Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Inflammatory posted:

what is even the deal with machamp's running grab move? it starts as a counter and then becomes a grab. how are you supposed to deal with that?

jump over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Inflammatory posted:

what is even the deal with machamp's running grab move? it starts as a counter and then becomes a grab. how are you supposed to deal with that?

jump or attack, the counter part is just a shield to get close and you can challenge the grab

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dosvidanya posted:

jump or attack, the counter part is just a shield to get close and you can challenge the grab

On that note, does Machamp have really bad antiair game? I've literally never seen a Machamp use their antiair moves.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Theta Zero posted:

On that note, does Machamp have really bad antiair game? I've literally never seen a Machamp use their antiair moves.

machamp's body slam acts as a sort of good anti-air if you time it right, but the more likely explanation is they don't know when to use anti-air yet so they avoid it

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Machamp's counter is his anti air

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
pokkensingleplayer.jpg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can win but unless you're doing the Chandalure a button spam or you've spent a good amount of time learning the game online you probably aren't going to beat him on your first attempt.

I was kicking his poo poo in up until about the last 100HP when suddenly he started blocking everything I was throwing at him...not sure what changed, or if I just lost the rhythm of the fight, or what.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
this just in: weavile's duel phase down+x interrupts garchomp's dig.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Yeah, anything with a low-enough profile (most duel phase down+Y and down+X attacks, charizard flamethrower, machamp body slam) will beat Dig outright, but the best response to Dig is to block and punish. Most characters get a full punish from a blocked Dig.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i guess so, but on the other hand, WAAAA

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

I was kicking his poo poo in up until about the last 100HP when suddenly he started blocking everything I was throwing at him...not sure what changed, or if I just lost the rhythm of the fight, or what.

His AI gets a little bit better when he's low on HP but it's still doable.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Thanks for the advice on the previous page everyone.
I'm still full of salt but at least things are becoming clearer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've put some time into Sceptile. How good is he? I'm assuming he's somewhere around mid-tier.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

IronicDongz posted:

I've put some time into Sceptile. How good is he? I'm assuming he's somewhere around mid-tier.

there is no real defined tier list yet thats researched, but sceptile has a lot of interesting field play with traps and grabs and such, so yeah stick with him

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SilverSupernova posted:

Every time I lose matches in online mode, Nia keeps congratulating me and telling me how her advice must really be helping me.

I turned her voice acting to Japanese just so I wouldn't understand her bullshit.

it turned from "Wow you were turned into a punching bag" followed by "Wow you're learning so much!"

to a bunch of moon speak I can't understand, and I just don't read the advice anymore. I am much less annoyed by losing now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I turned her voice acting to Japanese just so I wouldn't understand her bullshit.

it turned from "Wow you were turned into a punching bag" followed by "Wow you're learning so much!"

to a bunch of moon speak I can't understand, and I just don't read the advice anymore. I am much less annoyed by losing now.

Why don't you just turn advice off completely?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sade posted:

For some reason, even if you do she still says stuff between rounds/after matches. I have no idea why.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You have to go into sound settings and you turn her off there. Her advice will only show up as text then.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sade posted:

This exactly
VVV

Xad posted:

For some reason, even if you do she still says stuff between rounds/after matches. I have no idea why.

You can apparently turn all voices off, but that also turns off pokemon sounds as well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm in love with Nia.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

You can apparently turn all voices off, but that also turns off pokemon sounds as well.

Not true. You can choose between Japanese, English or off in the sound settings for Nia and it just affects her.

The game would be unplayable to me if not for that. Her Japanese voice is also pretty drat bad.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 24, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Turning the "Voice" slider all the way down also does not affect pokemon sounds.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I don't like blocking machamp's body splash as weavile since that has huge +advantage and lets him follow up with whatever, but the only thing I can think of to do against it is his taunt stance counter. Up+A loses to it because it's projectile immune or just has a bad hurtbox priority (edit: i think it's just a bad hurtbox since i know i can up+y it as gengar on reaction). Up+y loses out because it either whiffs or tracks poorly. I haven't been bold enough to jump Y spam it.

Is there a recording option in training mode? I can't seem to find it if there is. It's the one move i hate to lose out on because i see it coming a mile away and i feel like i'm forced to eat it as weavile (especially if it's a crossover and i accidentally slide into a corner)without finding something that cleanly beats it 99% of the time.

Also a couple of other weavile notes: His x+a counter is a low projectile so it whiffs/trades poorly with moves that are projectile immune like charizard's high stance dash. It also isn't aoe so it loses out to crossovers poorly (another reason i don't like using it versus machamp's body splash lol).

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 24, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I just realized that the trainer that rides by on a bike on the village stage in a loop with a Volcarona behind him is hatching eggs using its heat body ability.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Theta Zero posted:

I just realized that the trainer that rides by on a bike on the village stage in a loop with a Volcarona behind him is hatching eggs using its heat body ability.
Excuse me, it's flame body.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah dude, hatching eggs with body heat would be ridiculous. Flames are where it's at.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hello, I was told there's a demo for this game but I can't seem to find it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello, I was told there's a demo for this game but I can't seem to find it.

Only on the European eShop at the moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Theta Zero posted:

The daycare center nearby also has like 20 Gabites bouncing around in it and a single ditto.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Let no one say that the Pokken developers don't know the audience for the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Only on the European eShop at the moment.

That's hosed up.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
European eShop keeps on getting all the pokemon poo poo. Why don't we have mystery dungeon or Ranger over here, huh? :(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Tips for getting in on folks/closing the distance with Machamp?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Machamps weird little running grab is very annoying as a Mewtwo player but it doesn't seem like he has any good approach options once I've adapted to it and just whack him in the face whenever he starts running at me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

learn how to counter attack dash cancel. if you do it right you can tank any hit other than grabs and just work your way forward, its very similar to FADCing in sf4

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
If that's too risky, slowly walking forward while shielding works too.
While this can lead to broken shields it conditions the opponent to use grounded projectiles, which you can then punish with a jumping X or body slam.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is anything actually punishable in this game? Or do you always have an option to make a move.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I've been trying to understand the combo system.

Combo A is this Pikachu Libre bnb I posted before. Combo B is the same, except omitting →X, →X at the beginning (which is useful since anti-airs matter).

A deals 155 damage. B deals 148 damage.

If you combo off of j.Y (3 hits, 30 damage) with A, you will deal a total of 185 damage. With B, 178
Fully charged counter (1 hit, 90 damage), A deals 140 (and Shifts), B deals 130
Single hit j.A (1 hit, 60 damage), dash forward, A deals 118 (and Shifts), B deals 118
j. X (1 hit, 30 damage), A deals 159, B deals 160

I've stopped trying to understand the combo system.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Evil Canadian posted:

Is anything actually punishable in this game? Or do you always have an option to make a move.

Some things are, but most of the time you have to go through a move rather than avoid/block it.
Hell Pika-libre has a grab that hits on the ground and catches jumps, you are FORCED to attack through it.
It took me so long to realize that when I predict a grab I should be pressing X instead of jumping.

Edit:
I just went to a website and on it there were two early tier lists claiming to be accurate.
One had braixen as the top character and another had her as the bottom. I'm glad nobody knows anything.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Benach posted:

I've stopped trying to understand the combo system.

I think combos should ideally be measured in more than just damage and starting move.
Machamp has what would otherwise be an infinite (Crouching X -> Jump Y) that functionally isn't one due to phase shift.

When looking at combos I think the most important thing, even moreso than damage is how much % of phase shift it brings.
This makes judging these sorts of things super confusing, in that a light combo may end up more damaging than a heavy but cause shift.

• Locked thread