Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know, the Hitman game usually make it a point to show that your targets are far worse people than 47; murderers, human traffickers, terrorists. There are a couple of exceptions to that, like the theme park owner, but for the most part, the targets are shown to be unabashedly evil people. You also have Hitman 2, which I think fleshes 47's character out more deals with him trying to take a more righteous path.

Tom Francis did a write up about Blood Money that's worth a read.

Honestly, l think it comes down to the fact that Hitman is a very dark and unsettling series. I don't mean for that to sound like it's bad, I'm just saying that's the nature of the subject matter.

The HItman games (or at least Blood Money, the one I played and really liked) showed that you were killing bad people but didn't really make you feel like a hero for it. It's basically just your job, you're a flat sociopath with no identity going around killing people in brutal ways for cash. The people you're killing are terrible people, you're a terrible person too, and your employers are also probably terrible people. It has an understated presentation, which tends to be a weakness in many middling-budget western games but works to the game's advantage here. It doesn't have Metal Gear Solid's flashy anime style, Hitman has you going about your job methodically, making it almost seem mundane. It's just what you do, you kill people. That's your life, that's all you do. It paints a pretty harsh and ugly picture. It's also one of the only games I've played where digital women ran around in bikinis and it seemed kinda gross and off-putting, but I got the impression that it was supposed to be a bit unsettling because that's the kind of twisted world this person inhabits. That's pretty good stuff. I didn't like what I played of Hitman Absolution then, because they added in a lot more exposition, action setpieces, and tried to set it up like a standard action movie. I think in doing so they lost a lot of that narrative that was told through the gameplay and presentation.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Suicide Squad opinion: it seems that from the trailers it's trying too hard to be edgy.

But it's not like trailers necessarily represent the finished movie so :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

who's your favorite suicide squad character

mine is the asian lady in a japanese flag facemask who is a ninja and her name is Katana

To be fair(kind of), Katana is a pre-existing character, but it's still loving poo poo and I cried laughing when I saw someone use her to claim everyone should see the film because it's positive representation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

To be fair(kind of), Katana is a pre-existing character, but it's still loving poo poo and I cried laughing when I saw someone use her to claim everyone should see the film because it's positive representation.

it's not like the X-Men films are falling over themselves to put Armor in them, some characters are better left forgotten on the page

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

it's not like the X-Men films are falling over themselves to put Armor in them, some characters are better left forgotten on the page

WickedHate posted:

it's still loving poo poo and I cried laughing when I saw someone use her to claim everyone should see the film because it's positive representation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's pretty goofy and stupid but not the most horrible thing ever and if the movie doesn't take itself too seriously that kind of cheesy action character will fit right in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MrSlam posted:

I liked how in the early entries of the Assassin's Creed series the conversations you can overhear from the guards is meant to make you think they're terrible people who it's okay to kill. They'd laugh about beating people up and extorting money and stuff. By the time I got to Revelations I realized that not all of them were baby-eating murderers so I should probably just take them out using my fists instead, which makes the whole upgradeable weapons money-sink mostly pointless. They're just trying to make ends meet, holding a spear and patrolling the same three blocks over and over again. It's not their fault.
Honestly, that's one of my biggest pet peeves with video games nowadays. Enemies/guards/mooks are always given dialog that makes them obnoxiously evil. Half the fun of games like Max Payne, Thief, and NOLF was that the conversations you heard were usually pretty goofy or humorous.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Augus posted:

For what it's worth though I thought the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer was really drat good and it single-handedly kept me from losing interest in the movie. I could see myself liking the movie if it's like that trailer.

I had a similar response, though I'm hoping it's not just DC's attempt to make it look like their Guardians of the Galaxy despite being mostly dull. It would be nice if DC had a more FUN movie for once. Here's hoping SS delivers.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Brad Jones opens up about his depression :stare:

Once Upon a Time When I Tried Committing Suicide

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm glad he's talking about it. Ending any stigma over mental illness and depression especially is something we desperately need in America.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

MrSlam posted:

Brad Jones opens up about his depression :stare:

Once Upon a Time When I Tried Committing Suicide

I can't wait for him to go "Psyche! You got trolled! Hi five, bros!"
But seriously, feel better Brad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

hopeandjoy posted:

My Suicide Squad opinion: it seems that from the trailers it's trying too hard to be edgy.

But it's not like trailers necessarily represent the finished movie so :shrug:

I keep hearing people say this edgy thing and I honestly can't understand it. It looks like a fun dark superhero movie. I legitmately don't understand this "Trying too hard to be 2 EDGY FOR YOU!" thing that keeps getting thrown around. It seems way more comedic than edgy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Every one of Harley Quinn's lines in the trailer were cringingly awful. Maybe the movie will not be awful, but I'm not holding my breath.

MovieBob's review of Batman vs Superman makes me want to see it, but I'm going to hold out for Red Letter Media to get to it first. I still haven't seen Man of Steel because of them and no one's ever tried to convince me otherwise yet.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 23, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Beefstew posted:

I can't wait for him to go "Psyche! You got trolled! Hi five, bros!"
But seriously, feel better Brad.

That's why Brad is on the light side of the force and LordKat is on the dark side.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Every one of Harley Quinn's lines in the trailer were cringingly awful. Maybe the movie will not be awful, but I'm not holding my breath.

I thought they were fine. She looks like she'll steal the movie. Let's not act like Harley's every had amazing lines in any interpretation she's ever had.

Also Moviebob seems to be in the minority as a few other internet critics, including Chris Stuckmann (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDGX0b5lzo) say it's a loving mess of a movie.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Oh no MovieBob hates it too, just it's so over the top a review it makes it actually sound like a fun mess.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
RLM's Mike and Jay are kind of like the self-aware guys I want to agree with. MovieBob is like the self-unaware guy I actually end up agreeing with.

I'm not going to lie; I think it'd be funny as hell if DC's plans for a Cinematic Universe revenue stream crash before it takes off. So it'd be cathartic if RLM confirms Dawn of Justice is not worth watching.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

When I watch a film I also hallucinate wildly about the director's private life

Isn't that the guy who was all "Sucker Punch is too deep for you and is actually a satire"? Wonder what happened between then and now.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Guys, two points about this whole thing:

1) I loved One Day At A Time as much as anyone here, but I think half a dozen pages about discussing it is enough.

2) If you're going to discuss, at least spell it right. The character's name is spelled "Schneider" not "Snyder".

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
If one lovely movie was all it took to derail the plans of a company that's putting millions down to make something happen, the MCU would've stopped at Louis Leterrier's Hulk. Or Thor. And those are only the movies that most people will agree are lovely.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

ElNarez posted:

If one lovely movie was all it took to derail the plans of a company that's putting millions down to make something happen, the MCU would've stopped at Louis Leterrier's Hulk. Or Thor.
OR AVENGERS :unsmigghh:

kaleidolia posted:

Isn't that the guy who was all "Sucker Punch is too deep for you and is actually a satire"? Wonder what happened between then and now.
Five more years of making videos for the internet happened. He made that video when he was putting thought into stuff and reading films. He's discovered it's a lot easier and equally as lucrative (if not more) to wisecrack about scented candles and fratboys.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

Animated Atrocities is kinda really bad. I'm 99% certain the guy who makes it spends a shitload of time on TVTropes

I tried giving the guy a chance but a few things made me lose interest, namely the way he talks (angry and I swear it sounds like he's trying to talk by opening his mouth as little as possible, it almost sounds like he is clenching half his mouth E: Oh and loving pop check your mic dude, you don't have to talk directly into the mic. All your P's are puffing so hard) and how he would cut to a pony saying something then responding to it. The one I remember the most was cutting to a scene of a pony saying "Its a party!" and he says "No Pinky, its not that kind of party" and I cringed so drat hard.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also Moviebob seems to be in the minority as a few other internet critics, including Chris Stuckmann (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDGX0b5lzo) say it's a loving mess of a movie.

Okay, I have serious trouble processing that sentence. You are saying that most other critics liked it, right?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Echo Chamber posted:

RLM's Mike and Jay are kind of like the self-aware guys I want to agree with. MovieBob is like the self-unaware guy I actually end up agreeing with.

I'm not going to lie; I think it'd be funny as hell if DC's plans for a Cinematic Universe revenue stream crash before it takes off. So it'd be cathartic if RLM confirms Dawn of Justice is not worth watching.
I do think the idea of a Cinematic Universe isn't that bad, they seem to poo poo on the fact that Marvel/Disney likes to announce plans for these movies, but what's so wrong with foresight especially when the money machine is still working.

DC just seems to try to be different in all the wrong ways, I know a lot of reviewers are saying it, but their movies (sans Suicide Squad) just look not fun to experience. Then again I just think adapting stuff from DCAU would make for great movies, be serious but not too serious and have a couple of characters who bring levity, but when push comes to shove they are willing to get serious and do amazing things (ie Wally).

DC right now just seems like your pretentious jagoff cousin at a family party who likes to talk about how "No you see I want to make a movie where Batman is a bad lovely person who is also a classist/racist because in the real world he would be awful"

While Marvel is your Uncle who gives good gifts and tells funny jokes

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

Animated Atrocities is kinda really bad. I'm 99% certain the guy who makes it spends a shitload of time on TVTropes

Leal posted:

I tried giving the guy a chance but a few things made me lose interest, namely the way he talks (angry and I swear it sounds like he's trying to talk by opening his mouth as little as possible, it almost sounds like he is clenching half his mouth E: Oh and loving pop check your mic dude, you don't have to talk directly into the mic. All your P's are puffing so hard) and how he would cut to a pony saying something then responding to it. The one I remember the most was cutting to a scene of a pony saying "Its a party!" and he says "No Pinky, its not that kind of party" and I cringed so drat hard.

I bought this up before and I'm not trying to shame him or whatever about it but he's basically said he's legitly :spergin: and just by the way he analyzes things it shows through pretty loving clearly a lot of times. The most obvious was when he reviewed a Sponge Bob episode and he thought that it was literally going to make children want to commit suicide because Plankton tried to lay down in the street or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I do think the idea of a Cinematic Universe isn't that bad, they seem to poo poo on the fact that Marvel/Disney likes to announce plans for these movies, but what's so wrong with foresight especially when the money machine is still working.

DC just seems to try to be different in all the wrong ways, I know a lot of reviewers are saying it, but their movies (sans Suicide Squad) just look not fun to experience. Then again I just think adapting stuff from DCAU would make for great movies, be serious but not too serious and have a couple of characters who bring levity, but when push comes to shove they are willing to get serious and do amazing things (ie Wally).

DC right now just seems like your pretentious jagoff cousin at a family party who likes to talk about how "No you see I want to make a movie where Batman is a bad lovely person who is also a classist/racist because in the real world he would be awful"

While Marvel is your Uncle who gives good gifts and tells funny jokes

The DCTVU, meanwhile, is a group of friends who all really like each other and get together every now and then to try and one up each other with crazier and crazier "Yo, guess what I did this week?" stories.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

e X posted:

Okay, I have serious trouble processing that sentence. You are saying that most other critics liked it, right?

I misread his quote and thought Moviebob liked the movie, therefore he would be in the minority of people who liked the movie, rather than the majority who didn't like it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm pretty jaded by the whole Cinematic Universe thing and I barely give Marvel a pass because their movies are usually decent.

I'm just sick of super heroes at this point.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm pretty jaded by the whole Cinematic Universe thing and I barely give Marvel a pass because their movies are usually decent.

I'm just sick of super heroes at this point.

I feel that if a crash hits, it's going to hit hard, given how far ahead everything is planned out.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ElNarez posted:

If one lovely movie was all it took to derail the plans of a company that's putting millions down to make something happen, the MCU would've stopped at Louis Leterrier's Hulk. Or Thor. And those are only the movies that most people will agree are lovely.

Eh, no - mediocre as a whole, sure, but not lovely. They both have aspects that work very well but are brought down by the underwhelming story/writing. A legitimately lovely movie would be something like Green Lantern where pretty much every major decision was bad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel that if a crash hits, it's going to hit hard, given how far ahead everything is planned out.
I don't think the crash is happening anytime soon especially with Marvel since they've built such a strong brand and goodwill. I mean it took decades for the Western fade to die out and they were pumping those out at an insane rate back in the 50s/60s

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I guess personally I don't understand the whole idea of wanting the MCU or DCU to fail. I can understand not watching them, but actively hoping interest wanes and they fail and superhero movies disappear just seems so loving weird. How does them being popular affect anything? Plenty of other poo poo gets made you can watch and enjoy.

It's just such a weird concept to me.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm cynical enough to think this is the new normal. Maybe if Warner Bros. keeps slipping up they'll see diminishing returns, but they'll only keep retooling if Marvel keeps making money.

I feel particularly jaded because I was a superhero fan for much of high school and college, only falling out of love with comics after college. Hollywood only realized just how big a goldmine superheroes were at the same moment I wanted very little to do with it. Movies feel like a glorified TV show now. Also around the same time, I realized I simply didn't like Batman as a character, period. And then that character got handed over to a polarizing actor that I hate. But that's another story.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I guess personally I don't understand the whole idea of wanting the MCU or DCU to fail. I can understand not watching them, but actively hoping interest wanes and they fail and superhero movies disappear just seems so loving weird. How does them being popular affect anything? Plenty of other poo poo gets made you can watch and enjoy.

Alright I'll try. It's not completely rational, but you know how everyone has that Facebook friend who hates Kim Kardashian and thinks everyone needs to shut up about her?

I'm indifferent to her, but people might feel the same way, especially in geek circles, about the regular hype cycle of superhero movies. Also, Hollywood is always terrible so many wouldn't mind it being regularly humbled.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldTennisCourt posted:

"If this version tanks completely, they might start over from scratch and make something good".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't think the crash is happening anytime soon especially with Marvel since they've built such a strong brand and goodwill. I mean it took decades for the Western fade to die out and they were pumping those out at an insane rate back in the 50s/60s

You can hardly compare the media landscape today to that of the 50's or 60's, it's absurdly different. Media saturation is so much higher today that I don't think any Hollywood fad can hold up for much longer than a decade. And Iron Man came out 8 years ago...

I don't think it'll be a crash though, it'll just be slipping box office turnouts for superhero movies, maybe one or two legit flops |(If Suicide Squad doesn't at least underperform I will be shocked), and then some new bandwagon will come along for Hollywood to jump on. Whatever that will be, I have no idea, but five years ago I would have told you that a Justice League movie would never actually happen. The reasons I thought it would never pan out still apply, but that isn't going to stop WB apparently. :v:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because it opens up the field for something new. It's like how the WW2 shooter trend nearly stopped Modern Warfare from ever being made. You get executives shooting down great ideas because they want to chase trends and everything else can piss off.

If something fails you have people in those positions scrambling around trying to find a new alternative and you occasionally get something great out of it. There's also the fact that it's getting incredibly stale, like having the same food every single day. I like the occasional superhero movie, but every single blockbuster being one and it all being tied to one giant universe is really starting to wear out its welcome and you can feel the fatigue in every single discussion about superhero movies, whether it be online or in public. This whole thing is gonna collapse sooner or later, it's just a matter of which movie causes the implosion.

That being said I really love all the Captain America movies, Winter Soldier especially, they're easily the best of the lot.

Hbomberguy posted:

Five more years of making videos for the internet happened. He made that video when he was putting thought into stuff and reading films. He's discovered it's a lot easier and equally as lucrative (if not more) to wisecrack about scented candles and fratboys.

Or maybe Sucker Punch is not satire and is actually just a bad movie?

Just for the record he had similar thoughts on Other M back then, where if you didn't like it you just didn't "get it" and were probably a xenophobe. Is that what putting more work into his analysis and work looked like? Because if so, I'm gonna question whether you know what good analysis looks like.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

With not only the media landscape where movies have a noticeably shorter shelf life, and the huge expense for tentpole movies (westerns were relativly cheap to make at the time, not 200-400 Million like DCCU and MCU), One major bomb is enough to cause studios to start pulling back. I mean, we are on continuity #3 for Spiderman, and #3 for Fantastic Four. The studios need these movies to do well, and if they fail, the studios will eventually stop making them. A major bomb for MCU will cause the house of cards to fall.

Besides, this year alone, 6 movies that I know of that will be comic Book movies (Deadpool, BvS, X-men, Civil War, Dr Strange, Suicide Squad). I don't know about you, but I'm just burned out on these.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

X Men is the literal definition of movie fodder, it's staying power severely outlasts the poor ratings.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

achillesforever6 posted:

It helps that Marvel's usually pretty calculated about whatever risks they do take. Iron Man was a success, so they started making more films. Those films were successes, so they made The Avengers. Thor and The Avengers had cosmic elements, so they made Guardians of the Galaxy. The majority of Marvel Studios' filmography is water testing. When they tried doing something with a darker tone, it was on Netflix. Something you more or less had to actively look for.

It's always in the back of Marvel's head that--

PassTheRemote posted:

A major bomb for MCU will cause the house of cards to fall.

--so they've been trying to carefully diversify their brand. If the bottom drops out on superhero movies, they've got at least a few franchises they can still get money out of. Guardians of the Galaxy might survive more or less unharmed. And I can't realistically see how Daredevil and Jessica Jones would be affected at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah that was a bit of a stretch for me to say

I just like my Marvel movies because they are easy going experiences that don't make me want to gouge out my eyes and its not like Hollywood has just been making superhero movies, they release smaller movies all the time

Its like wrestling fans wanting Wrestlemania to flop and for the WWE to be destroyed which would surely not kill the industry and cause hundreds of workers to lose a good steady income with no viable option.

• Locked thread