Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Were you ever really diagnosed with anything or just kinda grew out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I went on a mission for my church to Brazil and spent 2 years in the poorer part of Sao Paulo watching people who actually had to struggle to get enough to eat and teens getting pregnant and people getting shot in drug wars and terrorized by abuse and that kind of burst my stuck up whitebread Mormon bubble and I realized I wasn't a special snowflake but instead a human living with other humans who were all just trying to make it through life. I started actually listening to people and taking interest in their lives and things outside my own hobbies. A little world perspective and empathy fixed me right up.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

If you were female, I would be sure I went to school with you. Knew a girl a lot like that, who was strangely also mormon.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
You know, thanks to Steven Universe, I'll never be able to tell if someone who names their kids after gemstones is just pretentious or Lily style crazy.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Well, hey, at least you never tried to control anyone else with your rapturial ideals and dictate the very terms of their reality, so no harm no foul?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Semi-related question to keep the thread active: is it just me, or is there a link between borderline-nuts, female, neopagan anime fans and fibromyalgia? I've never met one who didn't either have "fibro" or some other self-diagnosed disorder that prevented them from having a social life or holding down a job.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Deified Data posted:

Semi-related question to keep the thread active: is it just me, or is there a link between borderline-nuts, female, neopagan anime fans and fibromyalgia? I've never met one who didn't either have "fibro" or some other self-diagnosed disorder that prevented them from having a social life or holding down a job.
My mother's a borderline-nuts, female, fundamentalist Christian, and she actually has fibro (and has been on and off disability since I was like 8), so I dunno. My mother spent years struggling to find a doctor who didn't just tell her it was all in her head (even as her knuckles swelled to the size of golf balls), so I dunno. :shrug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I should probably clarify that I in no way disbelieve fibromyalgia is a real and serious disease, and on further reading see that it effects females twice as often as males and can be triggered in part by PTSD or psychological trauma. It's just that the people in my life who have it and fit the archetype described seem to wear it as a "special snowflake" badge of honor, but I guess there's nothing wrong with owning such a thing in particular. Maybe my post was in poor taste.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think your phrasing was poor, but the prevalence of that disease in particular is probably not coincidental.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My best friend's wife is super Mormon, her entire family is various levels of crazy, she her self has extreme separation anxiety issues, and she also suffers from fibromyalgia pains.

Not to point to a correlation but she is also the only person I know that has the disease.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Maybe the cause and effect is the other way around?

Maybe chronic pain makes people a little loopy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a massive over-representation of various physical and mental disorders of all types (self diagnosed or not) around gross anime people. Weird sub-cultures attract weird people who feel they don't fit in to normal society for one reason or another. Someone with an undiagnosed mental illness or chronic pain might have their symptoms result in them not fitting in, and *insert weird nerd subculture* provides an escape and often sense of community.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I think more than any particular kind of illness being more prevalent, its the phenomenon of bragging about your illnesses like a badge of honor that is the common factor. One of the most annoying guys I've ever played DnD with would just never loving shut up about his Crohn's disease. His girlfriend, who was also in the group, also plopped down extra details whenever he would bring it up, which was every time. Nobody wants to know about your poo poo, but they just couldn't get that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
With men of this variety I've found claims of autism/asperger's/sociopathy to be far more prevalent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Females

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also in terms of hobbies attracting certain types of mental illness: model trains = autism spectrum. Like big time. Go to some anime con and you'll meet a demisexual pony with borderline personality disorder (self-diagnosed) with the worst BO you've ever smelled, go to a train show and it's old guys with undiagnosed autism all the way down (and BO)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The connection between trains and autism is supposed to be something to do with trains being reliable, and also how the wheels spin. A consistent routine.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Dabir posted:

The connection between trains and autism is supposed to be something to do with trains being reliable, and also how the wheels spin. A consistent routine.

Where does really liking Ticket To Ride put me on the spectrum? Serious question. :ohdear:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a good game but I've never seen it played except by board game enthusiasts, so draw your own conclusions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's quite a good game, yeah.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hate Fibration posted:

Maybe. Friend of mine just ended up at my place for a few months because she got kicked out of her old room by her landlord who has some sort of massive migraine issue. I really do think the constant pain and normal stress has caused the landlord to slowly start losing her mind as some of the things this woman said as we were getting my friend out were not in line with reality. Before they got along great and always worked out everything but something suddenly snapped.

That all said I know something significant happened with the landlord at the same time everything started to fall apart, so it's probably a mix of a lot of things. I had insanely painful ulcers for a couple of years but it never effected my mood to the same degree that we're talking about in the thread so :shrug:. Some people may just be a little crazy until you throw fuel on the fire then you get well everything in this thread.

Bart Fargo posted:

Where does really liking Ticket To Ride put me on the spectrum? Serious question. :ohdear:
My family likes it a lot and they're as typical boring people as one could imagine so its not nothing to do with being a sperg, you're safe.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 24, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Bart Fargo posted:

It doesn't put you anywhere because Ticket to Ride is awesome and bridges all social boundaries. I bought the physical copy after playing a ton of the Steam version and made peace with the fact that I was now an Adult Board Game Player who would play it with other nerds but wound up playing it with all sorts of people who I would never have pegged as 'that type.' It's nice to be proven wrong about labels like that :shobon:

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Self-diagnosis is a beautiful thing. When I was younger and going through difficult times I self-diagnosed as all kinds of things, ranging from disassociative disorder through narcissism, sociopathy, and early-stage schizophrenia. Man was I disappointed when I saw an actual professional and got told it was 'just' anxiety and panic attacks. Not quite so glamorous.

There's a reason every major psychiatric manual has strong injunctions against self-diagnosis printed in bold type at the beginning.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the main thing with fibromyalgia is that the diagnostic criteria are kind of nebulous and non-specific. People that actually have it can be completely ruined by it so some people decide they want an excuse for why their lives suck and find something to diagnose themselves with. Fribo is a popular one because it's like "well I feel tired sometimes and I hurt sometimes so I must have fibro!" Then it becomes their excuse for everything and you're the jerk if you ever call them on it because they're disabled.

Except that self-diagnosis of that sort of thing is frequently bullshit and real fibromyalgia is actually pretty awful. Wouldn't wish that on people I hate.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hate Fibration posted:

Welp, that explains me in a nutshell.

Cheers!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hate Fibration posted:

These things are all complicated.

People can really suck when it comes to different illnesses. If there's trouble with getting a diagnosis, people can believe that you're faking it or that you need to just get over it. Meanwhile, you're in terrible pain, and it becomes isolating.

Even with a diagnosis, it still can be stressful. After all, people have limited patience, and they can accuse you of milking your illness. Or they don't understand that maybe you can't control it and things come up.

It's tough because what people can control and what they can't are invisible. There are people out there who won't take accountability for their behavior. But there are also people who try but can't understand.

I think the reasons why don't subcultures have this more than others is a good question.

I suspect it has to do with the popularity and the people you get in there. I struggle with social skills, and people have called me it, told me what I can do differently, and then I try to keep that in mind. But when it happens, there's a part of me that instinctively says gently caress off, there's nothing wrong with my behavior. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm more willing to accept that I can cross the line and they wouldn't tell me if they didn't like me, maybe it's a common experience and the difference is how you respond to those claims. Some people stop at gently caress off and never progress.

As for why it happens in some subcultures more than others, I don't think it has to do with anime. A lot of groups deal with people who just can't behave appropriately. But numbers help police things. After all, if I want to talk football, there's like 20 people I could call right now and talk about the game with. But what about anime? My pool is smaller.

We all love to share our interests with other people. But with football, if there was some aggressive rear end in a top hat with questionable bathing habits, I just don't engage with that person and find other people. It's either more likely that he'll just be excluded, or someone will be willing to call him out on his behavior.

But with anime, that same person might be my only bet. So I might be more willing to put up with him and I might not call him out because the supply of people is so low.

That's just my guess.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I think a lot of it is interrelated. Environment can massively impact someone health-wise; growing up in a traumatizing environment, for instance, really ups your chance of developing a wide array of chronic illnesses. Growing up in a traumatizing environment or in an environment that otherwise isn't supportive can impair the development of appropriate social skills. It's also a lot easier to interact on the internet if you have a disabling illness; going out and meeting people can be a huge energy drain for someone with a chronic illness. In all my years as an internet person ( :corsair: ), I believe I saw a correlation between the people that were rather, ah, extreme and childhood trauma. It wasn't always there, but I saw/heard about it enough to notice a pattern. It's just sad. I don't understand what prompts some people to break out of their destructive habits when they grow up while others don't.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fluorescent posted:

I don't understand what prompts some people to break out of their destructive habits when they grow up while others don't.

I'd guess some combo of luck, genes, and surrounding oneself with people who encourage normal (i.e., healthy) behavior rather than further isolating behavior. Very easy for someone who has experienced trauma in childhood to become a magnet for maniuplative, harmful persons. Think of how many horrendous people you've met in your life but avoided getting close to because you (general you, people reading this thread obviously might have a different experience) were of strong enough mental health to distance yourself from them before they could pull you down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I see that a lot in e/n threads. Some goon who knows their life is lovely and unhealthy or full of "drama" and wants to change things, but is totally unwilling from distancing them selves from their horrible lovely friends who drag them down and create almost all the drama in their lives. A lot of nerds honestly think their horrible greasy friends are the "best they can do" and suffer from a notion that any form of social exclusion is bullying and terrible and just can't be done. The whole nerd social fallacies thing.

If you don't want to be a loser, don't hang around with losers. Sometimes it can feel harsh to turn your back on a "friend" but when that person does nothing but dump their miserable problems on you, embarrass you in public, and add nothing but drama and bad smells to your life it's fine to cut them loose or at least minimize your time around them.

Sometimes that group of gross nerds grows up, and the "rising tide lifts all ships" and slowly but surely they grow up and develop something like a respectable life while maintaining their friendships. Sometimes someone gets left behind because they refused to grow up or change with their friends. Other times it's the majority of the group that is stuck and not developing and it keeps the couple members that have some aspirations to grow as people or fix their lives. Many times groups like that will actually sabotage their friends to make sure they don't outgrow their social circle, so they can all wallow together in their failure and grossness.

I've seen both sort of groups first hand. Friend of a friend's social circle, despite being pretty nerdy my self, they were just way too nerdy and gross for me to deal with. Everything out of their mouths made me cringe and their lives were mostly really pathetic gently caress ups. Slowly but surely most of them got jobs, found niches they could survive and even do well in. They're all still friends but they've mostly all become self-sufficient people with jobs and lives, even families. Most importantly they've improved their confidence, hygiene, and social skills. They had to dump a couple of their members that just weren't growing up despite attempts to help them, but it was natural as they had all become very different people.

Another group, they started off nearly identical but a bit grosser. They all got weirder and weirder. Nearly every single one turned out to be a genderfluid pansexual furrykin with some sort of obsessive collecting or hoarding. Constant drama, constant love triangles and failed "open relationships" within and outside of their group. They'd bounce from minimum wage job to minimum wage job, constantly getting fired for things that were totally never their fault. Constantly kicked our of their rentals due to "crazy landlords". If you heard one of their stories you'd feel bad for them, if you heard them all you'd realize the only common factor was them. But they were a big enough social circle that they could sit back, blame society/normies for all their misfortune, and drown their sorrows in anime, body mods, and revolting sex. The saddest part was that quite a few people in this little social circle could do a lot better and weren't that hopelessly hosed up, but couldn't escape the influence of the most hosed up ones who were the dominant members of the group and set the tone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This is an amazing thread and I've had a ton of fun reading it. I don't have any horrible stories that compare, all of my grody nerd friends were relatively sane compared to all this.

That said, the mention of someone's crazy super-Mormon father being a fan of John Ringo stood out a few pages back.

Reading John Ringo is a pretty huge loving red flag. His Paladin of Shadows series is laughable for any number of reasons (insane hyper-patriotism, horrible writing, the middle third of the third book being a graphic patriot-fiction BDSM sex romp, overt racism) but it also includes major subplots involving rape, pedophilia, and the two in combination. Not by the villains, but by the main character who is a really transparent Mary Stu,

It's pretty vile stuff in places.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
It doesn't help that there's some decent proof that fibro and depression get locked into a vicious circle where depression makes pain worse makes you more depressed....

And when you're depressed you isolate, which makes you more depressed...

Tl:Dr there's a super strong correlation between "nerd stuff" (most of which involves imagining something other than your depressing life) and depression, and depression tends to feed off of its own symptoms

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddamn, I refuse to believe there's no more content to be had for this thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Goddamn, I refuse to believe there's no more content to be had for this thread.

If you love content in this thread so much, why don't you pretend you were married to it in your previous life?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Or on the ~*=*~ astral plane ~*=*~ ?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I suppose if you're really desperate for content I could tell you about the night Kry convinced me to self harm? Not a super proud moment of mine, but it's there for the offering. I should warn you though, it's not a particularly funny tale

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I suppose if you're really desperate for content I could tell you about the night Kry convinced me to self harm? Not a super proud moment of mine, but it's there for the offering. I should warn you though, it's not a particularly funny tale
Yeah, that's... you don't have to and probably shouldn't do that.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

If it makes you feel any better, I have never self harmed before or since. Looking back it's interesting from a psychological standpoint. Even more so because I didn't actually want to do it but I felt I had no choice but to. But I respect your decision. If I think of something funnier though I'll post it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I suppose I'm reluctantly seconding that in this self-injury case telling the story might do you more, well, harm than good. (Not a thing I think anyone here wants, considering.)

It IS a shame there isn't more content for this thread though. It got me back into reading the forums in general when it was in its infancy.

burial fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As much as I was super excited to see new posts in this thread, I agree it sounds like it might just be pretty sore on you to write them out and the mental health of the success stories like yourself are way more important than a few giggles from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

I wouldn't worry. It's too late anyway, turns out I already posted it to this thread. You're hosed now there's no escaping it. Having a quick look I don't think I ever mentioned any of the supposed role play that was done between Kry and a few others. That was more sad than anything, but at least it doesn't involve self harm. Just a bunch of poor fuckers who weren't aware of what was going on trying to figure out what her deal was. Might write it up just for the sake of new content though, this thread will live!

• Locked thread