Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm just hoping lazyfire eventually gets to COD: Ghost. It was the last COD game I bought, and I'm probably never gonna buy another COD again thanks to Ghost.

The pain cannot be endured alone. :froggonk::hf::unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Klaus88 posted:

I'm just hoping lazyfire eventually gets to COD: Ghost. It was the last COD game I bought, and I'm probably never gonna buy another COD again thanks to Ghost.

The pain cannot be endured alone. :froggonk::hf::unsmigghh:

I was disappointed that the Ghosts LP died early because there was no way I was going to bother with another COD game after hating MW3 outright and being frustrated by BLOPS2's multiplayer, I'd like to at least watch someone else suffer through the campaign so I don't have to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the plus side, we're getting to what may be the other most-remembered sequence of this game. I'd honestly consider it the highlight... If it wasn't for those loving dogs. :argh:

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

The Casualty posted:

I was disappointed that the Ghosts LP died early because there was no way I was going to bother with another COD game after hating MW3 outright and being frustrated by BLOPS2's multiplayer, I'd like to at least watch someone else suffer through the campaign so I don't have to.

I'm sorry! I might still have all my footage, but it's been such a long time that I just don't know.

e: nope, no footage. :(

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I liked the Ghosts multiplayer, even if I was going alone for a while. I lost most of my buddies because it took me a while to get a PS4. I was a holy terror in Hardcore modes thanks to the thermal sight on the MK14 EBR. Nobody ever ran Incog so they stood out like a beacon in their little camper corners. Oddly, with Oracle being so prevalent nobody tended to use Blind Eye, either.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Remember the original Red Dawn? Remember Wolverines? Remember "god help me"? Remember "I'm all used up"? Remember "go with god"? Remember the somber note the movie ending on, where they didn't bother telling you which side won the war, since an important theme of the movie was that everybody loses in war?

Now remember the remake, which threw all that away and replaced with completely sincere AMERICA gently caress YEAH with out a hit of self-reflection? Remember that feeling of betrayal during the final scene with dune buggys with mounted miniguns blasting apart North Koreans, and prisoners surging towards the wall as an American flag sprouts from nowhere among their ranks?

What I'm getting at is that COD4 is original Red Dawn, while ghosts is the remake. :v: Going in with the expectations of a great COD game and getting ghosts was an immense letdown for me, and I'm done giving IW my money after that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Klaus88 posted:

Remember the original Red Dawn? Remember Wolverines? Remember "god help me"? Remember "I'm all used up"? Remember "go with god"? Remember the somber note the movie ending on, where they didn't bother telling you which side won the war, since an important theme of the movie was that everybody loses in war?

Now remember the remake, which threw all that away and replaced with completely sincere AMERICA gently caress YEAH with out a hit of self-reflection? Remember that feeling of betrayal during the final scene with dune buggys with mounted miniguns blasting apart North Koreans, and prisoners surging towards the wall as an American flag sprouts from nowhere among their ranks?

What I'm getting at is that COD4 is original Red Dawn, while ghosts is the remake. :v: Going in with the expectations of a great COD game and getting ghosts was an immense letdown for me, and I'm done giving IW my money after that.

No one remembers the remake because no one watched it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know i saw that movie and the only thing i can really remember is that Josh Peck was in it and i believe that was only a couple of years or so after his hit sitcom "Drake and Josh" had ended? So seeing him so jacked up and trying to be a serious actor was probably the best part.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Pythonicus posted:

I'm sorry! I might still have all my footage, but it's been such a long time that I just don't know.

e: nope, no footage. :(

Well it looks like you'll just have to record it ALL OVER AGAIN. :v: No, definitely not worth it.

As someone who still likes the CoD franchise, MW3 and Ghosts were so loving terrible I don't even blame people for stopping playing them after that point. Advanced Warfare was a step in the right direction and BLOPS 3 is good, but they really need to start making inroads as far as actually improving their games rather than just reiterating them, because that poo poo didn't fly for MW3, it didn't fly for Ghosts, and it won't fly if they keep trying it. I assume it's mostly apathy on the part of the devs or Activision, since why try and fix what isn't broken, right? But this isn't Madden/FIFA/NBA 2K9000, we need something a bit more than an updated character/weapon roster to make things viable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For someone who hasn't played any CoD since World at War, what made MW3 and Ghosts so terrible?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Regalingualius posted:

For someone who hasn't played any CoD since World at War, what made MW3 and Ghosts so terrible?

MW3 had mediocre level/map design at best, the campaign was even stupider than MW2's, and in a much less interesting way. The multiplayer had all sorts of balance issues that they very rarely bothered to address. In addition to that, a lot of it was straight copied from MW2, with only one or two differences.

Ghosts was just bad all around. They tried to make the campaign interesting but it was about as fun as beating your head in with a brick. They increased the multiplayer map size by a lot, which sounds like a good thing, until you realize the fact that they haven't changed anything else about the multiplayer aside from how you equip perks, and the map design is still generally bad. They straight up copied Treyarch's zombies mode and replaced them with aliens or something, and that was extremely unfun to play, because they didn't understand what actually made that game mode fun. Though to be fair, even Treyarch has trouble on that front sometimes. In addition, at least on PC, they had false system requirements to make everything feel "next-gen" as possible, since it came out around the launch of the PS4 and Xbone.

If I'm forgetting anything/getting something wrong, please feel free to chime in and correct me. It's been ages since I actually played either of these.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The thing that stood out most about the MW3 campaign was how desperately they were trying to make you look through nostalgia googles. It really felt as if they just couldn't be assed to actually try anything new, it was Modern CoD's Greatest Hits Reloaded. Without even the hint of something like an original idea.

Ghosts was just "Remember how cool that guy with the skull mask was in MW1/2!?!?!?!? What if we made an entire game about that guy!!!!!!!!!! And the rest of his team who are just as badass?????" I'm going to give them that at least with moving to the future they got a lot more creative licence in terms of story because they are no longer chained to the geopolitical realities. They just executed it very poorly.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Regalingualius posted:

The stories in MW2 and MW3 were stupid, but MW2's was stupid awesome and MW3's was just stupid (the Russians invade Europe. All of it, at the same time. Yes, all of Europe simultaneously.), and the level design was just boring. Yes, these games are corridor shooters, but every other level is literally funneling you down a corridor (Berlin and... Paris, was it? have you fight down long, wide streets as entire missions. Bleh).

Ghosts is more complicated. The first thing is that it was next-gen, which meant it looked marginally better... if you had a system that could run it. If you didn't, you'd have to turn the graphics down, so it actually looked worse than the older CoD games. It also came after BLOPS 2, which had a (kind of) branching campaign and the option to choose your own loadout, which Ghosts didn't (hope you like the Honey Badger Red Dot!) The story is boring, the setting is wasted, the characters suck (except for the doggie! :3: ), and just... I don't know what else! It's a death of a thousand cuts, because there isn't just one big flaw; It's like the team cared and put effort into it, but just couldn't pull it together.

My favorite moment from Ghosts is shooting Rorke in his stupid face over and over.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

drkeiscool posted:

The stories in MW2 and MW3 were stupid, but MW2's was stupid awesome and MW3's was just stupid (the Russians invade Europe. All of it, at the same time. Yes, all of Europe simultaneously.), and the level design was just boring. Yes, these games are corridor shooters, but every other level is literally funneling you down a corridor (Berlin and... Paris, was it? have you fight down long, wide streets as entire missions. Bleh).

Ghosts is more complicated. The first thing is that it was next-gen, which meant it looked marginally better... if you had a system that could run it. If you didn't, you'd have to turn the graphics down, so it actually looked worse than the older CoD games. It also came after BLOPS 2, which had a (kind of) branching campaign and the option to choose your own loadout, which Ghosts didn't (hope you like the Honey Badger Red Dot!) The story is boring, the setting is wasted, the characters suck (except for the doggie! :3: ), and just... I don't know what else! It's a death of a thousand cuts, because there isn't just one big flaw; It's like the team cared and put effort into it, but just couldn't pull it together.

My favorite moment from Ghosts is shooting Rorke in his stupid face over and over.

the thing about the high system requirements was that IT DIDN'T NEED THEM. It required 6 gigs of RAM to run, even though it only used about 3-4 gigs with everything on high, and when you turned the settings down, which it was definitely NOT optimized for, everything looked like poo poo.

And as for Rorke, don't forget that even when you shoot him over and over in his stupid face, he's not dead.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

And as for Rorke, don't forget that even when you shoot him over and over in his stupid face, he's not dead.

No, I meant the first time ("Birds of Prey"), when you have to capture him. Headshot, game over, checkpoint, run a few feet, headshot, game over, checkpoint, run a few feet, headshot...

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Geez, I just thought up more reasons to bitch about Ghosts.

So, there are two plot threads in Ghosts, those being "the Federation is trying to destroy America!" and "a former Ghost has turned rogue and is hunting down more Ghosts!". The game isn't really strong at telling either, and the invasion plot gets in way of rogue soldier plot.

The characters fail to elicit any emotional reaction other than irritation, because your family consists of a dude bro and an older dude bro-cum-dad, and they all sound vaguely like surfers. There are also squadmates? One is the badass, one is... ?! Uh? I think there were three, maybe? Compare that to MW with Soap and Price and Griggs and Zakhaev (and Makarov and Shepherd), and BLOPS with Mason and Hudson and Woods and Reznov, who are all recognizable and memorable (whether for good or bad reasons). Ghosts has Rorke, who is another surfer dude-bro who is boring, invincible, has unlimited reach and resources, and is always one step ahead. Oh, and the dog who exists to get shot and elicit emotion.

The gameplay is boring. The guns all sound the same, they all feel the same, and I hope you like the Honey Badger or M4 clone the Future army uses, because you will almost always start with those guns. The levels all feel tight and constricted, even in the Restricted Zone or whatever the gently caress it's called, which is an abandoned area that's returned to nature and yet consists of little paths you can't leave. The best mission is probably either Federation Day (infiltrate a high rise and stealthily get intel or some poo poo) or Legends Never Die (a decent urban map that floods in an actually cool set piece). The last mission is also pretty cool, until the very end.

Finally, the pacing of the plot is all hosed up. It shifts from "Invasion!" to "Rorke!" without rhyme or reason. The absolute worst offense is from Birds of Prey to The Hunted to Clockwork. Rorke is captured in the first mission, and is being interrogated in the second, where he suddenly steals that scene from The Dark Knight Rises where Bane fucks the poo poo out of the CIA plane in the beginning, and he escapes. We go from that to... attacking a Federation facility, and doing four more missions while ignoring the super dangerous, smart, and resourceful Ghost killer who now knows who we are, because he saw us in the interrogation! Rorke ambushes the player at a safehouse(!!!) in the ruins of LA, kills daddy, and doesn't show again until the last level. The last level is actually pretty fun, cause you gently caress poo poo up with a tank, then get control of an orbital space gun and gently caress up more poo poo, but bigger.

And then Rorke.

You fight you're way up some future mag-train, get to the front, and fight Rorke in a cutscene. You get a hold of his pistol, a revolver (which is CoD for OHK handcannon), and shoot him in his stupid loving face. The train crashes in the water, and you barely escape drowning, and get to watch the fireworks of the Federation Army exploding from space-bullets.

Then Rorke, who has been shot (in the loving face) (with a revolver) and should have drowned (because you almost drowned) (and you can see his lifeless body, forgot to mention that earlier) comes up behind you without you seeing or hearing(which should be impossible in the area your in) (also you shot him with a revolver in the loving face and saw his lifeless body in the wreckage of the train underwater), breaks your legs, and drags you off to be brainwashed.

The End!

gently caress you Rorke.

gently caress you Infinity Ward.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

That's ignoring the somewhat racist implication that the Federation is only successful because a white man is telling them all what to do.

Actually, I felt more like the evil empire during the entirety of ghosts then downtrodden underdog, for pretty much the same reasons that homefront hosed up.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Man... now I want to play Ghosts again. What the actual gently caress is wrong with me?

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Man... now I want to play Ghosts again. What the actual gently caress is wrong with me?

Stockholm Syndrome

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

the thing about the high system requirements was that IT DIDN'T NEED THEM. It required 6 gigs of RAM to run, even though it only used about 3-4 gigs with everything on high

Well, except for the part where even systems that did have the recommended requirements were still brought to a chugging slideshow whenever it did something new*, like the "dual-render" scopes where just the view within an optic would zoom while your peripheral vision stayed the same as normal, apparently with five metric fucktons of unnecessary depth-of-field (that is the only way I can conceive that somebody could possibly gently caress that up that badly).

*I say new because it's new to the series, but the way they hyped it there's probably CoD fanboys out there who think it's never been done before.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

beru04 posted:

Stockholm Syndrome

correct answer

Ghosts was so garbage I didn't even bother to borrow it to play the sp and I was always willing to see just how garbage the SP got for COD games before and after (until BO2 when I just gave it up)

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Psion posted:

correct answer

Ghosts was so garbage I didn't even bother to borrow it to play the sp and I was always willing to see just how garbage the SP got for COD games before and after (until BO2 when I just gave it up)

Blops 2's SP campaign was actually okay though? (Minus Strike Force Missions) And I mean in comparison to Ghosts it's probably award winner material. :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Blops 2's SP campaign was actually okay though? (Minus Strike Force Missions) And I mean in comparison to Ghosts it's probably award winner material. :v:

I legit enjoyed BLOPS2's SP. The story was as corny as ever but at least the branching paths were neat. Strike Force missions can gently caress right off, though. Such garbage.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

The Casualty posted:

I legit enjoyed BLOPS2's SP. The story was as corny as ever but at least the branching paths were neat. Strike Force missions can gently caress right off, though. Such garbage.

The corniness of the story was in the same vein as the Pierce Brosnan Bond films to me. Fully aware of just how stupid-action movie over the top they were and just loving rolling with it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

The corniness of the story was in the same vein as the Pierce Brosnan Bond films to me. Fully aware of just how stupid-action movie over the top they were and just loving rolling with it.

I hear you. There were definitely a few 80's action homage missions in there. Not just Bond but also Rambo, Navy SEALS, Commando, and even Indiana Jones. I didn't find the bad guy particularly menacing, he's just the typical evil chessmaster type who is always two moves ahead of the player faction. The most important thing was that the missions were, for the most part, fun. The fact that you could could configure out loadout and even access different parts of the level if you took certain equipment with you was really nice, and the branching paths (with something like 5 or 6 different endings, no less) meant I actually played the whole thing through more than once, which is something I haven't done since COD4.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Hmm, while the campaign of BLOPS1 seemed aware that it existed to be an 80's action movie, I wouldn't call Blops 2 campaign self-aware; the future plot was basically "militant Occupy Wall Street members try to invade America" and was played pretty straight-faced. I think that's what most people who didn't like BLOPS2 really didn't like, and I can totally get that.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Now, back to the actual subject of the LP...

You didn't mention, but there's a Javelin in the steeple of the church which you can use to blow up the tank! Which is pretty nice on Hardened.

Also, I love at the end how the satellite fades to an old map with a fuzzy screen, which really helps sell how long-standing the upcoming problem is.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

drkeiscool posted:

Hmm, while the campaign of BLOPS1 seemed aware that it existed to be an 80's action movie, I wouldn't call Blops 2 campaign self-aware; the future plot was basically "militant Occupy Wall Street members try to invade America" and was played pretty straight-faced. I think that's what most people who didn't like BLOPS2 really didn't like, and I can totally get that.

There's a difference between playing things straight faced without a hint of irony and satire, (MW3/ghosts) and what Blops 1 and 2 did. Blops 2 literally had irl Noriega as a bad guy and a super-carrier named the USS Obama sinking. The writers knew exactly what they were doing in terms of being self-aware. I mean hell, Woods 1-ups Hudson for cool-guy points while he's half dead.

And as far as Safehouse goes, I fuckin' hate this mission it gives me so much goddamn trouble every time I play it. The infinitely spawning enemies is a real pain in the rear end until you reach 2/3 of the way through the map. The farmhouse on the left got me killed so many goddamn times, mostly because the helicopter flat out refuses to fire at people in that building for me.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

mostly because the helicopter flat out refuses to fire at people in that building for me.

Every friendly gunship in any game ever has been a minor disappointment after that time I called one in on Overgrown and the kill feed registered every kill I made with it as a headshot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My good friend/terrible LP purveyor BasicsofCQC/DA PANET EARF sent me a link to a wiki that has a ton of information on CoD4 cut content which is really interesting and a fun distraction while I get tomorrow's episode together.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
...I want a Brick Blaster :(

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

The Brick Blaster and "Select a location" are interesting because their melee animations were smacking people with the gun itself, indicating they were going to keep that up from the WWII games before they settled for the quick-knife that ended up being ubiquitous across the genre.

I also like how one weapon and two multiplayer maps ended up being recycled for MW2. The AT4 in particular was pretty much completely finished for this game, they just forgot to actually give it to you at any point. Too bad, too, cause it could lock onto aircraft in MW2 and given the bullshit the RPG-7 put me through in this game, I really could have used something like that.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
It's kind of sad that most of the cut maps are the ones with unique gimmicks. Michael Carver, we hardly knew ye!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drkeiscool posted:

see the problem i had was the backround politics of MW3(yes i know its Cod game and none of that poo poo matters but still) Ok so in MW2 the ultranationalists take over russia politicaly and dissavow makarov because he is crazy zealot who wants russia to be Country number 1 and rule all or some poo poo. So he becomes a terrorist with a massive organazation with ties around the world. anyway he and Sheppard play everyone for their own reasons and because russia is apparently run by W. bush they invade america. ok fine, stupid but whatever. I guess the Russians get their poo poo pushed in and sue for peace. then 3 happens and i have no idea anymore.

on ghosts. I thought the idea was sorta interesting. What if a more militant right wing chavez type figure united parts of south america and took over the rest while america and europe were busy watching the middle east explode. its stupid sure, but if done right it could have been interesting. to bad it wasnt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drkeiscool posted:

well its written by the same dude who wrote dark knight rises. so its basicaly the same story. plus the whole "I wanted you to capture me" trope. BLOPS1 is cool because its dark cold war story that makes everyone a piece of poo poo to an extent and each side is trying to gently caress the other over in hosed up ways. BLOPS 2 feels overly ignorent and right wing, while most cods are mostly politically neutral as possible. i mean in AW, kevin spacey is an rear end in a top hat libertarian who wants gently caress over millions so he can end "Goverments causing wars".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 23, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pythonicus, who has previously started a CoD4 LP, joins me for this episode. It also happens to be one of, if not the, most famous level in CoD. I'm not talking about just this game or just the MW franchise, but all of Call of Duty. We go over the reasons why it's so well remembered through the video, but I'm going to lay out some of my points here:

1) Atmosphere. You wander through destroyed and abandoned places in all CoD games, but none like this. Pythonicus mentions it in the video, but the fact that the whole level has something of a grey filter on it while the rest of the game is pretty bright only reinforces the gloom and despair of the level's setting.

2) Level design. I think there are better designed levels in CoD, especially later in the franchise, but everything from the pacing to the tension while sneaking through a field of enemy soldiers, some of them just inches from you, is fantastically well done and reminds you that CoD wasn't all about explosions and giant set piece battles once upon a time.

3) It set standards. All follow on MW games had missions exactly like this, sometimes a couple. None of them matched up to this one and felt like the developers were going through the motions while at the same time trying to make things more accessible and at the same time more action packed by reducing the penalty for breaking the stealth element at the heart of the mission.

At this point I don't think the CoD franchise has another All Ghillied Up in it. The games are just so different from what this game was and constructing something like this again would be a complete break from the design of the more recent titles. I see this as a sort of like the AC-130 mission in that it is often imitated but impossible to replicate due simply to the impact the level has on you the first time you play it. We talk about it in the video, but when you take over as Price the first time and guided through Prypiat it's just really fun and tense and so different from the rest of the game that it demands attention. Even if they copied the beats of the level exactly I don't think they could make anything nearly as good.

The Chernobyl level also gave way to some of the more memorable multiplayer maps, ranging from Overgrown to Pipeline and giving way to Hushing through matches.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That last sequence where you hold position was the hardest part of my Veteran run by far. Good lord it was nasty.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There are so many different spots you can sit in to make that last bit easier though. To this day i still don't have "No Fighting in the War Room" done on Veteran because of that one hallway everybody who's done that level can remember.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There are so many different spots you can sit in to make that last bit easier though. To this day i still don't have "No Fighting in the War Room" done on Veteran because of that one hallway everybody who's done that level can remember.

The one with the two frontage hallways on either side, each of which has a guy covering the entrance to the opposite one so it's basically dumb luck if you want to fight your way through? Yeah, that might be the single hardest sequence in the game.

EDIT: Wait hold up how the gently caress did I forget about Mile High Club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
If Dogmeat was friendly, what happened to him? He ran off to wreck some Russians according to Lazyfire but when you set up claymores... nowhere to be seen?

You guys poo poo talked MW3 and it totally deserved it but the (first of two in that game) stealth mission ripoff actually semi-owned. You infiltrate an Leonian village taken over by Makarov's allies and it's really atmospheric. Inevitably you have to fight your way out but you briefly cover your squad as they move up using a sniper rifle and then mortar. Should've been a meatier segment, maybe like a mini-AC130 mission. The second stealth mission in MW3 in the rainy city with the Russians was totally unoriginal though. Basically an urban ripoff of Ghillied Up.

The sequels has some good story and gameplay ideas. MW2 moreso on carrying on the MW1 antiwar tradition w/r/t/ Gen. Shepard being a power-hungry authority figure scared of turrists but who the hell knows was going on with MW3's story. Maybe they were ideas that were cut from MW1 but they weren't drawn together cohesively like their predecessor. :(

Dapper_Swindler posted:

see the problem i had was the backround politics of MW3(yes i know its Cod game and none of that poo poo matters but still) Ok so in MW2 the ultranationalists take over russia politicaly and dissavow makarov because he is crazy zealot who wants russia to be Country number 1 and rule all or some poo poo. So he becomes a terrorist with a massive organazation with ties around the world. anyway he and Sheppard play everyone for their own reasons and because russia is apparently run by W. bush they invade america. ok fine, stupid but whatever. I guess the Russians get their poo poo pushed in and sue for peace. then 3 happens and i have no idea anymore.

IIRC the Russians were pushed out of America in MW2 and at the beginning of 3 but were still in Europe afterwards thus the continuing conflict.

• Locked thread