Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Eimi posted:

More pilots who happen to be female, there's like with Miranda, Scarlet, Howl, and I guess maybe Guri?

Whisper
Nera Dantels
Ibtisam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eimi posted:

More pilots who happen to be female, there's like with Miranda, Scarlet, Howl, and I guess maybe Guri?

Nera, Whisper. Not a whole lot tbh.

More weird aliens too please

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's Jessika Pava from TFA, I dunno if she's going to join Ello Asty in getting a named pilot card though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nera, Whisper. Not a whole lot tbh.

More weird aliens too please

Juno Eclipse.

Jan Ors.

Manaroo.

Sabine Wren.

Hera Syndulla is female and also a weird alien.

Same with Latts Razzi.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 24, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a nice storage case for my ships right now, but I'm running out of space in it and it can't fit any large ships at all.

Can someone recommend a reasonably cheap storage solution mostly for large ships?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Lookit this sexy beast. Hope this becomes a scum ship

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lookit this sexy beast. Hope this becomes a scum ship

Sort of reminds me if the BSG raiders.

E Wings vs Gauntlets. Roll the hard six

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Juno Eclipse.

Jan Ors.

Manaroo.

Sabine Wren.

Hera Syndulla is female and also a weird alien.

Same with Latts Razzi.

Cool

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If FFG wants to dip into the Legends bin again they should consider making an expansion with Katarns second ship The Raven's Claw.

Edit:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

If FFG wants to dip into the Legends bin again they should consider making an expansion with Katarns second ship The Raven's Claw.

:allears:

"Image no longer exists", unfortunately. :( Looked it up though, and it looks like the front end of a HWK and the rear end of..no idea, an IRL Blackbird, almost? (EDIT: Nope, after the updated image, seems more like Y-Wing engines on steroids)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 24, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Was posting from my phone and flailed on the timg. Fixed now with a picture from Mel Miniatures.

I can't cite many solid specifically great reasons for why I want to see an official Raven's Claw other than a more maneuverable potentially more shooty version of the HWK-290 would be cool imho.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Eimi posted:

I'd love more female pilots. Netrunner has a fantastically diverse cast of characters, so I'd love if they could inject some more of that into X-Wing. There's no reason they can't make up their own pilots; they made up a whole new ship with the Raider.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endman posted:

I'd love more female pilots. Netrunner has a fantastically diverse cast of characters, so I'd love if they could inject some more of that into X-Wing. There's no reason they can't make up their own pilots; they made up a whole new ship with the Raider.

Doesn't help that most of the pilot art is just whatever ship they're in flying around.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Eimi posted:

lmao are we about to have a tumblr conversation about X-Wing

literally all the default pilot cards are just the ships anyway, like i'm having a difficult time grasping why the sex of the pilot is significant in any way

reading this back to myself it comes off as hostile but i'm asking non-rhetorically: why does this matter in the slightest

Endman posted:

whaaaaaat

Okay. So I started playing Netrunner, and the diversity present in the cast of Runner IDs is frankly pretty awesome. I'm currently using an Indian boxer hacker lady, and she is my loving favorite. It's cool because you get to see the runner's face and artwork, and since you "are" that runner for a given hand of the game, it's cool to be able to see yourself reflected in some of the awesome cards - I mean, I guess that's the main thrust behind increasingly diverse representation in fictional media. I'm a white dude, so I have literally never had a problem being represented. I'm aware of that privilege, and I try not to take it for granted.

Making remarks about having more female pilots would be more akin to asking for female Corporations. Here is what a corp ID looks like:

I don't think it would make a ton of sense to say "boy, I sure wish there were more female corporation identities!" because that's nonsensical. If you didn't know going into Star Wars what sex a given EU character is, how would you even know what to complain/not complain about??? Also it's clearly something people on the internet feel the need to defend their medium about - some of the first few replies to "more girls in wangs!!!" was literally "here is a list of girls in wangs" - but it just feels so pointless

In summary, if you want more girls in X-Wing, commission CLC to paint a waifu on your Falcon

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Endman posted:

Just flood the Imperials/Scum with female pilots, everyone already knows the rebellion is a giant sausagefest.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

guts and bolts posted:

literally all the default pilot cards are just the ships anyway, like i'm having a difficult time grasping why the sex of the pilot is significant in any way

reading this back to myself it comes off as hostile but i'm asking non-rhetorically: why does this matter in the slightest

whaaaaaat

Okay. So I started playing Netrunner, and the diversity present in the cast of Runner IDs is frankly pretty awesome. I'm currently using an Indian boxer hacker lady, and she is my loving favorite. It's cool because you get to see the runner's face and artwork, and since you "are" that runner for a given hand of the game, it's cool to be able to see yourself reflected in some of the awesome cards - I mean, I guess that's the main thrust behind increasingly diverse representation in fictional media. I'm a white dude, so I have literally never had a problem being represented. I'm aware of that privilege, and I try not to take it for granted.

Making remarks about having more female pilots would be more akin to asking for female Corporations. Here is what a corp ID looks like:

I don't think it would make a ton of sense to say "boy, I sure wish there were more female corporation identities!" because that's nonsensical. If you didn't know going into Star Wars what sex a given EU character is, how would you even know what to complain/not complain about??? Also it's clearly something people on the internet feel the need to defend their medium about - some of the first few replies to "more girls in wangs!!!" was literally "here is a list of girls in wangs" - but it just feels so pointless

In summary, if you want more girls in X-Wing, commission CLC to paint a waifu on your Falcon

Wow, what a really fuckin' lovely post.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Lol even the corp CEOs and stuff are diverse and represented by various cards within Netrunner. And tons of the characters who are pilots in X-Wing get represented in art on crew upgrade cards. What a dumb argument.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

whaaaaaat

On the other hand there's no reason for the majority of the pilots to be male either.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

guts and bolts posted:

This is completely wrong and stupid. Corporations aren't people, whereas the pilots of spaceships are. There is an underrepresentation of women in Star Wars, and it's a problem. A problem that FFG, as a content creator, can help solve. And people do really notice. One of the main complaints my partner had about X-Wing is that there aren't a lot of great female pilots for her to play, whereas all the top-tier lists are populated by male characters. Diversity is one of her listed reasons why she plays Netrunner over X-Wing.

Equating X-Wing pilots with Netrunner corporations just because you can't see their face on a card is really super dumb.

As a side note - I can't be the only one that would feel as uncomfortable looking at a weird anime girl on a spaceship as I would if I saw the ridiculous confederate flag Falcon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Most of the TIE L/N and TIE F/O aces have gender neutral call-signs and could all be women. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

guts and bolts posted:

whaaaaaat

Holy poo poo dude he just said "more female pilots would be cool" jesus christ. Fuckin' :lol: at blaming tumblr for this and then making the only shitpost on the subject so far.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

Wow, what a really fuckin' lovely post.

sorry we don't agree on this point

On the other hand there's no reason for the majority of the pilots to be male either.

they're literally depicted as ships on 100% of the cards, until we get into alt arts, and some of those are robots???

i get that on SA it's just another hill to die on, but I legitimately do not understand why we need more <insert race/gender/species/whatever> here - it feels like just the dumbest "let's all see who can try to appear the most tolerant/progressive on the internet" shitposting

dropkickpikachu posted:

Lol even the corp CEOs and stuff are diverse and represented by various cards within Netrunner. And tons of the characters who are pilots in X-Wing get represented in art on crew upgrade cards. What a dumb argument.

that's like arguing about gender on upgrade cards, though, w/r/t corp CEOs (who are, again, diverse as hell) - like where do you draw the line on this, i'm not asking rhetorically. is it important that alt-art rebel VI is a girl pilot? is it triggering that the female pilots that do get in alt-arts are uniformly super attractive? why don't we have more black characters depicted on alt-arts? i mean FFG is incredibly good about depicting diverse universes, that is sorta my point, how this is a thing people are legitimately weird about i just don't understand

Endman
May 18, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Most of the TIE L/N and TIE F/O aces have gender neutral call-signs and could all be women. :shrug:

True, but it's a bit of a cop out. The only reason we know Howlrunner is female is because she was an NPC in Star Wars Galaxies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

sorry we don't agree on this point

they're literally depicted as ships on 100% of the cards, until we get into alt arts, and some of those are robots???

i get that on SA it's just another hill to die on, but I legitimately do not understand why we need more <insert race/gender/species/whatever> here - it feels like just the dumbest "let's all see who can try to appear the most tolerant/progressive on the internet" shitposting

But there's also no reason not to do it

Endman posted:

True, but it's a bit of a cop out. The only reason we know Howlrunner is female is because she was an NPC in Star Wars Galaxies.

LMAO

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

guts and bolts posted:

The person in this threat posting shittiest at the moment is you

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Except that we know that Luke, Wedge, Han, Vader, Wes, Tycho, Soontir, etc are all male, regardless of their pilot card only showing a ship.

The pilot card showing "just a ship" is irrelevant to the fact that the majority of pilots are male and why do you care so much that people want more female pilots?

Endman
May 18, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

Wanting more representation of women in this cool spaceship game makes me a shitposter? lmao

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This is basically the best point anyone can make on this topic.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Endman posted:

This is completely wrong and stupid. Corporations aren't people, whereas the pilots of spaceships are. There is an underrepresentation of women in Star Wars, and it's a problem. A problem that FFG, as a content creator, can help solve. And people do really notice. One of the main complaints my partner had about X-Wing is that there aren't a lot of great female pilots for her to play, whereas all the top-tier lists are populated by male characters. Diversity is one of her listed reasons why she plays Netrunner over X-Wing.

Equating X-Wing pilots with Netrunner corporations just because you can't see their face on a card is really super dumb.

This is actually insane, firstly because we only know that most of the pilots are male or female because of their depictions in other media; besides, where does this argument go? what gender does "Red Ace" identify as?

also, if you are turned off from a game because your given race or gender or whatever is underrepresented competitively that just seems completely ridiculous. so companies need to balance who is good or bad in a given meta-game state with their made-up depiction on the card?

this is literally the inverse of that terrible, terrible reddit post where someone called Netrunner "misandrist" because female runner IDs dominate (used to dominate? i forgot the date) the top tier of play, and male runners suck, so FFG is obviously biased against women

last post about this topic but yeah it just seems super crazy and the let's-see-who's-more-progressive-on-the-internet! race is boring, so let's all just agree that i'm a neanderthal or whatever and i just don't understand it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Internet shitposter: It'd be cool if FFG brought in some more female pilots.

Cool, rational person who makes good posts: Woah, haha, is it tumblr in here or what!?

Endman
May 18, 2010

No joke, there are actually heaps of Star Wars Galaxies references in X-Wing. Both the Kihraxz and the Scyk are from that game. I reckon one of the devs was a big SWG player.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The initial point was "More female pilots would be cool".

what the gently caress are you even talking about. Whatever it's trying to be, it comes off as "We don't need more women in my X-wing game gently caress off tumblrinas" and it's really aggressive and dumb when no one was talking about anything you're railing on. Chill the gently caress out, dude.

Endman
May 18, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

This is actually insane, firstly because we only know that most of the pilots are male or female because of their depictions in other media; besides, where does this argument go? what gender does "Red Ace" identify as?

also, if you are turned off from a game because your given race or gender or whatever is underrepresented competitively that just seems completely ridiculous. so companies need to balance who is good or bad in a given meta-game state with their made-up depiction on the card?

this is literally the inverse of that terrible, terrible reddit post where someone called Netrunner "misandrist" because female runner IDs dominate (used to dominate? i forgot the date) the top tier of play, and male runners suck, so FFG is obviously biased against women

last post about this topic but yeah it just seems super crazy and the let's-see-who's-more-progressive-on-the-internet! race is boring, so let's all just agree that i'm a neanderthal or whatever and i just don't understand it

There's no "I'm the most progressive poster" race even happening here, dude. I'm pointing out something about the game I wish was better and you're literally having a huge meltdown because you think hordes of tumblrites are about to ruin your precious plastic spaceship game.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

okay i lied this is my last post about this dumb derail i started

i actually agree with this - there is no reason not to make more of the pilots girls, and that's a cool thing - i literally don't care what sex the pilot cards are, since they are ships by default 100% of the time. i didn't know whisper was a female, it's cool that whisper is female! in my head, Omega Leader is a female, because i just think of TIE aces as being girls most of the time (women? my nomenclature on this topic is super bad and i don't mean to be belittling)

but if it's a thing that is turning you off from the game it strikes me as just as dumb as the guy who, again, quit netrunner because FFG is anti-men because girls rule boys drool at the top tier of play~

i had the exact same reaction, which is to say i was baffled, and i'm still baffled - like Endman's SO not playing X-Wing because female pilots aren't top-tier is just bizarre to me, i'm sorry

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

so let's all just agree that i'm a neanderthal or whatever and i just don't understand it

I believe the term is stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder.

Endman posted:

No joke, there are actually heaps of Star Wars Galaxies references in X-Wing. Both the Kihraxz and the Scyk are from that game. I reckon one of the devs was a big SWG player.

True, even the Royal Guard Interceptors are from Galaxies.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Ahaha god you're a loving idiot. You are most worked up over nothing poster I've seen.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

guts and bolts posted:

but if it's a thing that is turning you off from the game it strikes me as just as dumb as the guy who, again, quit netrunner because FFG is anti-men because girls rule boys drool at the top tier of play~

You made this up out of whole cloth and then started raging at it. Literally nobody said this.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Folks he is nude and mad online

edit: and red. Nude, mad, and red.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

guts and bolts posted:

okay i lied this is my last post about this dumb derail i started

i actually agree with this - there is no reason not to make more of the pilots girls, and that's a cool thing - i literally don't care what sex the pilot cards are, since they are ships by default 100% of the time. i didn't know whisper was a female, it's cool that whisper is female! in my head, Omega Leader is a female, because i just think of TIE aces as being girls most of the time (women? my nomenclature on this topic is super bad and i don't mean to be belittling)

i had the exact same reaction, which is to say i was baffled, and i'm still baffled - like Endman's SO not playing X-Wing because female pilots aren't top-tier is just bizarre to me, i'm sorry

It's okay to not feel the same way as other people do about a thing. Making up weird strawmen while throwing your hands in the air and shouting "BUT WHERE DOES IT END, HUH???" while trying to paint everyone who doesn't agree with you as being in some kind of SJW tumblr race to the bottom of the I'm Most Triggered barrel makes you look like yet another stupid rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

You literally made this up. Endman said nothing even remotely close to this.

• Locked thread