Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

Which one of the modern Fallouts is best for a fist playthrough, please and thank you

Play through them in order, each one is a great time on its own but is really hard to go back to after the improvements its successor makes.

E. Thought you said "first". New Vegas has the most best punching gloves imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

None of them

Yeah.

3 is worth it if you are like me and have a giant crush on Malcolm McDowell's voice. Otherwise just play Fallout 1.

Or

wait.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is easily the best fallout game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Playing NV before 3 was a mistake for me at least

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think 1 and 2 have aged like poo poo, I barely got far in either.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Play 3 and NV at the same time via ttwl. But yeah, New Vegas is absolutely the best for a fist run. Or even a melee run. Kind of funny how the guys who make an fps rpg about dudes with swords are so much worse at melee combat than a dev team with noted gun lover Rope Kid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hell of a name there

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Who is Tonilyn Chippie Kargo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
theyre a person with a hell of a name

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

hell of a name there

7/10 nice figure but her smile looks forced, like at gun point, like somebody is forcing her at gunpoint to smile for this photo

toni are you okay

are you okay toni?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

8-Bit Scholar posted:

7/10 nice figure but her smile looks forced, like at gun point, like somebody is forcing her at gunpoint to smile for this photo

toni are you okay

are you okay toni?

Must have been a real slick miscreant to take pictures of the very moment of the crime and get away with it.

She's been hit by

She's been struck by

A smooth criminal

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I played all of the Bethesda Fallout games in order from 3-NV-4 and enjoyed them that way. I think I start to get disappointed in NV and 4 when they force faction choices, but I love everything in the games up until that point.

I made sure to save a file before they force the faction choices in 4, so I could go back and play the game from different angles or just continue to dick around without constraints. It's nice to have that freedom- choosing factions in these games ultimately just serves to place limits on the player imo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Accordion Man posted:

I think 1 and 2 have aged like poo poo, I barely got far in either.

I think they've aged loads better than 3 and New Vegas.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

LawfulWaffle posted:

Phantom Brave is the only NIS game I've beaten. I found it very easy to power level after a certain point. I also had the Double-Jump guidebook for it. It had some errors, but DJ made pretty good guides while they lasted.

Can you tell me what "A little slippery/a little bouncy" means? I always figured that it related to the properties of the floor the characters were standing on, but it seems like every floor in the game says that. I ended up thinking it was some kind of weird art thing. I never beat it though so what do I know

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
bethesda games are trash

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They were too old and unuser friendly for me before FO3 even came out.

I never played them at the time though, I wonder if that's what old SNES games are like to other people.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

absolutely anything posted:

bethesda games are trash

I'm starting to feel more an more this way. I liked Fallout 3 okay, I liked Morrowind, but that's about it.

Dishonored was supposed to be good, but as soon as they introduced magic powers I quit playing it, so I don't know.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Dishonored isn't a Bethesda game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snak posted:

Dishonored was supposed to be good, but as soon as they introduced magic powers I quit playing it, so I don't know.

lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

but as soon as they introduced magic powers I quit playing it, so I don't know.

This is such a weird thing to be put off by in video games. I mean, to each their own and you don't seem to criticize other people for liking magic powers so that's cool, but still, first I've ever heard someone feel that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dishonored was good but short, unsurprisingly had a lot in common with other Arkane games, especially Dark Messiah, only with more stealth.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like what I've played of Dishonored but for some reason it's never clicked with me. I'm interested in Dishonored 2, maybe a fresh stab at the setting will give me something to get my fingers on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

They were too old and unuser friendly for me before FO3 even came out.

I never played them at the time though, I wonder if that's what old SNES games are like to other people.

There are NES games that control well and PS4 games that control like rear end. It varies you know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a loving ugly looking game though and lol at all the Pratchett refs in a game that took itself super seriously.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if there was a good Amiga game though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bethesda games are trash

Nah, they're very good at what they do, which is get you to waste time running around a giant area with pretty scenery with fun things to kill.

The story, gameplay mechanics, and sometimes the gameplay itself are all mediocre though. Bad to gamers, good for casuals. One of those markets is larger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

There are NES games that control well and PS4 games that control like rear end. It varies you know

Yeah I guess, just when I see people say FO 1 and 2 have aged well I can't imagine how

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Lemmings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I guess, just when I see people say FO 1 and 2 have aged well I can't imagine how

I felt the same way when I tried the original XCOM. Just an insane mush of 800 menus and stats and details

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a loving ugly looking game though and lol at all the Pratchett refs in a game that took itself super seriously.

How in the hell did you get that impression.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nasgate posted:

Nah, they're very good at what they do, which is get you to waste time running around a giant area with pretty scenery with fun things to kill.

The story, gameplay mechanics, and sometimes the gameplay itself are all mediocre though. Bad to gamers, good for casuals. One of those markets is larger.

how many times do i have to say it... casuals are ruining gaming -_-

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Nasgate posted:

i agree, they are very good at being bad games that sell to idiots

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

This is such a weird thing to be put off by in video games. I mean, to each their own and you don't seem to criticize other people for liking magic powers so that's cool, but still, first I've ever heard someone feel that way.

I guess it is. I just don't see the appeal of "i'm a badass and I have badass weapons, but since that's not enough I also use magic powers to be even more badass". I don't think the most video game magic powers are interesting or aesthetically pleasing or badass.

Like I'm literally the guy who, when he plays DnD, wants to dual-wield so I play a ranger, but I insist on playing a non-magic using ranger variant because I don't know which part of wanting to gently caress poo poo up with a hatchet and a club means that I should also be using spells.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

how many times do i have to say it... casuals are ruining gaming -_-

Nah, the trick is that it gets more people into gaming. Bethesda games are a gateway drug.

i agree, they are very good at being bad games that sell to idiots

Depends on the metric for "good game".
Financially they are extremely good. For j chillin or engaging in that colorado past time, they are extremely good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
most of dishonored's "magic" are abilities that let you reposition yourself or distract enemies, it's entirely utility that wouldn't make sense in a realistic context.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

How in the hell did you get that impression.

The sheer amount of ridiculous grimdark poo poo in it I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

most of dishonored's "magic" are abilities that let you reposition yourself or distract enemies, it's entirely utility that wouldn't make sense in a realistic context.

Yes, which means that it's not viable to play the game without using magic, since it's designed around using these abilities. Which isn't what I was in the mood for.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Snak posted:

Yes, which means that it's not viable to play the game without using magic, since it's designed around using these abilities. Which isn't what I was in the mood for.

I'm sorry for your broken brain.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
To be fair, playing through games with magic as just a dude who sneaky or strong is pretty fun and badass. My favourite dnd character was a fighter who did this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

The sheer amount of ridiculous grimdark poo poo in it I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA&t=45s

This unrelenting serious grim darkness and not at all something out of Robocop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Lionheart

• Locked thread