Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's also possible that the Arkham Knight has told his thugs to give this information if pressured, or maybe he told this thug in particular. It'd certainly fit that he's trying to guide Batman in certain directions and they don't actually need Penguin any-more. As far as I understand it Penguin smuggled the weapons in and the Knight's Militia retrieved them, as they have the weapons Penguin is now a liability.

Then again I thought it was rather fitting in a way. The Arkham Knight is intentionally mirroring Batman, but where Batman trains and moulds singular people and thus they are individually very skilled and hard to get information out of the Knight has mass produced relatively capable militia forces who aren't as individually capable from both a physical and mental standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Then again I thought it was rather fitting in a way. The Arkham Knight is intentionally mirroring Batman, but where Batman trains and moulds singular people and thus they are individually very skilled and hard to get information out of the Knight has mass produced relatively capable militia forces who aren't as individually capable from both a physical and mental standpoint.

Definitely. If it's a War on Crime, would you rather have a few, hand-picked elite people? Or as many minimally trained, but a poo poo-load of people with a lot of gear and support?

I've mentioned in past Bat-threads, but since I'm in Mexico, I have the benefit of seeing how having military trained people on military vehicles and with military support, patrolling a city works in the long run. And it turns out that it's pretty good at making sure there are no mass shoot-outs with ARs and grenades, but there's still the opportunity robberies, murders and other stuff that a detective might be better at solving.

A soldier might be great at guarding. But finding out clues, tracking down suspects, and making a case? That's a police job.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also possible that the Arkham Knight has told his thugs to give this information if pressured, or maybe he told this thug in particular. It'd certainly fit that he's trying to guide Batman in certain directions and they don't actually need Penguin any-more. As far as I understand it Penguin smuggled the weapons in and the Knight's Militia retrieved them, as they have the weapons Penguin is now a liability.

It would be fun to play with the interrogation dynamic. Have minions give out false information.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What happens if you try to interact with the Joker, like punch him or throw a batarang at him? Does he react at all?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lucius' secretary is there with him. He mentions it if you try to leave the room through those doors.
So, the secretary doesn't know that Lucius is working with Batman, but Lucius somehow convinced them to stay in the city? What do they think is going on?

The Casualty posted:

The weird thing about Batman torturing people is, isn't it somewhat of an open secret that Batman doesn't kill people? You'd think a merc that's been trained by the Arkham Knight would know that he doesn't have to say poo poo, either way Batman's going to just beat him up and throw him in jail.
With the number of people Batman's tortured for information over the course of this series, it should be fairly well known by now that giving up information doesn't help at all and he's still going to put you in the hospital.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The general idea is much like Batman himself they're worried that this will be the time he does kill, after all he's a nutcase dressed like a bat, that's one step away from your average Gotham super criminal.
Hmm, who's more likely to kill me? The guy who's known for working with the police and not killing people (but maybe killed one person once), or the psychotic criminal I work for who clearly has no regard for the lives of his employees? I'll take my chances with Batman. Although the real question is why anyone still agrees to work for any of these supervillains. But then that just goes back to the question of why anyone still lives in Gotham when stuff like this keeps happening. If you're rich, you can easily get out and re-establish yourself somewhere else (somewhere nicer and with better prospects) and if you're poor then at least you'll be poor somewhere with a lower violent crime rate and fewer ninjas.

Crigit posted:

Which still illustrates the erosion of his moral compass, but the context is different. He's not being driven to poor decisions because of the need for haste, he's overwhelmed by the array of opposition and the stress is preventing him from thinking the situation all the way through.
Except he's acting just like he always has throughout the entire series?

Kal-L posted:

The point I was trying to make is that it would make more sense for AK thugs to be coached like "...and just when Batman gets at his most scariest, growliest tone of voice, you give him this fake info so he knocks you unconscious and then goes directly into our trap".

But maybe not all AK thugs can be Ex-Navy Seals or Delta Force or Coast Guards.
They don't need to be. If you're a supervillain in Gotham, you just spread a bunch of misinformation to your men and make sure only people who need to know particular things know them. Batman can torture whoever he wants and, at best, all he gets is a mix of truth and plausible lies.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

So, the secretary doesn't know that Lucius is working with Batman, but Lucius somehow convinced them to stay in the city? What do they think is going on?

Lucius probably said something like "Hey, do you want to make two grand in cash" and then she's working that night, no questions asked.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Tiggum posted:

What happens if you try to interact with the Joker, like punch him or throw a batarang at him? Does he react at all?

Nope, same as any other NPC. I'm not sure if batarangs and stuff pass through him, though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tiggum posted:

With the number of people Batman's tortured for information over the course of this series, it should be fairly well known by now that giving up information doesn't help at all and he's still going to put you in the hospital.

Hmm, who's more likely to kill me? The guy who's known for working with the police and not killing people (but maybe killed one person once), or the psychotic criminal I work for who clearly has no regard for the lives of his employees? I'll take my chances with Batman. Although the real question is why anyone still agrees to work for any of these supervillains. But then that just goes back to the question of why anyone still lives in Gotham when stuff like this keeps happening. If you're rich, you can easily get out and re-establish yourself somewhere else (somewhere nicer and with better prospects) and if you're poor then at least you'll be poor somewhere with a lower violent crime rate and fewer ninjas.

To be fair this is like the first time in memory Batman has actually physically tortured someone for information, in the past it's all been mental. Also him putting you in the hospital means nobody will suspect you squealed. The reason you squealed being that whilst being put in the hospital is bad having every bone broken in your body or whatever other ridiculous but non-fatal punishment Batman can come up with is almost certainly worse.

Most of the big name criminals don't routinely kill henchmen, the one who did it most was Joker and he did so on his own internal whims more than anything else. Also for the most part you're threatening people the Riddler has paid to set up his stupid Riddles and they're thus more loyal to whomever they actually work for.

Also a lot of people don't move out because it's either where they've always lived, they want to clean the town up, or they don't have the funds to leave. I mean a big thing is Bruce Wayne creates a lot of well paying jobs with his construction projects and company. Gotham's upper class is at this point Bruce Wayne, who has reasons for staying, Thomas Elliot, who has reasons for staying, and anyone associated with them who stay because they do. Meanwhile the Middle Class are all probably some variation of a Wayne Enterprise Employee or government official, and anyone who supplies skilled work for those two groups. Finally the Lower Class is probably where the majority of thugs come from, so they stick around because Gotham has good Thugging.

Gotham is not actually as bad as these games portray, remember they're all single nights of a 10 year timeline, with presumably large periods between where you don't have a terrorist threatening to drive everyone insane.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tiggum posted:

Except he's acting just like he always has throughout the entire series?

That's not really true. The point we're supposed to get is that having Joker blood in Batman has hosed him six ways from Sunday. Asylum Batman never really did any interrogations or torture. In City the most aggressive Batman was when he was dealing with Freeze. That was because Bats had had a long night and Freeze was being a dick. It doesn't excuse his lovely behavior, but that was the worst Batman had been in the game. He was still better to his allies than he's being now. It's definitely a decline from "Snippy with Oracle" to "Running a car over a dude's head".

Not that I'm particularly up in arms over the Batmobile thing. I didn't think that hard about it. If I had seen like a live action Batman do that then it probably would've been different.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also for the most part you're threatening people the Riddler has paid to set up his stupid Riddles and they're thus more loyal to whomever they actually work for.

Setting up riddles is not actually illegal. There's a whole bunch of breaking and entering involved in the process that probably is, but overall there's a fair case to be made that the Riddler is doing more in keeping thugs off the streets and preventing them from doing actual harm than Batman in the leadup to these games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arcomage posted:

Setting up riddles is not actually illegal. There's a whole bunch of breaking and entering involved in the process that probably is, but overall there's a fair case to be made that the Riddler is doing more in keeping thugs off the streets and preventing them from doing actual harm than Batman in the leadup to these games.

You know what'd be great? A story on which Riddler hires criminals to set up a bunch of convoluted riddles for Batman without any of them actually committing any crimes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what'd be great? A story on which Riddler hires criminals to set up a bunch of convoluted riddles for Batman without any of them actually committing any crimes.

Mission Objective: Fill in form 764.1/A in triplicate.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mission Objective: Trick criminals into restoring the brickwork on that orphanage in exchange for some rather modest financial compensation and the satisfaction of puzzling the World's Greatest Detective: the Batman.

"Yes, I also require the whole wiring repaired, look, if my great riddles catch fire and burn before Batman gets to them, they are useless. And I can't have that!"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just some poor dude with an electrical wiring manual trying to figure out how to get it so the cage comes down when the pressure pad is activated and the question marks light up at the same time.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Knight's available for 24$ on Steam at the moment if anyone's interested. I bought it with a refund in mind if it doesn't gel with my computer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Only at Ace Chemicals, where he laughs at you and reminds you that you already killed him in the last Rocksteady game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think the car scene is the angriest Kevin Conroy's Batman has ever been.

The interrogations make scene, since the thugs in these games aren't doing what they're doing for ideology. They're mostly petty criminals, sadistics and opportunists looking to make some cash. Even Arkham Knight's guys are mercenaries, and I don't think he's paying them enough to stay silent when there's a dude about to roll a tank on your head. The only enemies driven by ideology are the League and Bane's mercs in Origins, and you can't interrogate them at all as far as I'm aware.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tiggum posted:

Giving up information to the Bat promptly is the difference between just getting concussed or getting an arm broken and getting concussed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

OldMemes posted:

The only enemies driven by ideology are the League and Bane's mercs in Origins, and you can't interrogate them at all as far as I'm aware.

You can interrogate a Venom thug in Origins, but he kills one of Bane's own men out of petty jealousy if I'm not mistaken, so I guess he doesn't count to the degree you meant.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was looking for information on another game when I happened across some click-bait article that was oddly relevant: 11 Moments That Batman Became a Murderer.

Seems like in his wild younger days he was a psychotic killer but now only occasionally dabbles in cold blooded murder when it can conveniently be attributed to alternate universes where it doesn't count. Still doesn't explain why he thinks he has the moral high-ground because killing is off the table but literally everything else goes.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Because he is a crazy person.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord Death Man might be the stupidest comic book name ever.

And I say that knowing full well that there's a character named Coldflame who has the power of inhaling ungodly amounts of cocaine.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Just some poor dude with an electrical wiring manual trying to figure out how to get it so the cage comes down when the pressure pad is activated and the question marks light up at the same time.

Someone had to build the plexiglass tower maze with the exposed electromagnets and the hamster ball, and somebody had to install it in front of the orphanage.

Riddler probably has to spend most of his blackmail markers to get these things built.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And I say that knowing full well that there's a character named Coldflame who has the power of inhaling ungodly amounts of cocaine.
That's Snowflame, actually. So far as I've gathered he was an extremely 90's supervillain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sorry are you saying Snowflame isn't the raddest loving thing ever?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I was looking for information on another game when I happened across some click-bait article that was oddly relevant: 11 Moments That Batman Became a Murderer.

The article is pretty poorly researched, I stopped clicking after 4 because Batman locking up KGBeast was actually a moment of relative growth for Batman in that after an exhausting fight that lingered on and on in stalemate, he said 'nah I don't have to fight to the death with you' and locks up KGBeast in a room for the police to apprehend. In the actual comic by itself it's pretty ambiguous since he lies about KGBeast's whereabouts but in a later issue a few days later Bats alerts the police to apprehend KGBeast when he'd be too weak to pose a threat to them. KGBeast for sure appears in comics a couple years later but unfortunately Tim Drake outwits him fast, easily defeating him, and he's been a much less threatening villain since that rarely sees use.

In any case a lot of people aren't aware that the no-kill rule is somewhat recent, originating around the 80s iirc (though he had been modestly clean for a while - Starlin's Batman allowed crooks to crossfire each other during fights but Bats would almost never be directly responsible for deaths). Comic book readers actually wrote in complaining about an issue where Batman didn't just throw a rabid sniper off a rooftop since the dude wracked up a huge body count and wasn't crazy/interesting on his own. The writers felt compelled to respond and stated something like: Batman doesn't think he's either judge, jury or executioner and so allows the system deal with criminals in a way the public sees fit. For that reason his vigilantism is tolerated. I believe that's the moment when it became a thing.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 24, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I never read any of the comics and don't really pay too close attention the the DC Universe so I'm not sure how accurate anything in the article actually is, I just happened to notice it.

That said, when I was a kid I used to watch the 60's era Batman show when it was on and I don't recall him being particularly violent or killing anyone. Yeah he punched people out in fights but he didn't beat them to within an inch of their lives and them leave them for dead in the middle of the street. I also don't remember him torturing people for information or acting like a mopey, lost soul. When I was ~5-8 the Tim Burton series of movies came out and while they were pretty drat dark I don't remember Batman being as violent as he is now or killing anyone.

It seems Batman's penchant for ultraviolence is recent but I guess the game would get pretty tiresome if you ran up to some dudes and colourful POW! and ZAP! Intertitle cards flashed on the screen every few seconds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tim Burton's Batman killed quite a number of people.

I mean, there's a scene of him setting someone on fire with the afterburner of the Batmobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3wM7_Bch1Y

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tim Burton's Batman killed quite a number of people.

drat, it's been a good 20 years since I last saw some of those; guess they were more violent than I remembered. But a number of those were arguably a "I'm not going to kill you but I don't have to save you, either" situations. And I'm sure the guy who was lit on fire had a good chance of surviving 3rd degree burns to 98% of this body if he stop-drop-and-rolled then got immediate medical attention after that scene.

Jack Nicholson Joker is still as loving creepy as I remember though. Heath Ledger was a great character actor but crazed homeless guy isn't quite as menacing as the actual psychopath Nicholson portrayed. And also that smile.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

^^The '89 Batman actually tells Joker he's gonna kill him at one point.

Depends on which part of the 60s but some of those comics definitely followed suit of the TV program and as we know Adam West Batman was squeaky clean. When Adam West's crawling through a vent and pops the grating, he carefully attaches it back to the wall with a safety hook since he's against both littering and health hazards :v: There was also the matter of the Comics Code Authority banning a lot of violent imagery, vocabulary, concepts and radical ideology, so technically superheroes could kill but not through egregiously violent means. Definitely no torture porn or ultra-violence period. It took several decades for that to ease up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It seems Batman's penchant for ultraviolence is recent but I guess the game would get pretty tiresome if you ran up to some dudes and colourful POW! and ZAP! Intertitle cards flashed on the screen every few seconds.

I would definitely play a game based on the Adam West Batman.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Just doing some Wikipedia research, the Court of Owls seems like a great premise for a Batgame, and the designers could have most members of the Batfamily playable at one point or another, plus Catwoman. Secret ancient evil society, zombie assassins, Owlman, etc. Good stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Psychotic Weasel posted:

drat, it's been a good 20 years since I last saw some of those; guess they were more violent than I remembered. But a number of those were arguably a "I'm not going to kill you but I don't have to save you, either" situations.

Like when the batmobile dropped explosives out of its wheels and firebombed an entire factory filled with goons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPudZd3oI4

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I would definitely play a game based on the Adam West Batman.

Lego Batman 3 has a Batman 66 you can unlock and every time you punch someone a POW pops up. It's adorable.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You could also make a pretty great Arkham game based on Batman Beyond. Even gives a good reason for the upgrade/experience system. As you fight you prove yourself to whoever is supplying you and get better/more inventive with the gear.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like when the batmobile dropped explosives out of its wheels and firebombed an entire factory filled with goons?

No that's just straight up killing everyone but most movies to come out of the 80s were pretty violent in retrospect. But when you look at things like the car crash in Forever (where the henchmen could've just stopped if they were paying attention) or the monastery explosion in Returns (where people had ample time to run away after the initial blast) you could've cut his kill count nearly in half.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Any time discussion of Batman killing people in movies comes up, yeah, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the Batmobile bombing ACE Chemicals. Too bad that didn't appear in the 1989 racetracks, it mostly focused on Batman Returns.

The Blüdhaven Assist/Polsy

New profiles: Simon Stagg

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Batman killing in the Burton movies was actually a call back to the original batman comics.

Batman occasionally killed people in those and even carried a gun.

Older than they think indeed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

dscruffy1 posted:

Any time discussion of Batman killing people in movies comes up, yeah, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the Batmobile bombing ACE Chemicals. Too bad that didn't appear in the 1989 racetracks, it mostly focused on Batman Returns.

The Blüdhaven Assist/Polsy

New profiles: Simon Stagg

He also sets a dude on fire with the afterburner (after it pivots on that retractable thingy under it).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The level of :smug: in this picture is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am very much looking forward to Simon Stagg though, after being reminded of the reference.

And dammit Scruffy, don't just reference league and then not play it anymore. Haven't seen you on in forever! :argh:

• Locked thread