Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Lots of people typing alpha in that thread.
Is Star Citizen in alpha? I forget sometimes if it is in alpha or not in alpha.

It's in Alpha, with a capital A, silly Pgabz

http://i.imgur.com/GxqRoWs.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

quote:

Same rig, solid 60+ FPS. Are you from Europe? The game only supports the US drivers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bo82j/is_anyone_else_disappointed_in_star_citizen/d1aywvm

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

It's in Alpha, with a capital A, silly Pgabz

http://i.imgur.com/GxqRoWs.gifv

That cat is not in alpha I can tell, that is the finished article

A fully formed cat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol: ladies and gentlemen - the star citizen backers

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Negative about Star Citizen? Must be a goon

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Goobs posted:

I have to ask, why do you guys think all the MLP weirdos and Weabos are drawn to star citizen? I haven't seen one brony or weab that isn't super in love with Star Citizen. Ever.

Someone who I suspect is a furry told me that they hope SC becomes second life in space, and second life is full of furries so..

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

Negative about Star Citizen? Must be a goon

Wow he makes it sound so easy.

*presses CTRL + F to stand up*

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No no no, it's ctrl-shift-middle mouse to void your bowel. ctrl-alt-right mouse empties your bladder. It's all so easy, you have to be trolling.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Shakespeare owns.

The only good thing about Shaking a Spear is the ending.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Unlike SC where there are over 30 flyable ships right now that you can dogfight, explore, fly missions; even land and engage in FPS gameplay on multiple space stations and then there’s Arena Commander our single seater dog fighting test bed that has dogfighting, capture the core, racing, all sorts of game modes that will train you up for the Star Citizen experience.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

HexDog posted:

Someone who I suspect is a furry told me that they hope SC becomes second life in space, and second life is full of furries so..

I watched a documentary on Second Life with my fiancee. She was shocked that the type of stuff that goes on there actually goes on.

My fave part was the grown rear end dude that had his entire form blacked out talking about how he plays as a 11 year old girl in Second Life and that was her true calling.

I'm thinking that if the only way you feel comfortable talking about your hobby is to have your face blacked out, you probably need a new hobby.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sundowner posted:

I seen posts in here earlier bout a book series and it reminded I really fecking need to get back to reading, I bought a kindle a few months ago and legit haven't finish a single book on it yet so pls give me some recs for good sci-fi exploring space and meeting aliens and colonizing space or some pulpy cyberpunk future with psychedelic android trans girls and shadow runners with green mohawks or whatever

i think i'll sit down and actually finish neuromancer.

- "Dune" goes without saying
- Iain M. Bank's "Culture" series is the best
- Stanislaw Lem's "Fiasco" for truly alien aliens
- "Altered Carbon" series for cyberpunk
- "Mars" trilogy for colonization stuff
- Old Man's War for a modern take on Starship Troopers, quality declines in the later books

Some other sci-fi books I've enjoyed over the years, if they are part of a series it's because the rest aren't as good. Some might not be very good books but had some premise that I really liked to see explored.
- War of the Worlds (if you haven't read the book you should)
- Contact (same as before)
- Embassytown
- Roadside Picnic (inspired the Stalker movie/games)
- A Deepness in the Sky
- The Quantum Thief
- The Prefect
- Permutation City
- Blindsight
- The Dispossessed
- A Canticle for Leibowitz (no space travel here, post apocalyptic)
- Eon

poo poo, I'm forgetting a ton of them but this should get you started

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bolow posted:

That's weird because I don't remember there being an AI that achieves orgasm by pulverizing the poo poo out of earth with a mass driver

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is way better :colbert:

Yeaaaaah but if you were describing The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to your friend you'd say "Imagine Robert Heinlein wrote a book."

If you were trying to describe Glory Road to that same friend you'd say "Imagine Robert Heinlein wrote Lord of the Rings."

(I do really like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress though)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

I have to ask, why do you guys think all the MLP weirdos and Weabos are drawn to star citizen? I haven't seen one brony or weab that isn't super in love with Star Citizen. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHrGGDgLE8&t=12s

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D1E posted:

G0RF: can you no-bullshit write a book on Star Citizen?

If you publish it on Amazon and I can read it on my Kindle I will 100% buy it.
It sometimes feels like I'm doing that here, D1E!

Honestly, I can't help but think this story is best told as a documentary. It's one thing to read about botched year end live-streams, jank player animations, endless credential embellishments, on camera eye-rolling, Peter Gabriel parody videos, hilarious Derek Smart moments of scene-chewing monologuing and all of that--- but to hear and see it unfolding, it's just hold-your-sides laughing funny "I can not believe this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED!" cinema. It would be funny even if it was only $10m raised but $110M+ is A Story Of Our Times. Yet it's infuriating and tragic, too-- for reasons we know too well. So it has all the requisite ingredients for a fantastic documentary-- even if you didn't get participation from CIG players.

A book could never be half as fun or funny. Plus, the gaming press (or business press) when they DO finally, finally pull their heads out, nut up and actually start telling this story are going to feast on it for months. It will get skinned, gutted, and sold for meat for ages, so that might dampen demand for 3rd party accounts. (There's much they'll miss of course, because they're lazy, incurious and will focus only on the obvious but hey, that's what they get paid for!)

This is however why an SA compendium would be a gem-- I know I can't stop reading it. I think a chronological compendium of the best posts of the SA Star Citizen threads (going back to thread 1) would be an incredible book-- better in some ways that a straightforward narrative account. It would be an editing nightmare but drat, what a way to give readers a realtime picture of the rise and fall. (Derek's eventual arrival on the scene and eventually into the thread itself is STILL AMAZING to me sometimes-- yet it's just one bizarro plot twist in a story that never stops serving them up.)

Derek's blog posts and other outside material would of course be needed too but I can't imagine any book providing more laughs while also serving the useful historic purpose of depicting the story arc of Star Citizen.

Still, the world needs a documentary of this. And not the one CIG is wrapping up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

:lol: ladies and gentlemen - the star citizen backers

Ooh keep an eye on that dude. He goes back and edits his posts every hour or so and then ends up deleting them. He's sooooper scared of goons.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ravane posted:

Thank you for that btw. Made me :3:

No problem I am here to serve, commando.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Lots of people typing alpha in that thread.
Is Star Citizen in alpha? I forget sometimes if it is in alpha or not in alpha.

Funnily enough, it's not in alpha.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
It's AAA, Triple Alpha

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I love seeing it when guys like A Neurotic Jew jumping into these threads and drop truth bombs, even though they'll get downvoted to oblivion. It's like watching little pieces of the dam break and seeing spergs racing to plug the holes with their fingers.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

G0RF posted:

I love seeing it when guys like A Neurotic Jew jumping into these threads and drop truth bombs, even though they'll get downvoted to oblivion. It's like watching little pieces of the dam break and seeing spergs racing to plug the holes with their fingers.

They plug the holes with wads of cash and their dicks. because why not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323457/why-devs-need-to-decide-on-basic-cargo-features-now

Yes, that's right...he thinks CIG is not releasing cargo mechanics because other games would steal their creative ideas.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tippis posted:

I'd call it a proof of concept but it doesn't prove anything.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I am hungry for more EightAce posts

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

tooterfish posted:

Translation: no one except the CEO is allowed to make decisions in this 300 person, 110 million dollar company.

Which explains why the missing seat went completely unnoticed. When that designer actually did his job and made the call to remove it, there were no communication channels set up to let anyone else know, because why the gently caress would there be?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323457/why-devs-need-to-decide-on-basic-cargo-features-now

Yes, that's right...he thinks CIG is not releasing cargo mechanics because other games would steal their creative ideas.

There is always more, and it is always worse.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Disprove of concept?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

wtf?????????

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

oh my god

perfect

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That's loving amazing.

This thread never fails to deliver.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Renegret posted:

I'd call it a proof of concept but it doesn't prove anything.

It proves they haven't fully fleshed out the concept yet?

:stare: :five:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cosmic Owl posted:

It's AAA, Triple Alpha

AAA as in AAAAAHHHHH jesus christ what did you do with all that money?

All the loving :five:s

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
welp, we can RP Game Testers instead of the game!

that thread is amazing

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I'm dying!

(And brilliant stuff like this is why it has to be a documentary...)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

wowsers

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Holy poo poo

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

:vince:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Who do I have to piss off to have someone make this my Avatar?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I suppose that solves the issue of getting some kind of cinematics in Solar Plebeian. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

I suppose that solves the issue of getting some kind of cinematics in Solar Plebeian. :haw:

It can be the loading screen

• Locked thread