Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Devian666 posted:

Yes but the bottom 105.43% make less than the average wage every year. I don't think it's percentage of population but more likely some sort of income or commission percentage.
oh wtf I didn't notice the 8% next to it, I'm thoroughly confused - how much money am I going to be making???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

oh wtf I didn't notice the 8% next to it, I'm thoroughly confused - how much money am I going to be making???
If you can add numbers together then you are not their target demographic. Sorry, this offer doesn't apply to you! :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blinkman987 posted:

Anybody familiar with this pitch/scam? I really wanted to know what it was, but it wasn't worth a phone call. This seems like it could be a MLM. Anybody familiar with it?

canyoneer posted:

Gonna bet it's an MLM, possibly one with Primerica selling crappy securities

Just chiming in to agree with canyoneer. It's either Primerica, or World Financial. Both are thinly-veiled MLMs scams that sell mutual funds through people whose "certification" is questionable. Even if it ends up being from Edward Jones or Investors Group I'd be suspicious.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anyone who says 'whole life insurance' and 'investment' in the same sentence without a big IS NOT AN in the middle should be summarily ignored, possibly tarred and feathered.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mocking Bird posted:

So why not go to an accredited law school? Or self teach?

The only person that has self taught themselves anything like this is Will Hunting and he's not even a real person. Ain't nobody sitting down and cracking law books for the heck of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4br1uy/how_do_i_setup_for_my_irresponsible_parents/

quote:

I'm 32, and I'm not well off by any means, but I make 46k and doing okay. The issues is my mother. She's 53 and been a self-employed artist her entire life and while she did okay in the past, the kind of work she did took a lot of energy that she doesn't really have anymore. So as of right now she is completely broke, living rent-free in exchange for fixing up the house she's in and gets the rest of her expenses in a combination of state assistance and my credit cards. She's trying to get started making money again, but it's tough when she has never filled out a W-4 before and has no official employment history in 35 years of working, though she does have an impressive portfolio and resume.
Her getting off my life support is a good short term goal, but I'm looking long term now.... she has never paid into social security, she has no retirement funds, her credit is around 530, she is blacklisted from getting checking accounts, and owes the IRS like $15,000 (the other 50k or so has 'timed out' I guess, so the rest will, too?). Far as I can tell, she's %$!@#. Which mean, I'm &!@$%. What's the best way to start preparing for this, even if it's 15 years out?

Well that's a little pickle they've got.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Follow up comment was just as good, when someone asked if she'd married someone who had paid into social security:

quote:

Being the free spirit that she is, she married someone else who's never had a job, but they're divorced now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You need 40 quarters of work to qualify for retirement, so she can still get SS as long as she gets a real job for at least the next decade. And that's if she's never worked a job that paid social security tax - which is difficult to do even when your spirit name is Moon Moon. She may have 4 or 5 quarters already accumulated from early jobs.

She wouldn't get much Social Security. But maybe enough to hang her dream catcher on a lovely mobile home.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 24, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pig slut lisa posted:

This reminds me of the guy in the Republican Primary thread who kept posting intentionally terrible graphs and charts

e:

Remains my favorite chart ever. Second is probably the 3d one, with the trump towers overshadowing everything and santorum being poop colored.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

You need 40 quarters of work to qualify for retirement, so she can still get SS as long as she gets a real job for at least the next decade. And that's if she's never worked a job that paid social security tax - which is difficult to do even when your spirit name is Moon Moon. She may have 4 or 5 quarters already accumulated from early jobs.

She wouldn't get much Social Security. But maybe enough to hang her dream catcher on a lovely mobile home.

The thread does say she's never paid into social security, ever. So yeah she's gotta get on that yesterday.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Barry posted:

The only person that has self taught themselves anything like this is Will Hunting and he's not even a real person. Ain't nobody sitting down and cracking law books for the heck of it.

Abraham Lincoln would like a word with you.

But yeah, if you want to learn law stuff and don't want to be a lawyer, it's cheaper to read some books rather than go to a Mickey mouse law school

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

How would a free spirit artist type owe the IRS $15k without some of that being self employment tax?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Can I get a link to the chart posting guy?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Droo posted:

How would a free spirit artist type owe the IRS $15k without some of that being self employment tax?

When you sell your art, that's income. Since she'd be self-employed, it is her responsibility to be estimating how much money she'd be earning from art sales throughout the year and in doing so, should have been making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS to cover said art sale(s). At the end of the year, she would square it all up by filing her tax return. Pretty sure that $15/50k was from she just hadn't been paying the quarterly estimates.

Does the 40 quarters of work to qualify for Social Security not even apply to self-employed folks? Because if so, that's bupkis and incredibly punishing to entrepreneurs. She has those 40 quarters of work, she just needs to file income taxes for the past however many years in order for them to count.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

daggerdragon posted:

When you sell your art, that's income. Since she'd be self-employed, it is her responsibility to be estimating how much money she'd be earning from art sales throughout the year and in doing so, should have been making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS to cover said art sale(s). At the end of the year, she would square it all up by filing her tax return. Pretty sure that $15/50k was from she just hadn't been paying the quarterly estimates.

Does the 40 quarters of work to qualify for Social Security not even apply to self-employed folks? Because if so, that's bupkis and incredibly punishing to entrepreneurs. She has those 40 quarters of work, she just needs to file income taxes for the past however many years in order for them to count.

In this situation, she would pay self employment tax on the income and most of the 15k would actually be social security/medicare tax.

You need very little income to get the maximum of 4 credits per year ($1260 per credit), and social security is very regressive in the way it pays out (90% of average monthly income over 35 years up to $900 or so, 40% of AMI from 900-4000 or so). It's hard to imagine not having 5k of taxable income in at least 10 years of your lifetime, while also not qualifying for spousal benefits.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hit that level at the age if 26. Is it GWM to stop working now and collect social security?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hit that level at the age if 26. Is it GWM to stop working now and collect social security?

Here are the monthly benefits you would get at full retirement age based on maxing out the income cap for X years and then never working again.

10 year benefit 1237.201524
15 year benefit 1648.959238
20 year benefit 2061.432381
25 year benefit 2248.253214
30 year benefit 2441.723214
35 year benefit 2642.946071

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Droo posted:

Here are the monthly benefits you would get at full retirement age based on maxing out the income cap for X years and then never working again.

10 year benefit 1237.201524
15 year benefit 1648.959238
20 year benefit 2061.432381
25 year benefit 2248.253214
30 year benefit 2441.723214
35 year benefit 2642.946071

Where can you check your current SS accrual?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://www.ssa.gov/ ! They have finally left the stone age.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's pretty nifty, glad you don't need to look at a bunch of reference tables and create a spreadsheet now.

Also cool that it shows your (taxed) earnings for literally every year you filed taxes.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 24, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

daggerdragon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if she took some creative deductions. She had a kid, there's no way she's not doing that deduction. Probably a few others also (your aura is a dependent right?). Get caught doing that after a span of years and you'll get a nice balance with the IRS.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
One nice thing about getting older is that every year I'm less likely to have my social security cut.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

slap me silly posted:

It would be cool if this worked for me. I wonder what address/phone number they have...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

slap me silly posted:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Way better than what it used to be!

Nail Rat posted:

That's pretty nifty, glad you don't need to look at a bunch of reference tables and create a spreadsheet now.

Also cool that it shows your (taxed) earnings for literally every year you filed taxes.

Looking at my own report I'm wondering what I did to earn $150 back when I was 13 years old.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

pig slut lisa posted:

Looking at my own report I'm wondering what I did to earn $150 back when I was 13 years old.

You probably blocked out the memory, seeing a therapist GWM?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It would be cool if this worked for me. I wonder what address/phone number they have...

Same here...Kinda makes me worry about what mistakes they have in their system.

Barry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4br1uy/how_do_i_setup_for_my_irresponsible_parents/

Well that's a little pickle they've got.

Man this is basically me except my brother's the one that provides the financial support because I stopped doing it a while ago. :smith:

I basically cut off my parents with the caveat that I'd be available for one extreme emergency a year, with a hard upper limit on cost and I'd be free to allocate strings as I felt necessary. My mom took me up on it once, but I think they've found my brother more pliable. In the meantime, I have a small pool of money that I have socked away for the years in which they're basically incapable of taking care of themselves, but it won't be a pretty or well funded retirement, that's for sure.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I'm just pumped I can finally order a replacement SS card, as soon as that link starts working.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Going to law school is bwm. Going to am unacredited law school is so bwm that it's almost inconceivable that people do it. Even on the occasions where it's not a scam it's almost certainly a poorly thought out fantasy. Be glad you didn't go.

You'd be better off elevating your life another way. Now I don't know you really yet, so I'd need to establish a better relationship/trust, but I we can maybe, possibly, open the door to this couple who has coached us the last two years.

My mom just retired from a long and successful career in law, and her advice to people who ask her about law school is "If you can't get into a top-14 school, don't go at all."

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Powerlurker posted:

My mom just retired from a long and successful career in law, and her advice to people who ask her about law school is "If you can't get into a top-14 school, don't go at all."
A top 50 school is good enough if and only if it is in the market you plan to practice law in. But yeah, T14 or nothing isn't a bad attitude either.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Powerlurker posted:

Probably shouldn't go even if you can get into a top-14 school, unless you get something like a full ride. Unless you really know for a fact you want to be a lawyer (and you have good knowledge of what that means), a JD is an albatross. Best not to make it an albatross that costs you 6-figs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unamuno posted:

Unless you really know for a fact you want to be a lawyer (and you have good knowledge of what that means), a JD is an albatross.

So how else can one rigorously study the law? Is there some "BA vs BSc" path available?

I doubt I would ever practice law, but I really do want to study it intensively at some point in my life.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You can get paid to do a PhD and then go in to patent law.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

You can get paid to do a PhD and then go in to patent law.

A PhD in what? You don't mean a JD, I assume. The IP lawyers I've worked with have said that I'd do fine in that field, and it interests me, but the whole plan is structured around the fact that I don't have, and likely won't ever have, a college degree of any kind other than honorary.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

So how else can one rigorously study the law? Is there some "BA vs BSc" path available?

I doubt I would ever practice law, but I really do want to study it intensively at some point in my life.

https://law.stanford.edu/education/degrees/advanced-degree-programs/

Here you go. Or just look for JD-PhD programs but without the JD. Or the PhD.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Droo posted:

It's hard to imagine not having 5k of taxable income in at least 10 years of your lifetime, while also not qualifying for spousal benefits.

If they were married ten years she can qualify for half of what he would receive. I'd be impressed if he also doesn't hit 40 quarters before they reach 62. Not a winning combo!

Edit : alternate plan. She should marry some 90 year old and then collect his SSA widow benefits!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PCjr sidecar posted:

https://law.stanford.edu/education/degrees/advanced-degree-programs/

Here you go. Or just look for JD-PhD programs but without the JD. Or the PhD.

Many of those seem to require that you have a JD already, but I'll poke at those which don't. Thank you!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

A PhD in what? You don't mean a JD, I assume. The IP lawyers I've worked with have said that I'd do fine in that field, and it interests me, but the whole plan is structured around the fact that I don't have, and likely won't ever have, a college degree of any kind other than honorary.

There are undergraduate level law classes at regular 4 year universities under political science, sociology, and criminal justice curriculums.

Maybe get a bachelors before jumping into advance studies, or look into auditing courses at a real law school?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

As a practicing lawyer, I just lol a lot at someone "studying the law" for shits, like It's just reading a biography of Washington or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mocking Bird posted:

Maybe get a bachelors before jumping into advance studies, or look into auditing courses at a real law school?

I'm almost 25 years into my cybernerd career and occasionally lecture at colleges, so I'm not especially interested in doing a bachelors (except maybe classics), but auditing could be good. I think that I probably would not apply myself as well without a grade/credit on the line, but it might be a worthwhile experiment.

Apologies to all for derailing this thread into subjunctive-hobby-law, but it's been super informative!

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Subjunctive posted:

I'll ship you a bunch of BarBri books for $50. They're from 2010/2011 and I've already marked up all the quizzes, but the information contained within is still probably >99% accurate. Study them intensively for a few months and you'll probably pass in whichever state it is that allows non-JD holders to take the bar exam. You're welcome in advance for saving you tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars and at least 2 years of potential income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Unamuno posted:

I'll ship you a bunch of BarBri books for $50. They're from 2010/2011 and I've already marked up all the quizzes, but the information contained within is still probably >99% accurate. Study them intensively for a few months and you'll probably pass in whichever state it is that allows non-JD holders to take the bar exam. You're welcome in advance for saving you tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars and at least 2 years of potential income.

I'd totally become a hedge lawyer if it were allowed where I live :negative:

• Locked thread