Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pron on VHS posted:

this show really made me want to drink coffee, I was laughing when Frank pulls out his thermos on the rooftop, wanna show that guy an Aeropress
They were building up Frank asking the waitress for coffee so much that I was sure something was going to happen with her, but no, man just loves his coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

RareAcumen posted:

Have Donnie Yen in Season 3 for no apparent reason.

At last, the faithful Mandarin adaptation that everyone's been waiting for

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Frank's love of coffee is funny, but man, the revitalizing beverage is everywhere this season. Karen brings Foggy/Matt coffee in that awkward "are you guys dating" scene, Claire brings DD coffee on the roof and then throws it away when he refuses, Karen and the bearded reporter stay drinking coffee....there are like 6-8 scenes where coffee is the main prop. The Punisher packs a thermos wherever he goes

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Raserys posted:

At last, the faithful Mandarin adaptation that everyone's been waiting for
Then to even things out again, he ends up being Shang Chi's retconned dad.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I always imagine the coffee that comes in those little blue cups that every tv and film New Yorker drinks out of must be the nectar of the gods. What is with that poo poo?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pron on VHS posted:

Frank's love of coffee is funny, but man, the revitalizing beverage is everywhere this season. Karen brings Foggy/Matt coffee in that awkward "are you guys dating" scene, Claire brings DD coffee on the roof and then throws it away when he refuses, Karen and the bearded reporter stay drinking coffee....there are like 6-8 scenes where coffee is the main prop. The Punisher packs a thermos wherever he goes

They're busy people, man! No time for sleep when you could be shootin folks, or beatin em up, or writing a newspaper article, or watching two friends' business and friendship implode.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GlitchThief posted:

I always imagine the coffee that comes in those little blue cups that every tv and film New Yorker drinks out of must be the nectar of the gods. What is with that poo poo?

It's trash bodega coffee. They just reference it as a "True New Yorker(tm)" affectation. It's literally just cheap, probably-instant drip coffee you'd get at the same place you buy a pre-packaged donut.

Pron on VHS posted:

Coffee is to season 2 as drinking straight liquor is to season 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Hydronium posted:

I thought the assumption was that Madame Gao would tie into IF.

Give me Fin Fang Foom complete with underwear :colbert:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just finished DD season 2, and while it was really great for the most part, I don't think it was as good as the first season. Going by what I've seen here, I'm likely beating a dead horse with my thoughts.

The Punisher stuff was great when that was the focus and it makes me hope for him to come back in his own show and/or cameo appearances in other MCU stuff. But, when the focus went mostly toward The Hand, it felt more like a generic "good guys versus group of evil dudes want to gently caress poo poo up" with little/no explanation aside from that the evil guys are really evil, powerful, and want to gently caress poo poo up.

I also wished that they showed why (spoilering just in case) the Black Sky/Elektra was so dangerous compared to everyone else. They hyped that stuff up for as long as they did (including the season one episode where they introduced that plotline), but never really showed nor even really explained anything aside from that it's super dangerous and bad. I'm sure they will expand on it as well as The Hand in general in season three since the last few minutes of the finale felt like they were setting stuff up, but they could've given us even a little glimpse about how huge this thing really is, which would've felt a lot more satisfying than what we got out of it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlitchThief posted:

Coffee from food carts or from bodegas.

site posted:

I would argue this isn't entirely true because the best arcs in MAX make it personal to Frank or at least show him caring about why he's doing it beyond the superficial "they're bad guys".

The problem is with the way Ennis writes him previously, I just find it hard to buy that. I always imagine that's just him lying to himself, I don't actually believe he's feeling anything more. Its simply not convincing. That's why I enjoy the DD take on him better, I do believe that he is.

And I like the fact that Frank was ready to leave the war behind him, I enjoy that take better I think. Not that he was always looking for an eternal war. That it was forced upon him and it is the only way he can feel whole again.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

The problem is with the way Ennis writes him previously, I just find it hard to buy that. I always imagine that's just him lying to himself, I don't actually believe he's feeling anything more. Its simply not convincing. That's why I enjoy the DD take on him better, I do believe that he is.

And I like the fact that Frank was ready to leave the war behind him, I enjoy that take better I think. Not that he was always looking for an eternal war. That it was forced upon him and it is the only way he can feel whole again.

This is why I like the Ennis MAX run as opposed to the Aaron one. In the Ennis one, he was written kinda like he always has been, but in the Aaron one, he takes them to the park knowing there'd be trouble and that they'd probably get caught up in it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Subvisual Haze posted:

The ninjas were such a drain on an otherwise great character driven show. When Frank or KingPin or even Matt's sanctimonious rear end are monologueing I am 100% dialed into the show. When we're watching a tense and brutal fight scene like Frank versus the prison cellblock I can't look away. But when Matt is doing punches against an endless wave of ninja trash mobs I find it really hard to feel at all invested in the scene.

There were times where I actually skipped forward during those scenes and some of the more boring Elektra story romance just to get back to the Punisher storyline. I'd be interested to know what kind of data Netflix is getting from people's watching habits for this season.

Either way, having Bullseye as the main villain for season 3 seems like a no brainer and should be great if he's as well cast as the Punisher. Anyone have any thoughts on who would be a good actor for that role?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 24, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pron on VHS posted:

this show really made me want to drink coffee, I was laughing when Frank pulls out his thermos on the rooftop, wanna show that guy an Aeropress

It's not a bullet to the skull or the loss of his family, he just needs to switch to decaf

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

-Blackadder- posted:

Either way, having Bullseye as the main villain for season 3 seems like a no brainer and should be great if he's as well cast as the Punisher. Anyone have any thoughts on who would be a good actor for that role?

Thomas Jane

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

-Blackadder- posted:

Paul Giamatti.

I ain't even joking, I know he's not the traditional tall muscle-man dude, but I think he'd be great as a smug weirdo who can turn anything into a deadly weapon. Basically just tweak his character from Shoot 'Em Up and let him loose.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dapper Dan posted:

Ennis makes it pretty clear that it's just denial through the arcs in Mother Russia, Up is Down, The Slavers, Man of Stone, and Long Cold Dark and that whether he wants to admit it or not he still does have feelings. He just locks them away as best he can and tries to disconnect.

10 Beers posted:

This is why I like the Ennis MAX run as opposed to the Aaron one. In the Ennis one, he was written kinda like he always has been, but in the Aaron one, he takes them to the park knowing there'd be trouble and that they'd probably get caught up in it.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I like the Aaron MAX story by itself. But, 1) I think it shits all over what Ennis was trying to accomplish with the character, and 2) bullseye was just way too cartoonish to fit with the established universe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
First, they have announced Netflix will be doing a standalone punisher series. Secondly, at best, I can see them doing Welcome Back Frank....again really cause the Thomas Jane Punisher Movie was that, and also the rooftop scene was from it, only written better and less Ennnis "Superheroes are bad and dumb and punisher is bestest because he shoots people and Daredevil really wants to shoot people waaaaaah" poo poo.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Cast Colin Farrell as Bullseye and have him keep hinting that he remembers the Affleck movie. Boom, lead into MCU Secret War. All the old movies and properties were destroyed by Rabum Alal.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
It bugs me when they call Elektra (s02e12) Black Sky.

That's not her name!

It's Black Daisy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love the idea that ninjas from japan who only speak Japanese had a prophecy about something named in english.

Finale spoiler: "Japanese japanese japanese japanese Black Sky desu ka" - several ninjas

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

10 Beers posted:

Tbh, I didn't much care for his run on The Punisher. It more felt like a 'What-If' version than an extension of the character Ennis did. I consider the character Ennis created to have ended with "Valley Forge, Valley Forge".

site posted:

Ennis makes it pretty clear that it's just denial through the arcs in Mother Russia, Up is Down, The Slavers, Man of Stone, and Long Cold Dark and that whether he wants to admit it or not he still does have feelings. He just locks them away as best he can and tries to disconnect.

But, 1) I think it shits all over what Ennis was trying to accomplish with the character, and 2) bullseye was just way too cartoonish to fit with the established universe.

I think it just comes down to the fact whether I think Ennis was successful at portraying this or not. And I honestly think he failed more often than he was successful. It just didn't come off as convincing to me with the way he wrote it. Not that it means he was bad, obviously Ennis wrote him spectacularly, but I just don't think it worked in that respect. Its still my second favorite portrayl and it just goes to show you in the hands of a good writer a one-dimensional character can be more than that.

And both reasons why I dislike the Aaron run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

First, they have announced Netflix will be doing a standalone punisher series. Secondly, at best, I can see them doing Welcome Back Frank....again really cause the Thomas Jane Punisher Movie was that, and also the rooftop scene was from it, only written better and less Ennnis "Superheroes are bad and dumb and punisher is bestest because he shoots people and Daredevil really wants to shoot people waaaaaah" poo poo.

Whoa, I hadn't heard it was official.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

site posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I like the Aaron MAX story by itself. But, 1) I think it shits all over what Ennis was trying to accomplish with the character, and 2) bullseye was just way too cartoonish to fit with the established universe.

And Ennis's run didn't always have the best art, but goddamn, that Dillon art...

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think it is, but with the overwhelmingly positive response to 'The Punisher' and how everyone from critics to fans wants to see more of him, I think it would be monumentally stupid of them to not do it. I figure they quashed those rumors in February because they wanted to see how the portrayal went (which is smart, obviously). But they really should say either yes or no.

I think he would be too cramped in a third season of DD and with the set-up they are giving him, it looks like there will be more of him somewhere down the line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't think it is, but with the overwhelmingly positive response to 'The Punisher' and how everyone from critics to fans wants to see more of him, I think it would be monumentally stupid of them to not do it. I figure they quashed those rumors in February because they wanted to see how the portrayal went (which is smart, obviously). But they really should say either yes or no.

I think he would be too cramped in a third season of DD and with the set-up they are giving him, it looks like there will be more of him somewhere down the line.

Oh yeah it's a mortal lock but I'm interested for the announcement because I want to see if they roll out these spinoffs one at a time or limit them to phases where they announce four at once.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ennis' Punisher (and this is something that I noticed even more watching Jon Berenthal's portrayal) was essentially the Terminator. He was stoic, hardly spoke, and didn't emote much at all. So I agree that part of the strength of Ennis' Punisher was in the secondary characters specifically in how they reacted to the Punisher. The first MAX arc, In the Beginning, where he's being tracked by the CIA is a prime example of this. Ennis does a great job of using this to build up the Punisher into a near mythic boogeyman and it just works fantastically. I love that arc. We actually got some of that in the first few episodes of Daredevil, where everyone is just completely freaked out by what he's doing, and it works there too. Those first few episodes are probably my favorite part of the season. The scene at the end of the first episode where the cartel guy tells Daredevil it's not they, but just one man, and then the camera transitions to Jon Berenthal's boots walking in hospital and then to the back of his head is just perfection.

Anyway, I can see the positives in both the stoic Ennis Punisher and Berenthal's more emotional portrayal. I actually think they could both work as stand alone shows. I think any Punisher show is going to rely a little more on a good supporting cast because at the end of the day he doesn't have flashy super powers.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 24, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dapper Dan posted:

I think it just comes down to the fact whether I think Ennis was successful at portraying this or not. And I honestly think he failed more often than he was successful. It just didn't come off as convincing to me with the way he wrote it. Not that it means he was bad, obviously Ennis wrote him spectacularly, but I just don't think it worked in that respect. Its still my second favorite portrayl and it just goes to show you in the hands of a good writer a one-dimensional character can be more than that.

Fair enough. How much you buy it is gonna be subjective so there's not much I can do to convince you on that point lol

10 Beers posted:

And Ennis's run didn't always have the best art, but goddamn, that Dillon art...

Ooooh the dreaded thumbhead man...

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

pretty weird how they kept hyping up one shot one kill when our introduction to the guy was him remodeling a bar with bullets

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really hope when Karen submitted that god awful Freshman Lit paper to her editor he fired her on the spot.

Season 2 wasn't bad. A bit rough around the edges I suppose. But good lord I think Karen is one of the worst characters on television. Her acting, her plot-lines, her constantly shifting jobs. Honestly she wouldn't be that bad if she had about as much screen time as Foggy but oh my god she's in every other scene just chewing the scenery like there's no tomorrow.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

site posted:

Fair enough. How much you buy it is gonna be subjective so there's not much I can do to convince you on that point lol

Ooooh the dreaded thumbhead man...

Indeed, I just think its really subjective. I don't think you're wrong, it just didn't work for me like it did for you most times. And like I said, sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't for me. It just wasn't consistent.

-Blackadder- posted:

Ennis' Punisher (and this is something that I noticed even more watching Jon Berenthal's portrayal) was essentially the Terminator. He was stoic, hardly spoke, and didn't emote much at all. So I agree that part of the strength of Ennis' Punisher was in the secondary characters specifically in how they reacted to the Punisher. The first MAX arc, In the Beginning, where he's being tracked by the CIA is a prime example of this. Ennis does a great job of using this to build up the Punisher into a near mythic boogeyman and it just works fantastically. I love that arc. We actually got some of that in the first few episodes of Daredevil, where everyone is just completely freaked out by what he's doing, and it works there too. Those first few episodes are probably my favorite part of the season. The scene at the end of the first episode where the cartel guy tells Daredevil it's not they, but just one man, and then the camera transitions to Jon Berenthal's boots walking in hospital and then to the back of his head is just perfection.

Anyway, I can see the positives in both the stoic Ennis Punisher and Berenthal's more emotional portrayal. I actually think they could both work as stand alone shows. I think any Punisher show is going to rely a little more on a good supporting cast because at the end of the day he doesn't have flashy super powers.

Yeah, they are both good portrayals. One isn't better than the other, they are just different. I just happen to enjoy the more emotional Punisher more, because to humanize him means you just can't simply dismiss him (which you see a lot in this season of DD, it becomes more and more difficult to do. It'd be easier if he was just 'The Terminator'). Its one of the reasons I think I like this version more, there's just a lot you can do with him as the Berenthal portrayal without making the show about the Punisher's secondary cast which you might have had to do with an Ennis version.

zoux posted:

Oh yeah it's a mortal lock but I'm interested for the announcement because I want to see if they roll out these spinoffs one at a time or limit them to phases where they announce four at once.

I just want them to say sooner or later. The Punisher in media has always been disappointing so it'd be nice that his best portrayal is going to go further than just DD.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

I really hope when Karen submitted that god awful Freshman Lit paper to her editor he fired her on the spot.

Season 2 wasn't bad. A bit rough around the edges I suppose. But good lord I think Karen is one of the worst characters on television. Her acting, her plot-lines, her constantly shifting jobs. Honestly she wouldn't be that bad if she had about as much screen time as Foggy but oh my god she's in every other scene just chewing the scenery like there's no tomorrow.

She's not as bad as Iris on the Flash at least.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I guess the Black Sky must be some kind of reference to The Beast that the show created to make Elektra a handmaiden or head the human pyramid. What I'm saying is that Shadowland is definitely in the works and holy poo poo I hope they spin gold out of that insanity.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I thought Karen was great this season outside of the article and resulting voiceover ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PantsBandit posted:

Karen is now playing the role of Ben Urich in the MCU, so I expect her to likely show up in Jessica Jones if they use the whole Jessica Jones as a newspaper contractor thing from the Pulse as the basis of Season 2. Also she's now Matt's buddy in the press who knows he's Daredevil.

I just really hope she figures out what a poker face is. Every time she figures something out in front of the bad guys or tries to bluff on something she has just the worst little kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar look. Like of course Col. Clancy Brown pulled a gun on her after she stared at the photo of his soldiers and then suddenly tried to excuse herself with a look of terror that all but screamed I know your the Blacksmith. She makes the same face when Matt talks about not killing. Which also doesn't make sense because despite being blind, Matt should really hear her panicked heartbeat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mover posted:

I thought Karen was great this season outside of the article and resulting voiceover ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's just kind of annoying that her character arc was to replace the guy they killed off last season.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Things that happened to Karen this season: She became a reporter because...well don't think about it too hard!
She got kidnapped or shot at like a billion times.

I think in the back half of the season something like 60% * of her scenes ended with her seeing someone get hosed UP HARD or her life being threatened.

Some of her scenes were ok but it just feels like she is in scenes for the most ridiculous reasons.

*This stat pulled from somewhere resembling my rear end

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah they really shoe-horned Karen into every situation.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mover posted:

Me too

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PantsBandit posted:

Things that happened to Karen this season: She became a reporter because...well don't think about it too hard!
karen becoming a reporter felt pretty natural to me, she spent two seasons solving scooby doo mysteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

karen becoming a reporter felt pretty natural to me, she spent two seasons solving scooby doo mysteries

I mean...I guess? It's just odd to me that she walks into a newspaper office and the editor is just like "hey I like the cut of your gib here's a job and an office! Welp, I hope you know how to write!"

I know, I know, suspension of disbelief. I just feel like it could've been smoother.