Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Okay, yes, if the WPS would kill without doing the thing I described then absolutely go for it. However, if the WPS isn't going to kill, it's definitely worth stepping outside and attacking from range a bit until you get them down to where it will kill instead of taking the WPS and letting them get up and run around again. It's definitely worth it against The Imprisoned, for instance, since in most of the encounters against him your first WPS isn't going to kill him unless you tack on more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Okay, yes, if the WPS would kill without doing the thing I described then absolutely go for it. However, if the WPS isn't going to kill, it's definitely worth stepping outside and attacking from range a bit until you get them down to where it will kill instead of taking the WPS and letting them get up and run around again. It's definitely worth it against The Imprisoned, for instance, since in most of the encounters against him your first WPS isn't going to kill him unless you tack on more damage.

And the Imprisoned is actually one of the easier bosses to deal with because, despite it's endurance, it's attacks are nothing noteworthy once you get used to them and it's WPG-revealing gimmick is one of the easiest things to do.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Folt The Bolt posted:

And the Imprisoned is actually one of the easier bosses to deal with because, despite it's endurance, it's attacks are nothing noteworthy once you get used to them and it's WPG-revealing gimmick is one of the easiest things to do.

True, he's not hard, which is why it's nice to only have to deal with destroying his toes twice and taking out his weak point gauge once since he's ultimately a big dumb boring thing to fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What on earth are you supposed to do in the square three left from the beginning in the regular adventure map?

It starts off with 3 bombchus with very short trips and 3 messengers who gets reinforcements. Unless I'm missing a "nuke from orbit" button, it's literally impossible to get all of them, and when just a single one of them succeeds the enemy gets a morale boost and destroys the allied base. I just don't understand it, you also need to get a fairy, get a key, get to the keep on the other side of the map and kill the enemy commander and I haven't even gotten halfway through this before our keep gets taken. Hell, it gets taken even if I'm inside of it the entire time. :iiam:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

True, he's not hard, which is why it's nice to only have to deal with destroying his toes twice and taking out his weak point gauge once since he's ultimately a big dumb boring thing to fight.

Except just doing the WPS is significantly faster and easier, especially on higher difficulties because Weak Point Smashing stacks damage against Giant Bosses so long as you don't go out of the WPS circle. Indeed, just doing the WPS when you're able to might take off enough HP so that you're at the final HP stage where all attacks do significantly higher damage against Giant Bosses, meaning you could potentially chip of the rest of the Imprisoned's HP in one go without even needing to get the WPS down.

EDIT:

Your Computer posted:

What on earth are you supposed to do in the square three left from the beginning in the regular adventure map?

It starts off with 3 bombchus with very short trips and 3 messengers who gets reinforcements. Unless I'm missing a "nuke from orbit" button, it's literally impossible to get all of them, and when just a single one of them succeeds the enemy gets a morale boost and destroys the allied base. I just don't understand it, you also need to get a fairy, get a key, get to the keep on the other side of the map and kill the enemy commander and I haven't even gotten halfway through this before our keep gets taken. Hell, it gets taken even if I'm inside of it the entire time. :iiam:

Pay attention to the order the Bombchu's start to move and systematically track them down and destroy them in that order.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'll just agree to disagree then.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Also, anytime The Imprisoned is charging up his lightning strike attack is a golden opportunity to get underneath him and bust some toes because standing underneath The Imprisoned means the lightning strike will miss 100% of the time. The Imprisoned is literally standing there, unable to do anything as you turn it's most dangerous attack into a toe-breaking WPG-revealing freebie.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Weak point smashes on the bosses are obnoxious until you max that tree out, then a lot of characters can break them easily and clean house fast. It's annoying.

Also imprisoned is poo poo and I'm glad they're making him easier to deal with in Legends.

How are they changing him?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tithin posted:

How are they changing him?

From the sound of it, I think they're removing the "automatically gets up at half weakpoint gauge" annoyance.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh good. I hope they also remove the "won't get up from chasing you while horizontal until it hits you" annoyance

alternatively, they can just get rid of the fucker

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

tithin posted:

Oh good. I hope they also remove the "won't get up from chasing you while horizontal until it hits you" annoyance

alternatively, they can just get rid of the fucker

If you dodge him for long enough, he'll get up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Long enough seems to vary wildly and has for me taken up to 45 seconds (i timed it) of constant dodge hopping

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got Agitha so now the game is good again, but I have a question; How do I go about grinding rupees, weapons and/or levels? I'm getting my rear end kicked in a lot of adventure mode spaces and I figure it probably has something to do with my characters being low level and having poo poo badges and weapons. Do I just do the same (easy) adventure mode spaces over and over or is there a better way?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

I finally got Agitha so now the game is good again, but I have a question; How do I go about grinding rupees, weapons and/or levels? I'm getting my rear end kicked in a lot of adventure mode spaces and I figure it probably has something to do with my characters being low level and having poo poo badges and weapons. Do I just do the same (easy) adventure mode spaces over and over or is there a better way?

The best way to grind up your first character to max is probably to take Young Link if you have him and do the bottom left square of the Adventure Mode map repeatedly. I think that's the right square anyway. It's a ten minute Rack Up KOs mission, and Young Link is probably the easiest character to keep Focus Spirit running for the EXP gain boost the entire time thanks to his ability to convert special meter into Focus Spirit meter with the Strong Attack button (the ocarina playing thing). Having EXP+ on your weapon and getting the EXP boosting potion from the Apothecary is also recommended, obviously.

The best way to earn rupees is to repeatedly try for the Max Rupees Glitch until it works, since even if you only get it a couple times a day it still far outpaces the amount of rupees you can earn in any conventional grinding method. All you need is a weapon with Rupees+ on it for a character with the ability to take out a Giant Boss weakpoint gauge and also harm them from outside the WPS halo. I have videos of triggering the glitch with various characters, but the one I recommend in general is Cia for speed of attempts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkIqA1Gjkw

Earning good weapons requires playing the hardest squares on any of the adventure maps, the ones that are highlighted or outlined in red before you unlock their area. The best map for this is the Majora map since that one lets you earn 6 weapons per stage instead of 3. One of the weapons you earn should always be the appropriate rank version of whatever weapon you're using on that stage, so if you want to earn more Link Gauntlets, use Link Gauntlets in stages.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, thanks! Another quick question; what level ranges are you "supposed" to be in for the various maps? So far I've only tried the regular Adventure Map but even there it seems like difficulty varies wildly and I haven't seen any indication of how difficult. There's the red areas that you mentioned, and I've also seen that some maps have a "Level: x" on them but I have no idea what that actually means. :shobon:

e: since I haven't made much headway in Adventure Mode, most of my characters are probably between 1 and 20 with a couple around 30 :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The map that gave people the most trouble by far is probably the Twilight Map. At that time, I think the level cap was 200, and some missions were still hard even at that max level and with good weapons. The Adventure and Master Quest maps were both out when the cap was still 99, but I don't think it's particularly necessary to get characters up to that level to tackle their harder stages. Also, the stages that say like "Level: 1" or whatever is really just an ordering of difficulty of stages that all have the same gimmick or theme, so like the Rack Up KOs level 1 stage is the easiest of the Rack Up KOs stages on that map and the level 9 or whatever is the hardest.

Edit: At the levels you're at, you're best off just playing through levels and progressing normally, really. If you really get stuck, a Rack Up KOs map is generally the fastest way to get some levels, even if it's not the 10 minute one I mentioned before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wow, thanks! Another quick question; what level ranges are you "supposed" to be in for the various maps? So far I've only tried the regular Adventure Map but even there it seems like difficulty varies wildly and I haven't seen any indication of how difficult. There's the red areas that you mentioned, and I've also seen that some maps have a "Level: x" on them but I have no idea what that actually means. :shobon:

Level: x means the map is easier or harder in comparison to other versions/variations of the same mission on the same map. It has nothing to do with the actual level you need to be.

Also, to add to the Young Link thing, the map he's referring to is on the Master Quest Map. If you only have the base game Adventure Maps, you may want to get the True Partners illustration since getting any illustration unlocks a mission for a whole new map in Adventure Mode as a reward, and that mission is the best way to grind if you don't have Master Quest.

(Actually, Rack Up Your KOs missions tend to be really good for grinding low-level characters in general if you don't want to use the Rupee Glitch.)

Once your warriors are high-level, you will want to use the Twilight Map missions that require you to defeat Dark versions of player characters who can split themselves. In fact, since your experience and Apothecary bonus is retained whenever you die as long as you don't quit, you may want to actually "fail" that mission once your character is powerful enough to KO the characters in those missions since it saves on materials and time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Twilight Map leveing method since I didn't really use it much, but that one's really good, too.

Edit: And yeah, Master Quest map for that Rack Up KOs mission, my bad.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 23, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there any actual point to the rewards maps?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Rack Up KOs" maps being the "kill X mooks in Y time" type maps right? I totally have all the DLC even if I've barely played this game, probably because the kid in me is dying of fanservice shock :shobon:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

"Rack Up KOs" maps being the "kill X mooks in Y time" type maps right? I totally have all the DLC even if I've barely played this game, probably because the kid in me is dying of fanservice shock :shobon:

Nah, the Rack Up KOs maps don't end when you hit a certain number of kills, they continue on through their entire timer. I'm pretty sure the game calls them "Rack Up KOs" too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Rack Up KOs is kill as many mooks as you can until timer runs out, which is somewhere around 10 minutes or lower. To help you out with this, you're given lots of chances to activate Focus Spirit which makes you invincible until it runs out and speeds up your attacks. This coupled with the Focus Spirit bonuses (like more EXP) make these maps prime material for levelling up low-level characters and if you die, it's no biggie: You keep the EXP, so it's a simple matter of doing this over and over after each failure until you finally clear them.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

tithin posted:

Is there any actual point to the rewards maps?

One of them is a good levelling map. maybe the others are also good for levelling/material grinding??

E: Apparently HWL is getting bad reviews. If that's true, I can't be happier.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

One of them is a good levelling map. maybe the others are also good for levelling/material grinding??

E: Apparently HWL is getting bad reviews. If that's true, I can't be happier.

It's getting about the same reception as the original Hyrule Warriors i.e. review scores being all over the place. Standard for musou games, actually.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Please do not ruin my day.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

If something like that is enough to ruin your day, then I have no words.

For the record, if you're the type to care about Metacritic scores, the original HW sits at a 75 while HW:Legends sits at present on a 71. It's not that much of a difference and the way Legends's content is set up means that the experience is tailored to take advantage of the strengths of a handheld console anyways. Legends is the game I'm currently hyped about, and I know I'll enjoy it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's not that much of a difference and the way Legends's content is set up means that the experience is tailored to take advantage of the strengths of a handheld console anyways.

How so?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

The new gameplay features lets you do stuff in a shorter amount of time and decreases time spent hauling your rear end to get to the spot where you need to do it in the first place, and gives you more time to actually think out your game plan in a mission even if you're in the process of doing said mission. The addition of a customization-based feature that can support you in the core gameplay also gives the player a way to personalize their experience and makes it more accessible, which are both things that helps make a good handheld game great.

Also, the way the previous Adventure Maps are done in this game: In Hyrule Warriors, you only had one Adventure Map at base, with one additional map and missions unlocked through Gold Skulltula illustrations. In Legends, Adventure Maps are unlocked as you defeat the previous map's Demon King (besides the last two maps which are unlocked by defeating Master Quest's Demon King). Besides being better for rebalancing, it means less time spent using the same missions to grind out a character over and over (which can be quite the chore) and more time spent on actually earning the rewards.

For things that happen due to the other way around: HW:Legends being a handheld game means that if you could pick up the game, grind/attempt a mission for a while, then put the 3DS in Sleep Mode when you get bored, do something else, then resume from where you stopped playing some other time. I find that being able to do that with handheld games helps with long boring sessions of grinding, and keeps me from getting burned out on a handheld game like I occasionally do with home console games.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bruceski posted:

From the sound of it, I think they're removing the "automatically gets up at half weakpoint gauge" annoyance.

That's almost enough to sell me on the game by itself.

If they removed the Imprisoned entirely that would make it the definitive, must-buy version of the game, though

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

That's almost enough to sell me on the game by itself.

If they removed the Imprisoned entirely that would make it the definitive, must-buy version of the game, though

Same but also Manhandla

Folt The Bolt posted:

If something like that is enough to ruin your day, then I have no words.

I'm more salty over the fact that I spent $60 on the game, i THINK another $20 for the DLC, and now that it's gonna be somewhat obsolete content wise over it's portable coutnerpart, that I'd have to pay $40 if I wanted to continue playing.

Not to mention that if I didn't own a 3ds [you'd want to get the {new}3ds if you want it running smoother, you know.] then that would cost me another pretty penny.

E: But from what I hear, Koei always does this so I guess I brought it upon myself.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 23, 2016

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I'm really excited to play Hyrule Warriors Legends on my New Nintendo 3DS XL Majora's Mask Limited Edition handheld gaming system tomorrow

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

I'm more salty over the fact that I spent $60 on the game, i THINK another $20 for the DLC, and now that it's gonna be somewhat obsolete content wise over it's portable coutnerpart, that I'd have to pay $40 if I wanted to continue playing.

How are you having to pay $40 for a sequel/enhanced port/expansion in order to continue playing? Your Wii U copy of the game is still there.

You only "have" to pay for Legends in order to play Legends.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I got my copy early. It's good! I'm surprised at how well it runs on the New 3DS, I couldn't imagine how terrible it must be on an old one, though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

jivjov posted:

How are you having to pay $40 for a sequel/enhanced port/expansion in order to continue playing? Your Wii U copy of the game is still there.

You only "have" to pay for Legends in order to play Legends.

If I 100% the Wii U copy and want to do the Legends content, I would have to buy it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

If I 100% the Wii U copy and want to do the Legends content, I would have to buy it.

Yeah...but you're buying a new game....you aren't forced to spend more money to continue (your word, not mine) playing the one you already have.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I already bought an old thing, so why should I ever have to pay for a new thing?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I already bought an old thing, so why should I ever have to pay for a new thing?

It would have been nice to get a discount or something for already having the game (and DLC).

Mind you, i played the demo and was having fun clearing out the map until the boss showed up and it reminded me that nah, 100+ hours in the original is enough. I can't imagine trying to stomach playing the whole thing again from scratch.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

Same but also Manhandla

Not to mention that if I didn't own a 3ds [you'd want to get the {new}3ds if you want it running smoother, you know.] then that would cost me another pretty penny.

E: But from what I hear, Koei always does this so I guess I brought it upon myself.

Manhandla's kind of easy too though.

On the subject of Legends, it was never gonna be a straight port of the original from the start. Who knows, maybe they'll never increase the level cap on this version as well.

Which suits me fine.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Kin posted:

It would have been nice to get a discount or something for already having the game (and DLC).

I can agree with you on this. I would have preferred if the maps and adventure maps and the DLC were able to be purchased as DLC for the Wii U game in addition to characters.

But as stated earlier, this is pretty much just how K-T do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well plus, its not like Nintendo has any sort of precedent in place for discounting a sequel in exchange for buying the previous iterations. I paid full price for Smash Bros and Mario Kart despite owning all the previous installments...

• Locked thread