Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SynthOrange posted:

Just set them to ragdoll and apply upward force to the ribcage bone. Boom, fulton.

Sounds like fun. Whoosh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Sounds like fun. Whoosh!

i'm pretty sure that's pretty close to how MGSV got its fulton animations too

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SynthOrange posted:

Just set them to ragdoll and apply upward force to the ribcage bone. Boom, fulton.

Haha, yeah, I think I could get away with a first version that is just this. Doesn't fix my being utterly lost on getting the carry animations to work on the enemy. My issue is it's really difficult to see where the associations are in the code. Like I can see where the animation for the carrier gets called, they even have 4 modifiers for Male/Female carrier and Male/Female body, and I see where all that gets set, but nothing for the body itself being picked up. It would make sense I guess that they rag doll it and they seem to use IK for the raise in the carry animation, but having seen all this I have no idea what's next to make it work for the Advent.

I probably just need to start prodding the system to see what I CAN change.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you looked at the Playable Advent mod?

The developer posts in this thread: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3879390-playable-advent-mod-details-feedback/

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
For anyone on your first play through, I didn't notice this myself so just in case you don't also in the last mission The Dimensional Rift ability for the Commander's Avatar does damage as soon as you cast it, not when it explodes the next turn like the Codex ability. It's essentially a gigantic psionic grenade on a 4 turn cool down. The tool tip for it doesn't make it sound like it does immediate damage though. Also, it doesn't end your turn so you can Rift + Shoot with the Avatar in the same turn.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Reik posted:

For anyone on your first play through, I didn't notice this myself so just in case you don't also in the last mission The Dimensional Rift ability for the Commander's Avatar does damage as soon as you cast it, not when it explodes the next turn like the Codex ability. It's essentially a gigantic psionic grenade on a 4 turn cool down. The tool tip for it doesn't make it sound like it does immediate damage though. Also, it doesn't end your turn so you can Rift + Shoot with the Avatar in the same turn.

The nice part is it does damage on cast and then again when it explodes the next turn. It's too bad that you don't get that power before then.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Pilchenstein posted:

I feel like the guy who names the ops is undermining the seriousness of our endeavour.

Never forget:
http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?174656-Operation-quot-Crystal-Night-quot-!-in-GERMANY-!-!-Are-you-kidding-me

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SynthOrange posted:

The developer posts in this thread: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3879390-playable-advent-mod-details-feedback/

Yeah, might try that. Cheers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kwyndig posted:

The nice part is it does damage on cast and then again when it explodes the next turn. It's too bad that you don't get that power before then.

Probably because it's complete bullshit like the original volunteer rift. I imagine that the designers added it because the Temple Ship and Underwater Ayy Fort are slogs and having a rechargable nuke all enemies button helps with that, since you need to conserve grenades for challenging parts at the end.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I love that guy, whoever he is. Yesterday we went on operation Doom Tooth.

Sweaty Whisper is the best I've had, and the cherry on top was for a knockout the VIP mission

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I love all the people getting angry at the suggestion that they remove that as a possible operation name, show gamers any hill at all and they'll try to die on it. :v:

Also, the final mission was wank. Again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Classic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Using this plus a normal Rift's tendency to confuse enemies, keep them in the original AoE, and Rupture them basically wipes everything out using only two characters, albeit on a relatively long cooldown.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ravenfood posted:

Using this plus a normal Rift's tendency to confuse enemies, keep them in the original AoE, and Rupture them basically wipes everything out using only two characters, albeit on a relatively long cooldown.

If you are facing a lot of melee enemies you can also throw a mimic beacon in the middle :haw:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I had to restart the last mission on my iron man commander run, and now when I reload the mission none of my troops are getting the bonuses from their ammo or armor. Like, I've got dudes with equipped shredstorm cannons but they have no bonus health or armor. Has anyone else run in to this? I can't exit out of the mission to re-equip my team either. Everyone has their grenades and medkits etc, just no ammo or armor bonuses.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Now this is a weird one. My saved campaign works fine, play all day, no crashes.

No one else's campaigns will work. New campaign, saved campaign, no mods, all mods, they all crash at the mission screen. :iiam:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Away all Goats posted:

If you are facing a lot of melee enemies you can also throw a mimic beacon in the middle :haw:

I always love the friendly fire warnings for mimics/MCed enemies. "ARE YOU SURE?" "Yeah, gently caress 'em."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Reik posted:

I had to restart the last mission on my iron man commander run, and now when I reload the mission none of my troops are getting the bonuses from their ammo or armor. Like, I've got dudes with equipped shredstorm cannons but they have no bonus health or armor. Has anyone else run in to this? I can't exit out of the mission to re-equip my team either. Everyone has their grenades and medkits etc, just no ammo or armor bonuses.

Known bug when you hit restart mission button :/ I'm surprised they didn't catch that one in the first patches.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Haha, yeah, I think I could get away with a first version that is just this. Doesn't fix my being utterly lost on getting the carry animations to work on the enemy. My issue is it's really difficult to see where the associations are in the code. Like I can see where the animation for the carrier gets called, they even have 4 modifiers for Male/Female carrier and Male/Female body, and I see where all that gets set, but nothing for the body itself being picked up. It would make sense I guess that they rag doll it and they seem to use IK for the raise in the carry animation, but having seen all this I have no idea what's next to make it work for the Advent.

I probably just need to start prodding the system to see what I CAN change.

Don't forget to add Miller randomly saying "Subject onboard. Leave the rest to us." "Do you want to extract him?" etc. every time. This is very important.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I had to disable the increased enemy squad size mod because it made my rig lag and run like a plane on fire. Which in retrospect is a good thing cause with all the new enemy type mods I made it started to look like a warhammer skirmish game than xcom

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Reik posted:

I hit this too. Wound up just using console commands to give my squad infinite actions to get through the mission. Sure made the final room fun!

Good news is using the console doesn't prevent you from getting achievements! :v:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Reik posted:

One thing I found about this ability is that the end explosion is slightly bigger than the initial rift. I found this out after carefully lining up avoid the thing to avoid a dominated Gatekeeper. It was no big deal though, since I could just use consume on my regenerating Avatar.

The AI doesn't seem to have any ability to discern that it should move out of the area or avoid moving it into it. That goes for the Codex's rift as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I have a weird circumstantial question: When my squad leaves concealment except for one with the perk that keeps them concealed, and that person attacks an enemy and breaks their individual concealment, is it intended behavior that the enemy they hit gets an instant chance to retaliate out of turn? Because I just got a guy almost killed by assuming that the enemy would do what they normally do when concealment is broken outside of their turn and take cover without attacking.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Updating the game in the middle of a mission doesn't always work quite right.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

CJacobs posted:

So, I have a weird circumstantial question: When my squad leaves concealment except for one with the perk that keeps them concealed, and that person attacks an enemy and breaks their individual concealment, is it intended behavior that the enemy they hit gets an instant chance to retaliate out of turn? Because I just got a guy almost killed by assuming that the enemy would do what they normally do when concealment is broken outside of their turn and take cover without attacking.

The fix for the Beagle manouevre, breaking concealment with someone out in the open, is that if you break concealment in the open enemies have a chance to shoot rather than scatter. If you break concealment within cover you [strike]are[/strike] should be safe.

E: I have no idea what the line through bbcode is. But you get the idea.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CJacobs posted:

There is a chance of that happening, yes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

man there sure are a lot of mad people in that thread

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Hello XCOM thread I'd just like to share my story with you.

My Ironman game, despite some bugs that cost me a chunk of my A-team, was very nearly complete. I was about to do the radio tower mission, had a double bench of colonels, every country contacted, four fully trained psi guys. Just good times all round.

While I'm playing I'm also transferring a file off an FTP onto my local machine for work purposes. It's a big file, but hey, didn't think twice about it, I've got tons of space on this machine.

Except I wasn't copying it to my nice beefy RAID array, I was copying it to the SSD where my OS and games are installed. Including XCOM. Including where XCOM writes savegames.

Just as I leave to go on a mission, the disk fills up from the file transfer. XCOM tries to write an autosave (since it's Ironman) and fails to do so, due to their being 0 bytes free. So the game crashes.

Since it overwrites the save file as it goes to write a new one, it has deleted my save in the process.

So two missions from finishing my first ironman run, I now have a savegame with zero bytes of data.

So, there goes my run, two missions from finishing. I hope you enjoyed my story and can at least relish the schadenfreude.

Because.... gently caress me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I already rage uninstalled today :v:

:xcom:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I can't get angry at this game; it's my zen peace-out title that packs me off to my happy place and I will never uninstall it.

It's chess with explosives, can't get more chill than that.

vvv That's unfortunate :( ... Maybe a few more gigglebytes and a flatten and reinstall might sort it in future - or two hundred thousand less voice samples :v:

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 24, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, my family has logged 300 hours already :v: But the endless crashes are wearing me down.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The big problem with me is when I enter the victory lap portion of the game and the same ol' enemies appear again and again, I just lose motivation to actually finish a drat campaign. Some variety mods will definitely be useful, especially for enemies. Especially especially brand new ones so not every mission is Gatekeeper Gatekeeper Archon Archon Archon Archon.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

The big problem with me is when I enter the victory lap portion of the game and the same ol' enemies appear again and again, I just lose motivation to actually finish a drat campaign. Some variety mods will definitely be useful, especially for enemies. Especially especially brand new ones so not every mission is Gatekeeper Gatekeeper Archon Archon Archon Archon.

Realistically you'll get purple gatekeepers and green archons as mods...

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Bholder posted:

Realistically you'll get purple gatekeepers and green archons as mods...

Red mutons with bigger guns did a decent job of keeping things exciting last time

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crosspeice posted:

All aliens all missions might give you beserkers, faceless and chrysalids :v:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SynthOrange posted:

This put me on the right path. I finally realised that Archetypes are the glue that holds poo poo together, and lo and behold, that's where you declare the animation sets. Inheriting from the Base Classes, I added AS_Carry and AS_Body to the animation sets for the Advent and all was well:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
What does the "ambient narrative" setting actually do? I had hoped it stopped Bradford & Sons from pausing the camera and talking my glass eye to sleep every time I saw an enemy or an objective or anything else but apparently not. I just want to get all my guys in killed in peace, is that too much to ask?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think is it about when they talk about Advent burgers and stuff like that while you are at the Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AHAHAHAHA MOTHER FUUUUUUUUCK IT WOOOOOORKS.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 24, 2016