Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Can anybody give me any tips to keeping the 'council wants more power' faction happy?

I'm playing as the byzantines and have already fought eight civil wars over council power with another one brewing at 114% strength. I even changed the laws several times so they can vote on everything but handing out titles (because gently caress that), but they're still pissed at me almost 24/7.

So what do I do here? Do I fight my way into dissolving the council completely? Do I give them full power? Do I just put up with about two civil wars every ruler?

As it is I spend most of my time sending my chancellor and spymaster out to charm and blackmail everyone out of the biggest factions and the rest of the time muttering "oh gently caress off" at my computer screen as the faction warning pops up.

And while I'm asking, why do people with positive opinions of me still join major factions against me? In the latest council civil war, the faction leader is +28, most of the others are around +10 to +20, with one at 0, and another at -14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Haha this was a legit urban legend when I was in middle school, probably has happend to someone tho.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Zombiepop posted:

Haha this was a legit urban legend when I was in middle school, probably has happend to someone tho.

It's not an urban legend, it's called anesthesia awareness and the incident rate is one in fifty for general surgery.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

NewMars posted:

It's not an urban legend, it's called anesthesia awareness and the incident rate is one in fifty for general surgery.

One in five hundred.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

NewMars posted:

One in five hundred.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Can anybody give me any tips to keeping the 'council wants more power' faction happy?

I'm playing as the byzantines and have already fought eight civil wars over council power with another one brewing at 114% strength. I even changed the laws several times so they can vote on everything but handing out titles (because gently caress that), but they're still pissed at me almost 24/7.

So what do I do here? Do I fight my way into dissolving the council completely? Do I give them full power? Do I just put up with about two civil wars every ruler?

Get more of them on the council?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 23, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

As it is I spend most of my time sending my chancellor and spymaster out to charm and blackmail everyone out of the biggest factions and the rest of the time muttering "oh gently caress off" at my computer screen as the faction warning pops up.

And while I'm asking, why do people with positive opinions of me still join major factions against me? In the latest council civil war, the faction leader is +28, most of the others are around +10 to +20, with one at 0, and another at -14.

Get stronger than your vassals so that factions are less of a threat, while working to placate the biggest offenders, and keeping enough of a war chest around that you can always stomp a civil war. Also, make sure that any particularly ambitious vassals suffer unfortunate accidents.

To keep vassals out of factions, it's not enough for them to have a positive opinion of you - they need to have a high opinion of you. I think you need to get someone up to 70 opinion of you before they'll drop out of a faction.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

OhGreatAGinger posted:

In Conclave they'll join factions, especially council power factions, all the way up to +60.

Vassals hating you 24/7 and regularly scheduled civil wars are a fact of life that can't really be avoided now short of cheating your character into being a diplomacy god. That was kind of the entire point of Conclave--AI vassals behave more like you would if you were a vassal now.

I find the most important thing is to focus all your attention early in the game to making your own demesne as strong as humanly possible. I used to lean toward filling extra holdings in my demesne with cities (except the capital) but now I go all baronies all the time. Cities don't generate enough income to maintain a lot of mercs unless you're a merchant republic, and you want your raw troop count as high as possible since that's what your AI vassals look at when considering whether to press their faction demand.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

A "Black Death" mechanic that comes by every 100 years or so and wipes out every single unlanded, jobless courtier who doesn't have any claims and never will would be something I'd pay a lot of money for.

It SAYS it does that but in reality the game will only kill your genius sons.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
A karling took the throne of Byzantium in my Armenia game :(

Ps: is there any way to modify a save file to restrict the rights of women again?? I'm playing HIP or whatever that mod is called and it's cool but I guess I accidentally told it to allow women in all councilor positions and it makes improving status of women not as satisfying.

It's a really fun game, and it's funny because my current doux is cool as heck: he's an absent minded attractive genius but he's got hella depression. That's me irl

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had a game where the German emperor inherited the throne of Byzantium in the 1230s. It lasted about a month before the entire East rebelled and went independent again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I can't start a vote on an increase in tribal authority until September 14th 914.

It's November of 914.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

In Conclave they'll join factions, especially council power factions, all the way up to +60.

Vassals hating you 24/7 and regularly scheduled civil wars are a fact of life that can't really be avoided now short of cheating your character into being a diplomacy god. That was kind of the entire point of Conclave--AI vassals behave more like you would if you were a vassal now.

I find the most important thing is to focus all your attention early in the game to making your own demesne as strong as humanly possible. I used to lean toward filling extra holdings in my demesne with cities (except the capital) but now I go all baronies all the time. Cities don't generate enough income to maintain a lot of mercs unless you're a merchant republic, and you want your raw troop count as high as possible since that's what your AI vassals look at when considering whether to press their faction demand.

Yeah that's what I'm doing really, my demesne is at max with as many holdings as possible full of baronies that I keep as upgraded as possible, I keep my retinue at max capacity, add in the varangian guard I've got a good 15,000 man army ready to fight for me.

It's not that I can't win the civil wars, I haven't lost one yet, its just that it's getting really tedious to have to fight the same civil war over and over again. I've had six rulers so far, and not one of them has fought less than two civil wars, not even my 22 diplo genius god-king.

I guess what I want is a mod or something that brings down the "I won't declare against my emperor in a civil war because I actually kinda like him" opinion bar a bit so that I can actually prevent a war if I'm a generous and friendly guy who takes the time to make everyone rich in friendship bribes. Or at least make it so that the faction that wants to give the council more power can only be joined or at least led by people that are actually in the council, then the duke of Croatia can focus on civil war goals he should actually give a poo poo about like the future eternal glory of independent Croatia.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Double post whoops

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had a game where the German emperor inherited the throne of Byzantium in the 1230s. It lasted about a month before the entire East rebelled and went independent again.

Thats a thing that definitely could've happened exactly like that IRL

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing really, my demesne is at max with as many holdings as possible full of baronies that I keep as upgraded as possible, I keep my retinue at max capacity, add in the varangian guard I've got a good 15,000 man army ready to fight for me.

It's not that I can't win the civil wars, I haven't lost one yet, its just that it's getting really tedious to have to fight the same civil war over and over again. I've had six rulers so far, and not one of them has fought less than two civil wars, not even my 22 diplo genius god-king.

I guess what I want is a mod or something that brings down the "I won't declare against my emperor in a civil war because I actually kinda like him" opinion bar a bit so that I can actually prevent a war if I'm a generous and friendly guy who takes the time to make everyone rich in friendship bribes. Or at least make it so that the faction that wants to give the council more power can only be joined or at least led by people that are actually in the council, then the duke of Croatia can focus on civil war goals he should actually give a poo poo about like the future eternal glory of independent Croatia.

Start weakening your vassals, then. Depending on the size of your realm it might also be worth handing out kingdoms - it's easier to please one king than six dukes, and now those dukes are scheming against the king instead of you. Or just give the council more power. Honestly, the council is way less frustrating and opaque to deal with than factions are.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vassals that have seats on the council can't join factions, as long as the council can vote on war decs and it's not discontent. Hand out kingdom titles, stick the kings on the council and you'll never have to fight a civil war again (well, maybe the occasional one on succession).

It's actually so powerful a method of neutering your vassals that I'm honestly wondering if powerful, malcontent vassals on weak councils shouldn't resign their seats and refuse appointments so they can push their agendas via the faction system.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Autonomous Monster posted:

Vassals that have seats on the council can't join factions, as long as the council can vote on war decs and it's not discontent. Hand out kingdom titles, stick the kings on the council and you'll never have to fight a civil war again (well, maybe the occasional one on succession).

It's actually so powerful a method of neutering your vassals that I'm honestly wondering if powerful, malcontent vassals on weak councils shouldn't resign their seats and refuse appointments so they can push their agendas via the faction system.

That is a good idea because I'm going to do that so I can stabilize my Norse empire and get some money up to begin the slow conversion to MR/ feudal

Not sure which yet. Gonna make a save when I have the absolute tribal law so I can try out both.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

The trouble is that the advisor slots are fine when you're an emperor and who cares about the court chaplain but the other four council positions you really really want someone who is actually good at the job and oftentimes those kings will be terrible people who suck at everything. I'd rather have an extra malcontent vassal and a Steward with 17 Stewardship than a content vassal Steward with 8 Stewardship, most of the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Take matters into your own hands. Get stabbing so that the guy with godly stewardship who's third in line for a kingdom ends up inheriting.

Never give a vassal the spymaster post though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How the hell are you having problems with your vassals when you're the drat Byzantines outside of succession? Look at the biggest fucker annoying you, revoke his duchy, then imprison his idiot rear end when he rebels while you have your retinue and Varangian guard atop of his capital. Or if he gives it up, make another count of that duchy the overlord for now or make someone a double-duke that likes you. Work your way down the list of faction members until all the malcontents are rotting in prison, powerless or dead.

Also, land your dynasty for ally-fodder; distant ones preferably. Once you have enough for a decent kingdom, release it and ally. The Carpathian Empire with every single country of your dynasty is a potent tool against assholes that isn't your problem. You can do it with the hordes too, (and this is simpler and safer) those fuckers have been nerfed enough and you make enough money as the Byzantines that you can bother with rebuilding the steppes, though getting a tribal vassal to feed those lands can be better; though these won't be of your dynasty most of the time.

I guess also if you want you could be using your spymaster to blackmail dudes out of factions, it's not like you need to be stealing tech.

Edit: Also, there should be some deterrence to blinding and gelding dudes, same as with releasing prisoners.

"+10 opinion: I see eye to eye with the Emperor"
"+20 opinion: I like my junk attached so I'm not gonna this dude off"

or not, I guess. Still, the options seem to thus far solely be to gently caress over your spymaster after he gets caught stealing tech

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 24, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The trouble is that the advisor slots are fine when you're an emperor and who cares about the court chaplain but the other four council positions you really really want someone who is actually good at the job and oftentimes those kings will be terrible people who suck at everything. I'd rather have an extra malcontent vassal and a Steward with 17 Stewardship than a content vassal Steward with 8 Stewardship, most of the time.

With feudal taxes now being the default, a high stewardship guy is a lot less valuable right now. I'm usually swimming in money.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635776529
:yikes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

:unsmigghh:

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Not even a mention of rape? What a filthy casual :agesilaus:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'll look into it.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So here's a neat new event:

One of my vassals trained three of my commanders (one of them being my heir), granting them all the "Inspiring Leader" leadership trait, in return for a favor.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm finally able to reinstall CK2, and was going to buy Conclave. But the reviews look terrible - Is it as bad as it looks?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Most of it is targeted at the patch, not the DLC itself.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Automated Posting posted:

One of my vassals trained three of my commanders (one of them being my heir), granting them all the "Inspiring Leader" leadership trait, in return for a favor.

Oh man that's neat.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Green Wing posted:

I'm finally able to reinstall CK2, and was going to buy Conclave. But the reviews look terrible - Is it as bad as it looks?

Every steam review of a CK2 expansion is terrible because they're all written by people mad about things that changed, it's basically worthless to look at them.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Ech, I'll buy it (I think I was always going to buy it :smith:)

Is CK2+ good these days? I'm one of those ghastly "play like I'm roleplaying" types.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Automated Posting posted:

I got similar events I believe tied to the Groom an Heir ambition. Various courtiers and vassals offered to train my son in different skills in return for a favor.

It was a great boost for him. Unfortunately for me I now owe a bunch of favors which keep getting used to kick my powerful vassals off the council in favor of themselves. :mad:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Green Wing posted:

Ech, I'll buy it (I think I was always going to buy it :smith:)

Is CK2+ good these days? I'm one of those ghastly "play like I'm roleplaying" types.

It's updated so you can take it for a spin.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'll let other people speak to whether it's good right now (I would be biased since I help out a bit with it) but I wouldn't start any long games you're not prepared to toss out - the next update is going to break saves (among other things, we're removing a few provinces and rearranging a few others) and is likely to be released within the next week or two unless something goes horribly awry in testing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Green Wing posted:

Conclave is my favourite expansion since... I don't even know. Old Gods?

Conclave is good, buy it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Basically, the faction system made all these dumb little vassal rebellions a thousand times better, the council system likewise significantly improves the faction system AND makes realm management more engaging. It's a great DLC.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's been a few expansion packs since I played this game, and with all of these new mechanics I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Is 1066 Ireland still Tutorial Island or is there a better/easier start to ease back in?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

1066 Ireland is still Tutorial Island, if you're playing Catholic. It really depends what religion/culture you want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If your idea of a fun time in CK2 is amassing as much land as possible as quickly as possible, Conclave will noticeably make your game less fun.

• Locked thread