Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

i never want to hear the word meta again

There are better things to be upset about.

interrodactyl posted:

So in other words FADC didn't devalue the shimmy correct?

Or if you believe it does please explain how that works.

FADC did in terms of making overall footsies weaker, but jmcrofts was right in that crouch tech had a way bigger effect.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

im a pretty levelheaded guy but youre killing me here im punching the wall

Do you want to talk on Discord or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

interrodactyl posted:

Please explain how FADC devalued the shimmy

bhsman posted:

I'd have to dig for it but Alioune talked about it at length on Twitter once, though it was more a discussion about why FADC (and overreliance on it) made people bad at footsies.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

so you actually have no idea why you said it

bhsman posted:

Nah, it had to do with removing risk and other stuff (like crouch tech) being better, as jmcroft pointed out more accurately than me.

Brosnan posted:

jmcroft's post didn't agree with what you said.

bhsman posted:

That's what I said?
lmao @ this exchange.. also bhsman have you ever tried forming/expressing your own opinion before? it's tempting to look at already formed opinions from "respected" players to help gain an understanding, and I even think this can be of great help towards greater understanding of a thing. but co-opting the opinions of others without understanding the context and then parroting them to others is pretty :gonk:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the dumbest fighting game jargon will always be that for the first couple weeks of marvel 3 it was called KFC and not XFC for literally no reason

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I know I'm just a relative newbie compared to you, but clearly you're wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLyi1Fx07I&t=184s

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

the dumbest fighting game jargon will always be that for the first couple weeks of marvel 3 it was called KFC and not XFC for literally no reason

Like 2 dudes called it this.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

lmao @ this exchange.. also bhsman have you ever tried forming/expressing your own opinion before? it's tempting to look at already formed opinions from "respected" players to help gain an understanding, and I even think this can be of great help towards greater understanding of a thing. but co-opting the opinions of others without understanding the context and then parroting them to others is pretty :gonk:

Nothing I say will please you guys, so I'm not about to dig through 4 weeks of Alioune's tweets of dozens of hours of Eduardo's streams to see where they talked about it. I screwed up and admitted it. I'd give a poo poo if this wasn't about 2-3 goons being mad about the word 'shimmy' and being SkiSonic.

And not for nothing, Zand, but I've read your rambling posts before and I wouldn't judge too harshly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looking at this discussion I realize that western FGC should adopt more superior JP jargon. Don't be satisfied with just "oki" and "abare"!! When I win my tachimawari I want to get a mekuri sagikasane hame off my gamenhashi setup so I can kezuri their last few pixels

Death to shimmy

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
We already say Shoryu and Tatsu and stuff, we're 90% of the way there!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

Do you want to talk on Discord or something?

no its okay now i forgot what your post was

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Looking at this discussion I realize that western FGC should adopt more superior JP jargon. Don't be satisfied with just "oki" and "abare"!! When I win my tachimawari I want to get a mekuri sagikasane hame off my gamenhashi setup so I can kezuri their last few pixels

Death to shimmy

Nitaku is in niche use. niche being vf. its japonais for low/throw except not low cus its 3d

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They said 'simmy' on Daigo's stream once, so we are all doing our part

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"shimmy" - the japanese word for baiting a throw

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Japanese word for reading the mind of the opponent to bait a throw, you mean

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/712670377890045953

dangerdoom volvo posted:

no its okay now i forgot what your post was

I wouldn't mind chatting with you sometime, FWIW :shobon:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shortly is a word that means nothing

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AnonSpore posted:

Shortly is a word that means nothing

https://twitter.com/_bigjerk/status/710114623752695808

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I realize you really like SFV but that is seriously a Nothing Tweet. There is no information in that tweet at all. It's an announcement about an announcement with no dates or times. A tweet saying "fart" would have answered exactly as many questions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

option selects:https://www.brokentier.com/blogs/brokentierblog/94176513-hit-the-ground-running-8-option-selects

*shimmies forwards*
Probably not worth reading though since they are all going to be patched out
*shimmies backwards*

Also that alternate color for Vega is rad af

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Thatll keep em quiet!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AnonSpore posted:

I realize you really like SFV but that is seriously a Nothing Tweet. There is no information in that tweet at all. It's an announcement about an announcement with no dates or times. A tweet saying "fart" would have answered exactly as many questions.

I mean, it's from today...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Unless they follow it with a blog post today then yeah it's a totally nothing tweet that actually makes me more irritated with capcom than if they'd said nothing at all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bhsman posted:

I mean, it's from today...

And? Will the news on the next update come in the next hour? The next day? The next week (it had better come in the next week since that's the end of March)? What does "shortly" mean?

Aksys caught a bunch of flak about this recently too when they said that the GG Revelator pre-order (and attached demo access) would be available "very soon" and then took three weeks to reveal that "very soon" apparently means a month and a half after the announcement.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

"We'll have some news shortly" = "we'll be telling you the patch is (or is not) coming along smooth and will be out soon"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's the kind of "community management" poo poo that says you need to remain in constant contact with the community (which is more or less true) without any substance to communicate (which is bad). So all they can do is pretend that they're communicating, because no corporate drone is going to say "yo, poo poo's hosed up, sorry for the delay." I hate marketing spin.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Unless they follow it with a blog post today then yeah it's a totally nothing tweet that actually makes me more irritated with capcom than if they'd said nothing at all.

Actually if the blog post comes today it's even weirder because then they could have just made the post without tweeting it's coming soon. There is no scenario where this tweet has more positive impact than negative.

I'm not even mad about it it's just really weird to me that they'd choose to post it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Because doctrine says that you need to be saying something. Even when that something is meaningless. Because there are some suckers out there with no critical thinking skills who'll get a warm a fuzzy feeling knowing that capcom cares about them.

e: I took classes on this kind of thing (and have since heard professionals in the field talk) until I decided that I didn't like constantly lying by omission as a profession. It's a lot like politics, but without any of the idealism.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2016

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

bhsman posted:

FADC did in terms of making overall footsies weaker, but jmcrofts was right in that crouch tech had a way bigger effect.

I'm actually curious how you think those two go together but if you can't explain the concepts you're trying to call out then what's the point of acting like you understand their interaction?

Or if you're just going to say "I saw a twitter discussion on it" then at least source it

I don't care if people use shimmy but it doesn't help your credibility to claim something and get called the gently caress out on it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^You got me, mark yourself down for a point, I honestly don't give a poo poo at this point.

AnonSpore posted:

Actually if the blog post comes today it's even weirder because then they could have just made the post without tweeting it's coming soon. There is no scenario where this tweet has more positive impact than negative.

I'm not even mad about it it's just really weird to me that they'd choose to post it.

I'm with you that it's probably not needed, or at least shouldn't have been put out there unless an update was ready RIGHT NOW, but the fact that there's been nothing from Capcom until that tweet seems relevant. Just thought I'd share it is all.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 23, 2016

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Sounds like the update's getting delayed. If they had good news, that tweet would have said "release date for the update coming soon!" Or maybe it wouldn't, gently caress if I know.

Having put a few hours into Pokken the last couple days really puts the sorry state of this game's online infra into perspective. I have never waited more than ten seconds to get a ranked match in Pokken, even during off hours, but with SFV I spend minimum a minute or two in the queue not counting minute+ long loading screens before and after every match.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The shimmy aka "trumping"

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Make shimmy great again

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
shimmy con carne

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hey cams, I don't know if you already follow vryu on Twitter, but here is a bunch of laura stuff:
https://twitter.com/vryu123/status/712534560421101568
cool. i havent't played her in a bit, but i'm still interested in working on her.

now to go back and read the last four pages which are surely full of intelligent discussion between parties who are hoping to learn from each other with an open mind rather than having petty internet slap fights

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Who are you playing now?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
My best move is unplugging the other person's controller and calling the police

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

150 new posts, thought Alex was revealed. Nope. Just spergs arguing over dumbass video game jargon, lmao.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

150 new posts, thought Alex was revealed. Nope. Just spergs arguing over dumbass video game jargon, lmao.

When will capcom shimmy out the alex patch

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"The Shimmy Meta" is one of the dumbest things I've read recently tho. Can we at least agree on that?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Who are you playing now?
well necalli is my "main" in that i feel he's my best character at the moment, and i'm also working on a fang. got a long way to go with fang before i'm comfortable with him, then i'll go on to rashid to round out the newcomers.

my laura was destined to be awful, i was playing her because i've never really put time into a heavy setup/reset character. learned a lot from playing her, she was a great character to start off sfv with cause she has the fewest "options" of any character in most situations, so you're forced to learn honest play.

i feel bad playing necalli though, he's one of the best characters in the game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dias posted:

"The Shimmy Meta" is one of the dumbest things I've read recently tho. Can we at least agree on that?

No. It makes complete sense.