Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Everything can capture objectives, a unit with the Obj Sec rule has priority over those that don't.

Basically it means when you run into a Demi Company of Marines you better hope you can kill all those fuckers because having just one survive means they will score over your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This reminds me.

If I want to include a Culexus Assassin in an army of space marines, how does that work? Is the assassin an ally or does it just fill an elite slot? And, how do I go about adding an assassin if I field a demi-company or Gladius Strike Force?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Now that they've been out for a bit, what is the consensus on the Skitarii? I'm still thinking about maybe picking up a starting box of them, it seems like a fairly good value, but I never know with GW. I like the Skitarii since they look like a fun goofy shooty army that has some neat melee.

Skitarii look cool as gently caress. Haven't played them but I'm thinking about picking some up.

PierreTheMime posted:

Just be aware that if you're using Skitarii you cannot legally field a Combined Arms Detachment or Allied army list, as the army has no HQ units. This limits you to the Battle Maniple FOC in the Skitarii book and the various formations available. As far as I know Skitarii cannot get Objective Secured, so they're cool and fun but pray to the Omnissiah you can shoot those CAD Tacticals/Ork Boyz/$troopunit off the objective in time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're free to take a Combined Arms Detachment of Adeptus Mechanicus or even Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Marines, etc. and then have Skitarii codex formations in addition. So its not a so bad, you just really have to combine Skitarii with some other faction, adeptus mechanicus if you wanna be fluffy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Star Man posted:

This reminds me.

If I want to include a Culexus Assassin in an army of space marines, how does that work? Is the assassin an ally or does it just fill an elite slot? And, how do I go about adding an assassin if I field a demi-company or Gladius Strike Force?

If you make an unbound army, you can just take everybody and all imperium of man are super allied and so pretty much act like they're the same for most rules, they can join units together if they're independent characters and they can repair each other or whatever. But you don't get any tactics bonus or the capture point bonus.

If you want to make a detachment army, you'll have to find a detachment that allows you to use space marines and culexus assassins, which there probably isn't any. Which means you'll have to take one detachment of space marines, and another detachment of culexus assassins. As long as you can find a detachment that lets you take just culexus assassin in the codex for the assassins, then you're golden. If not you'll have to find some assassin HQ to go with them, but you're still good.

Really you probably want to play unbound vs unbound or detachment vs detachment, the whole "capture point rule" thing is just there if you really want to play your unbound army against some friend of yours' detachment army and try to make it work. I do like that GW put a lot of "make up your own story and do whats fun, screw the rules" in the rulebook for 7th.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Star Man posted:

This reminds me.

There is an Assassin formation that lets you take one. And the Execution Force formation that lets you take all 4.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

I wont be there on the weekend - but I will be there the 18th and 19th (Mon/Tue)

That's a shame. I'm heading there that weekend with a few buddies.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I am sorry guys. I had talked about organising goonpocalypse III to celebrate SRM and Ghost Hand's travel over. (I know you guys will be hanging out with the FW elite but I had intended we could run a parallel game and you could hang out when you fancied) Unfortunately having a one month old and a two year oldmeans that I cannot abandon my wife for the time it takes to drive up and down to Nottingham.

I am keen to meet you both as I am grateful for both your contributions to my personal wider hamming experience. I am trying to get a day pass to come to salute and I will hopefully get a chance to ambush you at some point there.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 24, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're free to take a Combined Arms Detachment of Adeptus Mechanicus or even Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Marines, etc. and then have Skitarii codex formations in addition. So its not a so bad, you just really have to combine Skitarii with some other faction, adeptus mechanicus if you wanna be fluffy.

This is true, but for a player starting out telling them "yeah you can play this army but you should also buy another army too", while very GW, might not what they want to hear. Cult Mechanicus is the obvious matchup for a CAD or ally but their Troops are slow and will be high priority targets because of their damage capacity. Plenty of other Imperium factions would work but really changes the style of play.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My ham friends and I will probably be going to Salute, but ever so wisely GW have chosen that exact day to do their big in-store 30th anniversary Space Marine release, whatever it is. So I'm not sure what will take precedence for us. I do want to go but unless I have a bunch of spending money it'll just be a long drive to do window shopping.

If I can get that Monday off I'd be happy to arrange things for a goon game, but I'm not so great at coming up with scenarios or narratives - I'd probably crib things off the last game that JackMack set up and go from there!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

PierreTheMime posted:

This is true, but for a player starting out telling them "yeah you can play this army but you should also buy another army too", while very GW, might not what they want to hear.

True, but if you buy the getting started set for them it already is a mix of Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus, and running both of those factions together isn't going to feel as odd as say, marines and guard. It's just wierd that they split the book.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm still down with hanging around in WHW and having a retro-off with SRM :D

May be better to hang around and chat with individual games than trying to arrange a big one this time? I can also bring stuff along if people want to trade bitz etc.

In other news Kromlech released their new buggy - http://bitsofwar.com/home/454-blitzkrieg-222-assault-vehicle.html

Expensive at 40 euros for a buggy but it looks awesome so may be worth it anyway if you only want a single unit :orks101:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

jadebullet posted:

True, but if you buy the getting started set for them it already is a mix of Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus, and running both of those factions together isn't going to feel as odd as say, marines and guard. It's just wierd that they split the book.

The Getting Started kits are legit good deals. The Skitarii box is a little weird since it forces you to buy both codices to play it unlike all other kits. Techpriest Dominus models are both awesome looking and quite powerful on the table and the mini-Preferred Enemy buff isn't bad. Getting that, a few other Skitarii kits, and a couple boxes of Kataphron models is a pretty quick way toward a decent army with some OpSec models. It's really not that much of a stretch to start building toward a War Convocation at that point. :getin:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I have been looking at that set for a little bit, as I really like those Admech Lancer guys, but I have been holding off since I don't even have my Chaos in a playable form yet, and I already have built a test mini for a low points side project for when I need a break from painting black.

Speaking of which, how are the Wulfen on the tabletop? From what I have seen they have some pretty nice rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

This is true, but for a player starting out telling them "yeah you can play this army but you should also buy another army too", while very GW, might not what they want to hear. Cult Mechanicus is the obvious matchup for a CAD or ally but their Troops are slow and will be high priority targets because of their damage capacity. Plenty of other Imperium factions would work but really changes the style of play.

Its true. They're definitely a funky faction and probably not ideal for newbies. But you can make em work for sure if you really want to.

jadebullet posted:

GW gotta get paid.

I had a good laugh when I saw that Dark Angels got their own codex. (But Black Templars don't?)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of which, how are the Wulfen on the tabletop? From what I have seen they have some pretty nice rules.

Obscene in close-combat. If they get toe to toe with anything they'll happily rip it to pieces. Their 4+ save does hurt them, making it easier to pick them off before they get too close though, and I've seen it's far too easy for people to plunge too many points into kitting them out at the detriment to the rest of the army.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I had a good laugh when I saw that Dark Angels got their own codex. (But Black Templars don't?)

Dark Angels have been a separate Imperial faction for decades. Black Templar used to be but were close enough to standard codex that they just rolled them in. They may not strictly adhere to the Codex Astartes but they basically just more zealous Space Marines that don't spawn new chapters whereas as space vampires and more specialized chapters would be tougher to collect into one book.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Dark Angels have been a separate Imperial faction for decades. Black Templar used to be but were close enough to standard codex that they just rolled them in. They may not strictly adhere to the Codex Astartes but they basically just more zealous Space Marines that don't spawn new chapters whereas as space vampires and more specialized chapters would be tougher to collect into one book.

:shrug: Back when I played Blood Angels got their codex out of a magazine and Grey Knights were still using a codex from like 3rd edition. The whole thing was in shambles. I didn't think Dark Angels had their own but there was definitely a lot of stuff out there I didn't even know about back then. I guess I'll have to grab the Dark Angels codex and see what all they put in there.

I'm playing catchup and to their credit GW seems to have cleaned things up in a big way. I actually really like the new 7th rules.

Was originally leaning towards picking up Blood Angels again like I used to, but now I'm leaning towards building a Chaos force instead (And possibly fluff it that they're the same faction as my old guys, now turned to the dark gods). And of course part of me wants to just go ahead and do both, and also maybe some xeno faction for a change, but there goes my wallet :retrogames:

Went looking for my old minis but I guess most of them got lost during a move somewhere back. I still have a Furioso Dreadnought though :)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Blood Angels and Dark Angels used to share the Angels of Death codex iirc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Blood Angels and Dark Angels used to share the Angels of Death codex iirc

Googling, that was like 2nd ed, so slightly before my time. We played 3rd, 4th and 5th. Looks like there was a Dark Angels codex at that point but I just didn't have it and my friends didn't either. :shrug:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This is official and it's pretty funny

regimental-standard.com

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played my new box o' demons yesterday. Fatey, a pimped out LoC, screemerstar, and a Tzeetch knight against my roommates Demonkin dawgrush on ITC relic.I siezed on him and was able to buff up and kill the unattached Cypher with Incursion summoned screemer fly overs on turn one for First Strike. He caught my nurglings and the LoC in a multiassault and tried to get a ton of wounds on the nurglings to evaporate my LoC but it didn't happen. I charged with the knight and he wound up stomping everything out. The screemers got stuck on a lord and some nurglings for a few turns while while fatey shot the poo poo out of his LoC and summoned more screemers to kill bloodletters that wound up in my back field. At the end of the game all he had was some summoned dawgs that stuck the landing next to the relic and all I lost was a herald from the warpstorm and some troops that held my backfield.

Tanky demons is fun and a 3++ reroll 1s, 4+ FNP S8 LoC is no drat joke. He walked though everything he fought.

Mango Polo posted:

regimental-standard.com

"Feeble Claws."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

regimental-standard.com
From what I can tell it's mostly reprinted stuff from the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, but that's not a bad thing at all. That little book's a gem.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fuegan posted:

That's a shame. I'm heading there that weekend with a few buddies.

Sorry I am missing you! I will be at Salute in London on Saturday...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgu_fBlSjk

E: Found the ingame video. Perfectly orky.

The release is now scheduled for April 21st, which I think is a great decision based on what I've played so far. If they clean up the issues seen so far, they're going to have a fantastic game on their hands. Also, apparently there is going to now be a 6th faction (Space Marines being the 5th) that is also going to be free with anyone who had pre-ordered the game.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 25, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Finished the last Tactical squad for Adepticon, just a Rhino and Command Squad to finish. Going to start the Command tonight, I think they will look pretty pimp, I'm so short on time I'm likely to call in to work once to pull an all nighter to get the display board finished, and everything packed properly along with any final painting. Toss in a ton of Easter/friends/family poo poo and the next 7 days are keeping me busy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Boon posted:

The release is now scheduled for April 21st, which I think is a great decision based on what I've played so far. If they clean up the issues seen so far, they're going to have a fantastic game on their hands. Also, apparently there is going to now be a 6th faction (Space Marines being the 5th) that is also going to be free with anyone who had pre-ordered the game.

Man, I really hate the motion graphics techniques they use to animate illustrations. I feel like execs think it's a good way to get cheap animation but it just makes everything seem so weightless and lifeless.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JRYTkg5fQ

Turn on CC so you can tell what they are saying.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
So was this the Ork fandex one of you Lord dudes mentioned you were completing?

I'm considering converting it into a BattleScribe data file, if so.

In the meantime, I'm about done with 20 Flayed Ones, & think I'll start up on Deathmarks next. They'll be DS-ing in with a Destroyer Lord to lay into my buddy's goddamned Wraithknight, because gently caress that thing.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grognan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JRYTkg5fQ

Turn on CC so you can tell what they are saying.

That's so loving good xD

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hey hamgoons, BuffaloChicken and I and our crew are getting together tomorrow afternoon at my place for a 2v2 game of 40k, 2000 pts per side. I mention this because we'll be streaming the game on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/thechirurgeon

Feel free to stop in if you are interested. We should be starting sometime around 5pm, though I'll post when we're ready to go live. It'll mostly depend on when our 4th player arrives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I picked up the Dark Vengeance starter set, seemed like a good value and the fast way to get back into 40k. And a bunch of paints and brushes. And another codex. I guess I'm back into this poo poo deep now :retrogames:

If I try to like paint these Dark Angels as another faction, are people going to complain that they're technically dark angels models or whatever? People often mod their units right? I guess I just gotta see what people in my area are cool with. I've got a friend who'll play with me and I'm sure he's cool with whatever.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Hra Mormo posted:

Goddamn, I know this guy, used to live in my town. Famous for making FOTM armies, taking them to tournaments, losing and starting again with another FOTM army. Also famous for throwing his models into a wall during games.

It's a small world. He always came across as a chill guy online.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, I really hate the motion graphics techniques they use to animate illustrations. I feel like execs think it's a good way to get cheap animation but it just makes everything seem so weightless and lifeless.

It was good...up until the Inquisitor's mouth started moving Monty Python style

It goes without saying I'm really hyped for this game

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

:agreed:
I'd take Max Payne-esque comic panels over cheesy motion comic stuff.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey hamgoons, BuffaloChicken and I and our crew are getting together tomorrow afternoon at my place for a 2v2 game of 40k, 2000 pts per side. I mention this because we'll be streaming the game on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/thechirurgeon

Feel free to stop in if you are interested. We should be starting sometime around 5pm, though I'll post when we're ready to go live. It'll mostly depend on when our 4th player arrives.
I'm playing 4 squads of Catachan Veterans, mostly with the Forward Sentries stealth upgrade, to go against a bunch of Tau and Necrons with Ignores Cover. :getin:

I'm bringing a bunch of good beer and finally trying out my wacky unbound list, though, so overall it should be good. I want to ally with TheChirurgeon and see if he gets madder than me when my dudes all die.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

So was this the Ork fandex one of you Lord dudes mentioned you were completing?

I'm considering converting it into a BattleScribe data file, if so.

In the meantime, I'm about done with 20 Flayed Ones, & think I'll start up on Deathmarks next. They'll be DS-ing in with a Destroyer Lord to lay into my buddy's goddamned Wraithknight, because gently caress that thing.

Nope, ours was much simpler! Found at goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com

Ive been intending to convert it up into a nice pdf but work has been murdering me recently so I haven't had time to do blog hobby, just normal hobby.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I picked up the Dark Vengeance starter set, seemed like a good value and the fast way to get back into 40k. And a bunch of paints and brushes. And another codex. I guess I'm back into this poo poo deep now :retrogames:

If I try to like paint these Dark Angels as another faction, are people going to complain that they're technically dark angels models or whatever? People often mod their units right? I guess I just gotta see what people in my area are cool with. I've got a friend who'll play with me and I'm sure he's cool with whatever.

Only the grognardiest jerk will complain. What matters more (but technically isn't required anymore) is modeling your models with the proper equipment/weapons. What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) is the accepted standard because otherwise things can get either unintentionally or intentionally confusing/vague.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm trying to play catchup on the changes since I used to play, seems like there's only 7th ed codexes for Marines, Dark Angels, and Tau? Is that right? (Really? Tau?)

So with how 40k always worked the 6th ed codexes for the other factions are still tournament legal or whatever, yeah? What are the chances that they'll crank out 7th ed codexes for some of the remaining factions, like Chaos, Blood Angels or Orks? Should I just go ahead and grab the 6th ed codexes since I hear 7th ed isn't very different from 6th anyways?

Sounds kinda like the Chaos version of the Deathwatch the way you've got dudes from different loyalist chapters mixed in. I like it.

I'm a dumb American and I love BFG:A :911: Its a good game and well worth the $35.

Before you buy anything more, you might want to read this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750899&pagenumber=288&perpage=40#post457854529

Doctor Borris posted:

So currently in 40k Balance you have...

Space Marine Humans - Pretty good to really good.
Tau - Top tier.
Eldar - They gonna give it to ya.
Dark Eldar - They are not gonna to give it to ya.
Adeptus Mechanics - One single formation is good. The rest is just junk.
Humans Who Are Not Marines - Pretty much junk. Tanks are stupidly bad. Just imagine like as bad as Tyranids here.
Humans Who Are In A Really Big Robot - Pretty good and requires a silver bullet to stop.
Tyranids - Just the worst thing. Rules are written by someone who actively despises them and have been written by this person for several editions.
Orks - Also terrible. Really really bad. If people shoot at them they get confused and shoot each other.
Demons - Really good with a certain specific formation. Has lots of terrible trap options and entire gods are garbage.
Chaos Marines - Good army as long as no Chaos Marines are taken and only robots or demons. For demons See Above.
Necrons - Pretty good in certain formations. Has some crap too.

So 4 are decent. 3 are decent in a very specific formation.

7 are garbage if you just take fun and interesting armies.

Thats not very well balanced.

"What do I mean by formation?"
When I say one formation of Adaptus Mechanicus is good here is how it works in this tactical game: All your stuff gets free weapon upgrades and plasma weapons for free. They are the best plasma weapons and don't explode in the users hands and set them on fire where they run around in circles then die. Other non formation plasma weapons do this. Also the entire army lands in pods from space and gets to get a free round of shooting from anywhere on the board. If you do not take that formation you do not get anything in return.
This is how formations work in 40k except some people get terrible formations. Tyranids for example.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah dude don't worry about it. The majority of my 60ish bolter marines and at least 4 of my Sargents are the Dark Vengeance marines and I am certainly not usually playing them as Dark Angels. Just make sure your gear is clear and no one will care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Only the grognardiest jerk will complain. What matters more (but technically isn't required anymore) is modeling your models with the proper equipment/weapons. What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) is the accepted standard because otherwise things can get either unintentionally or intentionally confusing/vague.

That's what I figured. Although now I'm wondering how far I can push the WYSIWYG / "ai-is" rules, because the faction I'm thinking about making would be a renegade space marine chapter that's fallen to chaos but only recently and not completely, so I'd ideally like to modify some space marine models and use them as chaos. I figure nobody would complain about using dark angels as ultramarines, but can I get away with using dark angels as chaos marines?

If I did, I'd specifically color-code them to make it obvious which units they're supposed to be, and they'd be mixed in units with proper chaos marines to further drive home the point. And I might even further mod them with pre-Heresey helmets or something.

I don't really play tournaments so for casual play I think most people would be cool with it. And I guess I could always get some more proper chaos marines later on, and swap them depending upon if the person I'm playing with says its kosher or not. That seems like a good strategy.

Thanks. I kinda figured that anybody left with a 6th ed codex is probably in a so-so state. I guess I could play Blood Angels again and be more competitive than Chaos Marines, but honestly I'm just not that kinda tryhard tournament gotta-win player. I'm more about just having fun collecting my own force, painting them, and then having some casual battles with them where I get to see them kill some dudes and die in heroic fashion. If I lose more often than I win I'm not gonna throw a fit about it.

• Locked thread