Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Reuters TV app is so awesome. I think this is going to become my go-to news ... thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got the new Apple TV because Best Buy had it for $25 off. What cool poo poo should I do now.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sideload provenance and get a game pad

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got the new Apple TV because Best Buy had it for $25 off. What cool poo poo should I do now.

Join a sociopathic internet forum, find the appletv thread and sperg-bitch about poo poo most people give no fucks about

And get the plex app.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 22, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EngineerJoe posted:

Sideload provenance and get a game pad

Is there a good write up to this anywhere? I used to have a chipped Xbox with CoinOps installed and intrigued if this is a nice replacement. Think the other half would dig it too. I've found a guide for installing etc but just more information at what it's good at, what it fails at would be useful.

E: while I'm here, is Kodi worth a side load currently? I use Plex, but have a few addons in Kodi that would be useful if stable.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 22, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does this work on tvOS? http://8bitdo.com/nes30pro/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So does the new update only work with Apple branded keyboards, or could I link up my old iPad Air logitech keyboard via bluetooth and use it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

An article from last year says it's not an MFI controller, so no.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My experience with Provenance and an MFi controller was just enough of an input delay to make it not fun for platformers. The thread on Provenance's project page shows that it's pretty widespread. Maybe it's better with the latest tvOS update.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

So does the new update only work with Apple branded keyboards, or could I link up my old iPad Air logitech keyboard via bluetooth and use it?

In theory, any bluetooth keyboard should work.

EngineerJoe posted:

Why do all the other platforms get the standard youtube app and AppleTV gets this aborted rat fetus?

I get the feeling that Google put in just enough effort to port their old AppleTV app to tvOS and then called it a day. Aside from a couple of bugfix updates, it hasn't received any significant updates. It doesn't even have that "Top Drawer" thing for when it's in the top row. It's still just a weird static image.

So par for the course for Google apps in iOS.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

An article from last year says it's not an MFI controller, so no.

Now that AppleTV has bluetooth keyboard support, the controller would now work in iCade mode (since iCade works by bluetooth keyboard inputs). However, iCade support's been broken in Provenance for a while now, as in it causes it to crash horribly. Assuming that they fix that, it should work... eventually. I would stick to MFi controllers for now until that issue is fixed.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a good write up to this anywhere? I used to have a chipped Xbox with CoinOps installed and intrigued if this is a nice replacement. Think the other half would dig it too. I've found a guide for installing etc but just more information at what it's good at, what it fails at would be useful.

A decent writeup:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

Note that you have to set the BundleIDs on Provenance, ProvenanceTV and TopShelf. Forget any of them and the build will fail. Also, don't forget to set it to Release mode, not debug mode, when you build, otherwise performance will be poo poo.

NES emulation seems to work well enough in release mode, but SNES emulation has always had bad audio. Go play FF3, or Mega Man X, all the trumnpet-y sounding instruments have awful warbles or hitching, even though the game plays fine in release mode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that info, sounds like we're back to mid 90s quality emulation for now! Hopefully it's something that'll be nicely resolved in time. I bought a 64gb ATV so would be nice to use the space for something.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for that info, sounds like we're back to mid 90s quality emulation for now! Hopefully it's something that'll be nicely resolved in time. I bought a 64gb ATV so would be nice to use the space for something.

I honestly don't know how the dev hasn't heard it unless he never plays on AppleTV and only uses phones. Or unless I did something wrong. If I had a way of recording HDMI I'd show it to them, but I don't.

Try sideloading it, play FF3 and try to get through Narshe. The warbling in the trumpets just kills it for me. If you're using some of the MFi controllers, the lack of buttons for SNES means they put start/select on the secondary shoulder buttons, making accidental presses more frequent. This is more a fault of the controller layouts for MFi, though, because they lack traditional start/select buttons and there's nowhere else for the functions to go. Once the iCade controllers are back, that can be ignored.

Otherwise, I find it to be a perfectly decent emulator. I'm kind of annoyed at the SNES music problems because half the reason for me getting the new ATV was for Provenance.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 22, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Q: Does the audio actually work if you AirPlay a video podcast at >1x speed to the new AppleTV from the Apple Podcasts app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it just customary for every app on the system to get a bad rating? I just grabbed the 2* Zillow app and while it's not the greatest thing ever, it's nice to be able to look through properties on a big screen with my partner rather than huddled around a laptop or both on our phones. Do people just have crazy expectations or something?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it just customary for every app on the system to get a bad rating? I just grabbed the 2* Zillow app and while it's not the greatest thing ever, it's nice to be able to look through properties on a big screen with my partner rather than huddled around a laptop or both on our phones. Do people just have crazy expectations or something?

I imagine people give even less of a poo poo about rating TV apps than phone apps, and usually the stuff that gets people to give enough of a poo poo is negative.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm considering moving to an Apple TV. I'm just not sure if it will fit the idea I have.

Basically, I need Plex, Twitch, Netflix, WWE Network. I'd like to have maybe Google Play in there as well.

I know search queries anything that uses the API so if I bought movies from Apple or Google Play, I'd find them in there along with Plex. Is that correct? I don't care about it bringing up anything for Twitch or WWE. The rest, I'd like to have searchable so I can find movies I own.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
First off:
Plex - Yes
Twitch - No but some workarounds exist
Netflix - Yes
WWE - Yes
Google Play - No and likely never

Plex has to update to support the Siri search API. It hasn't yet done that so you can't search your own media (unless you bought them from iTunes or they are available in a streaming service you already subscribe to).

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thwomp posted:

First off:
Plex - Yes
Twitch - No but some workarounds exist
Netflix - Yes
WWE - Yes
Google Play - No and likely never

Plex has to update to support the Siri search API. It hasn't yet done that so you can't search your own media (unless you bought them from iTunes or they are available in a streaming service you already subscribe to).

Hm. I could live with only iTunes for buying stuff if there's occasional sales and let Plex update eventually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am still holding out hope for Google Play/Google Play Music on ATV, just something like on iOS that will let you play content but not buy it on the device.

A Sonos app would be nice too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The search API is really good, I have a few things that use it like Netflix and HBO (I think the latter) and it's neat that the integrated system is happy to point out I can watch things for free that Apple sell.

I'm not sooo concerned with it for Plex personally because I know what's in my library and I tend to use Search to find ways of watching things, as opposed to a shortcut to something.

The Plex app is really nice imo. WWE Network is fiiiiine (in the 'OK' sense), it could do with being rewritten for TvOS like a lot of apps, but it works decently enough for the most part.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

priznat posted:

I am still holding out hope for Google Play/Google Play Music on ATV, just something like on iOS that will let you play content but not buy it on the device.

If you're talking about movies and TV shows purchased from Google Play, you can access all of that from the YouTube app on the Apple TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

If you're talking about movies and TV shows purchased from Google Play, you can access all of that from the YouTube app on the Apple TV.

:psyboom: I had no idea that was a thing! I do the occasional 99c rental on google play but just used airplay.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

priznat posted:

:psyboom: I had no idea that was a thing! I do the occasional 99c rental on google play but just used airplay.

I don't think it's organized very well if you have a lot of purchases, though. I'm not sure, I don't really use it. But I have a few movies on Google Play that I got through random free promotions, and they're available under "Purchases" in the "My YouTube" section.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even though there's nothing to do with it yet, a jailbreak for tvOS 9.0/9.01 exists. Though it requires a USB-C cable, a Mac, xcode, and a paid apple developer account. So yeah.

How does slideloading work on the AppleTV if a jailbreak didn't exist until now?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Thwomp posted:

Even though there's nothing to do with it yet, a jailbreak for tvOS 9.0/9.01 exists. Though it requires a USB-C cable, a Mac, xcode, and a paid apple developer account. So yeah.

How does slideloading work on the AppleTV if a jailbreak didn't exist until now?

You can self-sign your own apps with a free certificate. So long as you have a Mac with XCode and a USB A-to-C cable you can sideload anything you can successfully compile from source on your own Mac. Basically as if you were an app developer using it as a test unit.

This is also true of iPhones and iPads. I think Apple made this change in iOS 9.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Good to know. Updated the OP FAQ with that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Irritated Goat posted:

Basically, I need Plex, Twitch, Netflix, WWE Network. I'd like to have maybe Google Play in there as well.

I know search queries anything that uses the API so if I bought movies from Apple or Google Play, I'd find them in there along with Plex. Is that correct? I don't care about it bringing up anything for Twitch or WWE. The rest, I'd like to have searchable so I can find movies I own.

Do you own an iPhone/iPad and are okay doing Chromecast-style forwarding to a device? Because Twitch's iOS app works with Airplay, but they served the guy who made the one decent remote-driven app with a takedown notice. Don't know why, there's a ton of third party apps on Android as well as one that existed on Roku before they made one.

If you must browse Twitch channels with a remote, if you went Amazon they have a very nice Plex app that's maybe a little prettier than the ATV one, the nicest WWE Network app I've ever seen (including chapter marks where matches begin and end), and an official Twitch app. Hope you don't plan on watching YouTube, though, because their YouTube support is awful.

You're not going to find Google Play on anything other than Android TV and Roku. While apps on Android TV are essentially the same design as they are on Fire except with more YouTube and Google Play support, the only problem with Android TV is that Google farted out the Nexus Player and then forgot about the entire thing yet again as they do with 30% of their projects.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

priznat posted:

My wishlist after having owned the ATV4 for a month is:

Better Youtube experience (needs to be easier to find the latest videos from subscribed channels)
Sonos app
Plex improvements, random buffering that takes 30 seconds isn't acceptable when my Samsung TV's plex app has no lag playing the same video.
Twitch would certainly be a nice to have.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Plex improvements, random buffering that takes 30 seconds isn't acceptable when my Samsung TV's plex app has no lag playing the same video.

I have had the exact opposite experience here. I will get random hitches and buffering when using Plex on the PS4 or Xbox One, but it plays flawlessly from the ATV every time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

tofes posted:

The AppleTV remote would be perfect for Amazon Video

Amazon :bahgawd:

canyonero posted:

The keyboard stuff is dumb, but if I have to enter more than a few character, I just use the Remote app and it's been fine.

But it's just a glorified Plex and Macbook mirroring tool for me so far. I hope Sling TV or PS Vue apps come out for it soon.

If we ever get PlayStation Vue and Amazon Video apps, I would literally have no reason to ever switch inputs away from the AppleTV.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Vince MechMahon posted:

I have had the exact opposite experience here. I will get random hitches and buffering when using Plex on the PS4 or Xbox One, but it plays flawlessly from the ATV every time.

PS4 needs to transcode more often and the Apple TV can play almost anything direct so your server might be bogging down trying to transcode...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What is the point of a jailbreak if you need to sideload the app the same way you'd sideload apps we'd usually need a jailbreak for? Confusing sentence, but I think I got my point across.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think I've found an odd bug in TvOS. Am running the latest version.

I connect to the router via DHCP and wireless with a manual DNS in place for geographical reasons. I took the unit to a place im staying at which I've not used it at before but has the same AT&T U-Verse router and it point blank refused to connect. I notice in the general network settings everything is N/A except the DNS entry.

I manage to get it to connect to my phone as a personal hotspot, changed the DNS back to Automatic, disconnected and got on the new router first time.

In other news, dictating the password is pretty cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Maybe it depends on the setup, but why would you want / need / use a Sonos app for the Apple TV? My remote handles my sound bar level if I need it too, and I would rather group speakers and change levels from my phone or iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe it depends on the setup, but why would you want / need / use a Sonos app for the Apple TV? My remote handles my sound bar level if I need it too, and I would rather group speakers and change levels from my phone or iPad.

Just another means to control. If they could integrate Siri powered search I might actually use it a lot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I don't neeeeeeed the Sonos app on the TV, but it would be a definite nice to have. I could see it being useful as a party music control/screensaver/album art displayer.

And like Marty says, Siri would be very cool on it.

Hell I just want siri on all 3rd party apps on tvOS and iOS, dammit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

PS4 needs to transcode more often and the Apple TV can play almost anything direct so your server might be bogging down trying to transcode...

I kind of doubt this, as I use my PC as my server and it's a $1,200 rig with a 3.0ghz i7 in it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A $1,200 rig you say? Well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

I'd love a Sonos app but it would probably just be for control and not play music itself which would not be super useful.