Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do libraries work in the base Dominion game? Let's say I have something that gets me more actions, and I end my turn acting on a library. Do I get to draw 7 more cards and spend any leftover actions on them as I see fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do libraries work in the base Dominion game? Let's say I have something that gets me more actions, and I end my turn acting on a library. Do I get to draw 7 more cards and spend any leftover actions on them as I see fit?

You can't "end your turn" like that. Once you buy a card, you're done with actions. You do your action cards, then your currencies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Playing an action card never ends your turn. As long as you have actions left, you can keep on playing action cards from your hand. Also, note that the Library is "draw until you have 7 cards in hand", not "draw 7 cards."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
When you play Library, you start drawing cards until you have 7 total. You can choose to set aside Actions and keep drawing. Once you have 7 cards, Library's effect ends. Then, if you have an Action available, you can play another Action card. Otherwise, you move on to buying.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Important Ra question. In what world does Epoch sound like Epic? Who designed this shoddy language we call english?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

deadwing posted:

You can't "end your turn" like that. Once you buy a card, you're done with actions. You do your action cards, then your currencies.

I should elaborate there. I meant that for the last thing I could do with the cards in front of me, I played my library.

What counts as in-hand there? If I play, say 4 cards before the library, does that mean I am starting the library with 5 cards in hand?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Hey yo, Ra is getting a reprint as the next in the Euro Classic line from FFG: https://asmodee.us/en/games/ra/

My guess is they do Through the Desert after that, since they own the rights.

Just do Stephenson's Rocket already, jeez.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should elaborate there. I meant that for the last thing I could do with the cards in front of me, I played my library.

What counts as in-hand there? If I play, say 4 cards before the library, does that mean I am starting the library with 5 cards in hand?

Played cards are in play, not in hand, and this includes the library you just played, so in that case you'd be starting with 0 cards in hand.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Cards you've played aren't in your hand anymore. If you start the turn with 4x Festival + Library and play all your Festivals and then your Library, you currently have no cards in hand and get to draw a full 7. After you're done drawing you can play any action cards you have in hand using the pile of bonus actions you got from your Festivals.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

Played Quadropolis last night. I really don't understand the fuss. It isn't objectionable in any way, but it doesn't do anything that Between Two Cities doesn't do better in half the time with twice the players.

I haven't played either game yet, but I thought exactly the same thing when I saw Watch it Played! Quadropolis and Game Night! Between Two Cities.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Also keep in mind you don't slap down treasures until you're done with actions, so you can't dump out your coppers into "play" and then draw a whole handful from library.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

homullus posted:

I was at a table in my apartment. Where is the Japanese place meetup?

Oops got you mixed up with another Melbourne goon. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Foehammer posted:

Also keep in mind you don't slap down treasures until you're done with actions, so you can't dump out your coppers into "play" and then draw a whole handful from library.

OK, so I assume unplayed action cards also don't leave my hand. So let's say I got 1 festival, 1 cellar, 2 coppers, and a library.

1. I put down the festival. The other 4 cards are still in hand. I tap that festival to be my action, and now I have two actions.
2. I put down the library. I now have 3 cards in hand. I start drawing 4 cards into my hand. I first get: estate, cellar, gold, gold.
3. I may set aside action cards, and I set aside the cellar since I have one already. I am assuming that means I can draw another one, which is a gold. At this point, the library action is done.
4. I have an action left, so I use my cellar to discard the estate and hope for something else.

Am I so far, so good?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

OK, so I assume unplayed action cards also don't leave my hand. So let's say I got 1 festival, 1 cellar, 2 coppers, and a library.

1. I put down the festival. The other 4 cards are still in hand. I tap that festival to be my action, and now I have two actions.
2. I put down the library. I now have 3 cards in hand. I start drawing 4 cards into my hand. I first get: estate, cellar, gold, gold.
3. I may set aside action cards, and I set aside the cellar since I have one already. I am assuming that means I can draw another one, which is a gold. At this point, the library action is done.
4. I have an action left, so I use my cellar to discard the estate and hope for something else.

Am I so far, so good?

1. Where's the tapping come from?
3. Library says to set them aside as you draw them, you don't get to look at the "later" cards you may or may not draw (as far as I understand it)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Am I so far, so good?

Pretty much. I think you'd have to choose to set aside Cellar before you draw the first gold in your example, but I could be wrong since I don't remember the text of the card offhand.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

1. Where's the tapping come from?
3. Library says to set them aside as you draw them, you don't get to look at the "later" cards you may or may not draw.
Since I'm playing with people that are generally still new, we like to use tapping--I mean, just turning cards sideways here--to show what people have already touched, and what is active as they're fumbling through some of these things. We're still mostly revealing our complete hands each turn. I understand that isn't necessary, and in fact eliminates some of the strategy in keeping people guessing at when stuff is going to be coming up for you.

So what does setting them aside really mean then? Let's say I drew 4 action cards. Now what?

Recall some many pages ago that my first game was Village Idiot. I've stayed clear of that, but today we had some interesting things happen. Somebody did buy the library card, declaring it was for giggles, and we all figured we'd look it up and litigate it when he used it. Indeed, it was a mess. We decided to allow the generous interpretation of it to stand because we didn't know. At any rate, he didn't win because somebody else was able to throne room 3 smithies with the help of other compounding cards and go on a game-ending shopping spree.

Also, many thanks to everybody putting up with this bullshit. Of the lot of games I have, I seem to run into the most situations with Dominion. I get to be the lead idiot in asking all these questions here since they come up when I'm playing, and I nobody knows what to do about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you drew 4 Action cards, you drew 4 Action cards and you're done.

What Library allows you to do is draw your cards one at a time and if the card is an Action you can set it aside and draw a different card. Then, once you have 7 cards, all the Actions you chose to set aside and not draw get discarded.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

To do a complete run through, using your example, what happens is (from when you play the library):

2a: draw estate
2b: draw cellar, you can choose whether or not to set it aside now before drawing any other cards.

"Set it aside" means that it's neither in your deck or discard pile - this is important, because if you run out of cards in your deck you need to shuffle your discard pile, and the cards you chose not to draw with Library therefore can't be in it.

2c: draw gold
2d: draw gold
2e: draw another card if you chose to set cellar aside.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Other things people new to the game tend to forget in my experience (from the base set):

You only get one buy unless you have a +buy card
Throne Rooming a Throne Room gives you two Throne Rooms you play with two separate action cards, it doesn't give you a 4x Throne Room.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Since I'm playing with people that are generally still new, we like to use tapping--I mean, just turning cards sideways here--to show what people have already touched, and what is active as they're fumbling through some of these things. We're still mostly revealing our complete hands each turn. I understand that isn't necessary, and in fact eliminates some of the strategy in keeping people guessing at when stuff is going to be coming up for you.

So what does setting them aside really mean then? Let's say I drew 4 action cards. Now what?

Recall some many pages ago that my first game was Village Idiot. I've stayed clear of that, but today we had some interesting things happen. Somebody did buy the library card, declaring it was for giggles, and we all figured we'd look it up and litigate it when he used it. Indeed, it was a mess. We decided to allow the generous interpretation of it to stand because we didn't know. At any rate, he didn't win because somebody else was able to throne room 3 smithies with the help of other compounding cards and go on a game-ending shopping spree.

Also, many thanks to everybody putting up with this bullshit. Of the lot of games I have, I seem to run into the most situations with Dominion. I get to be the lead idiot in asking all these questions here since they come up when I'm playing, and I nobody knows what to do about it.

Most questions regarding Dominion cards can be answered by adhering exactly to the text of the card, or failing that, reading the rules for it in the manual, where most ambiguities and weird interactions are clarified. In the case of Library, you draw cards one by one until you reach a hand size of 7. As you're drawing, if you draw an action card, you may choose to set it aside only at that exact moment, not afterwards. After you're done drawing up to seven, any cards that you set aside for the Library are then discarded. The Library itself isn't discarded of course, it remains in play until the cleanup phase of your turn.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Since I'm playing with people that are generally still new, we like to use tapping--I mean, just turning cards sideways here--to show what people have already touched, and what is active as they're fumbling through some of these things.

My Dominion boxes have a detailed guide to all the cards in the set in the back of the rulebook. If yours do too, that's a good first place to look.

Also, any card in your play area is by definition in effect, no tapping or anything necessary.

Efb. Also, you can Throne Room a Feast to get two cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You don't just "draw 4 action cards". Here's the process you follow when playing Library:

1. Do I have 7+ cards in hand? (If so, you're finished, so stop.)
2. Pick up the top card of your deck.
3. Is it an Action card? If not, put it into your hand and loop back to (1).
4. (If you got to here, it must be an Action card). Do you want that card? If so, put it into your hand and loop back to (1).
5. You don't want it, so set it aside somewhere. Then go back to (1).

Then once you're finished, you take all those action cards you set aside and put them into your discard pile. (Why do you set them aside instead of discarding them immediately? To prevent you from looping your deck over and over if there are only actions in it until you get the order you want.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay, I think I got it. I should be able to play again this weekend with the same lineup and see how it goes. I have the Prosperity expansion coming in, so I am hoping what I'm learning in the details here will spare me some disasters with those cards.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The General posted:

Important Ra question. In what world does Epoch sound like Epic? Who designed this shoddy language we call english?

In Merriam-Webster's world :???:

I mean, granted, I pronounce epic like "eh-pick" and epoch like "eh-puck".

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's not ep-ok? :ohdear:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
clearly it is pronounced eep oak

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A long time ago, I was explaining the rules and my group was laughing at me for my ep-ochs. Who knew? All of them.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
In all seriousness, I pronounce it e-pock. Like e-mail, but with pocks. Who cares who's right? Language is fluid, everyone knows what you mean and that's all that matters!!!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Clockwork Gadget posted:

In all seriousness, I pronounce it e-pock. Like e-mail, but with pocks. Who cares who's right? Language is fluid, everyone knows what you mean and that's all that matters!!!

This is how I pronounce it too.

Interestingly, this Youtube video on pronunciation has more down- than up-votes so clearly a lot of people think the same way

[edit] Oh hey it's just a US/UK thing

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 24, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Language is fluid, everyone knows what you mean and that's all that matters!!!

Language is literally a living thing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Language is literally a living thing.

Langrage kalled my family and now i'm oout to kill theme

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
To the people who own several expansions for Eldritch Horror, how are you storing all of it?

I made a foamcore insert when I bought the base game, that luckily Forsaken Lore could still fit in. Now I bought Mountains of Madness because it was on sale, and nothing fits anywhere anymore. I hate to think how much an additional two expansions would take.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boz0r posted:

To the people who own several expansions for Eldritch Horror, how are you storing all of it?

In the Base box and a Plano for the tokens. When I get Pyramids I'll convert to foamcore and use the second box instead of the Plano.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
According to a fairly reputable dictionary, epoch may be pronounced "ep-eck" or "ee-pock". Epic is "ep-ick". So not quite the same.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OmegaGoo posted:

According to a fairly reputable dictionary, epoch may be pronounced "ep-eck" or "ee-pock". Epic is "ep-ick". So not quite the same.

Well technically in the US, /ˈɛpˌək/ would be pronounced "ep-uhk", not "ep-eck".

But the British go-to pronunciation is /ˈiː.pɒk/ would be pronounced "ee-pock".

(This is all my linguistics degree is good for :( Arguing pronunciation on the internet)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Boz0r posted:

I made a foamcore insert when I bought the base game, that luckily Forsaken Lore could still fit in. Now I bought Mountains of Madness because it was on sale, and nothing fits anywhere anymore. I hate to think how much an additional two expansions would take.

Two of the big boxes; if you use the eldritch companion app to handle the encounter decks you only need the characters, mythos, mystery, items/spells/conditions, monsters. The app handles all location, research, special encounters, and expeditions encounters. You should be able to fit all that into one box then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

(This is all my linguistics degree is good for :( Arguing pronunciation on the internet)

As a fellow linguistics degree holder, this is painfully accurate. :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In retrospect, I think a lot of my problems with Dominion have come from bad habits from playing Trains. We learned how to play that from a BGG Game Night! video, and they were playing open-hand for the sake of film. We always played that way. Hence, we didn't really have a difference between one's hand and one's play area. It also mattered less in Trains since there wasn't a limit or order to actions and buying.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I've owned Dominion for like 5 years and only just got to play it for the first time. It was great. It looks like there are a lot of expansions; which are the must-have, the maybe-buy-this-if-you've-got-cash-to-burn and the don't-bother-with-this-one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I've owned Dominion for like 5 years and only just got to play it for the first time. It was great. It looks like there are a lot of expansions; which are the must-have, the maybe-buy-this-if-you've-got-cash-to-burn and the don't-bother-with-this-one?

Honestly all the expansions are great, the only one that'd fall into the second category is Alchemy. Everything else is worth getting as soon as you're ready to move on to a new set. Recommended buying order is order of release, but if there's a particular aspect you like (money, trashing, deck variety, etc.) then feel free to jump ahead to the specific expansion that focuses on that.