Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dunlop and put the bridge on every track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

F1 is dead in the UK

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sky-secures-exclusive-f1-broadcast-agreement-681864/

"Live Formula 1 races will be taken off free-to-air television in the United Kingdom from 2019, after Sky agreed a new exclusive broadcast agreement with the sport's chiefs."
Welp. That sucks. I mean, we already have Sky F1 so it's like we've funded this move but as always Blame Bernie.

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't remember if my winter tires are "East Lake" or "Green Lake" tires but what I do know is that they're currently under investigation by the DOT for using too cheap a glue when adhering the rubber to the tire carcass and that's the kind of excitement I want in F1.

I thought Dunlop was a subsidiary of some Japanese tire company now?

Westlake. And be careful driving to the tire store to get new tires.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Westlake. And be careful driving to the tire store to get new tires.

Nonsense. They make quite good winter tires, almost made the podium in the last TSD Rally with them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Time for a reminder that the cheapest (legal) way to get Sky F1 is to pay £27.50 a month (on top of whatever other subscriptions you're paying) for a sports package - that's an extra £330 a year, more than twice the licence fee. gently caress Sky.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why would you want Goodyear in F1? They can't even make tires that work in NASCAR.

actually let's bring back goodyear

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Brainwrong posted:

F1 is dead in the UK

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sky-secures-exclusive-f1-broadcast-agreement-681864/

"Live Formula 1 races will be taken off free-to-air television in the United Kingdom from 2019, after Sky agreed a new exclusive broadcast agreement with the sport's chiefs."

I grew up watching F1, largely because it was one of very few sports that stayed free-to-air when Sky started doing massive grabs for exclusivity in the late 80s/90s. These days Sky TV falls freely onto my computer somehow, but I feel for the kids who can't watch F1 whilst mum makes the Sunday roast :(

RIP my childhood (in a small way)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
it looks like they want to experiment with the elimination system again, this time with the most half-assed solution to the most glaring issue

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Payndz posted:

Time for a reminder that the cheapest (legal) way to get Sky F1 is to pay £27.50 a month (on top of whatever other subscriptions you're paying) for a sports package - that's an extra £330 a year, more than twice the licence fee. gently caress Sky.

Or stream their poo poo for free and give no fucks.

:lol:

This sport literally runs their decision making processes by consulting a magic 8-ball.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 23, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Helicon One posted:

Or stream their poo poo for free and give no fucks.

Bernie's views on the young demographic make me feel quite happy to do this. You're right Bernie I haven't got any cash to put in the bank so why would I waste it viewing your shitshow.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh for gently caress's sake, what was wrong with just going back to the old system? Too sensible?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, what was wrong with just going back to the old system? Too sensible?

Hello, I see you're new to F1.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Payndz posted:

It stinks, but you get 2 sky go accounts with that, so if you have a sports mad (football) relative, get hooked up ;)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
F1 is just unbelievably loving retarded, it's like they are trying to kill this thing with all the stupid decisions.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
What was the plan for Spa anyway? a lap there takes more than 90 seconds did they even think of that?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I wish I was new to F1 because that'd mean I could stop watching this poo poo more easily. After 25 years, the habit is a little harder to break even though they're doing a bang-up job to alienate absolutely everyone aside from the rich old fucks who hang out with Bernie in the VIP section.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

El Hefe posted:

What was the plan for Spa anyway? a lap there takes more than 90 seconds did they even think of that?

They didn't.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm genuinely curious if you could come up with a worse idea if you were actively trying to ruin the sport. Seriously Qualifying is now like a Tim and Eric sketch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why would he sell exclusive rights to anybody? Does Bernie not see how well motoGP does it with their subscription based multi-screen and is he seriously that disconnected with modern reality that he can't see how much money is on online subscriptions? :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Why would he sell exclusive rights to anybody? Does Bernie not see how well motoGP does it with their subscription based multi-screen and is he seriously that disconnected with modern reality that he can't see how much money is on online subscriptions? :(
Bernie doesn't know what an online subscription is. Hell, I bet the people interested in those won't even buy Rolexes.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

learnincurve posted:

because bernie's trying to cash out and go to the grave with a nice high score in the grand game of being greedy gently caress

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Selling exclusive rights... Bernie who made his money...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also I'm tired of loving luxury watches being hyped up. A couple of years ago I was looking for a decent mechanical watch and literally the only thing I could find that didn't look embarrassing to wear was those cheap Seiko ones. Seriously I think all those brands are deathly afraid of putting out a very simple looking well built watch so they all look gaudy as hell. I mean I'm not a rich man by any means but generally when I buy something I like to save up and get something good, I spent loving days pouring through watch catalogues and couldn't find anything that I'd wear even if it only cost $50.

There's a reason why the "young people" don't buy rolexes and its because they're loving embarrassing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a reason why the "young people" don't buy rolexes and its because they're loving embarrassing.

Also they cannot read analogue clocks.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Baron Corbyn posted:

The GPDA are calling for Bernie's head, in the nicest possible terms. Glad to see they're calling out the move to pay TV on their list of grievances.

I too believe that Vettel having a say in the rules is what will revive F1

-nobody, ever

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Luxury watches may look nice but they can't upload strava data or show you your texts so you don't have to get your iphone out on the tube to the city, which is exactly what affluent young men with a nice fat disposable income want these days. Which brings us right back to the disconnect from modern reality.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

poty posted:

I too believe that Vettel having a say in the rules is what will revive F1

-nobody, ever

They said that about Jackie Stewart

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

1500quidporsche posted:

Counter point: Jordan shoes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They need to do something about teams wanting to save their tires. poo poo like Red Bull being idiots and not being on the track can be fixed with longer sessions and knockout windows I guess. As of now why wouldn't Q2 and Q3 just have teams content to go in early and have an extra set of fresh super softs for the race?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

djssniper posted:

Selling exclusive rights... Bernie who made his money...

Seriously, learnincurve, do you not know how Bernie got his money and came to be F1's "boss"?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keevo posted:

CounterCounterPoint: Those kick rear end.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

CounterCounterPoint: Those kick rear end.

That's just a known fact though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to 19 again and wear the dumbest poo poo imaginable.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

keevo posted:

I kept trying to remember when Eddie Jordan ever came out with a shoe brand.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

1500quidporsche posted:

Nonsense. They make quite good winter tires, almost made the podium in the last TSD Rally with them.

Uh, you're the one with the dodgy tires, I was just guessing at the brand name, one of the drift racers I know is sponsored by Westlake and it sounded a lot like the names you were throwing out.

gret posted:

I kept trying to remember when Eddie Jordan ever came out with a shoe brand.
I remember reading about Jenson Button when he first got into F1, he supposedly had his own mobile phone, which was really funny to my F1-watching co-workers and I.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Luxury watches may look nice but they can't upload strava data or show you your texts so you don't have to get your iphone out on the tube to the city, which is exactly what affluent young men with a nice fat disposable income want these days. Which brings us right back to the disconnect from modern reality.

Bernie said young people have no money so he has no interest in them. It would explain the reluctance toward the internet and the move toward pay TV. He thinks people still pay for TV but the under 35 crowd has no interest in such crap.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd love to give the old goblin king some of my cash. But he clearly has no idea the internet even exists.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So who thinks the letter from the GPDA will do anything? I think maybe they should have released it a couple of days before the next race, so it gets more media coverage and maybe get some of the press to doorstop Bernie about it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Uh, you're the one with the dodgy tires, I was just guessing at the brand name, one of the drift racers I know is sponsored by Westlake and it sounded a lot like the names you were throwing out.

Do they just sponsor random punters? I actually don't like the feel of them but needed some dirt cheap tires after I hosed up the toe on my car by putting in actual suspension so I was going below my usual quality of Federal tires. but I'd honestly put up with it if they sent me a free or even discounted set of studded tires every year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

1500quidporsche posted:

Do they just sponsor random punters?

Nope, 'Baggsy' Biagioni, one of the top British drifters actually https://www.facebook.com/BaggsyBoyUK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Pacific Grand Prix website. 1994-2016.

• Locked thread