN VALOR

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 24, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

High speed low drag.

The only one I ever liked was "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Cause damned if it isn't accurate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

space toaster you know I love you man

That's as messed up as a football bat.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Buncha soup sammiches

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Here's a special brand of retarded courtesy of the 101st:

glide path

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Zeris posted:

glide path

gently caress... gently caress

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeris posted:

glide path

Never heard this one once air assault. You made it up stands alone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zeris posted:

glide path

This must be a recent nugget, because I don't remember it from ten years ago.

It is possible that I've smoked that memory out of existence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
comma however...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm so short I could parachute off of a dime.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Soulex posted:

High speed low drag.

The only one I ever liked was "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Cause damned if it isn't accurate.

This isn't an army phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I always prefer to say "I'm not high speed, I'm not low speed. I'm like a Tomahawk locked on target. Medium speed and under the loving radar."

• Locked thread