Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Laserface posted:

That is an awful comic that is 100000x better drawn and worded than any first dog.

Well of course it is, Stan Kelly is the greatest cartoonist in our world today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Also holy poo poo you know nothing at all about history. IRA?
Religion and Violence don't correlate, the correct correlation is poverty, history and disenfranchisement. For example I'm heading to Indonesia (Muslim) where I work routinely speak some of the language and am very safe, enjoy your time travelling in Democratic Republic of Congo (Christian).

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Monis had an islamic flag, and made hostages stand in front of it. If that isn't an attempt to promote extremist islam then what is it? The kid with the knife had an islamic state flag, do you think if he'd been successful and killed a cop that the flag would've stayed in his pocket and not been put on display? Why else would you carry the symbols of a cause or religion when carrying out an act like that if it wasn't a significant motivation for that act? Even simply dying for a cause is important for extremist muslims, just look at the way they carry on about martyrs.

If they aren't actually connected to ISIS in any way, perhaps they are doing it for attention? If someone like Monis acted out and attacked his perceived enemies, he would be on the news for a day or two. But stage a armed stand-off and wave the ISIS flag around, and he will be talked about and used as political rhetoric for far longer. By adopting something more popular, he is making himself more popular by association. Is that really much of a stretch to make?

I think there is a distinction to be made between terrorism conducted by an individual and terrorism conducted by an institution. They often have differing causes and motivations, and are combated/solved in very different ways. If you classify Monis as an Islamic extremist/ISIS, then you end up spending money on counter terrorism units, signals intelligence and monitoring, looking for him in a place where he doesn't exist. Monis is a very good case study as to why conflating the sources of terrorism can lead to people him slipping through the cracks and causing trouble.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Zenithe posted:

Will check that out, cheers.

So yeah, cover letters. Apologies if you've already doing this, I thought my friend was doing this as well but she wasn't. You'd think someone with a Masters degree would be able to write a cover letter and get a job, but nope. It was awful.

The old cover letter, the one that did not get a response for a whole year: http://pastebin.com/d23wYXQd

Reasons it was bad:
- She does not engage or address the employer, or the job sought
- She talks about herself too much without linking it to the job sought
- It's obviously a generic letter to send to everyone

We worked on it together, improving it is various ways. I can't say if it's the best cover letter or I'm a pro but it has got her an interview with every application after that.

The new cover letter, with appropriate addressing of the issues related to the job: http://pastebin.com/pcdJ42YP (feel free to steal)

Reasons I think it is good:
- Refers to the employer, the job offered, the company
- Repeatedly refers to how her skills and experience relate to the job offered
- Shows interest and enthusiasm
- Kept under a page - *it could almost do with one of the middle paragraphs erased.
- *the RE: line should be bolded, so the employer clearly knows what you're applying for

I think the first couple of lines are the most important in showing you aren't sending a proforma letter. Start out strong and grab their attention. The last couple of lines asking them to call you/get in contact with you are also nice to get right.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

hooman posted:

Regarding silencers: Given the evidence you've presented I'm now fine with legalisation. As I said I didn't know much about the issue.

Legalising silencers for hunters would present a pretty large safety issue for anyone else using the area (including hunters). Nothing says there's a hunter in the area like a big old gunshot.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...323-gnpo0q.html

quote:

A High Court challenge to Senate voting changes is based on "hopeless" or "weak" grounds but should be resolved expeditiously because it is of considerable public interest, the government's top lawyer has said.

Independent senator Bob Day launched a constitutional challenge on Tuesday to the Senate voting changes, which are aimed at curbing the power of micro parties to use preferences to translate a small primary vote into an upper house seat.

He says the changes are "contrary to the constitutional principle of representative government".

Appearing in the High Court in Sydney on Thursday, Commonwealth Solicitor-General Justin Gleeson, SC, said the case "deserves expedition" but there was a question about whether Senator Day's arguments had sufficient merit to warrant a full court hearing.

He told the preliminary hearing before Chief Justice Robert French that the case attacked not only the recent changes to the law but the broader system of Senate elections, in place since 1984.

The logical consequence of Senator Day's argument was that he had been "sitting invalidly in the Senate" for the past three years and "Senator Day is not Senator Day".

If this were the case, it was "at best a solemn farce and at worst is a participation in a nullity".

Mr Gleeson said Senator Day had not explained why he had left it "until five minutes to midnight to bring a case invalidating his own position as senator".

I mean they still want to argue it cos it's important, but it is pretty funny on Day's part

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bent Wookiee posted:

Legalising silencers for hunters would present a pretty large safety issue for anyone else using the area (including hunters). Nothing says there's a hunter in the area like a big old gunshot.

I thought guns were still pretty loud even with silencers, just a bit less loud.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

hooman posted:

I thought guns were still pretty loud even with silencers, just a bit less loud.

Most of the time they baffle the sound, so it's very hard to tell where the shot came from. They don't make a cute little pew-pew noise (generally).

Plus (correct me if I'm wrong) I hear they don't help the accuracy of your firearm, so I can't see any reason a hunter would want to use one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Makes his penis gun look bigger.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because they're considerate? The same reason you might not want to drive around with an open exhaust on your car even it does make it a bit more powerful. I don't think they make enough of a difference wrt power or accuracy for it to matter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And when you're shooting in a national park, you don't want to upset all the kids out walking with their families.

SOMETHING MOVED SHOOT IT!!!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Emails sent.

I prefer the old hand written one, but I suppose spamming the email is better than nothing

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hooman posted:

Monis put the flag up in a window, and the kid has the IS flag in his car.

The reason I draw a distinction between religious extremism and terrorism and am uncomfortable with associating all attacks by religious extremists with terrorism is precisely the conclusions that people like LibertyCat draw. Muslim men are evil and Islam is totally incompatible with Australia. I think we need to be much more careful about what we refer to as terrorism and what we see as violence inspired by other reasons (insanity/gently caress the police). The more we draw a distinction between "normal violence" and "terrorism" the more we play exactly into the aims of groups like IS. If there wasn't such a panic about terrorism and police pushing crackdowns do you think that kid with the knife would have stabbed those officers? Do you think that calling these things terrorism (which I see as stretching the definition) we improve this situation?

I'm willing to accept I'm totally wrong about this though.

That seems to be part of Cartoon's reasoning too, although maybe my read on that is wrong. My view is that these things are what they are. We have a definition for terrorism, these attacks match it (some more than others) so why pretend it isn't there? If there is a problem with the way others respond then that is an issue of lack of education and outreach and even if you successfully change the way these attacks are labled you are just going from 'muslim extremists are terrorists' to 'muslim extremists are violent murderers' which doesn't help with the pigeonholing of muslims much as far as I can see.

Tokamak posted:

If they aren't actually connected to ISIS in any way, perhaps they are doing it for attention? If someone like Monis acted out and attacked his perceived enemies, he would be on the news for a day or two. But stage a armed stand-off and wave the ISIS flag around, and he will be talked about and used as political rhetoric for far longer. By adopting something more popular, he is making himself more popular by association. Is that really much of a stretch to make?

I think there is a distinction to be made between terrorism conducted by an individual and terrorism conducted by an institution. They often have differing causes and motivations, and are combated/solved in very different ways. If you classify Monis as an Islamic extremist/ISIS, then you end up spending money on counter terrorism units, signals intelligence and monitoring, looking for him in a place where he doesn't exist. Monis is a very good case study as to why conflating the sources of terrorism can lead to people him slipping through the cracks and causing trouble.
All terrorism is done for attention though, that's the point. An attack that people ignore or don't notice is a failure from the perspective of the attacker be they an established organisation like ISIS or a lone wolf/nutcase like Monis.

Your second paragraph seems like splitting hairs. There would be merit in classifying it like that for internal purposes, but the public don't care. They see a guy talking about furthering the cause of extremist islam with a gun holding hostages. It might not be an institution but it certainly is part of a broader cause.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
If you guys have questions about hunting with silencers then there's a Swedish (? I think) tfr goon who does it all the time. The idea it makes hunting less safe for others is wrong, just because you don't know an armed person is around doesn't make them more dangerous to you.

A properly fitted silencer using the correct ammo will have no adverse affect on the firearm or is performance. The use of subsonic ammo will change the ballistics vs supersonics but that's not the cans fault.

One other one I read in here was that they don't make guns quite. Quite is a subjective thing but a suppressed .22lr is not going to be heard by someone not standing withing 5 meters. An MP5 SD is so well suppressed that the register of the shot of quieter than the register of the action cycling, just as an example of how quiet a gun can be.

Suppressed hunting is arguably more ethical as it doesn't scare ever other animal within earshot? I think that's what gets said. Ignoring that suppressors don't make guns anymore dangerous but they do make them more user friendly. If they were legal then there could be "silent" ranges where you don't need ear pro', that would make for a great place to teach people about firearm safety. Sorry for the derail if you really do have questions then tfr is the place to go.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
guns are for fukken wimps tho

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

That seems to be part of Cartoon's reasoning too, although maybe my read on that is wrong. My view is that these things are what they are. We have a definition for terrorism, these attacks match it (some more than others) so why pretend it isn't there? If there is a problem with the way others respond then that is an issue of lack of education and outreach and even if you successfully change the way these attacks are labled you are just going from 'muslim extremists are terrorists' to 'muslim extremists are violent murderers' which doesn't help with the pigeonholing of muslims much as far as I can see.

All terrorism is done for attention though, that's the point. An attack that people ignore or don't notice is a failure from the perspective of the attacker be they an established organisation like ISIS or a lone wolf/nutcase like Monis.

Your second paragraph seems like splitting hairs. There would be merit in classifying it like that for internal purposes, but the public don't care. They see a guy talking about furthering the cause of extremist islam with a gun holding hostages. It might not be an institution but it certainly is part of a broader cause.

ISIS has been banging the drum about inspiring attackers in their home countries since their inception. You can't discount someone who's carrying out a terrorist act just because it was planned and enacted by an organisation externally. When they can find the know how on pro ISIS message boards and carry them out in their name they're a terrorist and it's a terrorist attack. It's also entirely plausible that someone like Monis can be both a lone nut and a terrorist and his actions an act of terrorism. It's not a binary equation.

It's not fear mongering hate speech to suggest that it might not be a great idea to take "military age males" en masse from a country known specifically at this point for being a breeding ground for extremist thought and action, a pipeline which a terrorist organisation has specifically said it has used and will used for infiltration of western countries arguably its common sense.

Tasmantor posted:

If you guys have questions about hunting with silencers then there's a Swedish (? I think) tfr goon who does it all the time. The idea it makes hunting less safe for others is wrong, just because you don't know an armed person is around doesn't make them more dangerous to you.

A properly fitted silencer using the correct ammo will have no adverse affect on the firearm or is performance. The use of subsonic ammo will change the ballistics vs supersonics but that's not the cans fault.

One other one I read in here was that they don't make guns quite. Quite is a subjective thing but a suppressed .22lr is not going to be heard by someone not standing withing 5 meters. An MP5 SD is so well suppressed that the register of the shot of quieter than the register of the action cycling, just as an example of how quiet a gun can be.

Suppressed hunting is arguably more ethical as it doesn't scare ever other animal within earshot? I think that's what gets said. Ignoring that suppressors don't make guns anymore dangerous but they do make them more user friendly. If they were legal then there could be "silent" ranges where you don't need ear pro', that would make for a great place to teach people about firearm safety. Sorry for the derail if you really do have questions then tfr is the place to go.

Other thing to keep in mind is that even if you can hear a shooter actively hunting or can't its not going to be any more or less safe because a HUGE part of the safety course is about ensuring your shot is clear BEHIND what you're aiming at.

If you're in danger from a poo poo head with a rifle you'd be in danger loud or quiet.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 24, 2016

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

BlindSite posted:

Other thing to keep in mind is that even if you can hear a shooter actively hunting or can't its not going to be any more or less safe because a HUGE part of the safety course is about ensuring your shot is clear BEHIND what you're aiming at.

If you're in danger from a poo poo head with a rifle you'd be in danger loud or quiet.
This is what I meant by no more dangerous.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Birdstrike posted:

guns are for fukken wimps tho

Exactly. When I go to make a political statement through mass assault and murder, mine's going to be through the ancient Chinese method of tying someone down and making bamboo grow through them.

A chuting spree.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BlindSite posted:

It's not fear mongering hate speech to suggest that it might not be a great idea to take "military age males" en masse from a country known specifically at this point for being a breeding ground for extremist thought and action, a pipeline which a terrorist organisation has specifically said it has used and will used for infiltration of western countries arguably its common sense.

"Military age males" - so, we'll stop extremism by separating families escaping war zones of our own creation?
"En mass" - the yellow peril has ended, comrade, and we won
"Breeding ground for extremist thought and action" - a war zone, that Australia created, with people in it defending themselves from the invaders (Australia)

"Common sense" - a big wall around Australia.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cleretic posted:

Exactly. When I go to make a political statement through mass assault and murder, mine's going to be through the ancient Chinese method of tying someone down and making bamboo grow through them.

A chuting spree.

The medium is the message and your message is terrifying, bravo sir.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

asio posted:

"Military age males" - so, we'll stop extremism by separating families escaping war zones of our own creation?
No-one is forcing them to come here. If Home is so dangerous they should be happy that their women and children are safe. If this makes them extremists, well, they'll be extremists far away from Australia.

quote:

Yes but the demographics of "asylum seekers" (a mixture of genuine refugees, economic migrants, and the odd ISIS plant) are predominately Muslim.

quote:

"Breeding ground for extremist thought and action" - a war zone, that Australia created, with people in it defending themselves from the invaders (Australia)
I argued against the Iraq War at the time, but we can't change history.

quote:

Not gonna lie, if I had to choose between Di Natale and Trump, I'd pick Trump.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LibertyCat posted:

No-one is forcing them to come here. If Home is so dangerous they should be happy that their women and children are safe. If this makes them extremists, well, they'll be extremists far away from Australia.

Yes but the demographics of "asylum seekers" (a mixture of genuine refugees, economic migrants, and the odd ISIS plant) are predominately Muslim.

I argued against the Iraq War at the time, but we can't change history.

Not gonna lie, if I had to choose between Di Natale and Trump, I'd pick Trump.

It really is incredible just how little it takes for a libertarian to completely drop their principles and start supporting authoritarian measures.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I see a difference between strict immigration rules (that apply to non-citizens) and rules that apply to Australians.

I support civil liberties - even though I personally dislike headscarves etc I'd never tell anyone they can't wear one. I oppose importing a culture that does not support women's rights to wear what they want etc.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaaa FreedomKitten wants to stop immigration so he can piss on a book without retaliation and they say dnd is without humour :allears:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

I see a difference between strict immigration rules (that apply to non-citizens) and rules that apply to Australians.

I support civil liberties - even though I personally dislike headscarves etc I'd never tell anyone they can't wear one. I oppose importing a culture that does not support women's rights to wear what they want etc.

So you're willing to use national borders and citizenship as a line of demarcation for someone's rights? And you can't see how this is hypocritical for a libertarian? In your ideal stateless fantasy land how would you deal with this problem?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So you're willing to use national borders and citizenship as a line of demarcation for someone's rights? And you can't see how this is hypocritical for a libertarian? In your ideal stateless fantasy land how would you deal with this problem?

Supporting Strong Borders to protect the freedom of those within those borders isn't hypocritical. I care about Australians. I don't particularly care about the rights of anyone else.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

Supporting Strong Borders to protect the freedom of those within those borders isn't hypocritical. I care about Australians. I don't particularly care about the rights of anyone else.

:laffo: Protect the white race!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
why are you arguing with a troll?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LibertyCat posted:

I care about Australians.

Why would you?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
"Australians" includes more than white people.

I'd rather accept a thousand black refugees who agreed that gay people should be left alone than a thousand white refugees who don't. Culture is what matters to me, not race.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I don't care about the rights of libertarians, personally I think we should grind them to paste and store it in a toxic waste dump

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

asio posted:

I've seen some retarded jumps of logic in my time but your bullshit takes the cake.

No where in my post did I advocate closed borders, non muslim refugees only or not taking families.

And blaming australia for isis is the most retarded poo poo I've read today.

Maybe you can work chemtrails and lizard people into your next post.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't care about the rights of libertarians, personally I think we should grind them to paste and store it in a toxic waste dump

OTOH I fully support your right to be a fuckwit on a politics forum.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

OTOH I fully support your right to be a fuckwit on a politics forum.

Just not off an internet forum then, given your idea for an ideological test for immigrants?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BlindSite posted:

I've seen some retarded jumps of logic in my time but your bullshit takes the cake.

No where in my post did I advocate closed borders, non muslim refugees only or not taking families.

And blaming australia for isis is the most retarded poo poo I've read today.

Maybe you can work chemtrails and lizard people into your next post.

Yo we've been killing arabs in their homes for over 100 years. Some of them have managed to get here so their kids can be inside the tent pissing out, instead of having to buy a new tent every time he hears a "kill that oval office".

retarded leap of logic? No, u

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Being a fuckwit on an internet forum harms no-one. Rioting and threatening to behead people for, say, publishing cartoons, has a chilling effect on free speech.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Must be nice when you've got everything figured out and it's all so black & white

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

asio posted:

Yo we've been killing arabs in their homes for over 100 years. Some of them have managed to get here so their kids can be inside the tent pissing out, instead of having to buy a new tent every time he hears a "kill that oval office".

retarded leap of logic? No, u

Nah thats cool man. I agree. Australia is the sole cause of islamic extremism. Never mind the literal hundreds of other causes starting with their own home grown bullshit. Its the evil of Australia.

Glad we could clear that up as if it has any impact on anything Id mentioned in my original post.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
We kinda did invade Palestine with the light horse probably around exactly 100 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
What about who gives a gently caress about borders? It is a waste of money keeping this arbitrary idea around. You as a libertarian think the government needs to regulate the flow of people into and out of this land because they aren't citizens? Who pays for that? gently caress off.

• Locked thread