Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dallan Invictus posted:

"Conservative Member of Parliament for Medicine Hat-Cardston-Warner"

That's probably why.

Just a reminder for those who don't know: Cardston was the location of the first Mormon temple outside the US. The CPC could've run a ficus plant in that riding and it would've got elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm sure that if he's done or said anything worthy of venomous hatred someone ITT will bring it up but RIP, irrelevant Conservative backbencher. Dying at work in the wee hours, at age 41, is not high on the list of Best Ways To Go.

edit: well beaten, and with cause too.

According to Wikipedia, Jim Hillyer has:
- Made gun gestures with his hands after the long gun registry was repealed
- Rolled his eyes during one of Pat Martin's speeches
- Parachuted from his hometown of Lethbridge into Medicine Hat after the previous Medicine Hat MP resigned

So he's basically Rob Anders.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Awful news to die so young, at least make it to 60 or have a crack binge :sigh:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Frosted Flake posted:

41 with young kids, yikes!

How did he get elected with a degree from an unaccredited university though? Studying American Constitutional Law no less.
In Medicine Hat, "Conservative" is the only accreditation you need to be elected MP.

e: beaten.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Frosted Flake posted:

41 with young kids, yikes!

How did he get elected with a degree from an unaccredited university though? Studying American Constitutional Law no less.
No job requirements to be an MP, sadly.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

I'm coming around more and more to this point of view myself, but I still think it's incompatible with the drive to increase graduation rates by any means necessary. Don't get me wrong: I think we need an educated populace, but I don't think we get there by turning university into High School 2.0. We need to maintain and even increase current standards and expectations as a condition of making tuition free, otherwise we're just funding people to dick around for another four years.

It already happened with high school; according to my Dad, when he graduated in the 70s, graduation wasn't a complete triviality.

PT6A posted:

I think the disconnect occurs because some people believe increasing graduation rates at whatever level means meaningfully increasing the average level of education, and others believe that it's s fiction created by the lowering of standards. I'm in the latter camp.
It's pretty clear that a significant proportion of Canadian post-secondary students just aren't qualified to be there. Unfortunately, if you treat it too much like a business, you require growth, and there's only one way to do that once you've exhausted the pool of qualified potential students.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Is iiiitt..... telling the source of applicants to do a better job training them?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how does floor crossing work these days? I would laugh if a liberal-minded person ended up getting the Conservative nomination in this by-election and then just going "fooled you, I bleed red/orange/green" after getting sworn in.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Aces High posted:

how does floor crossing work these days? I would laugh if a liberal-minded person ended up getting the Conservative nomination in this by-election and then just going "fooled you, I bleed red/orange/green" after getting sworn in.

I'm pretty sure that the Conservative vetting process involves blood testing for elevated levels of FYGM high enough to stop a Liberal's heart.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tagesschau posted:

It's pretty clear that a significant proportion of Canadian post-secondary students just aren't qualified to be there. Unfortunately, if you treat it too much like a business, you require growth, and there's only one way to do that once you've exhausted the pool of qualified potential students.

International students. Let's just have them subsidize post secondary education for citizens.

(not entirely kidding, we're already seeing the move towards that model in a disorganized manner)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I feel sad for Hyllier's kids losing their dad.

quote:

With the budget now on the books, Trudeau’s attention must turn to the highest court in the land and finding a replacement for Justice Thomas Cromwell. He’s announced he’ll be retiring in September. 

drat, Cromwell is great to watch during hearings; he loves going after bullshit. I'm going to miss him, and his Truman Capote-esque way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

International students. Let's just have them subsidize post secondary education for citizens.

(not entirely kidding, we're already seeing the move towards that model in a disorganized manner)

Oh it's not disorganized at all. Universities that got hit hard in 2008 are really leaning on international students to make up any funding shortfalls in pension or grants, not to mention all universities are just in build, build, build mode despite the fact that according to current demographics there's going to be less students in 50 years than there are now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtp1eDz_mY

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Huge numbers of international students makes education worse for Canadians, so it's not a great solution, even if it does bring n money.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

El Scotch posted:

drat, Cromwell is great to watch during hearings; he loves going after bullshit. I'm going to miss him, and his Truman Capote-esque way.

Ugh it's going to be so cringey hearing some conservatives try and link this to the ongoing supreme court appointment controversy in the states.

Because you just know someone somewhere is going "Hey, we can block them like that too"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
To add to the gently caress cancer train Arnold Chan announced his is back today

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

Oh it's not disorganized at all. Universities that got hit hard in 2008 are really leaning on international students to make up any funding shortfalls in pension or grants, not to mention all universities are just in build, build, build mode despite the fact that according to current demographics there's going to be less students in 50 years than there are now.

Disorganized in that there seems to be a lack of a unified strategy. They're doing it because they're scrambling.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lmao

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ghomeshi Chat: Guilty or Not Guilty of anything?

I'm guessing Not Guilty :qq:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm guessing Not Guilty too. Even though that piece of poo poo is guilty as gently caress, the crown completely botched their case.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

"I am a concerned mother of three, keep male and female washrooms where our children can pee" is a pretty dope rhyme.

Also I just laughed so hard my face hurts.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 23, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

"I am a concerned mother of three, keep male and female washrooms where our children can pee" is a pretty dope rhyme.

Also I just laughed so hard my face hurts.

I will say the website the video links to is pretty slick http://familyshouldknow.com/ even if it comes down to "“I STAND WITH ALBERTA’S BISHOPS AGAINST TOTALITARIAN ‘GENDER IDENTITY’ SCHOOL POLICY.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Good evening, I'm Flakeloaf; Itkanski is away today.

quote:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/deal-with-teachers-unions-called-net-zero-by-ontario-government-actually-costs-300-million

Contract agreements with teachers and education workers that the Ontario Liberal government boasted were “net zero” actually come with an additional $300-million cost.

The money will be used to set up five health, life and dental trusts that will consolidate more than 1,000 current benefit plans. The government believes it will eventually recover the set-up costs — $175 million to establish the trusts and $125 million to consolidate the plans — due to “long-term efficiencies” and “improved purchasing power.”

The central deals with nine education unions are being made public Wednesday, months after revelations that the government promised $2.5 million to some unions to cover their bargaining costs, which prompted calls for the entire agreements to be released.

Zero rounds up to three hundred million pretty easily, it seems. Could it be that the libs have, in fact, libbed?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

McGavin posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Conservative vetting process involves blood testing for elevated levels of FYGM high enough to stop a Liberal's heart.

I would assume that there's a gut-wrenching initiation ritual not unlike the mafia.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

I will say the website the video links to is pretty slick http://familyshouldknow.com/ even if it comes down to "“I STAND WITH ALBERTA’S BISHOPS AGAINST TOTALITARIAN ‘GENDER IDENTITY’ SCHOOL POLICY.”

It's a squarespace template.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jm20 posted:

It's a squarespace template.

Shows what I know!

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Jordan7hm posted:

They're not exclusively international, but I guess the higher international tuition helps. They must hope that it'll be a long time before people notice that they're turning out increasingly subpar graduates.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Jordan7hm posted:

Disorganized in that there seems to be a lack of a unified strategy. They're doing it because they're scrambling.

It's also because Canadian universities are notoriously bad at negotiating when receiving donations from wealthy people. Education budgets have been getting cut across the country for the last 20 years or so and universities have a few different streams of revenue they've been levering to make up the shortfall. One is raising tuition, one is admitting more international students, one is increasing use of low-paid teachers (adjuncts and TAs) rather than high-paid tenured faculty, one is shifting their focus towards profitable research rather than pure research (corporate partnerships, etc.), and the big one for building construction is increasing the amount of money they make through philanthropy and donations by wealthy alumni. This is where a lot of Canada's new university buildings are coming from.

The problem is that Canadian universities have little leverage in the negotiations over these gifts, and tend not to push the donors for fear of losing the entire donation. Every donor wants their name on a building, but very few donors want to commit to either a large enough up-front payment or a large enough ongoing contribution that the building with their name on it can actually be fully utilized. As a result, buildings are going up across Canadian campuses for universities that don't have the money to adequately fill those buildings with equipment, students, and faculty. At the University of Waterloo it apparently got bad enough that an entire building was completed with a famous person's name on it, but there was no money in the donation to outfit this building with desks, chairs, office equipment, etc., and so the building just sat there completely empty, not being used for anything at all. Yeah, Famous Guy got his name on a building, but it was actually a loss for the university in the short run, which suddenly had to pay the costs of maintaining this massive new building without actually getting any benefits from filling it with productive university assets since, again, there was no money to do so. This was seen by UW faculty as a failure by the university administration, which failed to secure the necessary funds to actually make sure this building would be used before it was constructed. But hey, it all worked out in the end since the president in charge of that negotiation got promoted to a new position where he can no longer make such bad decisions: Governor-General of Canada.

I'm sure some universities have unified strategies for their future, but you're right that a lot of them are scrambling. The biggest reason why they're scrambling is because the last two decades have seen their steady source of state funds getting steadily reduced, leaving them to cobble together the money needed for their operations from a whole bunch of smaller sources instead. A lot of those other funding sources are not discretionary, whereas state funding typically includes a big chunk of discretionary funding. Inevitably, when you do that, you end up with a disjointed and cobbled-together strategy for university operations, management, and development, because they don't have the same flexibility they had before and spend a lot more time thinking about how to make more money and a lot less time thinking about how to move the university forward.

This is besides even getting into the problems of university administrative bloat, of course. That's a whole separate, though related, topic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

I would assume that there's a gut-wrenching initiation ritual not unlike the mafia.

I heard it was pretty simple and all you had to do was suckle orphan's tears from the teat of a 20 foot high statue of Ayn Rand made entirely of purestrain gold.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The student union are Carleton voted to increase tuition 5% a year, and also to lower tuition for foreign students.

The university system is a mess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The student union are Carleton voted to increase tuition 5% a year, and also to lower tuition for foreign students.

Why does the student union have control over tuition fees via a vote, isn't that the university's job? :psyduck:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
especially carleton students lmao

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Frosted Flake posted:

I once attended a CUPE union meeting for my university, mostly for the free pizza, and partially because I wanted to see how this stuff works. The CUPE local meeting I attended was for representing the interests of sessional lecturers and TAs. Holy gently caress are these people the worst, most incompetent morons. The amount of bickering and infighting was insane. They also apparently spent something like $40,000 renovating their office because it felt too 'oppressive', though I'm sure that's just one of many hilarious abuses of our fee contributions.

I can only imagine how dysfunctional other student-run unions are.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The student union at Carleton voted to stop supporting cystic fibrosis charities because that's a disease of white men.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trees and Squids posted:

I once attended a CUPE union meeting for my university, mostly for the free pizza, and partially because I wanted to see how this stuff works. The CUPE local meeting I attended was for representing the interests of sessional lecturers and TAs. Holy gently caress are these people the worst, most incompetent morons. The amount of bickering and infighting was insane. They also apparently spent something like $40,000 renovating their office because it felt too 'oppressive', though I'm sure that's just one of many hilarious abuses of our fee contributions.

Student union elections are a huge scam. At Toronto turnout was regularly under 20% with a very heavy incumbency bias, so as long as you could get on the ticket for the group that had been running the place for the last decade you just won yourself a $40,000/year job with very little oversight.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

flakeloaf posted:

The student union at Carleton voted to stop supporting cystic fibrosis charities because that's a disease of white men.

That's the one that made me start denying I'd ever attended classes there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The cringe is real

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Trees and Squids posted:

I think you're conflating undergraduate student unions and the actual accredited union that represents graduate students and (in some cases) contract faculty.

That having been said, student unions of all types can be pretty awful and CUPE in particular is very subject to criticism. I've been on the picket lines with CUPE and it can get really loving frustrating, especially when you have dueling factions that are both filled with dysfunctional people.

Unions are important institutions but spending some time actually participating in union affairs can be a very eye opening experience for anyone who wants to understand why unions have such a bad reputation with so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
this is what the CANADIAN FEDERATION OF STUDENTS is for u guys