Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

How is googling it not learning it? I don't mean just Google up an answer without thinking about it, but I'd bet you can find all the info you need to begin formulating a plan in an hour or 2 of research, and then the details specific to your org to get everything set up.

I think the poster may be meaning proactive learning vs reactive learning. I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://twitter.com/DeptofDefense/status/712656632010944513

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

lol at poor-form aiming and missing the first shot. Should have googled 'Sight Aiming with Rifles'

not-lol at 'cybersecurity' encompassing sweet nonbalistic rifles, gotta get me one of those jobs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hey look, the acquisition corps buys the weapons, but they don't really learn to use them, okay?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

RFC2324 posted:

How is googling it not learning it? I don't mean just Google up an answer without thinking about it, but I'd bet you can find all the info you need to begin formulating a plan in an hour or 2 of research, and then the details specific to your org to get everything set up.

Usually people google things within the context of whatever it is they're trying to do and often they end up searching for the wrong solution. Then you end up with poo poo like an /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd file being distributed to a couple dozen servers from git versus just using LDAP because you haven't actually learned anything but how to do a task which may not even be the right task.

A DR plan is a perfect example where someone might google for ways to failover all of the servers to a remote location and get all the backups in order and do everything right with the servers. Then come to find out that none of the network plumbing is there, nobody bothered to come up with alternative workspaces, zero planning was done for communications/telco, nobody could figure out how to find anyone when poo poo hit the fan or a myriad of other things.

Though you could have someone get lucky and google 'how to dr plan' and get a couple decent starting points.

Maybe I'm just tired of people depending on google to do their thinking for them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

Put another way, "You don't need to actually know anything, you just need to learn everything that you have to know!"

I mean, yeah, sysadmins tend to lazy-load a lot of information due to the pace that any theoretical grounding goes out of date, but I think a lot of us enjoy autodidacticism so much that we forget how much work it actually took to learn all this stuff.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it's more the point that sydadmins can be entirely self taught based on what comes up. Need to do dr? Look up plans that are out there, find a template on Google, apply it to the business model you're in. There's no previous experience required. You don't need to be trained in anything dr related to come up with a good dr plan, and that applies to just about everything in the field.

Would any of us be able to do our job without search engines giving 90% of the answers we need?
People need to look harder at the soft skills that need to be developed to be successful at anything, and realize what a reductio ad absurdum this whole philosophy is. You don't need any training to do benefits, or payroll, or sales, or customer retention! Just Google it! Google how to be a good manager! Google how to be a teacher in a juvenile prison!

Even for the specific DR/BC example, even with managers handling the high-level SLA/RTO/RPO stuff, there's a lot of engineering work that has to go into each application that requires some level of subject matter expertise. For this application, what's the behavior under a partial failure like a network partition? What's the right way to back this up? How do we test those backups? How do we do full DR tests as non-disruptively as possible? How do we deal with potential corruption? You're not gonna put a non-technical manager on these questions.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vulture Culture posted:

I mean, yeah, sysadmins tend to lazy-load a lot of information due to the pace that any theoretical grounding goes out of date, but I think a lot of us enjoy autodidacticism so much that we forget how much work it actually took to learn all this stuff.

Yeah, Ok I can see this point.

A buddy of mine wanted to get into IT so I directed him towards the N+ exam books. He says he's read the first 6 chapters half a dozen times, then has to start over because he's not understanding any of it. He would not be able to googlefu his way through a sysadmin job.

I'm definitely taking my background knowledge and ability to understand technology for granted when saying I'm simply a google expert when it comes to powershell scripting or group policy implementations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

You're not gonna put a non-technical manager on these questions.

The company I used to work for did put a non-technical manager on top of every IT team. Preferably people with Liberal Arts or Philosophy degrees. Because: "a good manager doesn't need to be a SME".

Needless to say these people were responsible for taking every technical decision and a lot of them made choices based on their professional opinions (based on nothing).

Mind you this was a billion dollar annual profit company. they're laying off 15% of their employees for the 3rd year in a row now

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

The company I used to work for did put a non-technical manager on top of every IT team. Preferably people with Liberal Arts or Philosophy degrees. Because: "a good manager doesn't need to be a SME".

Needless to say these people were responsible for taking every technical decision and a lot of them made choices based on their professional opinions (based on nothing).

Mind you this was a billion dollar annual profit company. they're laying off 15% of their employees for the 3rd year in a row now

Actually that's true, good managers don't need to be subject matter experts. They do, however, have to know when to call on subject matter experts (who have people skills) to explain complex technical ideas in certain meetings.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

Actually that's true, good managers don't need to be subject matter experts. They do, however, have to know when to call on subject matter experts (who have people skills) to explain complex technical ideas in certain meetings.

Managers in general shouldn't be SMEs. Knowing you need servers (or the cloud) to host applications would be nice though.

I only wish I was kidding about that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Tonight's maintenance period brought to you by Remote Desktop Connection Manager.

Because, it's about drat time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A VIP found a 3.2GB IDE hard drive made in 1996, with a case that must had been stepped on or something, as the platters were exposed to air. They believed that it had some sensitive information...

...and wanted it to destroyed just to be 100% certain that it could never be recovered.

Did the needful. Somehow I'd never opened up a hard drive before; that was fun. (Yes I know it was basically unrecoverable the moment it was exposed to air, and yes we have a shredder on-site, but I got to spend 5 minutes prying platters into strange shapes so :shrug: .)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lest those Microsoft Works spreadsheets from 20 years ago fall into the wrong hands.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

That was really anticlimactic. Especially considering the amount of important looking portraits on the walls.

I bet the guy with the remote just turned it off when he realized she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Quick thinking.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

If your problems are solvable by Google your problems are boring.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

CLAM DOWN posted:

My "sysadmin" job has changed into more of an architect role over the years so I'm involved in the BCP/DR planning and holy god I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

It's great fun that DR planning meetings basically become 95% talking about technical solutions and 5% bullshitting, so not only do I get suckered into writing the thing but nobody else has any input at all about their department or organising things in general that do not consist of computers?

It gets boring being the sole tech in the office, no one to bounce ideas off or chat poo poo with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PCjr sidecar posted:

If your problems are solvable by Google your problems are boring.

In my experience, boring is good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yup. Right now in my life I have an easy job that pays well enough without a lot of bullshit and a pretty drat good commute. The market here is decent enough, but I'd have to add 10-15 min to my commute. There's enough going on to keep me here through moving everything to a colo after deploying a new San there, since thats a nice bullet point on the resume.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been talking with that recruiter more and I think I have a shot. Gonna buy me a suit and get back into interview mode. It's for executive support/regular desktop and network stuff. I made sure to ask who gets the white glove treatment and they said only the C-suite guys and maybe every month, with warning, with no travel (no chatting with the pilot for me :smith:). I'd say it's a pretty sweet gig and I'm excited.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

psydude posted:

Actually that's true, good managers don't need to be subject matter experts.

They do need to be SMEs, but their Subject Matter is not "Active Directory" or the like.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I know a guy that is graduating this year with a bachelor's in "network security" and he doesn't know the difference between AES or RSA. :negative:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I know a guy that is graduating this year with a bachelor's in "network security" and he doesn't know the difference between AES or RSA. :negative:

Ugh, why do you bleeding heart liberals always desperately need to involve government agencies? I'm just a net sec guy. GEEZ.

Edit: Forgot :derp:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Passed the MCSA 70-412 today. I am now finally MCSA Server 2012 certified.

Hopefully I can yotj to a good place with a decent salary.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

WGU degree?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

crunk dork posted:

WGU degree?

Newsflash, every school in the country graduates a few idiots during every graduation ceremony.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sickening posted:

Newsflash, every school in the country graduates a few idiots during every graduation ceremony.

no I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat I just finished mine in the same program last week and was curious.

The only two security oriented certifications they make you take are the S+ and CCNA security and I feel like neither of those did a very good job of explaining the difference between different types of encryption or when to use what, unless you did some research on your own. I just kind of expected the program to be more in depth i guess

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

crunk dork posted:

no I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat I just finished mine in the same program last week and was curious.

The only two security oriented certifications they make you take are the S+ and CCNA security and I feel like neither of those did a very good job of explaining the difference between different types of encryption or when to use what, unless you did some research on your own. I just kind of expected the program to be more in depth i guess

Were you taking the specific security focus, or just a generalized IT program?

I attempted their security degree years ago, but I know a lot has changed. It sucked pretty hard then (CEH is a joke), so I just switched to general IT.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Bachelors in "network security". I got my CCNA RS during it and I learned more from that and the Linux+ than any other course during the program. The good thing about the security focused courses was that it spurred an interest and was a decent introduction to a lot of concepts that I hadn't understood or known about before. I think the masters that focuses on security still has the CEH, which turned me off from it. Seems like it would be great for anyone interested in doing government work forever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sefal posted:

Passed the MCSA 70-412 today. I am now finally MCSA Server 2012 certified.

Hopefully I can yotj to a good place with a decent salary.

gently caress yeah man! Congratulations :yotj: that's not a small feat these days.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

crunk dork posted:

WGU degree?

Phoenix :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, at least wasn't DeVry or ITT Tech.

I guess?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A bachelor's degree in any field doesn't really qualify you to be anything more than an entry level person earning more than minimum wage, so I'm not surprised. That includes STEM degrees.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's true. The best value I got from the WGU degree was really all the certs that came with it, and that I was able to work in the field while getting it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have no degree but 15 years of Linux networking experience and 6 as a programmer, 4 of those as a kernel dev and embedded dev.

I did the math and a degree wouldn't help me financially.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

I have no degree but 15 years of Linux networking experience and 6 as a programmer, 4 of those as a kernel dev and embedded dev.

Unless you want to get in to senior management at some point, but that's not for everyone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Unless you want to get in to senior management at some point, but that's not for everyone.

I already am. The trick is to get into a smaller company first, then get into senior management, then move to another company.

After you already had the position then nobody gives a poo poo if you have a degree. :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I'm getting a master's, but that's mostly so I have the option of getting a PHD later once I get bored with normal IT. Financially, it will do almost nothing for me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just got promoted away from my major personnel problems. :yotj: Gonna take a few months for it to really take effect because I need to transition all of my roles and responsibilities, but oh baby oh baby, later bitches.

Honestly, priority one, because this'll also improve work-life balance, is to get back to self-improvement. I've been so busy doing my job for the last 2 years that I haven't had time to learn new things. Feel like I've fallen behind.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I signed up to an ITIL foundation course through theknowledgeacademy.com - It was $250 for the exam and $250 for a course, but it is midnight before I am meant to do the exam and they havent given me any information about how to access their material. I have been able to prepare using other sources, but I need to login for the exam, and they keep saying poo poo like 'We'll send you this information shortly' after being on the phone with them and talking to their live online tech support. I am gonna be out $500 if this poo poo doesn't get sorted :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

drat, my buddy just let me know that the head of IT at his company is opening a sys admin position after being passed my resume. Top 10 best company to work for. Networking is cool and good.