Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

VoidBurger posted:

The bulletheck parts of Undertale were fun and easy and my only background in bulletheck is from The Binding of Isaac.

please. the term is now Bullshit Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Snak posted:

Speaking of bullet hell, when are they putting Ikaruga on ps4?
Treasure isn't doing much of anything anymore, sadly. Their last original project (Gaist Crusher) doesn't seem to have done very well at all, their revolving-door policy means their staff are kind of scattered all over the Japanese games industry, and they don't really have the IP rights to port very many of their games to other platforms.

drat shame, really.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Kins posted:

Treasure isn't doing much of anything anymore, sadly. Their last original project (Gaist Crusher) doesn't seem to have done very well at all, their revolving-door policy means their staff are kind of scattered all over the Japanese games industry, and they don't really have the IP rights to port very many of their games to other platforms.

drat shame, really.
It sucks that Japanese IPs that aren't owned by the major publishers have been pretty much lost to the ether in general. It's not like in America where even dead franchises can have a new lease on life.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jay Rust posted:

I didn't like Undertale combat either. It's neat but maybe a little too hard to be fun, at least for my dumb reflexes

Yeah, honestly it's an interesting gimmick but I'm near Undyne fighting this possessed dummy, and I've died a bunch of times because my reflexes are terrible.

Git Gud is advice that works for dark souls, because it does require a bit of strategy, along with skill. This is pure skill-based and I can't do it and it just isn't enjoyable to me. People in this thread like to circle jerk about undertale being the best game ever, and any other dissenting opinion being completely wrong. But no, it is bullshit hell, and I hate it. It's not fun which is disappointing because I like the characters, I like the dialogue. And I'm forced to use their utterly horrible combat system which is ruining the rest of the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just watched a Let's Play and called it a day

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish that river city ransom underground would come out soon instead of being continuously delayed :\

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jay Rust posted:

I just watched a Let's Play and called it a day

Same friend. this game isnt worth my time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

things i learned about ravane in march
  • big idiot
  • reflexes of toddler
  • "Bullshit Hell"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So what are some good "monster collecting" style games that people would reccomend? Obviously Pokemon, but the genre is pretty big by now, what are some titles you remember fondly?

I'd reccomend Jade Coccoon 2 for the PS2. It's got a weird art style and some amazingly cheesy voice acting, but there's a real sense of identity and a good atmosphere it generates. I can't say I ever got very far in it, but there's a lot of stuff you can do with the monsters you collect, a breeding system and elemental growths and all sorts of stuff.

A more modern title I really liked was Yo-Kai Watch, which manages to still make the DS touch screen feel fresh and fun again even after so many years of us using it. Yo-Kai Watch has tons of charm and a lot of neat monster designs and the more I think on it the more fond I am of it, so if you have been excusing yourself from checking this game out, go do it now! It's great fun and will easily fill in the 3 weeks or so before Dark Souls 3.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Shin Megami Tensei

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

absolutely anything posted:

things i learned about ravane in march
  • big idiot
  • reflexes of toddler
  • "Bullshit Hell"

I have MS, so no I do not have good reflexes. which is why I stick to story games primarily. Dark souls took me 3 years to beat and it is my greatest gaming accomplishment. Also, calling me a big idiot for having different opinions from you is dumb. Namaste.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what are some good "monster collecting" style games that people would reccomend? Obviously Pokemon, but the genre is pretty big by now, what are some titles you remember fondly?

It's far from perfect, but Fossil Fighters Frontier was fun.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd reccomend Jade Coccoon 2 for the PS2. It's got a weird art style and some amazingly cheesy voice acting, but there's a real sense of identity and a good atmosphere it generates. I can't say I ever got very far in it, but there's a lot of stuff you can do with the monsters you collect, a breeding system and elemental growths and all sorts of stuff.

A more modern title I really liked was Yo-Kai Watch, which manages to still make the DS touch screen feel fresh and fun again even after so many years of us using it. Yo-Kai Watch has tons of charm and a lot of neat monster designs and the more I think on it the more fond I am of it, so if you have been excusing yourself from checking this game out, go do it now! It's great fun and will easily fill in the 3 weeks or so before Dark Souls 3.
Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

why do big idiots always assume they are called such because of their video game opinions

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

why do big idiots always assume they are called such because of their video game opinions

because idiots like you vehemently defend your favorite games from criticism.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
To be fair, you did everything you possibly could to make the game unenjoyable for yourself.

Pro Tip for 3DS owners: A lot of the Sega 3D classics are on sale right now for 4 bucks each. I'm getting 3D Streets of Rage 2 and 3D Gunstar Heroes right now. Always good to pick these up. Gunstar Heroes definitely has and I'm pretty sure SOR2 has local co-op.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
4 dollars is way too much for either game, "3D" or not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVFgxsrqLyY

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I like both of those games and am willing to spend four bucks on them to be able to carry them around. =|

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

because idiots like you vehemently defend your favorite games from criticism.

i don't think laughing at Bullshit Hell is a vehement defense of anything but ok

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Electric Lady posted:

To be fair, you did everything you possibly could to make the game unenjoyable for yourself.

That's not true. I enjoyed every aspect of the game except for the combat mechanics, which I don't have the reflexes to be able to actually complete. It's tougher for me than it is for most other people. So yes, I didn't enjoy that because it was ruining the rest of the game simply by limiting my ability to progress.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Electric Lady posted:

I like both of those games and am willing to spend four bucks on them to be able to carry them around. =|

they're very good games that are worth $4, hell, i'd even say $5.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm not going to judge anyone else for their spending habits I just think it's pretty ludicrous to charge people more than a dollar or two at most non-sale price for 15-20 year old games with no additional content beyond a simple 3D job.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

i don't think laughing at Bullshit Hell is a vehement defense of anything but ok

You're calling me an idiot and mocking my reflexes because I'm complaining about Undertale's mechanics. You're defending something.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not going to judge anyone else for their spending habits I just think it's pretty ludicrous to charge people more than a dollar or two at most non-sale price for 15-20 year old games with no additional content beyond a simple 3D job.

It isn't simple and they do add other options to the games.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Regardless of my own frivolous purchases, I am now embarking on the truly difficult quest: What is the best 3DS game for Two Bucks?

It's Gunman Clive, isn't it

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

You're calling me an idiot and mocking my reflexes because I'm complaining about Undertale's mechanics. You're defending something.

ok yes i did say your reflexes were bad because you were having trouble avoiding the word "bark" but the big idiot part came from an entire month's worth of you being a big idiot and nothing else

Lady Naga posted:

yeah because old games are just about worthless (i mean they're OLD come on) and they're just taking 5 minutes to shove some 3d in there and callin' it a day :rolleyes:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Electric Lady posted:

Regardless of my own frivolous purchases, I am now embarking on the truly difficult quest: What is the best 3DS game for Two Bucks?

It's Gunman Clive, isn't it

Probably. I was sick one afternoon and bought it and played through it in a couple of hours to keep me occupied and it was absolutely perfect for that purpose.

That sounds a bit like damning with faint praise but I mean it, it was satisfying as heck. Nothing fancy, but charming and solid and worth the price. I haven't played 2.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 24, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

This is fantastic. Better than I could have hoped.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

M2's Sega 3D Classics have tons of work put into them, even in just making them run nicely on a 3DS in stereoscopic 3D. They also actually do have extra content, although the Megadrive ones often don't have as much added as the arcade ones, for various reasons. Sometimes it's just cheat modes so people with time-blunted reflexes can see the whole game and the ending, sometimes it's whole special rearranged game modes with new music and bosses.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

ok yes i did say your reflexes were bad because you were having trouble avoiding the word "bark" but the big idiot part came from an entire month's worth of you being a big idiot and nothing else

Fair enough, but I can't change my reflexes, they're only going to get worse.

Most of me being called a big idiot this month is having controversial opinions about the Wii U not having many good games, talking poo poo about the division being racist, defending watch_dogs from censorship, getting in a cat fight with Lady naga, saying the Hitman 47 is immoral, saying Metroid Prime 2 is annoying for making scavenger hunts mandatory, complaining about undertale, and complaining a lot about not having a good enough computer to run a lot of games.

Check my posts if you want (click the question mark). Those are all the reasons why people called me an idiot in this thread.

90% of this stuff is me having a different opinion than everyone else on a game, and nobody willing to accept alternate opinions. Now if you're calling me an idiot for my spat with lady naga, you're fully welcome to do so. That's my bad, I am an idiot.

But otherwise, yes you are calling me an idiot for having different opinions than you on the most subjective poo poo. I don't care if it got a 5/10 from every game reviewing site, if I like it, then I like it. It's an opinion, deal with it. The wii u is lovely, that's my opinion, you can't really convince me otherwise when the wii u itself couldn't convince me. You might like it, but I don't.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I didn't know that they're actually trying with the new ones, the old 3d remasters just seemed like adding 3d, calling it a day and then charging anywhere from five to ten dollars for something I can pick up at a flea market for pennies. Still though, as a value judgement I still don't really see myself dropping that kind of money on super old titles in the age of the app store game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ravane posted:

Most of me being called a big idiot this month is having controversial opinions about the Wii U not having many good games, talking poo poo about the division being racist, defending watch_dogs from censorship, getting in a cat fight with Lady naga, saying the Hitman 47 is immoral, saying Metroid Prime 2 is annoying for making scavenger hunts mandatory, complaining about undertale, and complaining a lot about not having a good enough computer to run a lot of games.

Thank you, I am new to this thread and its nice to have a heads up on the going ons around here.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Wii u is a piece of poop that just happens to be the only console you can play some really good games on (Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, etc). I hope the Nintardo Stewie Head rights some of the egregious wrongs of the Wii U's design and UI implementation but I'll believe it when I see it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also keep in mind that "defended watch_dogs from censorship" really means "grossly misinterpreted a very simple point in order to score ideological points"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The Wii u is a piece of poop that just happens to be the only console you can play some really good games on (Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, etc). I hope the Nintardo Stewie Head rights some of the egregious wrongs of the Wii U's design and UI implementation but I'll believe it when I see it.

Well the rumor mill does seem mostly positive. I'm really hoping the bit about it being easy to design for is true at the very least.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Also keep in mind that "defended watch_dogs from censorship" really means "grossly misinterpreted a very simple point in order to score ideological points"

To be fair, a lot of people had no idea what you were trying to say at first.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ravane posted:

To be fair, a lot of people had no idea what you were trying to say at first.

An equal number of people did and were incredibly baffled by the people who misinterpreted the point so

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The 3D effect is actually shockingly good in SOR2. One of the only 3DS releases i've played so far where it feels like the 3D makes a significant difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

An equal number of people did and were incredibly baffled by the people who misinterpreted the point so

Yeah, it took me a while to get it until you better explained yourself later on. It was just the first few posts that were ambiguous. It could have gone either way until you explained what you meant later on.

• Locked thread