Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Sure but it kills everything you need to kill on turn 4+, Temper doesn't and unless you have a good madness shell, it's pretty meh for 3mana.

Doesn't kill Maw of Kozilek; garbage tier card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't kill Maw of Kozilek; garbage tier card

If you're losing to Maw alot your deck is probably bad.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is there no level of REL where this is allowed? Ignoring whether or not players care, me and most of the players I play against at prereleases aren't big enough assholes to disallow renegs

Until the game state changes (e.g. life total change, trigger happens or spell/ability goes on the stack) then you're typically golden to tap and untap your lands till you find a configuration you're happy with.
I'll see if I can find the relevant comp rules section.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mehall posted:

Until the game state changes (e.g. life total change, trigger happens or spell/ability goes on the stack) then you're typically golden to tap and untap your lands till you find a configuration you're happy with.
I'll see if I can find the relevant comp rules section.

I'm talking about spell 1 already done and resolved but there being no meaningful game state differences by the time you go "shitdamnfuck I tapped my lands wrong"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like all these zombies so far.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

It's still pretty bad in limited. Even if the clue token was straight-up replaced with it cantripping it would be not great.

What? Smite the Monstrous is a very playable card and paying one extra mana to investigate seems like a fair deal to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sarmhan posted:

This one has a more reasonable front-end cost.

Seems a lot better than the blue investigate combat trick they spoiled. The +1 attack is huge because it lets you win a combat where your opponent wasn't expecting to lose their creature. Still not sure if it's draftable though, 3+ mana for a combat trick is overpriced no matter what it does.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

little munchkin posted:

What? Smite the Monstrous is a very playable card and paying one extra mana to investigate seems like a fair deal to me.

3, but ok

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

This is sort of a sideline to the whole discussion of how bad removal is, but what the hell is being investigated here?

"Yup, that's a werewolf. Yeah, I shot it with my crossbow."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Smite the Monstrous costs 4. You're either thinking of Valorous Stance or Gideon's Reproach.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Investigating gives you a clue token. Blowing up the token for a card is separate from Investigating.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Smite the Monstrous costs 4. You're either thinking of Valorous Stance or Gideon's Reproach.

Or Reprisal.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm talking about spell 1 already done and resolved but there being no meaningful game state differences by the time you go "shitdamnfuck I tapped my lands wrong"
I'll usually let stuff like this go once or twice at a prerelease along with "Okay, your turn. Ohnowait! I want to play something else!" If you're talking about rules though, no, it's not allowed.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 23, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

This is sort of a sideline to the whole discussion of how bad removal is, but what the hell is being investigated here?

"Yup, that's a werewolf. Yeah, I shot it with my crossbow."

You kill it then investigate it's blood?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I imagine they probably want to figure out who that werewolf was / who they ate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, as odiv says, in a tournament, you casting that spell moves past the point you can change it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

This card seems really good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

You kill it then investigate it's blood?

Kalli posted:

I imagine they probably want to figure out who that werewolf was / who they ate.

Nothing else about the card's flavor (name, flavor text, etc.) really suggests that though. It's a heroic monster hunter taking down a big beast, which is perfectly fine flavor that has a long lineage in white but doesn't really cross over with the investigate flavor the way they've done it here.

(And to be clear, since I know it can be hard to tell: I was just making a good-natured poke at the card, I'm not really flavormad.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gonna draft the poo poo outta this set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

It seems like the first creature that comes back from the grave in a long time that actually synergizes with Gravecrawler.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So this is making the rounds on social media.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think its really good for limited, but it could be in the middle I guess. Paying 2 cards and 2 mana seems to be pretty loose if you aren't pushing lethal or are close to it next turn. I guess if you are heavy on clue triggers on your cards and have some milling maybe?

I guess 3 power on a flying is pretty good for 4 mana as well. Nah, still pretty okayish.

Edit.. a zombie... well maybe it is pretty good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure they killed off Kozilek and Ulamog so easily so they could focus the Eldrazi into one character, which would obviously be Emrakul, as the most well-known and popular one (because she's the biggest)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

Be more convincing if there was a sort of pattern to it, like if "they" had been the third word in its flavor text, and so on. As is, I'm calling coincidence (though I think it's still perfectly possible that Emmy will be involved on Innistrad).

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

JerryLee posted:

Be more convincing if there was a sort of pattern to it, like if "they" had been the third word in its flavor text, and so on. As is, I'm calling coincidence (though I think it's still perfectly possible that Emmy will be involved on Innistrad).

Reminds me of a time I took a random username, moved letters around, converted some into numbers and made it equal 9/11. If you really want to see something, you will, regardless of whether or not its there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Are there any mythics we don't know about that could be Emrakul?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

That's a little contrived since the wording isn't even the same. However those Clue tokens have such oddly worded flavor text, and the fact that they are Clue tokens, it makes sense that something would be hidden in there. Like, those flavor texts are so vague and generic that I wouldn't be surprised if they took the phrase "Remember this: they came as three" and devised 6 lame flavor texts around it (okay, the one about the tide is not bad). Why would they make 6 Clue tokens if not to hide some mystery? (Even though we knew it was Emrakul the whole time it's good to have a little more confirmation).

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 23, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kilo147 posted:

I've never understood why "vorthos' types can't just read a book or something

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not Emrakul.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

sarmhan posted:

It's not Emrakul.

Duh, Emrakul is not a Sliver.

Emrakul/Sliver Queen OTP tho.

Joke aside, apparently the flavour text thing exists in translated versions too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kilo147 posted:

Do not forget =/= Remember this

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Are there any mythics we don't know about that could be Emrakul?

Yeah, there's still a whole bunch from Eldritch Moon we haven't seen yet. The story progression will be similar to BFZ-OGW, except instead of Kozilek popping up out of the ground it will be Emrakul appearing from behind the moon.

Apparently the Clue thing works in all languages. Like, apparently the flavor text on the Clue tokens has odd word choices in other languages, almost like someone was trying to jam a phrase into them.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 23, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
If it is Emrakul, you wouldn't be getting it until Eldritch Moon anyway.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it is 100% emrakul

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I mean we also have random tentacles and poo poo growing off half the stuff in the card art so it's not exactly like it would be outta left field.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

Yeah, there's still a whole bunch from Eldritch Moon we haven't seen yet. The story progression will be similar to BFZ-OGW, except instead of Kozilek popping up out of the ground it will be Emrakul appearing from behind the moon.

This would imply that Emrakul will job out to the YA self-insert squad, so I loving hope not :mad:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Voyager I posted:

I mean we also have random tentacles and poo poo growing off half the stuff in the card art so it's not exactly like it would be outta left field.

No, Mr Green. Emrakul is just a red herring.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

JerryLee posted:

This would imply that Emrakul will job out to the YA self-insert squad, so I loving hope not :mad:

What if Emrakul jobs out to Tamiyo specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

Oath of Sorin
"For the sake of stability, I will keep watch."

Oath of Liliana
"For the sake of myself, I will keep watch."

Oath of Tamiyo
"In the name of the moon, I will keep watch."

Together with Jace, our heroes discover that even though Emrakul is indestructible, it can still be killed by -X/-X effects. Liliana reduces it to 0/0. Tamiyo was there too.

• Locked thread