Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grey Hunter posted:

We take heavy losses, but we destroy the defences at Singapore – we may be able to take it now.

It will be back to Forts 1 tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those torpedoes were overkill for everything they sank.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Palembang should be pretty easy now, but Batavia is not going to fall without a substantial amount of support. Maybe if Singers falls soon, you can ship much-needed reinforcements from there down to Java.

Also real glad to see the Kido Butai hitting some targets of substance, even if they were horribly inefficient about it.

Would mounting an air raid on Soerabaja be possible/beneficial? As an Allied player I usually turn that into a pretty major naval base in the early game.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Grey brought enough for Singapore....

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are you supposed to ignore while you put 100,000 men attacking Singapore? It's silly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goatface posted:

What are you supposed to ignore while you put 100,000 men attacking Singapore? It's silly.

Ideally you want to get to it early and not let it reinforce, more or less as in real life. And the fortress and fortress guns are sort of facing the harbour (which is where the actual city is) but they could still fire at invaders.

wikipedia posted:

It is a commonly repeated misconception that Singapore's famous large-calibre coastal guns were ineffective against the Japanese because they were designed to face south to defend the harbour against naval attack and could not be turned round to face north. In fact, most of the guns could be turned, and were indeed fired at the invaders. However, the guns—which included one battery of three 15 in (380 mm) weapons and one with two 15 in (380 mm) guns—were supplied mostly with armour-piercing (AP) shells and few high explosive (HE) shells. AP shells were designed to penetrate the hulls of heavily armoured warships and were mostly ineffective against infantry targets.[41][42] Military analysts later estimated that if the guns had been well supplied with HE shells the Japanese attackers would have suffered heavy casualties, but the invasion would not have been prevented by this means alone.

Also IRL it's been defended by ~80000 men, although a fair amount of them were mostly untrained colonial troops and with horrible leadership. It's not inconceivable they could've held out for longer. And of course, it does happen to be a hilly jungle island.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 21, 2016

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
RIP Trenton. Here she is in some sick dazzle camouflage:

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Ahh, who am I kidding, you guys only remember the times I screw up.
I remember your great Marianas Turkey Shoot, destroying 100+ airplanes on the ground, Operation Muh Haha, making Vietnam complete communist saving American lives.

But then again I also remember Iwo Jima and 10/28/44, where you lost 3 Essex carriers by forgetting to set CAP.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Private Speech posted:

Ideally you want to get to it early and not let it reinforce, more or less as in real life. And the fortress and fortress guns are sort of facing the harbour (which is where the actual city is) but they could still fire at invaders.

Also IRL it's been defended by ~80000 men, although a fair amount of them were mostly untrained colonial troops and with horrible leadership. It's not inconceivable they could've held out for longer. And of course, it does happen to be a hilly jungle island.

Singapore is the greatest highlight of the stupidity of the ground combat system - it fell easily in real life, but in game its a massive death trap you just can't ignore - I'm going to task more forces to the invasion, but they are not going to be able to help for weeks - they have to be shipped in, then march at a snails pace the eighty miles from Johore Batau to Singapore, because the game won't let me path to Mersing without going through the Singapore hex - and its minefield!

Its bloody frustrating, that's what it is!

I hidnsight, I should have landed everything at Johore and marched down form there, but we live and learn.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Just going to leave this here to remind you how close the KB just came to losing part of its strength.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Court Martial the Captains of all those destroyers. They have ONE JOB.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Splode posted:

Court Martial the Captains of all those destroyers. They have ONE JOB.

hahaha

"Admiral we can confirm that there is nothing no the ocean's surface."

"What about below the surface?"

*silence*

*Destroyer captain quickly runs away and hops in waiting car which screeches away*

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Reuben Sandwich posted:

But then again I also remember Iwo Jima

Something that not a single US soldier who landed there in the greyverse can say. Because they're all dead

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Veloxyll posted:

Just going to leave this here to remind you how close the KB just came to losing part of its strength.

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-Pacific/Update%2027/

quote:

Everyone's favourite Dutch sub is back

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Re-reading the original LP makes me tempted to play this monster again >.>

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The coastal guns at Batavia fire. They hit the smallest ships.

We continue to shoot down their air force.

We see some Hurricanes, and lose a named pilot, but we gun them down three to one – plus a bomber.

We lose a few more planes hitting Batavia, but we smash the enemy ships in the harbour.

The battle for Palembang continues to go well.

We are going to need to rest our troops at Batavia – but we have landed fresh troops to the south.

Hollandia and Madang fall to our forces.

So we're properly ashore in Java. Time to start ripping the place to pieces – I mean, securing the oil.

A lot of rubbish ships were sunk today.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 23, 2016

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Whoa, that was fast. How damaged is Palembang?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Great job Grey, nice to see some gains and the KB back in action. If only we could get Singapore out of the way now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would be good if the KB could go and do CAS over Singapore, but I don't think the Japanese even had CAS doctrine at this point.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did Grey skip the 22nd?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Duckaerobics posted:

Did Grey skip the 22nd?

Yes he did.

Mikl posted:

Ooooooo, time travel! Spooky!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sorry - I'm a bit distracted atm - the wife is now less than two weeks from her due date, and work is crazy.

I'm sorted turn wise until the end of the month, so I'll get cover sorted. I'm just burning the candle at both ends and paying for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Can't wait for the SOVIET RESPONSE.

(Best of luck to you and Mrs. Hunter, Grey!)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

SOVIET RESPONSE.

Thread now has a nickname for GH's baby.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HMS Warspite if it's a girl.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit another ship of Port Moresby.

We gun down some more Allied planes.

A dead swordfish is good!

We, meanwhile, blast some enemy ships from existence!

Their not worth much, but they are better than nothing!

There! That will keep someone happy at least.

We now have a proper foothold.

We now need to march north and support the attack here. Although the Allies are doing a good job of throwing troops away.

The Invasion of Java is going well so far.

While we are losing a few ships to the shore bombardment, they have all been small, fragile ships.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The British have pretty low replacement pools of Swordfish, don't they? If so, shooting down only one out of the two they seem to be throwing each sortie must be punishing for them, given those biplanes are their only real shot at torpedoing your ships from the air this early on.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Please promise me "Grigsby" will be in the baby's name somewhere.

Best of luck!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most of the Swordfish made were ASW jobs for cheap and easy ("aircraft carrier" becomes a much wider class when you take off at about 55 knots) merchant defence. Dunno if they'd even be built yet.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

goatface posted:

Most of the Swordfish made were ASW jobs for cheap and easy ("aircraft carrier" becomes a much wider class when you take off at about 55 knots) merchant defence. Dunno if they'd even be built yet.

That's plenty fast enough when you're hunting U-boats that go at 20 knots protecting convoys that go at 10 knots. With no enemy aircraft to worry about.

Gives pilots time to enjoy their tea while lining up their shots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pthighs posted:

Best of luck!

"I hereby baptize christen thee Enterprise Grigsby Soviet Bigglesworth Kiafeng Defiantly Hunter"

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 24, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blade

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I hereby baptize christen thee Enterprise Grigsby Soviet Bigglesworth Kiafeng Defiantly Hunter"

This is (hopefully) where someone intervenes before Grey smashes a bottle of champagne over the poor infant. :ohdear:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Does a grognard become a grogdad or a dadnard

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

pthighs posted:

Best of luck!

He's gonna aim for the Americanized "Gray Hunter" and end up with "Gary Hunter" for the other half.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can see some unfortunate problems with a name like Gary Grigsby's Jane Grey.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Grey: Carefully sets CAP over crib every night

Frau Jaeger: wtf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TBF literally setting CAP over the crib with a baby mobile of F4F Wildcats, Zeros, Avengers, Bettys and whatnot would be awesome.

EDIT:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We are reloading troops to support the Java invasion, the enemy get a hit in on one of those ships.

We attack a couple of Royal Navy ships in Soerabaja, but the flak is to heavy – our carriers are running low on fuel and sorties, and are returning to Truk to replenish.

We hit Batavia again, we can win here, it will just take some time.

This force on the coast just won't give up!

A quiet day, now that the carriers are withdrawing. But were are still making some progress.

On more ship lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That ship loss ratio is looking decidedly ungood for this stage of the war.