Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They made some great multiplayer games but for some reason you need a 500+ dollar setup to use controllers with less buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think it's pretty rude for someone to take photos of a classified prototype and post it on the internet. It's not like Nintendo is dealing with state secrets, they're just working on some new entertainment stuff and someone's gotta go and share their secrets so everyone else can get so mad about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Monkey Fracas posted:

yikes

no face buttons; WTF man

WTF

There are face buttons you just can't see them in this picture. Also, they might just be displayed on the screen instead of actually being physical, it was hard to tell on the other pic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

This reminds me of that huge Smash Bros leak. Nintendo needs to work on that corporate security.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
remember the ps3 boomerang controller

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

There are face buttons you just can't see them in this picture. Also, they might just be displayed on the screen instead of actually being physical, it was hard to tell on the other pic.

All the things I saw that were posted earlier seemed to imply that there were no face buttons, but that since the whole thing was a touch screen, every game could put touch buttons wherever it wanted. Cause that's a great idea.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

How can there be physical buttons on the face, looks pretty smooth to me in both shots

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
capacitive touch screen buttons are a super great idea; hope you don't have long nails fucker!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lady Naga posted:

remember the ps3 boomerang controller

Yeah, but Sony showed that off on their own. Then they made the right decision and walked the design right back to the Dual Shock. I would argue that this is at least a little bit different, but good memory!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The real travesty is not being able to use Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker HD.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's fake because of the no buttons. That looks like someone slid an iPhone into an oval shell

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, but Sony showed that off on their own. Then they made the right decision and walked the design right back to the Dual Shock. I would argue that this is at least a little bit different, but good memory!

I wasn't trying to make any kind of point I just wanted to point it out now that we're talking about weird pre-production console hardware because it was funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

capacitive touch screen buttons are a super great idea; hope you don't have long nails fucker!

Also just having buttons in different places for different games, and not being able to identify the buttons by touch means that muscle-memory button association will be a thing of the past.

Also I can't imagine a position it would be comfortable to play looking down at the middle of my controller. But I don't do a lot of portable gaming , so w/e.

But seriously all the portable gaming I've done has the screen above my hands.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Snak posted:

No seriously. Couldn't you hook up multiple GBA's to a gamecube? How is the Wii U a step back? How is there not Wii U Advance Wars?

The GBAs were connected by a cable, they weren't transmitting a 480p, 60FPS, superlow latency video feed over wireless.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
the CONFIDENTIAL PROPERTY sticker does look a little goofy

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Snak posted:

Also just having buttons in different places for different games, and not being able to identify the buttons by touch means that muscle-memory button association will be a thing of the past.

Also I can't imagine a position it would be comfortable to play looking down at the middle of my controller. But I don't do a lot of portable gaming , so w/e.

But seriously all the portable gaming I've done has the screen above my hands.

the vita is cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

How can there be physical buttons on the face, looks pretty smooth to me in both shots

Stux posted:

this image in 2020 will be titled: "looking back on nintendo's last console"

This is the picture I was referencing. The visible B button on this one looks like it has a ring around it that might indicate a physical button, albeit a shallow one. It's hard to tell though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
there are no physical buttons, it was stated in the design doc that there were no physical buttons

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Normal person playing Chrono Trigger: Ah, the frog's name is Frog. I understand this.

Insane person playing Chrono Trigger: What the gently caress are they calling him "Frog-san" or "Frog-kun," how exactly are they addressing him, I can't figure out from context how the characters relate to and interact with him!

Woolsey for life.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*puts sticker on controller* "DEFINITELY REAL CONTROLLER, DO NOT LEAK*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

there are no physical buttons, it was stated in the design doc that there were no physical buttons

seriously, how are we even having this argument after the loving patent was posted?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
people do not Read The Thread

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
My experience with horrible smartphone keyboards and smartphone emulators has told me that non-physical buttons are the Absolute Worst. This is not a good idea.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lady Naga posted:

I wasn't trying to make any kind of point I just wanted to point it out now that we're talking about weird pre-production console hardware because it was funny.

I gotcha. My snark was unwarranted, but I've been reading through the bad webcomics thread so I'm pretty much broken atm.

Here's some pre-production console software:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO7c_XmesU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I read the threads at the expense of personal success and happiness in my life.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

This is the picture I was referencing. The visible B button on this one looks like it has a ring around it that might indicate a physical button, albeit a shallow one. It's hard to tell though.

Like I dunno man, it looks like there is a grand total of one button that appears the way you describe it and one physical button doesn't make a whole lot of sense either

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I gotcha. My snark was unwarranted, but I've been reading through the bad webcomics thread so I'm pretty much broken atm.

Here's some pre-production console software:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO7c_XmesU

I'm very glad we got FF7 instead of this

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like I dunno man, it looks like there is a grand total of one button that appears the way you describe it and one physical button doesn't make a whole lot of sense either

you don't need to eyeball it because there was already a design doc posted that says there wont be physical buttons

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the forums have been especially lovely lately wrt doubleposting

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's an A button right to the left of the B, it's just harder to see. Like I said, I don't necessarily think there are going to be physical buttons. Just trying to say the "it doesn't have any buttons!" fear doesn't really carry water.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

There's an A button right to the left of the B, it's just harder to see. Like I said, I don't necessarily think there are going to be physical buttons. Just trying to say the "it doesn't have any buttons!" fear doesn't really carry water.

except the design doc that was posted that said it wont have physical buttons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Lady posted:

My experience with horrible smartphone keyboards and smartphone emulators has told me that non-physical buttons are the Absolute Worst. This is not a good idea.

I do not believe Nintendo will release a system without physical buttons, and if they do, the terrorists have won

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
goshdarnit Nintendo if you make a console with no physical buttons that would be kinda hosed up

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

except the design doc that was posted that said it wont have physical buttons

Dude, sometimes things change between initial patents and final product. Regardless, you're being extremely obnoxious and your point has been ground into the dirt after you said it like six times.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I think it's fake because it doesn't look comfortable at all to hold. Nintendo's been pretty good at designing controllers that are fairly comfy, even if they sometimes look like alien dildos

Please enjoy this really high res photo of one.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
non physical buttons still aren't as bad as non physical joysticks or dpads so its a lesser of two evils

PantsBandit posted:

Dude, sometimes things change between initial patents and final product. Regardless, you're being extremely obnoxious and your point has been ground into the dirt after you said it like six times.
it's obnoxious to keep debating about whether or not the designs we've seen have physical buttons or not considering we already have a piece of paper that says they do not. you're the one still trying to argue based on ridiculous eyeballing lmao

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Is it gonna have shoulder buttons, at least?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got the first two lego batmans, i will play them after adventures of pip and half minute hero 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Electric Lady posted:

Is it gonna have shoulder buttons, at least?
there are shoulder buttons that click and are also scroll wheels

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Ok I see the shoulder buttons, thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a SHMUP thread in Games.

• Locked thread