Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I talked to my friend the IP lawyer and she says the developer is completely in the wrong, legally, and that the most unreasonable person here is clearly the developer. I still feel that Kik tried to use a "we're all buddies here, please do this" tone when they weren't buddies and it wasn't a request.
Even if their package is doing something sufficiently similar to the purpose of the Kik trademark, wouldn't that it's noncommercial prevent infringement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

twodot posted:

Even if their package is doing something sufficiently similar to the purpose of the Kik trademark, wouldn't that it's noncommercial prevent infringement?

No.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

twodot posted:

It not being commercial itself is not enough to excuse infringement, it just changes the damage calculation. If I am giving away free burgers as "McDonald's", I'm still impacting McDonald's ability to use their trademark to attract business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

foobardog posted:

It not being commercial itself is not enough to excuse infringement, it just changes the damage calculation. If I am giving away free burgers as "McDonald's", I'm still impacting McDonald's ability to use their trademark to attract business.

And indeed you can cause as much or more damage to McDonald's in that scenario as if you were selling the burgers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

They asked how he'd like to proceed, and even offered compensation, when the developer was breaking the law. They were much nicer than the law requires, and much more polite than the developer in the conversation. The outcome was pre-ordained: he was going to remove or rename the "kik" projects. IMO the Kik representative was more than considerate in exploring how to get to that point.
I disagree. They set the tone, in their first letter, as "Azer: We’re reaching out to you as we’d very much like to use our name “kik” for an important package that we are going to release soon. ... Can we get you to rename your kik package?" That's a request, and it's in a casual, buddy-buddy tone making no reference to the trademark issue. That's the faux we're-all-chums-here attitude that is so ubiquitous in Silicon Valley and that, as here, vanishes fast when there's an actual conflict of interest.

The developer was no doubt going to be an rear end in a top hat regardless, but the opening letter should have been more honest about what was going on. They were asking the developer to rename a well-known and well-established pair of packages, causing (as demonstrated) a lot of inconvenience to a lot of production systems, without either offering the carrot of compensation or threatening the stick of trademark. The second letter (minus "I don't want to be a dick") would have made a much more straightforward opening.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They were asking the developer to rename a well-known and well-established pair of packages, causing (as demonstrated) a lot of inconvenience to a lot of production systems, without either offering the carrot of compensation or threatening the stick of trademark.

The package that broke the production systems was an unrelated package that azer took down as part of his spiteful fit after they removed his "kik" package.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The developer was no doubt going to be an rear end in a top hat regardless, but the opening letter should have been more honest about what was going on. They were asking the developer to rename a well-known and well-established pair of packages, causing (as demonstrated) a lot of inconvenience to a lot of production systems, without either offering the carrot of compensation or threatening the stick of trademark.

Someone is idling blocking your driveway. You walk up to the window and tap on it. The driver rolls down the window. The first thing you say is

1) "Hey, could I ask you to move your car so I can get out?"
2) "Move your car or I'll have you ticketed and towed."
3) "If I give you $20, will you move your car?"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Subjunctive posted:

Someone is idling blocking your driveway. You walk up to the window and tap on it. The driver rolls down the window. The first thing you say is

1) "Hey, could I ask you to move your car so I can get out?"
2) "Move your car or I'll have you ticketed and towed."
3) "If I give you $20, will you move your car?"

Neither of these things is a business rep telling someone to comply with the law. I expect a business rep to write in a matter-of-fact tone at the very least when he wants me to do something. I wouldn't take a business rep starting his letter/email with "hey buddy could you please do X, thxbye your friends at company Y" seriously at all unless I had personally met the guy before.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

blowfish posted:

Neither of these things is a business rep telling someone to comply with the law. I expect a business rep to write in a matter-of-fact tone at the very least when he wants me to do something. I wouldn't take a business rep starting his letter/email with "hey buddy could you please do X, thxbye your friends at company Y" seriously at all unless I had personally met the guy before.

Ok grandpa

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

That is *exactly* the point. These are not two random dudes talking. It's "Hi, you are infringing my trademark", which is not a dudely conversation. As Blowfish says, when you're making a corporate request that is going to inconvenience somebody, act like a corporation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The trademark, like the towing, is only relevant if "hey, this is inconveniencing me, can you change it?" doesn't resolve the issues. When I asked my landlord (a corporation) if I could install a charger for my car, I didn't open with the fact that the law requires them to let me. That's an escalation that I didn't want to use unless it was necessary.

I have in the past been involved in delivering "name collision" missives, and they always started with "hey, I'm from X and we'd rather you not use our name Y for your thing -- do you think you could change that?" Easily half the time that was sufficient, without making things adversarial by invoking trademark law. When it didn't resolve things, I would copy counsel and include a canned paragraph about our trademarks, but it was always phase two. Relationships with groups where things were resolved in phase one were generally much better than if I had to explain what the legal context was.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
They weren't worried about diluting their brand, they wanted to publish some of their code without changing the name to "libkik" or whatever. The trademark thing is just because they're jerks imo.

No consumers are going to actually be confused and use npm to install kik the js library instead of calling people on the also-ran mobile messaging app. Like come the gently caress on.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I just want to chime in that 'break the internet' is the new 'going viral' and it's obnoxious.

I was looking at shared studio spaces with some of my photography colleagues, and as we were looking at spaces, the leasing agent mentioned that one of the larger ones is being taken up by a 'guy who does tech reviews on youtube.'

Between 4 of us, we can afford a space that's about 2700 square feet or so. This youtube guy can somehow afford a space that's 4000 square feet. I hope we get the space we looked at, because I want to see if this dude crashes and burns.

Is it safe to say that 'going viral' is circling the drain? Like the local news always starts their fluff stories with 'In a viral video released earlier this week...' and it's some video with 500k views that I've never heard of. What's like the cutoff point for making money on youtube? Because this article warms my black heart.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

red19fire posted:

Is it safe to say that 'going viral' is circling the drain? Like the local news always starts their fluff stories with 'In a viral video released earlier this week...' and it's some video with 500k views that I've never heard of. What's like the cutoff point for making money on youtube? Because this article warms my black heart.

Today I saw "viral" used to describe something that had, I quote, "hundreds of shares". That word is about as mangled and dead as "troll" is.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

red19fire posted:

I'm not really sure why that article makes you happy, to be honest. The fact that everyone except the very top content creators are effectively working extremely poorly paid full time jobs to add an incredible amount of value to platforms like youtube is... not great. Actually it's really, really bad. It also doesn't have much to do with "viral" videos since big content creators actually rely on having a longer term, more reliable fanbase.

A lot of the "democratization" that the internet supposedly brings to content is wildly skewed to favor platform and service creators over actual content creators.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 24, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah this reminds me of stuff on youtube like thejuicemedia that recently had to shut down even after several earnest years of clear effort

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

red19fire posted:

I don't know what the situation is like now, but I have friends who are friends with a niche youtube 'star' with about a million and a half followers and he was grossing $200k a month last year. He's not even in the top 50 in his niche, either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I talked to my friend the IP lawyer and she says the developer is completely in the wrong, legally, and that the most unreasonable person here is clearly the developer. I still feel that Kik tried to use a "we're all buddies here, please do this" tone when they weren't buddies and it wasn't a request.

Unless they can demonstrate that they had a viable trademark interest in the Node.js stack before he wrote the Kik library in that context, how is what he did illegal?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

I don't know what the situation is like now, but I have friends who are friends with a niche youtube 'star' with about a million and a half followers and he was grossing $200k a month last year. He's not even in the top 50 in his niche, either.

It's very unlikely he's grossing 2.4mm a year directly on YT with his sub base.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I thought he pulled some vital package that was actually important, but the big deal was over a leftpad function? That looks like some coding exercise for an intro programming class.

Are the people who code utility functions in big open source projects really that important?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

one other small aspect is chauvinism, there's a lot of folks who think that places like omaha or raleigh-durham might as well be a dung-smoked yurt at the end of the earth and frankly i'm fine with those people confining themselves to the most expensive cities

Remember how folks here were trying to convince us that being critical of LBGT policies in places like North Carolina was nothing more than regional chauvinism?

quote:

Instead, legislators returned to the state house to overrule a local ordinance in Charlotte banning discrimination against LGBT people. A bill written for that purpose passed Wednesday evening and was signed by Governor Pat McCrory, a Republican. In the House, every Republican and 11 Democrats backed the bill. In the Senate, Democrats walked out when a vote was called, resulting in a 32-0 passage by Republicans. The law not only overturns Charlotte’s ban: It also prevents any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances, mandates that students in the state’s schools use bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificate, and prevents cities from enacting minimum wages higher than the state’s.

Huh, so I guess these local differences do matter. I love how they threw in the anti-minimum wage bit in there as a nice "we haven't forgotten to gently caress the poor either" measure.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Weren't you the guy arguing that backass places like NC were more friendly to GLBT minorities than bigger cities? Guess you were wrong

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Weren't you the guy arguing that backass places like NC were more friendly to GLBT minorities than bigger cities? Guess you were wrong

If only there was some sort of text log of previous posts you could read to stop you from posting something so wrong. Imagine if it was as easy as clicking a question mark to find every post in a thread by a specific user.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The only people making the extreme claims of "mad max hellholes" are folks like you, not me. I said it makes a difference, not that they were complete shitholes.

Case in point, i think we can label NC a complete shithole

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought he pulled some vital package that was actually important, but the big deal was over a leftpad function? That looks like some coding exercise for an intro programming class.

Are the people who code utility functions in big open source projects really that important?
This is what happens when a language has a poo poo standard library, you get projects with tons and tons of dependencies for basic utility functions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

This is what happens when a language has a poo poo standard library, you get projects with tons and tons of dependencies for basic utility functions.

I used to work for a company (Rogue Wave) that made money out of this simple fact.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Uber's disrupting the bug bounty system (by not paying for bugs).

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4bq67q/ubers_bug_bounty_program_is_a_complete_sham/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are his bugs not "there is a login page available"? It looks that way from his tweets, I don't think that really constitutes a security bug.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And it begins...

quote:

Rebellious Yahoo investors seeking to oust CEO Marissa Mayer and hasten a sale of the troubled search pioneer moved on Thursday to replace the company’s entire board, setting up a showdown at the annual shareholders meeting this summer.

Starboard Value, a New York hedge fund, nominated nine members to Yahoo’s board on Thursday, picking executives with experience in media and technology. Those candidates will go up against Yahoo’s existing board members, as part of an annual election process where shareholders will determine the winners.

Starboard has long threatened to take control of Yahoo’s board and has advocated for Mayer to step down. The hedge fund has pushed Yahoo to sell its core Internet businesses and criticized the company for not moving fast enough.

Verizon has expressed interest in buying Yahoo. But Starboard’s CEO Jeffrey Smith pointed out in a letter to Yahoo shareholders on Thursday that as of March 8, Verizon’s chief financial officer said his company had not yet had discussions with the tech giant.

“These issues should be troubling to shareholders, and also cast doubts for prospective buyers of the Core Business as to whether the process is genuine and whether they should commit the time and resources to evaluating a bid and making a proposal,” Smith wrote in the letter.

“This is why we believe it is critical to elect a new Board that would provide much-needed credibility to a process that has been publicly criticized repeatedly for being too slow, fraught with conflicts of interest, and very difficult for highly qualified and motivated strategic and financial buyers to access much needed diligence information,” he wrote.
:getin:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hiring Mayer as a diversity CEO must have been one of the worst decisions the Yahoo board's made.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Hiring Mayer as a diversity CEO must have been one of the worst decisions the Yahoo board's made.

Bullshit they hired her as a diversity CEO. They hired her as a big-name executive from Google.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's pretty clear she wasn't ready for the position. Reminds me of Fiorina in many ways.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I never heard of Mayer but seems pretty silly that everyone's lumping all the blame on her. It's freaking Yahoo...I'm surprised they're still in business and I'm surprised someone would leave Google for a shitshow.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty clear she wasn't ready for the position. Reminds me of Fiorina in many ways.
She was the VP for search at Google. How the gently caress does that not qualify you to run Yahoo? People like you who assume every woman is a brainless diversity hire are the problem with this industry.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

When the board released its slate of candidates for CEO, it ended up being Sandberg, her, and two other women candidates who slip my mind. They were probably trying to pick an exotic choice to sex up the company which was already in bad shape.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

She was the VP for search at Google. How the gently caress does that not qualify you to run Yahoo? People like you who assume every woman is a brainless diversity hire are the problem with this industry.

Not to mention she's pretty. Oh god *sweats intensely*.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
She wasn't a diversity hire but I think the glass cliff is definitely in play where the board wanted a woman to blame the endemic failures of the company on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

an exotic choice to sex up the company which was already in bad shape.
"Exotic"? Seriously? An exotic choice would be Nobody McNowheresville whose previous experience was raising penguins. An ex-VP from Google Search is pretty drat conservative.

She hasn't been a success, no doubt about that, but she wasn't hired for her pretty blonde hair.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She's also made a string of terrible and extremely expensive acquisitions. Like I've been going to Yahoo sales meetings for years and every year it's been here is x thing we bought and clearly have no idea how to monetize nor can explain why you'd want to pay for it and you should give us money and then mysteriously next year it's gone replaced by the new useless x thing.

And her media strategy was to make yahoo more archaic than it was which is like gee I wonder why that failed miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

shrike82 posted:

When the board released its slate of candidates for CEO, it ended up being Sandberg, her, and two other women candidates who slip my mind. They were probably trying to pick an exotic choice to sex up the company which was already in bad shape.
That just says to me they rigged the deck to get her, no way will Sandberg be leaving Facebook for anything but political office.