Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 1G Impreza was cool but pretty conventional for a Subaru. The last batshit insane economy Subie was the Loyale.

Actually, we just had someone call for parts on a loyale today. I don't have the first clue what it is and I need to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The MX-5 RF looks amazing in the flesh. As does the 911R (check Ars in a day or two for an interview with Andreas Preuninger). The BMW M760i and Alpina B7 are both stunning too; can't wait to get some seat time with them.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

blk posted:

Acura managed to make the MDX look worse

Better then the beak

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

drgitlin posted:

The MX-5 RF looks amazing in the flesh. As does the 911R (check Ars in a day or two for an interview with Andreas Preuninger). The BMW M760i and Alpina B7 are both stunning too; can't wait to get some seat time with them.

That is phenominal; Preuninger is a god to the GT crowd. Make sure to thank him for returning manuals to the GT cars so the 997 GT3 market cools down a bit. I love seeing your car-related content on Ars, keep up the good work.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

blk posted:

Acura managed to make the MDX look worse

That Acura logo is HUGE! It's the size of a plate! Countdown until some manufacturer makes it the ENTIRE GRILLE.

Oh wait. Ram took care of that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

0toShifty posted:

That Acura logo is HUGE! It's the size of a plate! Countdown until some manufacturer makes it the ENTIRE GRILLE.

Ford had you covered in 2010:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yet, somehow, its not as obnoxious in my eyes. Maybe because it isn't chrome?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Crap, didn't refresh for 10 minutes.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

Yet, somehow, its not as obnoxious in my eyes. Maybe because it isn't chrome?

Yes, big shiny chrome leaf up front catches the eye a little bit

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

StormDrain posted:

Ford had you covered in 2010:

Oh drat that's the entire thing! Forgot about that one!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

angryhampster posted:

The little V6 also sounded delightful with simple mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6RqYYe5do4

Oh man, that takes me back. Learned to drive stick in my friends 93 MX-6 back in high school. He had some cheap eBay headers and no-name muffler, but it sounded sweet.

https://youtu.be/XAc_xTgheQg
[random YouTube video]

It's kind of sad that a lot of cars sound like vacuums with forced induction these days.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That is phenominal; Preuninger is a god to the GT crowd. Make sure to thank him for returning manuals to the GT cars so the 997 GT3 market cools down a bit. I love seeing your car-related content on Ars, keep up the good work.

Thanks! That makes a nice change from the commenters who either say "you're ruining the site and why the gently caress is Ars writing about cars" or "why do you drive so many expensive cars I can't afford" or "herp derp $30k for a Bolt is way too expensive it should cost $15k".

If you have topics you'd like to see us cover lmk, always open to suggestions.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

0toShifty posted:

Man you think that's bad, look at the tailgate on that thing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kanish posted:

Man you think that's bad, look at the tailgate on that thing.

So I thought that was bad:

Until I remembered these:

Edit: forgot the one with the most letters:

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 24, 2016

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
To be fair, truck styling is so boring that there's really not much to distinguish the brands.

Of course, crossovers are even worse about this yet the Rav4 doesn't have a big rear end TOYOTA badge on the back anymore.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
None of the old school brand logos on pickups look anywhere near as bad as that RAM badge.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

fknlo posted:

None of the old school brand logos on pickups look anywhere near as bad as that RAM badge.

It might be either the unnecessary stuff around it "REBEL" "4x4", or that the others are mostly stamped steel rather than raised plastic.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It's instructions for how to get the drat things out of the passing lane.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You guys forgot the best old school tale gate.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

fknlo posted:

I swear their focus group consists of a classroom of 4 year olds

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

drgitlin posted:

Thanks! That makes a nice change from the commenters who either say "you're ruining the site and why the gently caress is Ars writing about cars" or "why do you drive so many expensive cars I can't afford" or "herp derp $30k for a Bolt is way too expensive it should cost $15k".

If you have topics you'd like to see us cover lmk, always open to suggestions.

Yeah it's an uphill battle writing about performance cars on a tech/lifestyle site. I really enjoy the comments on almost every article but I definitely skip the comments on your car articles. In my experience those two segments don't have a lot of overlap.

I think your articles do a good job of having detailed information without driving too many people away. I read Rennlist so you definitely don't want advice from me.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

a primate posted:

I swear their focus group consists of a classroom of 4 year olds

In other words, the people that buy brodozers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sooo new navigator

Jk apparently the gullwing doors are just on the concept to show off the interior, and won't be on production.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Laaaame

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Cage posted:

Sooo new navigator

Jk apparently the gullwing doors are just on the concept to show off the interior, and won't be on production.

Florida version?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's a Range Rover. That side view couldn't be any more Range Rover if it tried. It's like Landwind levels of blatant.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

MrOnBicycle posted:

Florida version?

Nah, that version has Rascal scooter ramps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

88h88 posted:

That's a Range Rover. That side view couldn't be any more Range Rover if it tried. It's like Landwind levels of blatant.

its for all the people that want a range rover but can only afford used navigators

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BraveUlysses posted:

Sooooo good. I wonder how much more it weighs.

110lbs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Yes.

E: better images

Here's a video of the top going down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5B5n_ncdIs

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'm kinda surprised they went with the rear window set at such a high angle. I'd thought conventional wisdom is that hurts aerodynamics by creating a vacuum that increases air pressure at the trailing edge of the roof with excess turbulence behind the car? Especially with how car makers are always trying to make stuff more aerodynamic, less rolling resistance, make everything slippery. Like with the orange-peel paint that may or may not give the car a golf ball effect.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oRenj9 posted:

To be fair, truck styling is so boring that there's really not much to distinguish the brands.

Of course, crossovers are even worse about this yet the Rav4 doesn't have a big rear end TOYOTA badge on the back anymore.

I prefer "TOYOTA" to their 1991+ Logo. The Nissan and Mazda Logos also don't look great.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm kinda surprised they went with the rear window set at such a high angle. I'd thought conventional wisdom is that hurts aerodynamics by creating a vacuum that increases air pressure at the trailing edge of the roof with excess turbulence behind the car? Especially with how car makers are always trying to make stuff more aerodynamic, less rolling resistance, make everything slippery. Like with the orange-peel paint that may or may not give the car a golf ball effect.

buttresses, tho.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CornHolio posted:

buttresses, tho.
He has a point though.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

I prefer "TOYOTA" to their 1991+ Logo. The Nissan and Mazda Logos also don't look great.

I quite like the Mazda logo actually. The Toyota logo is looking a bit dated, and I don't think the Nissan logo ever looked good.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Being back Datsun

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Bring back Kwaishinsha Motor Car Works

Yeah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bring back Ahura's flame