Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

Yes, which means that it's not viable to play the game without using magic, since it's designed around using these abilities. Which isn't what I was in the mood for.

I want to know what went wrong to the point where you must have seen this

bought the game, and thought magic wouldn't factor heavily into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Snak posted:

Yes, which means that it's not viable to play the game without using magic, since it's designed around using these abilities. Which isn't what I was in the mood for.

there is an achievement for playing through using the minimum amount of magic. So it's not like it's totally impossible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

I'm sorry for your broken brain.

I don't think that my brain has to be broken to prefer certain types of make-believe. It's not like I never play games with magic or whatever, but I was sold on Dishonered as being in the vein of Thief and Deus Ex, and then it became clear that air-dashing and teleporting or whatever were gonne be core game mechanics, which isn't really what I was looking for. Ditto with BioShock being about a retro-Randian dystopia "but with super-powers".

Nasgate posted:

To be fair, playing through games with magic as just a dude who sneaky or strong is pretty fun and badass. My favourite dnd character was a fighter who did this.

Yeah I don't have as much of an issue with magic in the setting if it's viable to play a character who doesn't use it. I would still prefer a setting without commonplace magic, though.

edit:

Lizard Wizard posted:

I want to know what went wrong to the point where you must have seen this

bought the game, and thought magic wouldn't factor heavily into it
Virtually all video games and fantasy settings have some combination of glowy bullshit and magic in them. That's a foregone conclusion. I did not know that the magic would be important movement mechanics.

It's not my fault that developers are literally allergic to making fantasy / medieval games that don't have magic bullshit loving everywhere. I just want to kill poo poo with swords and knives and spears and poo poo.

Witcher 3 was pretty awesome, because it was up to you how much magic you used yourself, and caster enemies were few and far between.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 24, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked teleporting. In general games should try to implement fun transportation mechanics, you can always have a good time if you can glide or teleport or double jump everybody loves a double jump

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

if you don't think shooting bees from your hands is super neato, something went wrong with you somewhere along the line.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA&t=45s

This unrelenting serious grim darkness and not at all something out of Robocop...

That was in reference to Dishonored not Fallout

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dishonored is the best and i need to buy and then play dark messiah of might and magic

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best magic in all games is in Dragon's Dogma.

Set yourself on fire so you can climb all over a griffin like a firey roach? Check

Shoot an arrow that turns into a giant ball of light to see for miles around? Check

Send goblins flying into the air by raising a giant pillar of ice? Check.

Meteor storms and tornadoes so intense they slow consoles down to single digits fps? Double check.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

dishonored is the best and i need to buy and then play dark messiah of might and magic

It was the best kicking poo poo off cliffs simulator we had until Dark Souls

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

That was in reference to Dishonored not Fallout

Oohhhhhhh. Disregard my foolishness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No worries, wouldn't be the first time I've misread the tone of something. I was honestly trying to think of anything in Dishonored that might have lightened it a bit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No worries, wouldn't be the first time I've misread the tone of something. I was honestly trying to think of anything in Dishonored that might have lightened it a bit.
Catching Piero spying through the keyhole. A bunch of poo poo at the party. Some dialogue. It's mostly dark humor.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Catching Piero spying through the keyhole. A bunch of poo poo at the party. Some dialogue. It's mostly dark humor.

The first is my fav. because after you catch him spying he still extorts you for booze.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

No Such Thing posted:

there is an achievement for playing through using the minimum amount of magic. So it's not like it's totally impossible.
You only have to use Blink once in the tutorial area for it. The rest of the game can be beaten without any abilities.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Nasgate posted:

The best magic in all games is in Dragon's Dogma.

Set yourself on fire so you can climb all over a griffin like a firey roach? Check

Shoot an arrow that turns into a giant ball of light to see for miles around? Check

Send goblins flying into the air by raising a giant pillar of ice? Check.

Meteor storms and tornadoes so intense they slow consoles down to single digits fps? Double check.

You forgot the best spell, the one where you make an energy ball or three that shoot other balls and then make a death circle that you lure a dragon into. Then it dies in 2 seconds via one million energy balls

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just loving play STALKER its the best fallout

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am not a fan of magic either, but that is just because I like being the person who is really good at stuff in a non magic world which seems way more interesting to me.

But its like, Dishonored, the point is doing crazy poo poo as much as ya can.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember when Stalker was the YCS game of choice

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

just loving play STALKER its the best fallout

How many power fists are there

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lizard Wizard posted:

How many power fists are there
None, but there's a lot of vodka.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How many Stalker characters exist solely to make fun of a former vice president.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

None, but there's a lot of vodka.

Does the vodka help me fist things?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

by the way if you like stealth games styx is a good stealth game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

well gently caress me, how long has there been a demo for pokken

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does the vodka help me fist things?

It helps you not die of radiation poisoning. You can't fist things if you're dead.

So sure.

edit:

Yeah. It's a little rough around the edges, and the voice acting is... well it is. But the gameplay is pretty fun. I should go back and beat it, I'm most of the way through it, I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i think styx 2 is going to be good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

i think styx 2 is going to be good

Wait, there's gonna be a Styx 2? gently caress yeah!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

no it loving isn't styx is half-broken garbage.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's stealth gameplay is pretty loving good, I'm willing to overlook some rough edges seeing as there aren't exactly an excess of stealth games coming out every year.

The sequel is moving to a new engine (UE4) and will probably clean up the control issues. The biggest problem in the first one was some of the platforming was really sketchy in ways that would get you stupidly killed despite being able to lock on to climbing points in almost every other situation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Good poo poo.
Now do one with magus as the taint reaper.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh, are you doing requests?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Pretty much. Some folks are a little pissy about the official localization not being what they wanted or something.
I made this for... I think last month's thread, but I'm gonna post it again:

Frankly, I'm just surprised 3DS ROM Hacking is a thing nowadays.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Normal person playing Chrono Trigger: Ah, the frog's name is Frog. I understand this.

Insane person playing Chrono Trigger: What the gently caress are they calling him "Frog-san" or "Frog-kun," how exactly are they addressing him, I can't figure out from context how the characters relate to and interact with him!
Legends of Localization is a really cool site by a professional translator/localizer, where he details what changed in classic games and why. His FF4 section compares every translation of that game, including a crappy fan-translation, so it's sort of fun to see how different methods and levels of professionalism handled things.

PBS Newshour posted:

I really like Downwell but I am bad at it.
It's pretty tricky! Keep at it!

Nasgate posted:

Bad to gamers, good for casuals. One of those markets is larger.
(starts violently thrashing around, blood-flecked foam spewing from mouth) FffFFFffucking CASUALSSSLSLS(repeat until restrained by at least three burly nurses)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I AM THE KING OF DRAGON TOWN

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AND I BRING YOU FIRE!

Duh duh dern dern

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
CONFIRM THE ORIGIN OF FIRE

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hahah
http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-black-mantas-anti-drug-message/

exerpt:
Translation: Ninja: Hmm, I’m not sure. I don’t have much information to go on yet. Do you know of a kid named Sasuke?
English Version: Ninja: It seems to be drug related. You don’t use drugs, do you?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could go on for a millennium about bad Jaleco localizations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I could go on for a millennium about bad Jaleco localizations.

Please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ninjas don't use drugs

• Locked thread