Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dek posted:

Well, this is my first effortpost. I been thinking about this subject in particular for weeks, and I guess is now or never (I give you apologies in advance for my short terrible and horrible writing, I’m not used to write long poo poo in a different language)
Let’s introduce you to a little piece of Argentinian history that in the next few days it’s going to turn 40 years old.

:unsmith:

This was a fantastic read. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah that was fantastic. But now I need to check out from the thread and try to appreciate some good things in life before coming back.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I thought I knew quite a bit about the dirty war and the "disappeared," but that post was full of new info - thank you for the effort. It must be very strange for those young people who were stolen as babies and raised by the friends of their parents' murderers. I don't know how I'd be able to deal with that information, especially if I had a close relationship with my adoptive parents before learning the truth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I imagine that would end it.

The last time I heard about the desaparacidos it still hadn't been established how they were killed or where their bodies went, or the information hadn't been widely disseminated.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Even though I've studied enough history that the idea of trying to place individual acts on a hierarchy of worse to worst becomes meaningless, it still gets to me that there's always something else that's horrific in a new and unique way. The first time I realized it was reading Charlie Wilson's War. There was an anecdote about Soviet soldiers, captured by Mujahideen who decided to send a message and kill them by :nms::nms:cutting skin deep around their waists, peeling their skin up over their heads, tie it off, and leaving them to either suffocate or bleed to death and be found by their comrades.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I recently learned what tonsil stones are. I'm almost done with my 20s and I thought I had already discovered most of the horrors of this fleshly vessel, but I guess I was wrong. It's pretty unnerving to learn something that gross has been lurking right inside my mouth for so long, without me ever knowing it was there. I thought my body was all out of surprising new secretions when I hit puberty (pimples).

Both of my parents had their tonsils out as children, and my bio classes never talked about tonsil stones. I wonder what other grotesqueries lurk within me. :nms:

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Great post, thank you. The idea of the death flights is super scary to me. Not just dying in an awful way, but it can never be confirmed...

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

GWBBQ posted:

Even though I've studied enough history that the idea of trying to place individual acts on a hierarchy of worse to worst becomes meaningless, it still gets to me that there's always something else that's horrific in a new and unique way. The first time I realized it was reading Charlie Wilson's War. There was an anecdote about Soviet soldiers, captured by Mujahideen who decided to send a message and kill them by :nms::nms:cutting skin deep around their waists, peeling their skin up over their heads, tie it off, and leaving them to either suffocate or bleed to death and be found by their comrades.

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan. :patriot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiberius Thyben posted:

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan. :patriot:

How will you live Tiberius Thyben?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

dpack_1 posted:

They are put in contaminated waste and incinerated.

As far as i know you can only request to keep pulled teeth and not any kind of tissue.

I asked to see my foreskin in the mid 90s when it was removed for medical reasons. I was a kid though and asked my mum if I could keep it and she refused outright. This was in Holland.

You're welcome for that :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

duckmaster posted:

I asked to see my foreskin in the mid 90s when it was removed for medical reasons. I was a kid though and asked my mum if I could keep it and she refused outright. This was in Holland.

You're welcome for that :)

That sucks. If you had kept it you could have fried it and tossed it onto someone's order of calamari when they weren't looking.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sucks. If you had kept it you could have fried it and tossed it onto someone's order of calamari when they weren't looking.

What do you think his mother did with it?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Varkk posted:

What do you think his mother did with it?

Sold it to a church claiming it was Christs?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Undying foreskin of the Lord, still fresh after 2000 years!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For further unnerving foreskin content, aren't discarded foreskins purchased in bulk by loreal or somebody for use in face cream? Think about that the next time you hug your grandma.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Scully

:nms:
"In 2011, Scully fled from Melbourne, Australia, to the Philippines after being accused of multiple fraud offences. From the southern Philippines island of Mindanao, he is alleged to have run an international pedophile ring and offered live pay-per-view video streams of children being tortured and sexually abused on the dark web including a video titled Daisy's Destruction."

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Have they hung this nutbag yet? Wikipedia article stopped short.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Big fan of Crouch End. There's that old Family Guy gag about Stephen King trying to turn in a book about a lamp monster, but if you read through the wiki entries on his short stories, you realize that'd be well within his wheelhouse.

That's Stephen King's superpower. King can take the stupidest poo poo, and somehow make it so compelling that you don't bother questioning it. A mysterious evil finger living in your drain? Great story. A pair of wind-up chattering teeth going vigilante on some dude's crotch? Surprisingly great read. An immortal demon-bitch sucking fear out of children's tears? I'm genuinely concerned that the alcoholic hobo won't have what it takes defeat her. Oh, look: a stupid wind-up monkey, what's so scary about... OH MY GOD DROWN THAT loving THING IN THE RIVER! A vampire with a pilot's license? This owns. A hard-boiled private eye who turns out to be living inside the stories of an aging, bitter author? Phenomenal story.

King has plenty of misses, but the hits outweigh them by tons.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Moey posted:

Have they hung this nutbag yet? Wikipedia article stopped short.

The proper term is hanged

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_(sniper)

quote:

Juba (Arabic: جوبا‎) (a.k.a. "Joba") is the pseudonym of an alleged sniper involved in the Iraqi Insurgency featured in several videos. The second of these videos shows Juba claiming to have shot 37 American soldiers.[1] Whether Juba is a real individual, a role shared among multiple individuals, or a propaganda/media creation is unknown
Several video clips which allegedly show the actions of Juba have been circulated over the Internet.

No one knows whether he's a real person or just a legend.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

FourLeaf posted:

"In 2011, Scully fled from Melbourne, Australia, to the Philippines after being accused of multiple fraud offences. From the southern Philippines island of Mindanao, he is alleged to have run an international pedophile ring and offered live pay-per-view video streams of children being tortured and sexually abused on the dark web including a video titled Daisy's Destruction."

And that's not even the worst thing from that article.

(Still :nms:)
Peter Gerard Scully (born January 13, 1963) is an Australian child molester guilty of the murder of an 11-year-old girl, and of the torture and sexual abuse of at least eight girls, including an 18-month-old infant.

Jesus Christ.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Wedemeyer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_(sniper)

No one knows whether he's a real person or just a legend.

He's Anonymous. Some random guy can cap some Crusader Soldier and film it.

"Oh my god! who killed the American!"

"Juba killed him."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

I thought Daisy's Destruction was the Barry Goldwater snuff film.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I'm surely missing the joke here, but don't want to google 'Barry Goldwater snuff film'. Care to enlighten me?
Edit: Never mind, it just clicked. Wasn't thinking in terms of nuclear holocaust, more like "what else did that rear end in a top hat get up to?"

Bulgaroctonus has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Mar 25, 2016

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Greek town forcibly evacuated by authorities in 2012 due to a developing landslide. Nothing was done to try to stabilize the slide because the Greek government is broke, villagers are stuck paying property taxes on houses they can't live in, and the abandoned buildings continue to move around with the landslide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur8v6QBFVO8

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jack Gladney posted:

For further unnerving foreskin content, aren't discarded foreskins purchased in bulk by loreal or somebody for use in face cream?
A good number in the US are purchased by Stein and Leibowitz for making wallets. They cost a lot, but it's worth it because if you rub them they turn into messenger bags.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Minarchist posted:

He's Anonymous. Some random guy can cap some Crusader Soldier and film it.

"Oh my god! who killed the American!"

"Juba killed him."

Well, yeah! That's more an apt reference than what I was going to make. I was going to joke and make a Slenderman reference but thought it was too tacky to be the rear end in a top hat linking it and also going :v: "spoopy! Soldiers dying is just like a creepypasta!"l

Venusian Weasel posted:

Greek town forcibly evacuated by authorities in 2012 due to a developing landslide. Nothing was done to try to stabilize the slide because the Greek government is broke, villagers are stuck paying property taxes on houses they can't live in, and the abandoned buildings continue to move around with the landslide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur8v6QBFVO8

poo poo. Three hundred people forced out and no one's doing anything to rectify having to pay for poo poo that's not even hospitable. Surely they could abandon it without pay and left the bank / city / government reclaim it? I suppose it's far different and complicated in Greece.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Mentalizer posted:

And that's not even the worst thing from that article.

(Still :nms:)
Peter Gerard Scully (born January 13, 1963) is an Australian child molester guilty of the murder of an 11-year-old girl, and of the torture and sexual abuse of at least eight girls, including an 18-month-old infant.

Jesus Christ.

Somewhere in the top 10 worst things about those three paragraphs:

"Scully's partner, a 17-year-old Filipino girl, who was also a prior victim of his abuse, as she used to be a prostitute in the Philippines"

The Wiki entry is short, but you can read more detail in the source articles.

quote:

In between filming sessions the pair were allegedly instructed to dig a hole in the home's back garden.

Five days after kidnapping them, Alvarez unchained the cousins. When the girls realised they were digging their own graves they were able to escape.

Peter Gerard Scully posted:

I have done nothing bad.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Making someone dig their own grave is just adding insult to injury

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah but it's also the most efficient way to get graves dug
I guess the compromise is to have them dig each other's graves that way they're not digging their own graves

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wondering if "you're gonna dig your own grave, now stand in the hole" has ever actually worked in the real world, or if it's a fictional contrivance.

Even under extraordinary amounts of stress I can't comprehend how someone could make it easier for their killer to kill them out of some misplaced hope that, I don't know, they'll be spared?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Wondering if "you're gonna dig your own grave, now stand in the hole" has ever actually worked in the real world, or if it's a fictional contrivance.
ISIS has a poo poo ton of videos of Syrian soldiers digging their own graves while cursing their president for getting them killed* and talking about the greatness of the Islamic State, people will do drat near anything if they think there's a chance they could be spared, or just to live longer. Especially with the risk of an even more horrible death than you're already facing.

*Though I think it's entirely likely Syrian conscripts actually hate their president and officers

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

From what I understand, you're never not really thinking that you won't survive. Complying to things like that is just making sure you'll live a bit longer just in case, well, anything happens. Succumbing to complete panic and terror and giving up goes against natural survival instincts. I'm not saying it's impossible to just say "gently caress you, kill me" but going along with it is not as much misplaced as it is a hardwired lizard-brain instinct that's overwhelmingly strong.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
With folks like ISIS I suppose the possibility also exists that they have a fate worse than death in store if you're not willing to make it convenient for them to kill you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would just keep digging and digging until I got away

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would dig the grave and when they asked "Are you ready to die now that you've dug your own grave?" I'll respond "No I dug yours" and they'll be forced to crawl into it and die.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Deified Data posted:

I would dig the grave and when they asked "Are you ready to die now that you've dug your own grave?" I'll respond "No I dug yours"

If these aren't lines from an action movie, they should be. :colbert:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

There's a 4-part documentary here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IsFywNsydw

On one hand, the journalist should be more professional and hold her rage back when talking to him.
On the other hand, she's using waaaay more restraint that I would have.

Also, shamelessly reposting from the "creepy pictures" thread:

"The Anguished Man" - a haunted painting of unknown origins.

The image alone is hosed up. The backstory doesn't help, either.

http://weekinweird.com/2012/11/27/mail-bag-torturous-cries-the-anguished-man/

More info on the painting:
https://www.facebook.com/theanguishedman/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQSWgYNqvI

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Stare-Out posted:

From what I understand, you're never not really thinking that you won't survive. Complying to things like that is just making sure you'll live a bit longer just in case, well, anything happens. Succumbing to complete panic and terror and giving up goes against natural survival instincts. I'm not saying it's impossible to just say "gently caress you, kill me" but going along with it is not as much misplaced as it is a hardwired lizard-brain instinct that's overwhelmingly strong.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. If someone can delay their inevitable death for even a few minutes, in the hopes that someone will come along, or their killer has a sudden heart attack, or something, they're gonna do it.

Deified Data posted:

With folks like ISIS I suppose the possibility also exists that they have a fate worse than death in store if you're not willing to make it convenient for them to kill you.

Only true if time is not a factor. If the ones who wish to do you harm believe that others are coming to stop them, they're not going to bother with any (further) torture.

Deified Data posted:

I would dig the grave and when they asked "Are you ready to die now that you've dug your own grave?" I'll respond "No I dug yours" and they'll be forced to crawl into it and die.

Emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Deified Data posted:

Even under extraordinary amounts of stress I can't comprehend how someone could make it easier for their killer to kill them out of some misplaced hope that, I don't know, they'll be spared?

Have you ever read about this thing called the Holocaust? It was common practice there. I mean given a choice between digging for a few hours and then getting shot, or getting shot RIGHT NOW, most people choose the former.