Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Broken Machine posted:

I would add that elections are also much more fluid, dynamic these days. If a candidate says or does something, it is being fact-checked and reposted, dissected in real time. Social media makes it much more possible for people to spread a message and influence elections today, particularly people who would be otherwise without power to shape things. It's much harder to run misinformation campaigns without being penalized.

There's not much evidence of this in general elections, but I imagine it's a big factor in the primaries. I don't know how much weight 538 gives to more recent polls, but probably not enough. He gives Clinton an 88% chance to win Illinois even though the last three polls are a statistical tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Xandu posted:

There's not much evidence of this in general elections, but I imagine it's a big factor in the primaries. I don't know how much weight 538 gives to more recent polls, but probably not enough. He gives Clinton an 88% chance to win Illinois even though the last three polls are a statistical tie.

please stop bernie-broing at us xandu

hillary is inevitable and nate's polls correctly indicate that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

It's much harder to run misinformation campaigns without being penalized.
On the other hand Trump makes things up all the time without penalty.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

e_angst posted:

A good buddy of mine used to be an accountant. I remember years ago when he was asking about getting to borrow to a faster computer, because he was trying to do with with an excel spreadsheet. This was back in 2007, and his requirements were that it have Excel 07 on it, since that was the version where Excel boosted the row limit past 65,000. See, this spreadsheet had several hundred thousand rows in it. He also said the spreadsheet had "over a million large formulas" in it as well (this is why he needed the larger computer, his laptop couldn't actually open the thing anymore).

After he asked that, we proceeded to mock him mercilessly for not switching over to a database. I believe one exact reply was "When a spreadsheet gets that complicated or huge, it's time to recognize that it's become something else entirely, bite the bullet, and pay someone to build the database application it has become."

Microsoft has since added functionality to Excel that lets you offload processing to an actual loving supercomputer.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmao

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

"How can I massage the data to support my predetermined outcome?" - Nate Silver and pretty much every other person who has ever used Stats to make a buck. Dude might have a lucrative future in doing subgroup post hoc analysis for drug trials.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

bawfuls posted:

On the other hand Trump makes things up all the time without penalty.

Trump is an extraplanar being that doesn't have to follow the prime material's rules.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

i still think Paris and San Bernardino has completely hosed this election cycle and we wouldn't be discussing trump right now if it weren't for that, or at least he wouldn't have been able to get away with the whole fascism deal

which is weird because I would have thought most republicans would err on the side of caution and dump Trump for an establishment neocon.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

http://www.theonion.com/article/nate-silver-defends-torture-methods-used-make-elec-52597

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All polls are bogus and Nate Silver is a bullshit artist. Surprised he's been able to fake it so long.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He'll probably do better in the general. Then again, as long as Trump gets the nom, this won't be a hard general to forecast.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Trump has a BRILLIANT political strategy and Encyclopedia Nate is ON IT

Edit: Although to be fair it seems like 99% of journalism is just explaining unbearably obvious poo poo to your imagined audience of idiot coach potatoes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jewel Repetition posted:

He'll probably do better in the general. Then again, as long as Trump gets the nom, this won't be a hard general to forecast.

I am 95% certain that the Democrats will win the general. As it has been since April 2015, the presidency is Hillary's to lose.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The Trump has a BRILLIANT political strategy and Encyclopedia Nate is ON IT

Edit: Although to be fair it seems like 99% of journalism is just explaining unbearably obvious poo poo to your imagined audience of idiot coach potatoes.

Nate Silver has become the John Madden of politics, right down to his stupid loving infographics

If they want to score, they've got to run with the ball or kick it. They've got to run with the ball, or they've got to kick it. Boom.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
It's the Democrats running a lovely candidate, as much as I prefer Clin-ton to becoming overlord over Trump there's like a 20-30% chance an october recession or ISIS hitting US puts Trump in office

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

Nate Silver has become the John Madden of politics, right down to his stupid loving infographics

If they want to score, they've got to run with the ball or kick it. They've got to run with the ball, or they've got to kick it. Boom.

Actually John Madden has a lot of football history and understanding of the game. Please don't disparage Mr. Madden that way.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Typo posted:

It's the Democrats running a lovely candidate, as much as I prefer Clin-ton to becoming overlord over Trump there's like a 20-30% chance an october recession or ISIS hitting US puts Trump in office

There's always the potential for a September surprise but 20% seems high.

After the first debate we'll know for sure how this poo poo shakes. Based on the Clinton/Sanders debates I'm a lot less worried about Clinton's ability to roll with punches. Anyone who knows anything about Trump's history knows he's more intelligent than the character he's playing in the Republican circus, and I expect him to come out swinging at much higher than a 4th grade level when it's a general audience he's playing to. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the first Obama/Romney debate, which is my main concern.

There are other things that will influence the outcome too. If Republicans get their brokered convention, their nominee might not get the post-convention bump, even if they stick with Trump due to his popularity.

The Whole Internet has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Nate Silver reminds me of the Hollywood algorithm guy who scammed the Hollywood studios, but ultimately bought his own hype and tried to make movies.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/relativity-media-ryan-kavanaugh-c-v-r.html

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Whole Internet posted:

There's always the potential for a September surprise but 20% seems high.

Betting markets have a 30% chance of a GOP victory last time I checked.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Why is Kasich not listed as a conservative christian? He's deeply religious, wants to ban abortion. What?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Whole Internet posted:

Why is Kasich not listed as a conservative christian? He's deeply religious, wants to ban abortion. What?

It's about presentation, not policies. Kasich differentiates himself by campaigning as a moderate politician who is willing to compromise to get government working. Cruz plays on his Christianity and his belief in uncompromising conservatism. Trump's schtick is that he doesn't care about any of these factions and is going to expel the money changers from the temple the moment he gets the nomination.

And, compared to his competitors, Kasich is somehow a moderate. Several contenders advocated invoking the 14th Amendment to stop all abortion, courts be damned.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Mar 23, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Christie's jump would make Evel Knievel jealous.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That remains the dumbest venn diagram I have ever seen

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

For added comedy, go to Twitter where this bullshit was posted to see people burbling over its brilliance and asking for the same thing, but for Democrats!

But seriously, this is the data visualization of the future? :psyduck: just kill me

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Poor lonely Rand Paul. A whole bubble to himself.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

For added comedy, go to Twitter where this bullshit was posted to see people burbling over its brilliance and asking for the same thing, but for Democrats!

But seriously, this is the data visualization of the future? :psyduck: just kill me

Nate Silver and the parasites clinging from his pasty rear end are all huge retards.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like that graph even if has obvious problems with the limits of what it can represent.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Jewel Repetition posted:

I like that graph even if has obvious problems with the limits of what it can represent.

They made a retarded completely arbitrary graph and then put one of their made up data points outside of it. They're morons and the graph is dumb.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bernice Anders posted:

They made a retarded completely arbitrary graph and then put one of their made up data points outside of it. They're morons and the graph is dumb.

It's hard to say it's completely arbitrary, since the categories really are flavors/coalition members of the Republican party, and the candidates do reside in them. Are you talking about how the endorsement jumps wouldn't look as long if the circles were in different places?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

538 doesn't separate its "real" stats from its completely made up stats and that's a Problem

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's hard to say it's completely arbitrary, since the categories really are flavors/coalition members of the Republican party, and the candidates do reside in them. Are you talking about how the endorsement jumps wouldn't look as long if the circles were in different places?

They took statements like "it's surprising that a moderate like Christie would endorse a tea partier like trump" and tried to make them look like math

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"Ritchie King is a visual journalist for FiveThirtyEight."

lomarf

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Here ya go.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's surprising when you look at them politically, but not when you look at them personally, since they're both corrupt bullies from adjacent states.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I had no idea UPS was a significant GOP donor, weird

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Powercrazy posted:

I am 95% certain that the Democrats will win the general. As it has been since April 2015, the presidency is Hillary's to lose.

Romney, an inoffensive robot, lost every single demographic except white men. I can't see Trump, an openly sexist, racist rube, doing any better. In the general election cycle, he's going to be eviscerated for all the dumb poo poo he's said. The demographics of this country have shifted too much for Trump to win anything but the reddest of states.

I also can't imagine Trump having a better ground game than Hillary. His success so far has been based largely on outsized media coverage. What's the game plan for actually getting people to the polls during the general election?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bernice Anders posted:

trump is an outsider :shepicide:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavahbeast posted:

I had no idea UPS was a significant GOP donor, weird

guess who profits immensely from the continued slow strangulation of the USPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

zeal posted:

guess who profits immensely from the continued slow strangulation of the USPS

And who would benefit even more if the whole thing was privatized like they talked about a while back

• Locked thread