Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think surviving a 13 and a 12 seed doesn't stop it from being a down year for Duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Tagging along with a friend to a party they got invited to only to find out it's a MLM party of some kind when you get there.

Which reminds me of my biggest pet peeve: sales parties, and I really hate when people use them for wedding/baby showers. I always decline to go to these so I'm not sure if you're expected to buy things for the bride/mom-to-be or what, but even if you're not I can't think of anything more aggravating than a "party" whose entire point is to sit through somebody's sales pitch for a bunch of overpriced poo poo. You bitch, this occasion is already entirely about you, and if everyone you know is bringing you gifts the least you can do is host a fun get-together with some decent food and not try to sell us things.

Arrggh, shower sales parties, ararraghgh.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact they get sucked into the MLM crap or the fact that the MLM crap totally sucks their personality away. I had (past tense) a friend who used to be cool and was someone I'd talk to regularly then she got into that Jamberry bullshit and suddenly every conversation turned into a canned sales pitch. I had to stop talking to her because she literally couldn't say anything that wasn't a scripted sales pitch anymore.

Somewhat related to this, I had a friend call me up a while back asking if I wanted to go grab a drink, when I get to the bar it's him and another dude trying to sell me life insurance. What the gently caress? I legitimately was interested in catching up and bullshitting about stuff but I got tricked into sitting through a sales pitch instead. Haven't talked to him since.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

artsy fartsy posted:

Which reminds me of my biggest pet peeve: sales parties, and I really hate when people use them for wedding/baby showers.

People do this?! That is the tackiest thing ever. :stare:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

HOLY gently caress posted:

People do this?! That is the tackiest thing ever. :stare:

Usually Pampered Chef, but once I got invited to a dildo party.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've heard of sales parties and my wife's even been to 1 or 2 but I've never heard them combined with baby showers or any other kind of party like that. I can honestly say if someone tricked me into going to a sales party like that I would not be their friend anymore.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really wouldn't mind sales parties if there was a single worthwhile product sold like that. Instead they range from shittier versions of widely available products to insane scams. Then again if the products sold through direct marketing were any good they wouldn't need to rely on the "pressure your friends into buying this please" sales model.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The only way a surprise sex toy sales party would be good if it was at a baby shower and the mom was clearly not into it. "If only I had had the XL Punished I might get off! Instead my idiot boyfriend knocks me up and if penis size genes are on his end, our son will have a goddamn micropene too."

People who bitch about free things. Our fish convention was yesterday and while it was overall great, I heard the usual complaints. People were mad they didn't win in the raffle when they bought 5 tickets and most people were buying 40-60. People mad that they were expecting $50 fish in the silent auction and finding only the smaller cheaper fish. People upset there were lines. The talks went over. The schedule wasn't followed to a tee. Oh we have free pizza for you? But none of the crusts are what you like and the boxes are super greasy and why aren't there any vegan options? It's a loving free event, jackass!

Along those lines, people who bring items to sell at a mostly-donation event. Two ladies were approved to sell (everyone else donated their stuff, me included) and they were very pissed when their $20 fish were being bid on and the highest bid was....$4. Because there were over 800 items in the auction and not everyone wanted their fish. So they complained and got into some loud arguments with the guys running the cashbox how much they really should be getting back. It'd be like bringing brand-new items to a family/neighborhood yard sale and getting mad no one wanted your Nike shirt for $20 and kept offering a buck or two....and then demanding you get $20 for bringing it in the first place.

Along those lines, in a world where so many people have smartphones and lots of kids have the kid Kindles, why the gently caress would you bring a two and a six year old to an adult convention without something to entertain them? The two year old spent a good ten minutes running from one end of the talk hall to the other, opening the door, running out fast and circling around to use the other to get back inside. His mom followed him slowly, asking him to stop. Finally I told him to stop it, and the kid froze before running away to hide near his stroller. Seriously, there is a loving talk going on, show some respect! Bring some drat toys to entertain your kid! The six year old was a bit better but she was clearly bored, so I have her some paper to color on, and some colored pens...and she spent the next half hour arguing with me and trying to take more paper, some of the name badges, and stealing pens I needed to mark off items. I was polite but kept having to tell her no while her parents watched and complained about the wait for the next prize drawing.

Or the idiots that kept walking into the room with the prizes and insisting they just wanted to look...while pawing over labeled piles, moving poo poo from place to place, and oops I totally just wrote my name down when it wasn't on the list before, my bad! No, idiots, you stay out!

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
People who can't figure out that maybe, just maybe they're hobby/interest isn't appropriate in certain settings.

Talking about your job over dinner, perfect almost! Just not when you work on cadavers all loving day.

Playing Guitar, ok even in public most of the time! Not in doors just outside the loving open doors of the campus library dipshit, especially when you can't play.

Watching Anime! Hell I watch some too! But why god oh why would you watch some show were the underage girls walk around in their panties, on campus, with a computer that faces the Library doors :cripes:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

People who can't figure out that maybe, just maybe they're hobby/interest isn't appropriate in certain settings.

Talking about your job over dinner, perfect almost! Just not when you work on cadavers all loving day.

Playing Guitar, ok even in public most of the time! Not in doors just outside the loving open doors of the campus library dipshit, especially when you can't play.

Watching Anime! Hell I watch some too! But why god oh why would you watch some show were the underage girls walk around in their panties, on campus, with a computer that faces the Library doors :cripes:

The same reason straight guys send dick pics to girls they just met or haven't even been introduced to. Somewhere they got the idea if they showed off their most important interest and were confident in it (cause the bitches like confidence, right?) the bitches come flying toward them.

I overheard someone recently whining that he's sent 100+ dick pics to girls and hasn't gotten laid once. The rest of the story entailed this was on a dating site and he would send the briefest Hi, to the hot ones, but usually just sent the dick pic over first, because what girl doesn't drool at the sight of four inches of pink meat gripped by a desperate loser?

With that, know your audience! If my 11 year old niece likes a movie but I hated it, I just tell her it wasn't my favorite and let her go into details about why it was awesome. Because the movie probably wasn't made for me in mind. There's no good reason why I should tell her her opinion is stupid and list off all the horrible poo poo in the movie WHEN IT'S NOT DIRECTED AT ME AS AN AUDIENCE. The guitar playing and the anime poo poo listed above is just some idiot trying desperately to get attention.

The only place an underage panty girl anime is appropriate is....either in the DA's office or possibly some anime club, and said anime is enough to make a lot of the members realize how hosed up some anime lovers are and kick them the gently caress out. Or better yet, leave themselves.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

My mom is an OB/GYN. I couldn't even begin to count the number of family dinners that featured her stories of the most recent hysterectomy she did. :barf:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, in a world where so many people have smartphones and lots of kids have the kid Kindles, why the gently caress would you bring a two and a six year old to an adult convention without something to entertain them? The two year old spent a good ten minutes running from one end of the talk hall to the other, opening the door, running out fast and circling around to use the other to get back inside. His mom followed him slowly, asking him to stop. Finally I told him to stop it, and the kid froze before running away to hide near his stroller. Seriously, there is a loving talk going on, show some respect! Bring some drat toys to entertain your kid! The six year old was a bit better but she was clearly bored, so I have her some paper to color on, and some colored pens...and she spent the next half hour arguing with me and trying to take more paper, some of the name badges, and stealing pens I needed to mark off items. I was polite but kept having to tell her no while her parents watched and complained about the wait for the next prize drawing.

People who don't look after their kids in general. No, listening to your kid scream his head off/watching her run around like an idiot grabbing stuff without being told so much as a "No, stop!" isn't cute or funny. It just reinforces my decision not to have kids!

Related: barking dogs. I live in the "dog friendly" section of the apartment complex, and I don't mind this. Most of the time. The only time I do mind it is when I'm walking down to the dumpsters, and my trek across the courtyard is accompanied by half a dozen little fuzzy idiots barking their heads off as I walk past. It makes me feel like a goddamn criminal.

Or when I'm trying to take a nap and aforementioned fuzzy idiots start going off on someone else who dared to take out the trash. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP I just want some peace and quiet!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BlueKingBar posted:

I can relate to this one, replace art with tech support. Fun fact: I may know what I'm doing with computers in general wrt programming, but most of the time when Windows does something stupid it's either A) your fault or B) easily solvable in five minutes by googling the exact error message given and doing some basic deduction from that. And if it's any more complicated than that I can assure you nobody in their right mind is gonna do it for free (e.g. your computer BSoD'd because you downloaded and ran a virus by accident).

:smith::hf::smith:

IT support for family and friends is sometimes the bane of my existence. I might help once in a while (usually because people will offer to pay either with money, food, or doing something for me in return) but it gets really, really old hearing the same people constantly ask for computer support and assuming it's "free". No, sorry, they're taking time out of my day when I'd rather be doing anything BUT working on computer poo poo, and then they have the balls to get upset when I ask for payment, like I just walked into their house and stabbed their dog in front of them. At least once they hear that I want something in return, they either shut up or we find a decent compromise, so it's worked out for me :shrug:

"Cash, rear end, or grass - tech support isn't free"

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Mar 21, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ozz81 posted:

"Cash, rear end, or grass - tech support isn't free"

I hope this isn't the deal you strike with family.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who bitch about free things.

Haha, at my mom's old job she was in charge of the employee appreciation day (or whatever it was called) that included entertainment and food and whatever—all free for the employees. Not a single one went by that didn't include a hefty amount of whining and bitching, and it was usually about the pizza.

How can you even care that much about pizza.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hope this isn't the deal you strike with family.

I would if only because my family is dead to me. If I were still on good terms with them (i.e. they weren't lovely people) then that'd be a bit absurd.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

artsy fartsy posted:

Haha, at my mom's old job she was in charge of the employee appreciation day (or whatever it was called) that included entertainment and food and whatever—all free for the employees. Not a single one went by that didn't include a hefty amount of whining and bitching, and it was usually about the pizza.

That depends, was it from Alfredo's Pizza or Pizza by Alfredo?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

I would if only because my family is dead to me. If I were still on good terms with them (i.e. they weren't lovely people) then that'd be a bit absurd.

so you're saying it's okay to have anal sex with your family members as long as they're estranged?

related: my pet peeve is oxford commas. "cash, rear end, or grass" vs. "cash, rear end or grass"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SciFiDownBeat posted:

so you're saying it's okay to have anal sex with your family members as long as they're estranged?

Well, yeah, you wouldn't want it to get weird.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Gettin' Strange from my Estranged - A Rodney Carrington Album

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

related: my pet peeve is oxford commas. "cash, rear end, or grass" vs. "cash, rear end or grass"

Seconding this. Sentences with Oxford commas sound like they were written by somebody with the hiccups.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Related to incest, I wish people visiting the South knew about our esoteric politeness rituals. If you come over, we are going to make extravagant gestures of generosity. You should know that it is the height of tackiness to accept any of them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We all just consider it ongoing reparations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

artsy fartsy posted:

If all the pizza had pineapple on it, their bitching was justified. :colbert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

Related to incest, I wish people visiting the South knew about our esoteric politeness rituals. If you come over, we are going to make extravagant gestures of generosity. You should know that it is the height of tackiness to accept any of them.

Personally I think that kind of politeness isn't polite at all. Don't offer if you don't actually want to do it. You're not even making yourself actually look generous if everyone knows you're not meant to accept it, you're just bragging about how generous you are without actually doing it.

that's my pet peeve

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

If all the pizza had pineapple on it, their bitching was justified. :colbert:

She'd always get the normal poo poo you buy for a large group--some with veggies, some with pepperoni, and some plain cheese for the black-hearted.

But it was the wrong veggies, or the wrong crust, or it came from the wrong pizza place, and they'd complain while eating it arggjhhbhghgahbthbpt

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Slime posted:

Personally I think that kind of politeness isn't polite at all. Don't offer if you don't actually want to do it. You're not even making yourself actually look generous if everyone knows you're not meant to accept it, you're just bragging about how generous you are without actually doing it.

that's my pet peeve

This. It exists in Canada, too. We're not a friendly people, just 'polite'. I actually find Americans in general to be friendlier than my fellow Canadians.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

that's my pet peeve

Oh bless your heart. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's expected of the host. I don't make the rules. If you are a guest in my home for the weekend, I will tell you to make yourself at home and help yourself to anything in the kitchen. But if you walk around in your underoos all day and drink all the special occasion liquors you will definitely be the target of unfailing politeness. Well I guess that's not much of a threat but still the breach is noticed and you may find your departure giftbag a bit lighter.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Oh bless your heart. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's expected of the host. I don't make the rules. If you are a guest in my home for the weekend, I will tell you to make yourself at home and help yourself to anything in the kitchen. But if you walk around in your underoos all day and drink all the special occasion liquors you will definitely be the target of unfailing politeness. Well I guess that's not much of a threat but still the breach is noticed and you may find your departure giftbag a bit lighter.

This annoys me alot because I'm used to people who genuinely mean it when they say things like help yourself or offer poo poo tons of food at me from the moment I step through the threshold and will not stop until I've eaten way more than should be recommenced.

There isn't some trick to tell when it's all horseshit is there?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

This annoys me alot because I'm used to people who genuinely mean it when they say things like help yourself or offer poo poo tons of food at me from the moment I step through the threshold and will not stop until I've eaten way more than should be recommenced.

There isn't some trick to tell when it's all horseshit is there?

It's super simple. Take as much food and as many favors as are offered but only what can be enjoyed at that moment in the company of your host. If they offer you a glass of the good scotch, drink it. If they see you like it and offer you a bottle to take, you decline. If you mention your car is acting up and the host offers to take a look at it, feel free to take him/her up on it. If the host offers to call his mechanic friend and come take a look at a later date, you decline. If you're in a "help yourself" situation, you're only really free to help yourself to what they have prepared for you. If the host has not prepared things for you (fresh towels, shower poo poo, food and drink, a dinner service or buffet style at a dinner party) then they are in breach and you're now in an uncomfortable situation.

When you are full or don't need what they are offering, you say thank you but no. If the host insists, you're in a gray area because they are then breaching etiquette. Then you're into recursive denial/acceptance breach diffusion theory and that's a little longer than would be polite to write.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's super simple. Take as much food and as many favors as are offered but only what can be enjoyed at that moment in the company of your host. If they offer you a glass of the good scotch, drink it. If they see you like it and offer you a bottle to take, you decline. If you mention your car is acting up and the host offers to take a look at it, feel free to take him/her up on it. If the host offers to call his mechanic friend and come take a look at a later date, you decline. If you're in a "help yourself" situation, you're only really free to help yourself to what they have prepared for you. If the host has not prepared things for you (fresh towels, shower poo poo, food and drink, a dinner service or buffet style at a dinner party) then they are in breach and you're now in an uncomfortable situation.

When you are full or don't need what they are offering, you say thank you but no. If the host insists, you're in a gray area because they are then breaching etiquette. Then you're into recursive denial/acceptance breach diffusion theory and that's a little longer than would be polite to write.

Or you could just take what they offer if you want it. gently caress 'em. Rewrite the stupid "rules" or deal.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You're doing a caricature of it, I hope. I take it the talking down to people is part and parcel of this sort of horseshit? My skin crawls.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're doing a caricature of it, I hope. I take it the talking down to people is part and parcel of this sort of horseshit? My skin crawls.

Just keep in mind that in the South you can say whatever vile thing you want about someone as long as you preface it with Bless your/their heart but,

It helps if you're a gossipy older lady but really anyone can do it.

That kind of social dance sounds exhausting anyway, goddamn.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

DavidAlltheTime posted:

This. It exists in Canada, too. We're not a friendly people, just 'polite'. I actually find Americans in general to be friendlier than my fellow Canadians.

Depends on where you are. Big cities in BC and Ontario, everyone's polite but reserved. It took me a while to get used to that when I moved to Toronto, because I was used to people saying, "Let's hang out," with absolute sincerity, even if I didn't know them well, and holy poo poo, does that not work here. And just try chatting someone up in a line. Now whenever I go see my parents in Kamloops, it takes me like three days to get used to the fact that the lady from the Save-On-Foods very much wants to hear all about my semester, even though we've met twice. Also, and someone please help me confirm this, but everyone in small towns and cities in Canada does not have a haircut, they have a hairdo. Big difference.

This is such a classic, but: MOVIE TALKERS. AUHSDLHDJKHD. STOP IT. I have two classes this semester where we've watched movies, and like, if I find out I walked for 45 minutes to watch Walker: A True Story, I'd like to be able to enjoy it without you talking at a completely conversational volume about your weekend.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Tricking guests into being rude isn't polite, it's really lovely. Then again, I'm from New York City so my Yankee opinions probably mean nothing to you anyway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't think we really need to listen to a bunch of racists on the topic of social mannerisms.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

But, but, that good ol' needlessly-complicated passive-aggressive southern hospitality

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

cash crab posted:

Also, and someone please help me confirm this, but everyone in small towns and cities in Canada does not have a haircut, they have a hairdo. Big difference.

I've lived in small town Saskacthewan, population ~900 for 16 years and no one says hairdo. Maybe that's just SK though.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

nuke the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well I never. Yall may feel more comfortable losing your invitations to my niece's cotillion, and I can assure you this kind of behavior has been noted by the Hensarling family.